DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America

coke wrote:

Perhaps because not everyone feels the urge to cheat, and actually use their own knowledge to answer the questions.

Edit: Charles Bonaparte = FBI, I think. Don't know the other one.
I realize that and agree with you, but I don't underestimate the lengths people will go to to appear smart. I was having a Futurama trivia challenge with someone recently and figured my naming an episode within 10 seconds of being given a quote from it would have been more impressive had it been in person.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

how on earth has that university thing gone on for so long? with google just a click away...

next dumb question
Google was a better physics professor than any I ever had.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
sucks to go to your school i guess
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
Probably. The physics department was horrible, though.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK

DesertFox- wrote:

coke wrote:

Perhaps because not everyone feels the urge to cheat, and actually use their own knowledge to answer the questions.

I realize that and agree with you, but I don't underestimate the lengths people will go to to appear smart. I was having a Futurama trivia challenge with someone recently and figured my naming an episode within 10 seconds of being given a quote from it would have been more impressive had it been in person.
fuck no
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

coke wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

How on earth has this gone on for so many pages on the Internet? The fun with trivia is to be able to stump someone else or learn new, interesting things. When you've got Google a click away, any fact can be discovered fairly quickly, robbing the game of much excitement. At least you could try it on IRC/TS or something else that is more or less "live".

The other one is Field Marshal Bernadotte being asked to take the Swedish throne. The royal family of Sweden is all of French descent.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

A little harder. Still Napoleonic history.

Carved out of the Duchy of Tuscany this short lived Italian Kingdom was created in order to compensate the House of Bourbon for their losses in the war of the second coalition. In 1807, 6 years after its creation, the kingdom was dissolved back into France.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Jay wrote:

coke wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

How on earth has this gone on for so many pages on the Internet? The fun with trivia is to be able to stump someone else or learn new, interesting things. When you've got Google a click away, any fact can be discovered fairly quickly, robbing the game of much excitement. At least you could try it on IRC/TS or something else that is more or less "live".

The other one is Field Marshal Bernadotte being asked to take the Swedish throne. The royal family of Sweden is all of French descent.
As is Spain's. Though the modern King of Spain would consider himself Spanish, Spain hasn't been ruled by a royal family of Spanish descent since Columbus.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Trivia: Now believed to have suffered from either severe clinical depression or schizophrenia, this woman was the first ruler of both the Kingdoms of Castile and Aragon as well as the last Spanish ruler before the transfer of the monarchy to the her son, Charles V of the house of Hapsburg.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Macbeth wrote:

A little harder. Still Napoleonic history.

Carved out of the Duchy of Tuscany this short lived Italian Kingdom was created in order to compensate the House of Bourbon for their losses in the war of the second coalition. In 1807, 6 years after its creation, the kingdom was dissolved back into France.
Kingdom of Etruria

Macbeth wrote:

Trivia: Now believed to have suffered from either severe clinical depression or schizophrenia, this woman was the first ruler of both the Kingdoms of Castile and Aragon as well as the last Spanish ruler before the transfer of the monarchy to the her son, Charles V of the house of Hapsburg.
Joanna the Mad, Joanna of Castile.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

I like European Royalty trivia.

Easy: This family were the rulers of Spain and France at the time of the revolution of 1789. The same royal family still rules Spain to this day.

Medium: The Habsburg family take their name from the castle they built in the Habsburg municipality in this modern country.

Hard: The King of Italy and the Holy Roman Emperor this man fought with in the 5th and 6th Crusades and even against Popes who led the Lombard League against him. He was the last of House of Hohenstaufen.

Someone also needs to pick a topic since this is one soteric subject.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Bourbon

Switzerland

Frederick Barbarossa?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

No not Frederick Barbarossa
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Ahh, I was off by about 60 years. Doh.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Easy: A plea for help from this Greek emperor resulted in the first Crusade.

Medium: This Kurdish family overthrew the Fatimid sultanate and ruled Egypt until the Mamluk rebellion.

Hard: This man is the father of Roger I and the founder of the Norman Hauteville of Sicily.

Very hard: A petty governor under the Sultanate of Rum, this man was the founder of the Ottoman bloodline
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

This Muslim explorer is famous for his trips around the Indian ocean and coast of China.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
henry kissinger
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

After Hurricane Katrina and Sandy, this was the third costliest hurricane in U.S. history.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock
Nazi German for 400 please
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Adams_BJ wrote:

vierhundert
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

After Hurricane Katrina and Sandy, this was the third costliest hurricane in U.S. history.
Andrew
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

nope
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Hugo?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Ahh, no, I'm wrong. I've don't even remember the one that came in 3rd place.
-Frederick Bastiat
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock

Macbeth wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

vierhundert
I see it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

rita?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard