BVC
+325|6687

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2013/mar/25/drone-attacks-pakistan-visualised
An animation with an agenda.

It uses a falling parabolic line, connected with a large circle to represent an explosion, with no picture of the delivery vehicle - a UCAV.  This metaphor is already used to describe nuclear attacks.  Its a fallacy of association, and context.  Its the same sort of BS that anti-marijuana-legalisation types use when they show pictures of scabby heroin/meth addicts to justify their claims.

It doesn't mention such things as advance planning of drone use/strikes (including time to plan & setup support/supply chains), and effectiveness of intel (reduced ratio of civlians dead over time).

I'm fairly liberal in my beliefs, but shit the anti-drone crowd are a bunch of stupid hippy muppets.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
i'm pretty sure the whole point of it is to just visually show how many of the targets killed fall into an ambiguous zone that military intel and the law don't know how to classify.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6615|Little Bentcock
75% are 'alleged' combatants as opposed to civilians. I'd feel pretty safe calling them combatants. Looks like after a rough start they get their aiming systems down pat.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Adams_BJ wrote:

75% are 'alleged' combatants as opposed to civilians. I'd feel pretty safe calling them combatants. Looks like after a rough start they get their aiming systems down pat.
i would do some reading up on what constitutes 'alleged' combatant status.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i'm pretty sure the whole point of it is to just visually show how many of the targets killed fall into an ambiguous zone that military intel and the law don't know how to classify.
They do know how to classify - enemy combatants. The US government isn't being revisionist to cook the collateral damage numbers- the ROE has said any military-aged male is a combatant. Its not ambiguous at all. Its also absolutely insane.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Alternative to drone strikes?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Macro - don't foment hatred
Micro - only kill absolute threats to the US (ie anyone with the ability to attack the US).

Killing a shephard in Tora Bora is stopping terrorism like sending a kid selling pot at school to jail is stopping pablo escobar.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Adams_BJ wrote:

aiming is fine, it's just whether the intel was good or not.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Dude can't leave office soon enough...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Macro - don't foment hatred
Micro - only kill absolute threats to the US (ie anyone with the ability to attack the US).

Killing a shephard in Tora Bora is stopping terrorism like sending a kid selling pot at school to jail is stopping pablo escobar.
And killing Pakistani tribesmen and their wives and children is stopping Saudi terrorists - its so obvious.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
When we get to the point that drones are shooting down drones I think we should just take war virtual. CS:GO will be the new proving grounds. You lose, you shut your mouth until you can move up in the rankings.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
and then i and my ex-pro fps cohort will be crowned the modern day nestor and achilles
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
I'm not even saying it's bad. Shit man, think of all of the warlords we could put behind computers in dimly lit rooms. Accusations of cheating would be thrown around, so the UN will need to preside over the yearly tournament.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
BVC
+325|6687
I wonder if drones will get a workout in North Korea.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
i doubt it. they don't have the pretense of remaining an american ally, like the pakistani security forces do.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
The Coalition are retarded.

Coalition to bring in the drones against asylum boats
Unmanned aerial drone surveillance will form part of a Coalition government's measures to halt the flow of asylum seeker boats, defence spokesman Senator David Johnston has said.

He also suggested officers on Customs and Navy boats in remote international waters would be given the job of deciding whether asylum seekers were genuine.

Senator Johnston said on Thursday that the opposition would spend $1.5 billion on seven drones and aim to have them patrolling Australia's waters and international waters within four to five years.
Yeah, I can't see any problems arising from this. And it's such an efficient use of taxpayer's money

/sarcasm
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Jaekus wrote:

The Coalition are retarded.

Coalition to bring in the drones against asylum boats
Unmanned aerial drone surveillance will form part of a Coalition government's measures to halt the flow of asylum seeker boats, defence spokesman Senator David Johnston has said.

He also suggested officers on Customs and Navy boats in remote international waters would be given the job of deciding whether asylum seekers were genuine.

Senator Johnston said on Thursday that the opposition would spend $1.5 billion on seven drones and aim to have them patrolling Australia's waters and international waters within four to five years.
Yeah, I can't see any problems arising from this. And it's such an efficient use of taxpayer's money

/sarcasm
Were already doing surveillance on asylum seekers jaekus. Just switching to drones instead of using a 4 man crew on the Orion aircraft. I doubt they'd be armed lol. But Mr. Johnston did say that we need patrol boats with cruise missiles for "defensive purposes" LOLOLOLOLOL.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard