Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4195|Oklahoma
You're wrong and probably a liar.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Lol ok.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
"The November 6th 2012 election results passing the legal sale of beer and wine for off premise consumption. The first time any retail alcohol has been legally sold in Tyler since before prohibition. Beer and Wine first hit shelves December 28, 2012 just in time for the New Year, 52 days after the measure passed."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler,_Tex … ble_events

Considering I was there in 2002 or 2003...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Jay wrote:

Austin is ok though.
only cause all the hipsters and artistes and graduates are there innit

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-12 17:42:47)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Austin is ok though.
ok cause all the hipsters and artistes and graduates are there innit
It's a great place to party. Swamped with tall, blonde, and dumb UT chicks looking to get drunk and have a fun time.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
dumb UT? isn't the UT of austin like a better school than almost every single school that you bf2s americans have gone to? or do you mean another part of the texas system.

all i know about it is SXSW. definite hotties. but i still wouldn't go to texas. texas is the sort of place my grandparents went on holiday to, to have a go at line-dancing. it seems morbid.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
actually this conversation has reminded me. the comedian rich hall did a great documentary on texas only like 2 weeks ago. about the texan spirit. made the place seem perfectly charming. but not the sort of place any 21st century person would really want to live.

enjoy. 1:30hr of greatness. rich hall is a pretty astute film critic, too.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
UT is a huge university. Do you think all 50,000 students are brilliant?
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Jay wrote:

UT is a huge university. Do you think all 50,000 students are brilliant?
american large state colleges are really misleading. they're really well ranked, but that's mostly because of size+research output. they necessarily HAVE to be high-ranked, they've just got so much research and money to throw around. i can vaguely remember what the 'r1' colleges are in the states, just from my own research... what i don't remember is how bunk the american system is on admissions. UT at austin: 40% acceptance rate. ok you're probably right. highly ranked school, but not exactly selective.

see in the UK all 'highly ranked' research universities are like 5-15% admission. i get thrown off. i'll take your word for it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Big schools like that are as diverse as a city. You have the standout few that are there to learn and want to kick ass and can actually take advantage of all the research money and the myriad specialties of the staff which lead to interesting elective offerings, and then you have the rest who are there for the college experience and a piece of paper after four or five years. It's the sheer size of the school which allows the better students to drag the rankings up.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
85% of the rankings metric is based on the postgrad/staff research, anyway. just in the uk they're kind of synonymous, because of how a much smaller number (say the equiv of the ivy league and little ivies) dominate everything. but over there you do have huge schools with massive intakes. hence higher admission rates and hence blonde sorority girls that would make ted bundy blush.

go watch 15 mins of that rich hall link. it's good.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
I always found it amusing that US News rankings can call a university that has a 70% acceptance rate as "More selective".
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

take it to the college thread
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
take it to the i almost got raped thread
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

85% of the rankings metric is based on the postgrad/staff research, anyway. just in the uk they're kind of synonymous, because of how a much smaller number (say the equiv of the ivy league and little ivies) dominate everything. but over there you do have huge schools with massive intakes. hence higher admission rates and hence blonde sorority girls that would make ted bundy blush.

go watch 15 mins of that rich hall link. it's good.
U of L seems to be a pretty good system. Highly specific research focus' and what not. It's funny of LSE is a top econ uni but doesn't even make it that great in university "rankings." I guess being specialized gets you shot in the foot in rankings.

With state school systems they make it easier for in state students to get in as well. I had friends get into UC irvine with only 1600s SATs because they're california residents but out of state/intl students get around 1800.

The acceptence rate isnt really accurate. You can be a shitty school with a great marketing team and reject 99% of applicants and be omg top 1% of students accepted. Harvard has a high rejection rate because tons of people apply, even though they have 0 chance of making it. People applying to gerat state schools generally know they can get in.

Colleges should get rid of communications degree. wtf is that shit.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
texas should get rid of teaching abstinence.

also isn't a minor part of your own degree like tourism or management or some shit?

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-13 06:40:12)

Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4195|Oklahoma
They passed it through the senate.  It's official and my thread title is no longer incorrect!

GO TEXAS!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
can you actually offer a genuine, sincere reason why you think it's okay to legislate on matters of other peoples' most intimate lives (and personal health?) i mean, i just want to hear a good $0.02, other than the usual provocative pretend-i'm-a-redneck-stereotype crap you trot out. what is your actual belief or value system here?

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-13 06:40:27)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

texas should get rid of teaching abstinence.

also isn't a minor part of your own degree like tourism or management or some shit?
idk where you get that. i do intl biz and intl relations as my two majors.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
in what academic world is 'international business' more reputed or rigorous than communications? you derpsicle
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
Old men telling women in their prime what to do with their bodies.

I'm not surprised Texas is still waiting to evolve into the 21st century.

So called 'freedom', lol.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-07-13 07:10:29)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

in what academic world is 'international business' more reputed or rigorous than communications? you derpsicle
at least it gets me a jerb in the "field." at least I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

at least it gets me a jerb in the "field." at least I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket.
all your eggs in one basket? communications is known to be one of the most flexible degrees. also the stereotype about 'media studies' being unemployable is about 10 years out of date, in the UK now, anyway. didn't someone on this forum before state that communications majors all want to become tv news anchors? rofl.

and yeah of course international business will get you a job. but often times it's the business-students and 'management' types on campus that are looked down upon the most, as doing the least academically 'demanding' subject. at least definitely the case in uk universities, anyway. and, no surprises, 80% of them are normally international/asian students.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-13 07:12:19)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

surprises, 80% of them are normally international/asian students.
Guess i'm perpetuating the asian stereotype. communications in aus isn't media, that's what media studies is (here at least). Media/journalists majors get paid pretty shit here... you're better off working in retail for the monies.

good thing about my course is that i meet asians with monies and do that networking shit. nobody really "looks down" on any degree in australia besides "lol bachelor of arts" Which is what I'm currently doing

my lyfe is so hard zique, can you help me out with my acedemics pl0x
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i'm sure your life is fine, but i just don't get why you look down on communications studies as a junk degree. business studies is hardly the beating heart of the university, either.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard