Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida
Not too long ago (before the global economy crashed) one of the most debated topics on BF2s was over whether the US military should withdraw from Iraq and what would happen if and when we did it. 

I remember our last President saying that "we're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here"

So now that we have withdrawn from Iraq militarily, what has changed?  The regime is still oppressive and corrupt, and they are also closer to the Iranians then they have ever been in recent history (correct me if I'm wrong)

Where are the people who were defending the occupation of Iraq 6 years ago, and what are they saying about Afghanistan?  If we left Afghanistan TOMORROW, and it became another Talibanislamifascist cesspool of death and destruction, how exactly does that present a danger to the US or our Allies? 

I invite those of you with military backgrounds to answer these questions, given your backgrounds.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

The only real success there was killing Osama.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Who was in Pakistan... maybe it shouldn't count.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
The raid was launched from Afghanistan.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Spearhead wrote:

I invite those of you with military backgrounds to answer these questions, given your backgrounds.
Sitting on your ass all day and occasionally getting yelled at by a 35ish high school graduate doesn't make you anymore knowledgeable than anyone else. Just a preemptive comment before the GI Joes start to try to argue down everyone else by citing their military experience.

That said, Afghanistan reverting back to the preinvasion state of things won't have any effect on us. Stopping terrorism here doesn't require occupying far away places
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
it never did. you got duped by dumb rhetoric.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

We overreacted yes
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690
If we fail to leave behind a legitimate government which establishes commerce (other than heroin) with the west and east, the country will probably see further unrest and possible fragmentation of the state. It's only a problem for the US if there is anti-western dogma being taught, preached, and organized into violence. Which seems impossible to prevent given the present state of sectarianism and violence in Afghanistan and bordering Pakistan.

Our reaction to 9/11 was very meat-headed. But now we've become a little bit more calculated in our warring against militants and civilian armies.

Our military commanders could use a dose of psilocybin.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-02-21 15:51:18)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
yeah cause if everyone took mushrooms, there would be no waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690
Prolly

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-02-21 16:21:07)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

The Afghan government is going to be propped up by U.S. aid money for the next 15-20 years after we leave. Aid money will go straight to the local warlords who will nominally recognize the government.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US
I predict a failed state, if the US doesn't take massive steps to keep the government in power (several hundred billion a year, probably).
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6656|BC, Canada

Superior Mind wrote:

Our reaction to 9/11 was very meat-headed. But now we've become a little bit more calculated in our warring against militants and civilian armies.
What? You think that you would react differently if a similar attack were to happen tomorrow?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

What? You think that you would react differently if a similar attack were to happen tomorrow?
I was fairly surprised the US haven't done much to the previous attacks of al-qaeda eg USS cole bombings/ first world trade center bombing.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Macbeth wrote:

The Afghan government is going to be propped up by U.S. aid money for the next 15-20 years after we leave. Aid money will go straight to the local warlords who will nominally recognize the government.
5 Years max, I doubt it will last that long, maybe 2 years.

The Taliban don't really care about money, Taliban will be running the country, warlords the regions and the drugs industry.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Yes. I don't think we would starting a new bombing campaign against barren mountains.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Superior Mind wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Yes. I don't think we would starting a new bombing campaign against barren mountains.
then what would you do? roll over like a bitch and prove to AQ how "weak" americans are?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6690
Modern counter terrorism tactics. Drone strikes, special operations. Not invade and occupy another country.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK
OBL was ~2km from a US special forces team after being spotted by 2 SBS guys in tora bora.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

m3thod wrote:

OBL was ~2km from a US special forces team after being spotted by 2 SBS guys in tora bora.
I remember that. The SF team was working with the Afghans, who decided to call a truce at the exact wrong moment and even threatened the Americans they were supposed to be helping when they tried to press on. Then the US team called in air-dropped mines to block the trails on the other side of the mountains, but it was denied by someone higher up and away from the action.

Categorical fuck-ups on both sides of the allies.

If Iraq and Afghanistan have done anything, it's let the West hone its ability to take out terrorists and militants with more efficiency and learn their tactics better, and resort more to small strike teams and drones instead of large and cumbersome conventional forces largely unsuited for this kind of warfare.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France
Well, with Afghanistan checked off the list, the next is Albania then Algeria.

Got to dispense justice alphabetically right?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Superior Mind wrote:

Modern counter terrorism tactics. Drone strikes, special operations. Not invade and occupy another country.
Yes. You know that whole Vietnam syndrome thing? After the Vietnam war the American public became a lot less willing to sign off on a war. Continued on until 9/11. I think we are now going to go through an Iraq syndrome and the public is going to be war weary for awhile after the mess that was the Iraq war.

I like how the non-Americans seem to think we are ready for war 24/7...
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US
Well, Desert Storm had quite a bit of popular support.  The decade or so after Vietnam was a major transformation for the US military, and the country was fairly war-weary (although still in the Cold War).
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida
HW Bush would have invaded Iraq the first time had there been enough public support.

It was to my knowledge nothing more than a quick and "clean" military exercise.  Of course it led the the invasion 10 years later, but that was because of what macbeth said.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

RAIMIUS wrote:

Well, Desert Storm had quite a bit of popular support.  The decade or so after Vietnam was a major transformation for the US military, and the country was fairly war-weary (although still in the Cold War).
gulf 1 was populary because saddam invaded kuwait, operation was a UN mandate event with russian agreement and no occupation follow up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard