Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
https://wpr-public.s3.amazonaws.com/wprorg/styles/resp_orig_custom_user_wide_1x/s3/field/image/statue2.jpg?itok=2hbYVoz-

Two famous statues were pulled down by protesters gathered around the state Capitol in Madison on Tuesday night.

The two statues -- the Forward statue, located on the west entrance to Capitol Square at the end of State Street, and Hans Christian Heg statue, located on the east entrance of the Capitol at the King Street corner of the square -- were removed from their pedestals.

Protesters took the Heg statue and dumped in Lake Monona, almost a half-mile from where it was toppled at Capitol Square.

Jean Miner designed "Forward," an allegorical bronze statue of a woman raising her right arm as a symbol of progress.

https://www.wpr.org/protesters-tear-dow … te-capitol

Hans Christian Heg (December 21, 1829 – September 20, 1863) was a Norwegian American journalist, anti-slavery activist, politician and soldier, best known for leading the Scandinavian 15th Wisconsin Volunteer Regiment in the American Civil War. He died of the wounds he received at the Battle of Chickamauga.

Heg became a rising young politician who found slavery abhorrent. He naturally became an ardent member of the Free Soil Party.[3] Heg was a major in the 4th Wisconsin Militia and served as Wisconsin State Prison Commissioner. He was the first Norwegian-born candidate elected statewide in Wisconsin.

He soon joined the recently formed Republican Party. He was an outspoken anti-slavery activist and a leader of Wisconsin's Wide Awakes, an anti-slave catcher militia.[4][5] During this time, he sheltered Sherman Booth, who was made a federal fugitive after inciting a mob to rescue an escaped slave.

In 1860, Heg was elected commissioner of the state prison in Waupun, and served there for two years. Heg spearheaded many reforms to the prison, believing that prisons should be used to "reclaim the wandering and save the lost."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Christian_Heg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
It's certainly possible that the protesters are going too far with their iconoclasm. I still blame the state for letting conditions get so bad that these protest even started though.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It's certainly possible that the protesters are going too far with their iconoclasm. I still blame the state for letting conditions get so bad that these protest even started though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
What's so funny about that?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

It's not really difficult for me to be more annoyed at the people who helped engineer the climate for something like this than at the people who are lashing out because they feel as if they have no other voice or recourse. It's ironic that statues of abolitionists and stuff are being vandalized (see education; also who knows if every act of this is on the level). But more troubling to me when bystanders and peaceful protesters are getting their heads cracked open by rabid riot police.

Also you won't catch me weeping over gaudy Confederate monuments erected long after the fact, and outside the context of museums and graveyards. "We're just defending our heritage" has to be one of the weakest excuses for something belligerently installed to defend segregation and oppose civil rights.

Re: Trump tells AZ students the left is waging war against their heritage. Very attractive line for people to hunker down with and cosplay victimhood.
uziq
+492|3443
i'm very suspicious of people who get more upset over statues and monuments than dead human beings.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
The Confederacy is Jay's heritage. His dad has a tattoo to prove it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

uziq wrote:

i'm very suspicious of people who get more upset over statues and monuments than dead human beings.
Right?

Like, is it more difficult to clean/restore a statue or to raise the dead. Not to mention people with concussions and damage to their senses that will cause issues for the rest of their lives.

No, it's "did you hear about the Conquistador getting pulled over?" or whatever from someone who intentionally overlooks news about innocent people getting plugged in the skull by LEOs.

Hard Yikes.

e: It's not surprising to me that some of the same people who are more concerned about The Economy than COVID-19 are also more worried about statues than human lives.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What's so funny about that?
Who instigated this stuff? This is 100% left wing crap. "It's Trumps fault we're all behaving badly!" Ok.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

e: It's not surprising to me that some of the same people who are more concerned about The Economy than COVID-19 are also more worried about statues than human lives.
It's an unfortunate reality of American politics that people take on these political identities that make very different issues equal matters of faith. I mean 9 times out of 10, if someone is against abortion you can be sure they are also pro-second amendment. You really shouldn't be able to guess someone's viewpoint on the death penalty by how they feel about the welfare state. This is why I think conservatism in America is psychological state rather than political philosophy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's an unfortunate reality of American politics that people take on these political identities that make very different issues equal matters of faith. I mean 9 times out of 10, if someone is against abortion you can be sure they are also pro-second amendment. You really shouldn't be able to guess someone's viewpoint on the death penalty by how they feel about the welfare state. This is why I think conservatism in America is psychological state rather than political philosophy.
Do you? And you, who have a history of mental illness, fit right in among the liberals.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Aren't you in a bit of a glass house for this, Jay? I understand you weren't at your best before you joined the Army.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Do you? And you, who have a history of mental illness, fit right in among the liberals.
I still carry less emotional baggage and resentment than you do. Smarter and better educated too.

And I remember you spoke about how you sat with a pistol in your hands contemplating killing yourself when you got out of the Army because you were a sad veteran. I am sorry you never got help for that.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
But not smart enough for a police department to reject you
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Aren't you in a bit of a glass house for this, Jay? I understand you weren't at your best before you joined the Army.
Because I was depressed because my dad was in a coma? Yeah, sure, it's equivalent.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I still carry less emotional baggage and resentment than you do. Smarter and better educated too.

And I remember you spoke about how you sat with a pistol in your hands contemplating killing yourself when you got out of the Army because you were a sad veteran. I am sorry you never got help for that.
Nope. Never happened.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

RTHKI wrote:

But not smart enough for a police department to reject you
I am a brown person. The police need me around to vouch for them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Nope. Never happened.
Uh huh, I am sure Detective Dilbert remembers this too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Because I was depressed because my dad was in a coma? Yeah, sure, it's equivalent.
I dunno, just seems like that's still a low enough enough point to where you could be sympathetic.
uziq
+492|3443
jay throws around this 'womanly thinking' and 'mentally ill liberals' thing way too often. it's sort of nauseating.

jay you'll fit in a lot better with your middle-class suburban 'doctor' friends if you stop trying so fucking hard.

you're like that person that tries way too hard to join any cause and ends up discrediting and vaguely disgusting its members.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I dunno, just seems like that's still a low enough enough point to where you could be sympathetic.
There's nothing to be sympathetic about. I take medicine at night that makes me go to sleep. I sleep better than anyone here since I always dream. There is absolutely no other effect on my life. I probably live a less stressful life than Jay who is ready to sacrifice you all so his kid can go put square blocks into holes in kindergarten.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-06-24 06:29:38)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I probably live a less stressful life than Jay who is ready to sacrifice you all so his kid can go put square blocks into round holes in kindergarten.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
So Bubba Wallace never saw the noose only pictures of it. And after the investigation showed it wasn't a noose but a loop for a garage door rope pull he's saying it's still a noose.
This is why the left isn't taken seriously.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
It's okay, the left doesn't take NASCAR seriously either.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

‘We are just gonna go out and start slaughtering them’: Three cops fired after racist talk of killing black residents
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 … recording/

Sitting in his patrol car in Wilmington, N.C., Officer Michael “Kevin” Piner predicted Black Lives Matter protests would soon lead to civil war. “I’m ready,” Piner told another officer, adding that he planned to buy an assault rifle.

“We are just going to go out and start slaughtering them f------ n------,” he said.

The shocking threat came amid extended, openly racist conversations between Piner, 44, and two other police officers, 50-year-old Cpl. Jesse E. Moore II, and 48-year-old Officer James “Brian” Gilmore. In the discussions, taped by accident on a patrol car camera and released Wednesday by the department, the men freely drop racial slurs, suggest killing black residents and deride protesters.

“Wipe 'em off the f------ map,” Piner said of African Americans. “That’ll put 'em back about four or five generations.”

All three officers were fired Wednesday, with new Wilmington Police Chief Donny Williams, who is black, calling the conversations “brutally offensive.”

“This is the most exceptional and difficult case I have encountered in my career,” said Williams, who was just hired as chief on Tuesday. “We must establish new reforms for policing here at home and throughout this country.”

The officers’ vile discussions came to light purely by chance. On June 4, a sergeant was conducting routine video reviews when she found a nearly two-hour long clip from Piner’s cruiser created by an “accidental activation,” according to a department report. After listening to the racist discussion, she alerted a superior who started an internal investigation.

Piner, a Wilmington police officer since 1998, began the recording by expressing his fury about the ongoing protests against police brutality and racial injustice in the wake of George Floyd’s death. Speaking to Gilmore, who had apparently pulled his cruiser up alongside Piner’s car, he complained that local police only cared about “kneeling down with the black folks.”

Gilmore, hired by the department in 1997, said that whites were now “worshiping blacks,” adding he’d seen a video of a “fine looking white girl and this little punk pretty boy bowing down and kissing their toes.”

The two then complained about black officers on the force, calling one a “piece of s---” and complaining that another was “sitting on his a--” during the protests. “Let’s see how his boys take care of him when s--- gets rough, see if they don’t put a bullet in his head,” Piner said.

Piner soon left to check out an alarm, investigators found. Later, Moore, who also was hired in 1997, called him to describe a recent arrest of a black woman, repeatedly calling her a racial slur.

“She needed a bullet in the head right then and move on,” Moore said of the woman. “Let’s move the body out of the way and keep going.”

Later, while complaining about a black judge whom Moore called a “f------ negro magistrate,” Moore added, “It’s bad man because not all black people are like that.”

“Most of 'em,” Piner responded.

“90 percent of 'em, Kevin, 90 f------ percent of 'em,” Moore said.

Soon, Piner turned the conversation to his belief that a civil war was imminent and his intention to buy high-powered weaponry. After saying he was ready to “slaughter” black people, he added, “God I can’t wait."

“You’re crazy,” Moore responded, before the recording shut off.

On June 9, Internal Affairs investigators confronted the men with the recording. They admitted to having the conversations, but the officers each characterized it as “venting” and blamed the “stress of today’s climate in law enforcement,” investigators wrote.

Moore and Gilmore argued they were “not racist,” with Moore adding he “doesn’t normally speak like that but was feeding off Officer Piner,” according to the investigators. Piner, meanwhile, said the tape was “embarrassing” and suggested concerns for his family’s safety had led him to a “breaking point.”

Williams, the chief, said he would ensure none of the men could be rehired by the city and would ask state officials to review their law enforcement certifications. He said he would consult with prosecutors about potential criminal charges against the three men, and would ask them to review whether any of the former officers had shown bias toward criminal defendants in the past.

“There are certain behaviors that one must have in order to be a police officer, and these three officers have demonstrated that they do not possess it,” Williams said. “When I first learned of these conversations, I was shocked, saddened and disgusted. There is no place for this behavior in our agency or our city, and it will not be tolerated.”
Just a bit of locker room talk. The fact that these fine officers were fired is definitely overreaction and overreach. A tragic result of living under the foot of PC culture. /s

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard