Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548
Aren't you glad you wasted tens of thousands of dollars for a few scripts of paper?
who spent tens of thousands of dollars? i won scholarships and had the university pay for my education. cause i'm alpha like that. and where's the 'waste'? my scripts of paper got me into oxford. where i'll then be going straight into my dream career. starting salary $48k minimum. to do the thing i love the most.

not really seeing where the "tens of thousands of dollars" or "waste" is coming from. all seems pretty effective to me.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-14 09:06:13)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

rofl your school has 50k students and is not very selective entry. don't act like you're more academically gifted. you are small-change. and i'm on the oxford books now anyway, waiting for the funding window and then to be assigned a college, so who exactly are you talking to?

"more relevant than mine for the field"? my chosen field is academia. mine is as relevant as it can be. i never recommended you should study literature to work in the foreign office. i specifically said most will have PPE/politics/history/language degrees.
rofl not selective my ass. only reason why it's not "selective" is because of the ATAR system. Gee I guess the uni our prime minister went to is a shit house too because it's easier to get into ANU than my uni.
oh so a university with 50k students is selective? let's break this down. ATAR to a-levels goes like this:

http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/undergrad … onversions

international studies at UNSW is, what, 93.00? that's in the 12-14 bracket of GCE. according to the conversion, that's 3 B's (1B = 4points). most a-level students in the UK take 3-4 a-levels, minimum. entry for my course, to a university that has 6,000 students and an 11% acceptance rate, is AAA, or AAB for the 'core' traditional subjects of good esteem (AAA nominally the same as oxbridge requirement). according to ATAR-GCE conversion, one A at a-level = 5 GCE points. 15 GCE points = 98.00 ATAR. that's not counting the fact that most applicants to top UK schools will typically have 4 a-levels, not 3. some even taking up to 6 a-levels. i took 4 and got AAAB. that means my personal ATAR is 100+.

please tell me more how your school is more selective. everyone on my course had at least 98.00 ATAR points - most a lot more, because the acceptance rate is typically 9:1.

it's higher ranked worldwide because of its size and research output. simple. that's how worldwide rankings are computed. you know the methodology just as well as anyone else: big schools get ranked higher because they have way more sway. ask 2 people from around the world what conveys more elitism, UoL or UNSW, and i think the answer will be pretty simple. most of those liberal arts colleges you were just talking about in D&ST chat will be lower ranked than your school, too. is UNSW more prestigious? lol. dartmouth in the US is ranked in the sub-100's and has almost the exact same size and admission rate as my alma mater - about 8-15%. is UNSW more elite than dartmouth? haha. okay. let's not even get onto the widespread debate in higher-education academic networks about how australian universities get artificially-boosted ratings because of their anglo-status. here's a paper or two for you:

'Global University Rankings: Implications in general and for australia'
"the Times Higher rankings enhance the standing of Australian universities to a remarkable extent"

http://www.theage.com.au/news/education … 47685.html
'league table 'inflates' Australian universities'.

don't let the figures hurt your ego, though.

Boom headshot?

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-14 09:16:00)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5010
funny thing is, in Aus if you're an intl student in high school you get bonus points for going into uni. if you get your HS diploma from overseas the ATAR-SAT/GSCE/IB/ chart is extremely scaled towards overseas students. Pretty smart way of making that foreign cash flow while kicking them out in 2 years when they can't hack it.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548
sure, okay. i'm sure a british student with the required grades to go to a top UK school wouldn't hack it at an australian university. i'm sure someone who made it into a <10% selective elite school would get booted from that 50,000 person aussie university. just such a tough environment.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-14 09:22:13)

Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2489|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

my dream career. starting salary $48k

.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5010

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

sure, okay. i'm sure a british student with the required grades to go to a top UK school wouldn't hack it at an australian university. i'm sure someone who made it into a <10% selective elite school would get booted from that 50,000 person aussie university. just such a tough environment.
k ziques, nice opinion on different systems. my life must be going to be shit knowing im gradding from a top uni in this country and probably will pull 60k a year on my first job. such a rough life i should kym.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548
being paid $48k in your late-20's with no housing bills and a career where you teach your favourite literature to excited 18yo's seems like a great deal to me. the pay-scale quickly increases through your 30's and 40's, too. full profs make $100k+ a year. none of that even counts extra work giving lectures, educational consultancy, book sales/publishing royalties, etc. and again, this isn't a job that is drudgery. this is a job lecturing on the stuff that you find intellectually compelling. i am certainly not ever going to complain. feels like i've lucked out to be on a career ladder to just read and write on my favourite books all day and get paid for it.

plus sit at a dinner table and tell someone you have a Dphil from oxford and you're an academic. you can tell them you manage roughnecks and make more bank. who will they be more impressed with? lol.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-14 09:30:06)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5010

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

the pay-scale quickly increases through your 30's and 40's, too. full profs make $100k+ a year. n.
youre gonna make cougs laugh again.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2489|Oklahoma

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

sure, okay. i'm sure a british student with the required grades to go to a top UK school wouldn't hack it at an australian university. i'm sure someone who made it into a <10% selective elite school would get booted from that 50,000 person aussie university. just such a tough environment.
k ziques, nice opinion on different systems. my life must be going to be shit knowing im gradding from a top uni in this country and probably will pull 60k a year on my first job. such a rough life i should kym.
Uzique with his clearly superior education pulling his 48,000 a year dream job.  We poor and miserable troglodytes could never understand such epicness.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2489|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

being paid $48k in your late-20's with no housing bills and a career where you teach your favourite literature to excited 18yo's seems like a great deal to me. the pay-scale quickly increases through your 30's and 40's, too. full profs make $100k+ a year. none of that even counts extra work giving lectures, educational consultancy, book sales/publishing royalties, etc. and again, this isn't a job that is drudgery. this is a job lecturing on the stuff that you find intellectually compelling. i am certainly not ever going to complain. feels like i've lucked out to be on a career ladder to just read and write on my favourite books all day and get paid for it.

plus sit at a dinner table and tell someone you have a Dphil from oxford and you're an academic. you can tell them you manage roughnecks and make more bank. who will they be more impressed with? lol.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

You are so precious.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

the pay-scale quickly increases through your 30's and 40's, too. full profs make $100k+ a year. n.
youre gonna make cougs laugh again.
yeah, money is everything. i'd rather make $30k a year and be an interesting person than a redneck that makes millions. i come from a family of big-earners. it doesn't interest me or impress me. people with money are not necessarily more interesting or more fulfilled. my parents would have paid for me to go to a top law school if i wanted. bringing it all down to 'how much can you earn?' is laughable.

and again, enjoy your life. let me know when you get that foreign services job. please send me a letter. you can stop talking about your school being more selective though. on paper it isn't. and ask any academic about the ranking of australian universities and they will tell you just the same as i have. i know that obviously hurts you, because your posts are redolent with denial.

plus aren't you the guy that was excitedly PM'ing me one time because one of your teachers spent a year at cambridge or kings? lol now you're talking about how selective and great aussie educations are. you're obviously at such an elite and selective place. nobody gets excited when they are taught by an oxbridge graduate here. it's standard.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548

Extra Medium wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

sure, okay. i'm sure a british student with the required grades to go to a top UK school wouldn't hack it at an australian university. i'm sure someone who made it into a <10% selective elite school would get booted from that 50,000 person aussie university. just such a tough environment.
k ziques, nice opinion on different systems. my life must be going to be shit knowing im gradding from a top uni in this country and probably will pull 60k a year on my first job. such a rough life i should kym.
Uzique with his clearly superior education pulling his 48,000 a year dream job.  We poor and miserable troglodytes could never understand such epicness.
money is literally the lowest thing on my list of 'wants' in a job. you don't get it, do you? some people don't have to work a job with no education to scramble for money. i am sorted, for life.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2489|Oklahoma
You really have no idea do you?  Oh god it makes so much sense now.

Tell me more about how you want to be an interesting person.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548
how i 'want' to be an interesting person? all i've said is that i'm on track towards my dream career. good for you if you are too. however i get the impression your current job isn't what you told your kindergarten teacher it was what you wanted to be when you grow up. but that's okay. you make more money!!!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5010

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

and again, enjoy your life. let me know when you get that foreign services job. please send me a letter. you can stop talking about your school being more selective though. on paper it isn't. and ask any academic about the ranking of australian universities and they will tell you just the same as i have.
still one of the top uni in this country which will get me pretty employed. yeah im sure the foreign service is really crying for more "qualified" academics. hah. you know nothing jon snow.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

and again, enjoy your life. let me know when you get that foreign services job. please send me a letter. you can stop talking about your school being more selective though. on paper it isn't. and ask any academic about the ranking of australian universities and they will tell you just the same as i have.
still one of the top uni in this country which will get me pretty employed. yeah im sure the foreign service is really crying for more "qualified" academics. hah. you know nothing jon snow.
you linked their job requirements earlier. it said someone "intellectually strong". ha ha. okay good luck. maybe you have a completely different persona away from this forum, and you're actually quite learned and erudite and intellectual. not going to claim i know anything about people's lives away from the keyboard. but, on here, all you do is make one-line snipes and bandwagon with a bunch of rednecks. you don't strike me as cerebral. would love to be pleasantly surprised, though. international business is a real heavy hitter. especially with those entry requirements. phew.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5010

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

and again, enjoy your life. let me know when you get that foreign services job. please send me a letter. you can stop talking about your school being more selective though. on paper it isn't. and ask any academic about the ranking of australian universities and they will tell you just the same as i have.
still one of the top uni in this country which will get me pretty employed. yeah im sure the foreign service is really crying for more "qualified" academics. hah. you know nothing jon snow.
you linked their job requirements earlier. it said someone "intellectually strong". ha ha. okay good luck. maybe you have a completely different persona away from this forum, and you're actually quite learned and erudite and intellectual. not going to claim i know anything about people's lives away from the keyboard. but, on here, all you do is make one-line snipes and bandwagon with a bunch of rednecks. you don't strike me as cerebral. would love to be pleasantly surprised, though. international business is a real heavy hitter. especially with those entry requirements. phew.
yeah because working in foreign service is the only career i can have. if i dont make it i should jump out a window amirite.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2489|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

how i 'want' to be an interesting person? all i've said is that i'm on track towards my dream career. good for you if you are too. however i get the impression your current job isn't what you told your kindergarten teacher it was what you wanted to be when you grow up. but that's okay. you make more money!!!
You're dream career is shit and you'll never contribute anything of value to society.

Actually that's wrong, I'm sure the people that lay in bed and fart themselves to sleep reading a shitty book you wrote/reviewed/recommended will be slightly impacted by your useless "cultural" career.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

still one of the top uni in this country which will get me pretty employed. yeah im sure the foreign service is really crying for more "qualified" academics. hah. you know nothing jon snow.
you linked their job requirements earlier. it said someone "intellectually strong". ha ha. okay good luck. maybe you have a completely different persona away from this forum, and you're actually quite learned and erudite and intellectual. not going to claim i know anything about people's lives away from the keyboard. but, on here, all you do is make one-line snipes and bandwagon with a bunch of rednecks. you don't strike me as cerebral. would love to be pleasantly surprised, though. international business is a real heavy hitter. especially with those entry requirements. phew.
yeah because working in foreign service is the only career i can have. if i dont make it i should jump out a window amirite.
lol well what the fuck. i'm just addressing the ambitions you have posted here. of course it's easy to say "well what if i want to do something else?" nowhere did i say you're never going to get a job. all i said, AGAIN, was that most diplomats and people in the civil services are very well-educated. all i said is that it is extremely competitive. lol jesus. now you're saying 'what if i want to do something else?' well good for you! jesus h. christ. hahaha.

yes medium, lay it on, thick and heavy. come on big boy.

oh, & *your, not "you're". for someone berating a cultural education you sure could use a few elementary school grammar lessons. if you'd like, i can offer you one-on-one tutoring. i'll even use your favourite skype service. my expertise begins at $70/hr.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-14 09:52:10)

Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2489|Oklahoma
Did you borrow your grammar nazi uniform from Prince Harry?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5010
apparently being in a top uni in australia and doing IR as a degree and getting pretty good marks means I'm not well educated. oh well.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548
i wouldn't say it's being a pedant or grammar nazi to point out such an obvious and glaring flaw. i'm hardly correcting you on your participles or use of the subordinate clause. i am not calling you out for asyndeton. i am saying it is "your", because "you're" with an apostrophe means "you are". which makes no sense. this is the stuff you teach an 8 year old. and i raised it because you are ranting about how pointless education in culture is. yes, it is something you clearly lack.

do you want my skype username? i will literally help you with your writing if you want. i am compassionate and patient. i see through your rage. i am willing to help you. with a simple paypal transaction we could be on our way tonight.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2548

Cybargs wrote:

apparently being in a top uni in australia and doing IR as a degree and getting pretty good marks means I'm not well educated. oh well.
didn't you say you had to repeat a year or something? i swear you've spoken about poor grades before.

again, i wish you the best of luck. this whole conversation started because you were shitting on communications majors. my essential point is that you are not exactly way up the academic ladder on an exclusive-prestigious course yourself. worry about your own business (studies).
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5010

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

apparently being in a top uni in australia and doing IR as a degree and getting pretty good marks means I'm not well educated. oh well.
didn't you say you had to repeat a year or something? i swear you've spoken about poor grades before.
nope.avi

had to defer a semester because the IR courses i needed to take had no spots. sux2bme but shit happens.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2489|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i wouldn't say it's being a pedant or grammar nazi to point out such an obvious and glaring flaw. i'm hardly correcting you on your participles or use of the subordinate clause. i am not calling you out for asyndeton. i am saying it is "your", because "you're" with an apostrophe means "you are". which makes no sense. this is the stuff you teach an 8 year old. and i raised it because you are ranting about how pointless education in culture is. yes, it is something you clearly lack.

do you want my skype username? i will literally help you with your writing if you want. i am compassionate and patient. i see through your rage. i am willing to help you. with a simple paypal transaction we could be on our way tonight.
I'm not raging.  I'd rather sit on my enormous pile of money and have bad grammar then be a poor fuck like you and have pretty words to use on a defunct gaming forum talking about abortions.

I think when I get off work today I'll go buy a $1000 gun for no other reason than I can.  I'll just add it to the pile.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2019 Jeff Minard