Skorpy-chan
+127|6363|Twyford, UK

JT_001 wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

So I can be killed by my legs sticking out a corner? Maan. Sucks.
Ha ha yep -- your legs go right through the wall if you're laying down and you back up into a wall/corner.

Surprised you've never seen that before -- I love to kill people that way!
I've seen legs sticking out of walls, but never killed someone that way. Bullets hit the wall, don't use the knife for fear of being caught unawares and shot.

But I shall bear that in mind and not lie down in bunkers. I tend to be trodden on (or rather, stepped in, as my ragdoll is not a physics object) once the shells start to fall outside anyway, if I try lying under cover.
Sadly, it is often by knife-wielding maniacs who move too fast for me to blow their kneecaps off with the PKM, which I really should stop whoring.
chuckstar_za
+1|6281|South Africa - BFN
Easy tip to avoid RT, don't sit on one place becoming a lovely red blip that says 'RT here please'

Yes, you can hear RT firing across the whole map so long as there arn't a million noises going on around you (squaddies talking, firing guns etc.) even with a crapola card you can hear it..

Next time you're capping a flag listen out for it
ethrion
+25|6412|Hong Kong @ the moment
Lots of times I look around me and see about 10+ allies all in one place capturing a flag (armour, jeeps, infantry...). Its at this point that I usually run the hell away from them all. I have lost count the number of times only a second or so later a barrage rains down killing everyone. Then I pop back and continue capturing the flag.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)
A good tip for avoiding artillery when you're at the receiving end - keep moving and always towards the last artillery strike you see - i.e. always try to be where it has just hit - artillery is like lightening - it never hits the same place twice.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6657|Montreal, Qc, Canada
what about im at the airfield... i cant see shit up to the arty island looll
ethrion

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

A good tip for avoiding artillery when you're at the receiving end - keep moving and always towards the last artillery strike you see - i.e. always try to be where it has just hit - artillery is like lightening - it never hits the same place twice.
Well thats not strictly true, on certain maps the same general area is getting shelled the hell out of it.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)

ethrion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Well thats not strictly true, on certain maps the same general area is getting shelled the hell out of it.
I think possibly the only time it may not work is on the few maps where one side (or both) can capture the enemy arty - then the arty patterns probably do overlap alot - but the arty does fall in a pattern - you have to be pretty damn lucky in your timing - 'cos it virtually impossible to judge - but it does increase your chances of survival.
ethrion

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ethrion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I think possibly the only time it may not work is on the few maps where one side (or both) can capture the enemy arty - then the arty patterns probably do overlap alot - but the arty does fall in a pattern - you have to be pretty damn lucky in your timing - 'cos it virtually impossible to judge - but it does increase your chances of survival.
Avoid staying in large stationary groups for more than 20-30 seconds (eg. flag capturing) because you can be damn sure the enemy commander has spotted it and is clicking "artillery" right on top of you.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6784|Cambridge (UK)

ethrion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ethrion wrote:

Avoid staying in large stationary groups for more than 20-30 seconds (eg. flag capturing) because you can be damn sure the enemy commander has spotted it and is clicking "artillery" right on top of you.
Yeah, that's one of the worst aspects of the game - if it wasn't the case that you can virtually guarentee getting arty'd after capturing a flag then maybe more people would defend flags instead of running from one flag to the next...
Blepo1990
+0|6346|The Netherlands, Gulpen

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Most of the time I don't think you'll make it because of the splash damage If you try to run you are more vulnerable for splash damage then when you stay on one spot imo...

And yes, my tip is also: stay alert Most of the time it's pretty obvious where the artillery strike is gonna be
Weh-Weh
DUDE
+2|6217|Reno, NV
I think another great tip for avoiding artillery and telling everyone part of a squad about it is to be squad leader of a group made for destroying assets. You can hear it firing if you're close to the enemy side while playing Mashtuur. Just alert the commander of this or if you're a squadie tell your leader to have the commander alert all the squads that enemy artillery is firing. This could result in a whole squad getting squished or a flag becoming a death zone. Useful I think in winning rounds rather then just avoiding death for yourself only.
lxlchaoslxl
+0|6238
Another tip for avoiding arty is don't fly over your arty cannons while they are firing, or over somewhere currently being artied. Yes I mean in jets too. I've been shot out of the air at 200~ feet by arty a couple times.

Last edited by lxlchaoslxl (2007-06-18 01:41:24)

Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6777|Denmark
when you can see the artillery fire, its a good tip.. and yes the artillery is not just an animation of cannons fire and then some explosions.. the shells actually travel in the right path..

a tip for when you are suddenly surprised by incomming artillery on top of you..

most people run like hell, which is a instinct... but with my game experince (I'm a colonel) I'd say that you die ~70% of the time when you run away or move.. but when you just stay perfectly still ( let go of your keyboard and mouse) I find it that you survive ~65% of the time which are pretty good odds when finding yourself in the middle of a barrage.. stay put and you will be alone to take the enemy flag afterwards because all the noobs ran away and/or got killed..

in war you dont run around either, you stay put, and low to avoid scrapnel..
elite-sniper697
Dirty.^Elite<3
+15|6196
Also, I was in a heli midair yesterday and got taken out by an arty shell...never seen that done before
the other day i flew into a UAV accidenty in my jet LOL
Graper0127
+1|6161|The Dirty Dozen
Just blow it up.
IcyBlade
+2|6482
well, I think the UAV can be shot down if you guys got enough skill. I've seen one irritating clan do that before.. They actually gathered under the UAV and started emptying their magazines at it!

BTW.. where artillery lands depends on the commander. you can't really predict it. I direct arty fire to wherever requires it. When enemies mass up and charge against a capture point, I'll fire some distance in front of them. Usually I get 2 or 3 of the stragglers, if not the whole bunch of them. Other times, when there are no major offensives by the enemy, I'd drop it on the enemy commander, who's usually the idiot lying around in base doing nothing.

But 1 major tip.. It's also the way I feel when I play.. When I sit on the carrier waiting for a chopper or plane to spawn, there are usually about 8 other people waiting there doing nothin. I have 2 thoughts at that moment:
1. Oh man, these guys are wasting precious time, they should really contribute to the fight that's going on the island!
2. Great, sweet spot to fire an arty. Once I hear the shells firing, I duck underneath the carrier! And as usual, they always die. But they never learn their lesson. Forever waiting, praying for the current chopper pilot to die, and for the chopper to respawn.

adios!
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6167|San Antonio, Texas
Hmm, old topic, but I'll leave the flaming to the pros.

Handy tip, but the arty always looks odd to me.
Volatile
+252|6723|Sextupling in Empire

Artillery? OMG! thas were dos splosions cum from!
TFSlott
+2|6177
Avoid arty by being a looner. No commander wanna waste an arty strike on a single opponent. They mainly aim for groups.

Another way to avoid arty is by capturing a flag in two simple steps. Make it neutral - then flee for a while. Lots of commanders fire at flags being captured. So just wait around for the bombs to fall (from planes as well) then head in raising that Jolly Rogers to the skies.

And EA should learn a lesson about arty: Prone should prevent u from dying unless directly hit by a shell. And too many shells at a very compact space! The number of shells are okay, but the area should be larger. But - prone should prevent u from dying all the time. Perhaps a new prone position lying down hovering your stomach above the ground unable to shot at all - But surviving arty! This is what real soldiers do to avoid stomach damage from shaking grounds. It's quite simple math; when a grenade explodes, the shrapnels move upwards from the epicenter.

So speak a former heavy mortar platoon commander!
Skorpy-chan
+127|6363|Twyford, UK
I have one thing to counter that - Guided artillery shells.

Part of the 'guided everything' lunacy that's infesting the US millitary.
Cyrax-Sektor
Official Battlefield fanboy
+240|6167|San Antonio, Texas

TFSlott wrote:

Avoid arty by being a looner. No commander wanna waste an arty strike on a single opponent. They mainly aim for groups.
I too would think a commander wouldn't waste arty on a lone soldier, but I've seen it all the time. I often comment by 'arty for lil' ol' me? '. My teammates must love it, they have one less thing to worry about.
TrashBlinD
french canadians suck
+135|6661|can

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

TFSlott wrote:

I too would think a commander wouldn't waste arty on a lone soldier, but I've seen it all the time. I often comment by 'arty for lil' ol' me? '. My teammates must love it, they have one less thing to worry about.
See my user title.
TFSlott
+2|6177

TrashBlinD wrote:

Cyrax-Sektor wrote:

TFSlott wrote:

See my user title.
LOL +1
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6426|Somersetshire
when i command, if i see a easy target by himself, he better start running lol
TFSlott
+2|6177

Tehremos wrote:

when i command, if i see a easy target by himself, he better start running lol
This proves that too many players do not play in teams. Sad but true. Otherwise correct - when playing large air maps it can be difficult to hit a group of people. Normally I save my arty for blowing up a flag being captured rather than wasting it on a single opponent. Preventing the enemy from capturing flags are more important than taking out that lonely sniper - my opinion though

Unless it's Lil' ol' me - I'll arty his ass if/when I see it... :-)

Last edited by TFSlott (2008-01-08 08:52:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard