Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

The United States, European governments and Arab states have begun discussing the possibility of exile for Bashar al-Assad despite skepticism the defiant Syrian president is ready to consider such an offer, Western officials said on Wednesday.

While talks have not progressed far and there is no real sense that Assad's fall is imminent, one official said as many as three countries were willing to take him as a way to bring an end to Syria's bloody 10-month-old crisis.

Two sources said no European states were prepared to give Assad sanctuary, but one official said the United Arab Emirates might be among those open to the idea.

Talk of exile has surfaced amid mounting international pressure on Assad and a diplomatic showdown over a proposed Arab League resolution at the United Nations aimed at getting him to transfer power. He has responded by stepping up assaults on opposition strongholds.

With the White House insisting for weeks that Assad's days in power are numbered, it was unclear whether this marks an attempt to persuade the Syrian leader and his family to grasp the chance of a safe exit instead of risking the fate of Libya's Muammar Gaddafi, who was hunted and killed by rebels last year.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/ … DZ20120202
Should he be given amnesty in return for stopping the 2 year war or should the international community refuse to allow him to live in exile and demand he be punished for war crimes?

I think he should be allowed exile.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705
You're better off with amnesty and a clean slate. Both sides have done tremendous horrors. Amnesty idea worked pretty well for post-conflict Africa peace reconstruction.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6400|'Murka

Exile (not amnesty), unless they use chem weapons, then ICC.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6703|US

Prince Fu Ch’ai, from The Art of War wrote:

Wild beasts, when at bay, fight desperately. How much more is this true of men! If they know there is no alternative they will fight to the death.
It would seem to me that offering an out would likely result in a quicker end to the conflict (at least until somebody tries to fill the power vacuum and starts another civil war.)
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6095|eXtreme to the maX
George Bush was allowed to retire, having caused the death of thousands of innocent people and sprayed tons of toxic uranium and other materials all over civilians.

Maybe Bush would give Assad a chalet on his ranch?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705

Dilbert_X wrote:

George Bush was allowed to retire, having caused the death of thousands of innocent people and sprayed tons of toxic uranium and other materials all over civilians.
Lol trollbert. DU rounds weren't even used in 2nd gulf war you silly troll.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6764|Moscow, Russia

RAIMIUS wrote:

Prince Fu Ch’ai, from The Art of War wrote:

Wild beasts, when at bay, fight desperately. How much more is this true of men! If they know there is no alternative they will fight to the death.
It would seem to me that offering an out would likely result in a quicker end to the conflict (at least until somebody tries to fill the power vacuum and starts another civil war.)
the truly democratic and progressive don't give a fuck about ending the conflict. they just want a leader who was capable of keeping cyria together out of power so they can turn the place into another republic of congo.

Last edited by Shahter (2012-12-10 02:54:23)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes they were.
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposure … /index.asp
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes they were.
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposure … /index.asp
Yeah all those vets came back with fucked up radiation poisoning right? Iraq had bigger health issues than US troops using WP and DU.
rdx-fx
+955|6580
He can go into hiding in Pakistan, like Bin Laden and AQ Khan.

All expenses paid retreat, courtesy of the Pakistani ISI.

Then we can hit him with a drone strike.

I'm thinking a thermobaric explosive warhead with a WP kicker, and perhaps a DU penetrator on the front of the missile.

Maybe let GW push the launch button, for old times sake.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

rdx-fx wrote:

I'm thinking a thermobaric explosive warhead with a WP kicker, and perhaps a DU penetrator on the front of the missile.

Why? What did he ever do to you? To us?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705

Macbeth wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

lol.
rdx-fx
+955|6580

Macbeth wrote:

He refuses to acknowledge the holy trinity of Beer, Barbecue, and Boobs as the highest objects of worship available to humanity.

So, he is a lowly infidel dog and deserves an unbeliever's death.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

What would people rather have? A silly symbolic trial as a reward for an extended bloody civil war or an end to it?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6679|Tampa Bay Florida

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What would people rather have? A silly symbolic trial as a reward for an extended bloody civil war or an end to it?
How many people have been successfully prosecuted in the ICC?  Didn't some prominent mass murderer from Eastern Europe get off not too long ago?

He needs to die, for closures sake.  Let him go to Iran, it will only piss off the Sunni's even more. (We shouldn't kill him though)

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-12-10 10:50:45)

rdx-fx
+955|6580

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

As long as they keep the mess inside their own borders, let them figure it out themselves.

It's not that I don't care, it's that I don't think the West has the balls to effectively help.

Do it 100%, or don't go at all. 
If it's going to be another half-assed token effort, run by indecisive blithering moronic politicians, like Iraq or Afghanistan, fuck it. Don't go.

There is Beer, Barbecue, and Boobs stateside!

(Oh, I may still be a little pissed at Syria about their behavior from 1990-1994 too. Right up there with Pakistan on the "false friends & pretend partners" list.)

Jay wrote:

I'm a fan of porters, stouts and dunkels myself. They tend to pair better with Carolina whole hog and Texas brisket.
Doppelbocks too!  Anything with a good, rich, complex, malty flavor goes great with chili or BBQ.

I can't stand hoppy beers, like IPA or such. Too bitter, no complexity, no flavor.

Local brewer here, Red Lodge Ales, makes an excellent brew with their Jack's Scottish Ale.  Malty, complex, with a smoky note (peat moss smoking?). If you like good smoky scotch (1992 Glen Rothes) or a smoky Merlot, you'd like this ale.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-12-10 11:11:45)

Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4184|Oklahoma
I think Assad should be sentenced to sit in a small room with MacBeth and a cat.
rdx-fx
+955|6580

Extra Medium wrote:

I think Assad should be sentenced to sit in a small room with MacBeth and a cat.
Hah!

Though I agree with your idea, I fear such a cruel and vicious punishment would be considered a war crime.
Karbin
+42|6283

rdx-fx wrote:

Extra Medium wrote:

Hah!

Though I agree with your idea, I fear such a cruel and vicious punishment would be considered a war crime.
Enjoy your trip to the ICC Extra......   
rdx-fx
+955|6580

Extra Medium wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Hah!

Karbin wrote:

Enjoy your trip to the ICC Extra......   
ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) might have a complaint about the treatment of the cat too.
CC-Marley
+407|6817

Extra Medium wrote:

What did the cat do to deserve that?
Reciprocity
+721|6569|the dank(super) side of Oregon
as long as his hot wife is ok, who care what happens to Assad?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Extra Medium wrote:

I think Assad should be sentenced to sit in a small room with MacBeth while dressed as a cat.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6486

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/21025/avatard/xtrameds.jpg

reposting for great justice

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard