KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Those are all valid complaints.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
it appears to be fucking awful. tiny plots, the online shit that is a whole other topic, shit traffic routing and so on

happy i waited, and even happier i picked up SC4 for £2.50 a while ago.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

two of my friends are swearing by the game and say they haven't had any issues at all.  I'm still unsure whether or not I'm going to buy.  Their opinion vs. the internets....
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
oh it's a good game (probably), much in the same way AOE3 was a good game

the problem it has is it doesn't look like it holds a candle to previous SC's, much in the same way AOE3 doesn't hold a candle to 2
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida
Not to mention --

No mods

No custom regions

No agriculture

No highways

No subways

No zone densities
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
no subways in particular looks pretty terrible
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
bennisboy
+829|6637|Poundland

Spearhead wrote:

Not to mention --

No mods

No custom regions

No agriculture

No highways

No subways

No zone densities
There are densities...
bennisboy
+829|6637|Poundland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

two of my friends are swearing by the game and say they haven't had any issues at all.  I'm still unsure whether or not I'm going to buy.  Their opinion vs. the internets....
It's definitely fun. I'm glad I bought it and haven't had many issues with the servers really.

There's also a lot of different specializations your city can have, which should add variety
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6614|Little Bentcock
Someone gift ti to me and I'll get you back
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

The issues right now are mostly centered around dumb AI pathing.

Rather than take the wide lanes, sims will take the shortest route possible. Even dirt road over street car.

The police will follow similar pathing, go to the nearest crime in progress. So you'll see all police station vehicles go to one crime and ignore all others.

If that sort of stuff is fixed in a patch the game will play great.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6614|Little Bentcock

Adams_BJ wrote:

Someone gift ti to me and I'll get you back
bennisboy
+829|6637|Poundland

AussieReaper wrote:

The issues right now are mostly centered around dumb AI pathing.

Rather than take the wide lanes, sims will take the shortest route possible. Even dirt road over street car.

The police will follow similar pathing, go to the nearest crime in progress. So you'll see all police station vehicles go to one crime and ignore all others.

If that sort of stuff is fixed in a patch the game will play great.
I also hate the way it takes electricity time to "find" buildings after a power cut and the electricity packets seem to miss some for ages
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

They path by shortest route possible.

Or randomly

Or omg wat
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6766|Moscow, Russia

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

always-on DRM. no, thanks.
why are people so adamantly opposed to this?

And of course they are going to add DLC as paid content.  That and microtransactions are the new gaming business model.
Part of sim city appeal was you could literally use it to kill time anywhere. The problem with always online DRM is that it inevitably inconveniences the people that buy the game, not the pirates who always find ways around it.

Also there is no need for sim city to have to be played online, it's perfectly fine offline

Oh and when EA inevitably shuts down the servers, no more sim city even though you bought the game
my points. thanks for answering for me.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Simcity 4 had that shit too.  I think the NAM mod fixed it tho.  But ya, pretty unbelievable, considering that was probably the number one problem with simcity 4, AND IT WAS RELEASED 10 FUCKIN YEARS AGO
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Shahter wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

why are people so adamantly opposed to this?

And of course they are going to add DLC as paid content.  That and microtransactions are the new gaming business model.
Part of sim city appeal was you could literally use it to kill time anywhere. The problem with always online DRM is that it inevitably inconveniences the people that buy the game, not the pirates who always find ways around it.

Also there is no need for sim city to have to be played online, it's perfectly fine offline

Oh and when EA inevitably shuts down the servers, no more sim city even though you bought the game
my points. thanks for answering for me.
Another reason is that you are not really "buying" the game at all.  EA said they do a lot of the computing stuff on their servers, meaning that its literally physically impossible for the game to exist outside the internet.  They basically took one of the the most influential single player games ever made and turned it into an MMORTS
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

Not to mention --

No mods

No custom regions

No agriculture

No highways

No subways

No zone densities
That's gay. If it's that dumbed down they might as well have made it a tablet or facebook game
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
In fairness to programmers regarding pathing, in order to do something like google navigation where it directs you along the shortest path while taking traffic into account, it requires a set of updating differential equations in order to get it right. When you have tens of thousands of little sims all moving about, dynamic pathing becomes a nightmare to compute. It's much easier when the sim is spawned, to set it's destination via shortest x,y straight line than to account for road speed etc. Lazy programming, sure, but it's either that or older systems get bogged down and the game is unplayable.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Also, you'd bitch if the sims suddenly displayed prescient knowledge and altered course as soon as you changed a piece of road on the other side of the map too, and we'd be inundated with videos of cars going in loops and doing u-turns as the landscape is changed.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
The thing is, Jay, no one was asking for the "tens of thousands of people that you can follow all day".  If you read what the longtime Sims fans are saying, this new reboot incorporates things they did with the Sims 3 and shoehorned it into Simcity.  This really isn't a true sequel to Simcity 4, just as BF3 isn't really a true sequel to BF2.  That no doubt ate up a lot of time and energy when in there are other parts of the game that are gone completely.

I would have : Took simcity 4

Added new graphics/light/3d viewing system

Added dozens, maybe hundreds of new architecture styles

Included in the game the community fixes for simcity 4 (the route problem)

Maybe added some more realistic, real life mechanics, such as seaports/shipping

More ability to regulate/customize exactly which high rise buildings go where --

Added mixed use, commercial/residential development

etc. etc.  Maybe add more Tropico 4 political/social stuff, like union strikes, race wars, riots, etc.  It'd be fun to order the cops to go beat up protesters

Curvy roads are overrated.  There are ways to fix and improve on the existing road system without making it loop after loop like some 3rd graders art project. 

Eh, there's a whole world of possibilities out there.  Sadly I'm not a programmer.  But I think everyone agrees, they moved in the wrong direction.  Same with BF3.  Same with Dead Space 3.  Same with ME3.  God help us.

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-13 08:26:08)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

The thing is, Jay, no one was asking for the "tens of thousands of people that you can follow all day".  If you read what the longtime Sims fans are saying, this new reboot incorporates things they did with the Sims 3 and shoehorned it into Simcity.  This really isn't a true sequel to Simcity 4, just as BF3 isn't really a true sequel to BF2.  That no doubt ate up a lot of time and energy when in there are other parts of the game that are gone completely.

I would have : Took simcity 4

Added new graphics/light/3d viewing system

Added dozens, maybe hundreds of new architecture styles

Included in the game the community fixes for simcity 4 (the route problem)

Maybe added some more realistic, real life mechanics, such as seaports/shipping

More ability to regulate/customize exactly which high rise buildings go where --

Added mixed use, commercial/residential development

etc. etc.  Maybe add more Tropico 4 political/social stuff, like union strikes, race wars, riots, etc.  It'd be fun to order the cops to go beat up protesters

Curvy roads are overrated.  There are ways to fix and improve on the existing road system without making it loop after loop like some 3rd graders art project. 

Eh, there's a whole world of possibilities out there.  Sadly I'm not a programmer.  But I think everyone agrees, they moved in the wrong direction.  Same with BF3.  Same with Dead Space 3.  Same with ME3.  God help us.
I wasn't commenting on the gameplay as I don't own the game. I was just pointing out that AI pathing is very difficult to achieve in a realistic manner, especially when there are so many moving sprites, so bitching about it is stupid. My post was aimed at the videos that AR posted.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Ok, as long as youre not defending it.  Weok.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

Ok, as long as youre not defending it.  Weok.
Defending bad pathing? I am.

Here's what you have to calculate (off the top of my head):
Beginning point
End point
Road surfaces
Traffic (requiring each sprite to track every other sprite on the map, constantly)
Changes to the map (requiring each sprite to track every piece of road on the map, constantly)
Elevation changes
Intersections i.e. traffic lights along path and odds of red light/green light
Police activity
Godzilla activity
Job loss/gain
Pedestrians
etc.

There's two constants there: beginning and end point. The rest are all variables that would have to be tracked in real time in order to create dynamic pathing that would mimic human beings. Of course, you can't make it too good, or too responsive either, or you will get the scenario I described above with cars and pedestrians doing loops on the map as roads on the other side of the map are fucked with.
-Frederick Bastiat
bennisboy
+829|6637|Poundland
Man, Godzilla hit my town and wiped out half my most expensive public buildings :'(
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

can you turn off natural disasters like you could in the OG sim city?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard