Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2481|Oklahoma
Texas just passed a bill that effectively shuts down most abortion clinics (or at the very least makes it incredibly difficult to obtain one.)  Good on Texas.

In your opinion is this good or bad?  Are you Pro Life or Pro Choice?



http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06 … tion-bill/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/politics/ … ?hpt=hp_t2
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+282|5061|Moscow, Russia
i'm pro-common sense. but in texas they seemingly never heard about the principal.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+626|4577|Washington St.
bad. it was clearly religion based, they lied (as every politician does, no matter your allegiance or state) and said it wasn't.

and pro choice.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|5061|Noizyland

Pretty controversial as I understand it. Senator Wendy Davis filibustered the thing, it was a bit of a mess and the bill's opponents started celebrating as the clock hit midnight without a vote being cast. Then the Senate voted on the bill anyway and passed it, effectively breaking their own rules. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2481|Oklahoma
I'm Pro-Life and I think it was a great decision.  This issue is also one of the reasons I'm a strong advocate of states rights.  Texas is an overwhelmingly conservative state as well as a religious state.  Whether you agree with conservatism or religion, the fact of the matter is that the majority of people in Texas believe in these things and the laws and policies should follow what the majority wants.  That's what Texas did and I think it's great.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2481|Oklahoma

Ty wrote:

Pretty controversial as I understand it. Senator Wendy Davis filibustered the thing, it was a bit of a mess and the bill's opponents started celebrating as the clock hit midnight without a vote being cast. Then the Senate voted on the bill anyway and passed it, effectively breaking their own rules. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Honestly I hope that it doesn't get overturned due to a technicality on a filibuster.  I'm not a fan of filibusters as it is pretty much always the will of the few trying to beat out the will of many by using a technical loophole.  So for a technicality to be called on a technical tactic...well that just goes to show one of the blaring issues with our system.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|2481|Oklahoma
OK so now, apparently, the bill failed and was misreported.  Filibuster failed, then the reason for the filibuster failing failed, then they actually failed to vote, then..........something something fail.

Everyone is confused and full of FAIL.  See you again in 6 months abortion bill.

Last edited by Extra Medium (2013-06-26 02:26:54)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2540

Extra Medium wrote:

Ty wrote:

Pretty controversial as I understand it. Senator Wendy Davis filibustered the thing, it was a bit of a mess and the bill's opponents started celebrating as the clock hit midnight without a vote being cast. Then the Senate voted on the bill anyway and passed it, effectively breaking their own rules. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Honestly I hope that it doesn't get overturned due to a technicality on a filibuster.  I'm not a fan of filibusters as it is pretty much always the will of the few trying to beat out the will of many by using a technical loophole.  So for a technicality to be called on a technical tactic...well that just goes to show one of the blaring issues with our system.
that's because sometimes, in a poorly functioning democracy (i.e. an unenlightened one), the many can oppress the few.

especially when the many are religious bigots with an ethics that is 2000 years old.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2540

Extra Medium wrote:

OK so now, apparently, the bill failed and was misreported.  Filibuster failed, then the reason for the filibuster failing failed, then they actually failed to vote, then..........something something fail.

Everyone is confused and full of FAIL.  See you again in 6 months abortion bill.

why do you care so much that mothers in a state you don't live in want to terminate early-term pregnancies?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,611|4392|eXtreme to the maX

Extra Medium wrote:

the laws and policies should follow what the majority wants
No need for dreary hindrances like the constitution then.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,965|3644|London, England

Extra Medium wrote:

I'm Pro-Life and I think it was a great decision.  This issue is also one of the reasons I'm a strong advocate of states rights.  Texas is an overwhelmingly conservative state as well as a religious state.  Whether you agree with conservatism or religion, the fact of the matter is that the majority of people in Texas believe in these things and the laws and policies should follow what the majority wants.  That's what Texas did and I think it's great.
Is that why your type are always blathering about closing the borders and bitching about anchor babies? You contradict yourself. In previous posts you've called this country a republic, not a democracy. A republic lessens the impact of what the mob wants. The majority doesn't matter. Everything comes down to what our representatives want, and that is often quite different from what you or I want.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2540
'conservative juggernauts' often think with their emotions, rather than their intellects. conservatives' politics are always a little fatally close to the heart. of course, the obvious riposte is that the lefties (as if america has any) are always far too cerebral, analytical, and ineffectual (hi france).
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|4285|...
There is no comparison to be made with france, if only they were more cerebral and analytical.

as for what happened in Texas, it's just proof of the fact that some pretty large parts of the USA are still some 50 years behind the rest of the western world in terms of social development. Ugh.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-06-26 04:14:16)

inane little opines
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2540
i am referring to the last real 'left' europe had, which was france, may, 1968. after that it was theory and endless analysis based around trying to bring together lacanian psychoanalysis with fucking neo-hegelianism. right on, left-wing politics! it was a passing reference, anyway. the generalisation generally still stands. the left has been in a theoretical 'what do we do?' stasis for decades. conservatives think with their beliefs.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|4285|...
Well, can't disagree with that.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,965|3644|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

'conservative juggernauts' often think with their emotions, rather than their intellects. conservatives' politics are always a little fatally close to the heart. of course, the obvious riposte is that the lefties (as if america has any) are always far too cerebral, analytical, and ineffectual (hi france).
Really? The left is more cerebral? Too funny. Just because universities became coopted a hundred years ago doesn't give any more intellectual weight to 99% of leftist policies. They're all emotion-based.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2540
when did i say 'more intellectual weight'? more complex? what? the right is a politics of ACTING - look at its extreme version, fascism. a politics of pure acting. the will to power. etc. the left has been tied up in theoretical issues and stagnant for decades. no action. that's all i'm saying. where did i mention universities or difficulty? how odd.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,965|3644|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

when did i say 'more intellectual weight'? more complex? what? the right is a politics of ACTING - look at its extreme version, fascism. a politics of pure acting. the will to power. etc. the left has been tied up in theoretical issues and stagnant for decades. no action. that's all i'm saying. where did i mention universities or difficulty? how odd.
What great issues exist today? Slums and tenements? Gone. Sweatshops? Gone. Food safety? Gone, no matter what the anti-GMO crowd thinks. Wealth disparity? Never going away.

The only stuff left are issues that impact tiny minorities like gay marriage. There's no reason to create mass movements. Hell, you were forced to protest college tuition going up a modest amount because you had nothing else. The only real issues left are freedom and privacy, but that flies in the face of the government expansion the left wanted to supposedly fix issues that never really existed.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|5061|Noizyland

Extra Medium wrote:

Ty wrote:

Pretty controversial as I understand it. Senator Wendy Davis filibustered the thing, it was a bit of a mess and the bill's opponents started celebrating as the clock hit midnight without a vote being cast. Then the Senate voted on the bill anyway and passed it, effectively breaking their own rules. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Honestly I hope that it doesn't get overturned due to a technicality on a filibuster.  I'm not a fan of filibusters as it is pretty much always the will of the few trying to beat out the will of many by using a technical loophole.  So for a technicality to be called on a technical tactic...well that just goes to show one of the blaring issues with our system.
I don't like the idea of filibusters either, it seems a needlessly exhausting way to undermine democracy. Thing is that democracy isn't the best way to serve the interests of the minority - in this case women, (who are really the majority though not in terms of holding political office.) There's that analogy, "democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on who to have for dinner."

Here you have a woman standing up for woman's rights in a male dominated arena, it wasn't really something that was going to be solved by a democratic vote. While I don't like the process, a filibuster was justifiable.

I'm glad the cluster-fuck of technicalities meant the bill failed to pass this time around but I don't approve of the process of causing it to fail either. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2540

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

when did i say 'more intellectual weight'? more complex? what? the right is a politics of ACTING - look at its extreme version, fascism. a politics of pure acting. the will to power. etc. the left has been tied up in theoretical issues and stagnant for decades. no action. that's all i'm saying. where did i mention universities or difficulty? how odd.
What great issues exist today? Slums and tenements? Gone. Sweatshops? Gone. Food safety? Gone, no matter what the anti-GMO crowd thinks. Wealth disparity? Never going away.

The only stuff left are issues that impact tiny minorities like gay marriage. There's no reason to create mass movements. Hell, you were forced to protest college tuition going up a modest amount because you had nothing else. The only real issues left are freedom and privacy, but that flies in the face of the government expansion the left wanted to supposedly fix issues that never really existed.
wow. fucking rofl.

also 'modest amount'? they TRIPLED. it didn't effect me, by the way. i'm just a little amused that a generation who went to school for FREE are tripling the fees an 18yo will have to pay because of a banking crisis. call me a pedant.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-26 05:49:33)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|4828|Texas - Bigger than France
Well, the media on this one is a little out of control.  The bill had two aspects, one of which was to require upgrades to the facilities that provide these services.  I think its ridiculous to allow these clinics to perform an abortion when they are equipped around the same level as a Doc-in-a-box and well below a minor surgery center.
Good grief glad this didn't go through and I doubt it will.
As a native Texan i can proudly say Pro choice!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,965|3644|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

when did i say 'more intellectual weight'? more complex? what? the right is a politics of ACTING - look at its extreme version, fascism. a politics of pure acting. the will to power. etc. the left has been tied up in theoretical issues and stagnant for decades. no action. that's all i'm saying. where did i mention universities or difficulty? how odd.
What great issues exist today? Slums and tenements? Gone. Sweatshops? Gone. Food safety? Gone, no matter what the anti-GMO crowd thinks. Wealth disparity? Never going away.

The only stuff left are issues that impact tiny minorities like gay marriage. There's no reason to create mass movements. Hell, you were forced to protest college tuition going up a modest amount because you had nothing else. The only real issues left are freedom and privacy, but that flies in the face of the government expansion the left wanted to supposedly fix issues that never really existed.
wow. fucking rofl.

also 'modest amount'? they TRIPLED. it didn't effect me, by the way. i'm just a little amused that a generation who went to school for FREE are tripling the fees an 18yo will have to pay because of a banking crisis. call me a pedant.
You know im right tho. Theyve tried to make large issues out of stuff that is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Its made people tune out. What was the ultimate point of OWS? nothing.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|3464|Sydney
Pro-choice. It's called freedom.

And before people think this is a great idea please tell me how great drug prohibition has been working.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-06-26 07:53:01)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+381|2540

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

What great issues exist today? Slums and tenements? Gone. Sweatshops? Gone. Food safety? Gone, no matter what the anti-GMO crowd thinks. Wealth disparity? Never going away.

The only stuff left are issues that impact tiny minorities like gay marriage. There's no reason to create mass movements. Hell, you were forced to protest college tuition going up a modest amount because you had nothing else. The only real issues left are freedom and privacy, but that flies in the face of the government expansion the left wanted to supposedly fix issues that never really existed.
wow. fucking rofl.

also 'modest amount'? they TRIPLED. it didn't effect me, by the way. i'm just a little amused that a generation who went to school for FREE are tripling the fees an 18yo will have to pay because of a banking crisis. call me a pedant.
You know im right tho. Theyve tried to make large issues out of stuff that is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Its made people tune out. What was the ultimate point of OWS? nothing.
are you trying to suggest OWS is representative of the 'left-wing'? most of OWS were middle-class liberals. that is not left wing politics.

also if you had read marx or engaged with any post-marxist thought you would not make such a stupid comment as "what is there left to argue over?" i hope you realize marxism #101 is 'no change without complete change'. failing that, there's a lot of clever hegelian chicanery (which i'm sure you're familiar with) justifying specific gender- or identity- or niche- issues in post-marxist discourse. which are all still very much relevant.

as to your contention "there are no more slums, there are no more sweatshops, wealth disparity will never change"... i counsel you to look at a local map, look at an atlas, and read a fucking book. wealth disparity of the sort we see nowadays is a very recent phenomenon (in post-democratic europe, at least). as for no more slums or sweatshops... really? just because western capital has exported them abroad, out of sight, doesn't mean they are out of mind for the left-wing. the last words of marx's manifesto are, after all, "workers of the WORLD..."

i am not into left-wing politics and i'm not in support of any party/line. however your comments are utterly retarded, it is plain for anyone to see. no more slums. okay jay. don't forget your home-friends now you're living in your mock-tudor apartment.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-26 08:45:57)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2019 Jeff Minard