Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

Transgender mixed martial artist Fallon Fox, the 37-year old fighter who was born a man and underwent gender reassignment surgery in 2006, became the face of a contentious debate among the medical and scientific communities when her past was brought to light in early March.

Weeks later, the MMA community also remains split on the issue. While some of Fox's contemporaries, including former Strikeforce champion Cris "Cyborg" Santos and UFC fighter Julie Kedzie, have voiced support for Fox's cause, several notable figures within the sport, including UFC ringside announcer Joe Rogan and UFC bantamweight contender Miesha Tate, have staunchly opposed the idea of a former man fighting women.

UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez falls into the latter category.

"I don't think she should be able to fight women," Velasquez flatly responded when asked about Fox at a recent media luncheon.

"Having the same bone structure and everything else as a man, I think definitely does give her an advantage."

Fox has already booked her next fight in the semifinals of Championships Fighting Alliance's women's featherweight tournament, a result that seemed dicey as recently as a few weeks ago. The Florida State Boxing Commission continues to review Fox's license.
So should she be allowed to fight or does she have an unfair advantage? I think she has an unfair advantage especially in this sport. It is easier to impose your will on others when you are stronger physically.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England
No.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
haha i love this poetic line macbeth always uses to stroke-up combat sports as "imposing your will upon others". like it's some grand fucking schopenhauerian spectacle, and not just two brawny guys having a good cuddle. "i am going to impose my will upon you!".
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6480|cuntshitlake

the reason men and women are separated in sports is physical difference, which does not change in a transgender operation. she might be a woman but her bone and muscle structures are male so the advantage is obvious.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6731|Purplicious Wisconsin
The thing is still a man as far as muscles go, so no.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

War Man wrote:

the thing. how sensitive and mature of you war man.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5982|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

War Man wrote:

the thing. how sensitive and mature of you war man.
THE THING ROFL
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

I'd say no, because drugs shouldn't be used in sport. Transgendered are often on hormone therapy such as taking testosterone.

That's unfair to the female competitors, as testosterone clearly increases sporting performance.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4542|at your six
Having a cock is not just a state of mind.

No.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

A2TG2 wrote:

Having a cock is not just a state of mind.

No.
How would you know?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6514

lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I know you're trying to be PC there AR but it doesn't matter if they cut off their penis or add a nub, they are still physically of that sex. All the hormone therapy in the world won't make a male a female or a female a male. If a female cut off her tits and took testosterone she would still be a female physically and get destroyed by men in a ring. The 'female' in the op is still a man physically and should not be allowed to fight.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5195|Sydney

AussieReaper wrote:

I'd say no, because drugs shouldn't be used in sport. Transgendered are often on hormone therapy such as taking testosterone.

That's unfair to the female competitors, as testosterone clearly increases sporting performance.
Correct.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

Jaekus wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Correct.
well it's not correct, as androoz pointed out (!!! you mongs!). why would a man -> female be taking testosterone?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

If transgendered people are allowed to play their new sex's sports, steroids should be made legal.
Jaekus
+957|5195|Sydney
I saw it as the first paragraph saying drugs shouldn't be used in sport and the second paragraph meaning if the drugs were not taken testosterone would be at normal levels (ie. 16-20 times that of women) and that being on obviously unfair advantage.
Jaekus
+957|5195|Sydney
So AR was wrong about the taking testosterone part.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

I saw it as the first paragraph saying drugs shouldn't be used in sport and the second paragraph meaning if the drugs were not taken testosterone would be at normal levels (ie. 16-20 times that of women) and that being on obviously unfair advantage.
Yeah, because the decades of development as a male can be undone with a few pills
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5195|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah, because the decades of development as a male can be undone with a few pills
Testosterone is a key hormone for muscle growth. It's why female body builders on anabolic steroids have masculine physiques. Surely it's not hard to understand if the reverse happened (ie. significantly reduced testosterone) the reverse would occur, as there wouldn't be the hormones to maintain muscle mass.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Testosterone is a key hormone for muscle growth. It's why female body builders on anabolic steroids have masculine physiques. Surely it's not hard to understand if the reverse happened (ie. significantly reduced testosterone) the reverse would occur, as there wouldn't be the hormones to maintain muscle mass.
It doesn't matter. The person would still have a heavier bone structure, more innate muscle mass, and will likely be faster. You can't undo puberty with pills.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5195|Sydney
I agree there, just clarifying the point about muscle mass.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Would you want to see male->female cheerleaders?

Men should play men sports, and women should stick to hot-oil wrestling and foxy boxing.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
with such enlightened views i'm frankly surprised you don't have a family of your own dilbert!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6707|Tampa Bay Florida
Show Us Your Peniss
BVC
+325|6712
Gender segregation in sporting competitions is done for a very good reason - the physiques of men & women are vastly different, to the point where most sports just wouldn't offer fair competition if they only offered mixed-gendered events.  eg. Boxing or rugby.

Until it is possible to completely resequence a person's DNA, and alter their physique (height, muscles, natural hormone production etc) to be what it would be had they been born as their post-op, then I would say no.

Thats a generalised claim, mind you, and doesn't cover edge cases.  In some case there might, for example, be a case for adding TG categories alongside mens/womens ones.  There are also some sports where where physique perhaps doesn't mean genders can't compete on a level playing field.  eg. Archery or shooting

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard