_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6724|Riva, MD
I've heard that Congress is trying to do this and I'm wondering if it would be a good thing or a bad thing overall.

I know that it would hurt small businesses and might make inflation worse, but I also know it would obviously help everybody who gets minimum wage already to make a living off of it
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Bad thing. Don't tinker with the economy in such a big way right now. Maybe later if we get unemployment down. I don't care for small businesses though so their longterm viability means nothing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5365|London, England

_j5689_ wrote:

I've heard that Congress is trying to do this and I'm wondering if it would be a good thing or a bad thing overall.

I know that it would hurt small businesses and might make inflation worse, but I also know it would obviously help everybody who gets minimum wage already to make a living off of it
Raising the minimum wage makes more people poor.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

That is a gross oversimplification.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

I've explained it in depth previously, do a research, noob.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6744|Oxferd Ohire
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Don't rolleyes me you bastard!
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Might as well just read a reason.com article in that case
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Nah, it's pretty basic economics.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Depends on what economist you listen to it.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6504

it'll happen, obama can't help himself. wheter it's good, it all depends on how immigration policy pans out . . .
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6482|Foothills of S. Carolina

Sure, raise min wage to 10.10 per hour, cost of everything goes up to compensate for the people who are trying to make a living with an entry level job. Meanwhile, the people who have been with the same company for a while, and barely get a cost of living wage get screwed because their hourly pay did not just increase almost 3.00. Sounds like a good plan.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

This is both good and bad. The good is that $7.25/hr is piddling for the cost of living in the US. The bad is that increasing the minimum by three dollars means that basic costs and unemployment will both go up. Meanwhile, more kids continue to leave school to compete with a more experienced workforce looking for the same employment.

If they raise it at all, it should be by cents, not dollars.

And why is it Obama's fault for what congress toys with? There's only so much power the executive branch has.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6674

Minimum wage should never be a living wage.   Jobs that pay minimum wage should never be a career.  It's a part time high turnover wage for folks like teenagers.

There are a shit ton of jobs that already pay over $10 that take less than 6 months of learning/training effort.   

But no let's screw over those who made an effort and bettered  themselves making over minimum wage.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4261
because everyone has the opportunity to better themselves! and those making minimum wage deserve their penury.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Ilocano wrote:

Minimum wage should never be a living wage.   Jobs that pay minimum wage should never be a career.  It's a part time high turnover wage for folks like teenagers.

There are a shit ton of jobs that already pay over $10 that take less than 6 months of learning/training effort.   

But no let's screw over those who made an effort and bettered  themselves making over minimum wage.
I agree. Let's keep the poor people in their place. Want that extra sack of apples? HAH!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Instead of making businesses pay people who lack education and opportunity a wage they can live off of, I rather they pay them pay pennies and make the government pay out welfare and for their food stamps.
Canin

Ilocano wrote:

I agree with this.

If someone who has had a career job and lost it has to take a minimum wage job and supplement it with government assistance for a time, that is fine. I think they call it being under employed.

Those who are under employed should continue to look for a better paying job, not resign themselves to a minimum wage job and hope the government increases the minimum wage to make up what they lost.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Canin wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I agree with this.

If someone who has had a career job and lost it has to take a minimum wage job and supplement it with government assistance for a time, that is fine. I think they call it being under employed.

Those who are under employed should continue to look for a better paying job, not resign themselves to a minimum wage job and hope the government increases the minimum wage to make up what they lost.
Aren't you a delivery person?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6674

Like prior minimum wage increases one will get a higher wage but take on the additional responsibility of the one who gets  fired.
Canin

Macbeth wrote:

Canin wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I agree with this.

Aren't you a delivery person?
No, I repair food equipment. Its a skilled trade. I am making over 20.00 an hour. My wife stays at home with my 4 kids, and I am able to barely support everything we need.

And what do you do, since you are so inclined to have the minimum wage raised?

Last edited by Canin (2013-04-24 18:03:37)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I agree. Let's keep the poor people in their place. Want that extra sack of apples? HAH!
There will always be poor people. Raising the minimum wage just creates more of them.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4261

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

There will always be poor people. Raising the minimum wage just creates more of them.
dunno, jay. government stimulus got you out of the poor bracket, didn't it? you speak a little too fatalistically of the poor's plight, considering your own trajectory...
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6674

Just try to get a day laborer for $10/hr.  Good luck on that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I've explained it in depth previously, do a research, noob.
You're still wrong.

Copy-pasting an article from some Libertard blog is not going to help you either.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-04-24 19:34:46)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard