Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6752
From the crazy mind of Talon, who brought you the AT guide, the Medic Guide, and why mashtuur is so much better than karkand, here’s the support guide!

Glossary

Deviation: The amount the bullet flies away from your crosshair.
Base deviation: The minimum it can go. This is how accurate your gun is on single shot.
Deviation per shot: The a random number between the min and max number is chosen every time you shoot. If theres a high max, you could get ridiculous spraying.
Recoil: How much the guns move after you shoot a bullet. Iyts the same for all support weapons.

1. The good, the bad, and the ugly

The Good: You’re the best infantry killer on the battlefield. You get unlimited ammo, and lots of extra points. You have massive clips.

The Bad: You have to prone to hit anything more than 3m away from you.

The Ugly: Your sprint is shorter than the tail of a tail-less monkey. (i.e, practically useless)

2. The Weapons

2.1: Chart

ar (shots to kill armoured)
uar (shots to kill unarmoured)
tar (time to kill armoured)
tur (time to unarmoured)
1HS (1 headshot kill)

Gun               AR           UAR            TAR             TUR           1HS

PKM               4               3                0.5           0.4               Yes
MG36            6               4                 0.6           0.4               No
M249/T95       7               4                0.5           0.3               No               
RPK                5               3                0.5          0.35              Yes
HK21              5               4                0.5           0.4               No

The Support LMGs can be split into three groups. Lights, which have the fastest rate of fire (RoF) and the lowest damage, mediums, which have slower RoF and more damage, and heavies, the slowest RoF and the strongest fire.

Lights: M249, Type 95
Mediums: HK21, RPK, MG35
Heavies: PKM

Now, Battlefield 2 is all about accuracy (for longer range) and kill time (for short range). Kill time is how long it takes to kill your opponent. Playing as support means you get body armour. This means all damage to your torso will be reduced by 33%. This means that close up, Spec-Ops will take 0.7 seconds to kill you with a G36C. You’ll take 0.3-0.5 seconds to kill them (depending on which gun you have). This means you have twice as much reaction time than they do. They can start shooting first and you still win. Good, eh? The guns with the best kill time are the Type 95 and M249, however, they have crappy accuracy.

Accuracy is worked out (mainly) by two factors. One is base deviation. This is how accurate your gun is on single shot. The PKM and MG36 are best at this. The second is deviation added per shot. Every shot you take, the gun gets less accurate. So you want to kill them in the least number of shots (this is one of the reasons MP5s suck in a lot of situations, although they are fun.)

Defaults:

(Light): M249 (USMC)/Type 95 (PLA)

I’ve grouped these guns as they are essentially identical. The only real differences are that the M249 has 200 bullets a clip to the T95’s 100; and that the T95 is better at sustained firing. This doesn’t make too much difference except if you play Karkand/Sharqi. You might find the T95’s clip a little small then.

Both these guns are best used at extreme close range. Along with the G3, they are the fastest killers of both armoured (Assault, AT, Support) and unarmoured (the rest) They work very well against groups of enemies. They have quite a lot of recoil, so you’ll end up spraying bullets everywhere. Since you’re shooting them at 900 a minute, this isn’t a problem. You’re throwing so much lead into the air they can’t really dodge it.

Unfortunately, since they take 7 shots to kill an armoured target, the recoil really hits you when using at longer ranges. The single shot accuracy is ok, but at 7 shots for an armoured target they’re going to have plenty of warning. Best kept to maps like Karkand/Sharqi. Ifg you do get stuck with it at longer ranges, keep to 2-3 shot bursts. Anything more will start adding masses of recoil. Since the PLA don’t appear in any short range maps, the T95 is an essentially useless gun, unless you storm bases with it. Just don’t get caught outside with one, or you’re toast.

Medium: RPK74 (MEC)

The RPK is superior to the M249/T95. Due to the lower amount of shots needed to kill someone, it is more accurate (as described above). It also has the same RoF as the assault rifles and carbines, so you might find it easier to use because of that. It’s the second best support gun, and will kill an unarmoured target in 3 shots. Tactics are similar to the M249, always go prone, full auto at close up, but longer bursts at ranges (3-5 shots, depending on the range). The RPK has the lowest maximum deviation per shot, so its very good for sustained firing when prone.
If you have no unlocks and want to play support, always try and be MEC if possible. The RPK is even a good alternative to the PKM if the low RoF of it bugs you.

Medium: HK21 (EU)

First, a little fun. Put your sound settings to high or ultra high, load up Euro Forces and fire the HK21. It sounds great!

The HK21 is a similar gun to the RPK74. However, it’s worse in a few ways that make it pretty useless compared to the PKM. It takes 7 seconds to reload, which is pretty terrible. You could be killed 20 times over in 7 seconds. Secondly, it does a little less damage than the RPK, which means it takes longer to kill people. Worst of all, while its minimum deviation is 0.2, which is nice and low, its maximum is 5, which is rather high (second highest in the game). Meaning you get the odd shot that flies off nowhere.

Unlocks:

Medium: MG36 (SAS default, SF unlock)

Stay away from this gun. It has a maximum deviation per shot of 10, the highest in the game by far. Single shot is fine, but not especially great, but anything else and you’re risking hitting a 10 or a 9, throwing your bullet off like crap. Its only benefit is that it takes ages to overheat. I’ve never used this gun on Karkand (I’ve never unlocked it, but have tested it extensively on SF), but it might be useful there. It’s a waste of an unlock though, save it for your last two.

It does have a 3 shot-burst fire, but you don’t need this, as you could just hold down the trigger for 3 shots and release…

Heavy: PKM (BF2 Unlock)

The mother of all guns. Firstly, you might have noticed that it’s changed a lot over the patches. In the beginning it couldn't hit a thing (had a base deviation of 0.8, higher than anything else). Then they made it super accurate (base deviation of 0.1) and people used it as a sniper rifle. Now it has a BD of 0.4, so its still accurate but not overly so.

Why is the PKM so good? Mainly because it does 45 damage a shot. That’s the same as an SVD or Type 85 sniper rifle. But it has full auto. This means that you can kill anyone in 3 or 4 shots. Since they’re dead so quickly, the recoil doesn’t have time to build up until they are dead, giving you a super-accurate, quick killing weapon. The G3 does 40 damage, which has the same affect, but only has a 20 shot magazine. The PKM has 100 shots a mag. And with ammo packs, you get unlimited mags.

Unlock the PKM as soon as you can. Always go prone, it doesn’t take long, and don’t be afraid to overkill them at close range. I havn’t tested it recently but you can shoot for about 40-50 bullets (will edit when tested) before it overheats.

At long ranges, you can use single or double shots, since most people will die in 3 shots (most people play sniper, medic or spec ops). This will keep you very accurate. Also, since you don’t have to worry about running out of bullets, you can keep firing while aiming. If a spec-ops only has 10 bullets left in his clip, he’s not gonna want to miss you.

3. The ammo bag

This thing is very useful. Not only does it provide a lot of points, you can rearm yourself whenever you want. This means you get unlimited grenades, which is nice. I won’t post a guide on grenades as they’re pretty easy to use.

If you play medic you’ll notice that hurt people show up with a lifebar over they’re head. This doesn’t seem to happen with ammo unless they are very low. You can get a lot of extra points by handing out ammo bags to players without ammo bars over their heads, and help out your team.

4. General tactics in Q&A

Please PM or post here any questions you want added to this section.

Q: Can I shoot standing up or crouched?
A: You can get away with crouching on any mediums or the PKM. However, going prone makes a huge difference to accuracy, and it doesn’t take long.

Q: Do I need to zoom?
A: No. Zooming has no effect on accuracy. Never zoom at close range, it takes time. At long range, you (not the gun) will place the shots better, so you may as well. Learning to cope without zoom helps a lot though.

Q: So which guns do I use again?
A: Use them in this order of preference: 1. PKM, 2. RPK, 3.Other defaults, 4. MG36

Q: I can’t hit moving targets with the PKM?
A: It has a lower RoF than most other guns. This means it takes a bit of getting used to when shooting targets running across you. Just practice and bullet spam to solve this.

Q: Why is my sprint so low?
A: Unfortunately the support can’t sprint for very long. So don’t do a lot of walking or swimming. Or just enjoy the view. No way to fix this I’m afraid.

Q: Why does everyone say the MG36 owns?
A: Due to the auto-fire being so random, some people will find it better than others. Me, I want a gun that’s reliable. Some of you might like it, try it out on SAS maps.

Q: What maps should I use these guns on?
A: The M249/T95 are best kept for shorter range, city maps. The PKM is fine at medium/long range and can be used for pretty much any map. Although remember the walking thing, so stay away from Zatar Wetlands.

Q: I disagree with your views, what should I do?
A: Post them here without flaming or PM me. If you’re right, I’ll change it.

Last edited by Talon (2006-08-25 08:08:38)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6712|California

delicious
Talon
+341|6752

stryyker wrote:

delicious
Uh, thanks.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6712|California

Talon wrote:

stryyker wrote:

delicious
Uh, thanks.
its my own compliment
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

Very good guide, it has tought me how to get better with support

Always thought the MG36 was good.
But why not try and explain how to use the Support kit properly and talk about how you should place yourself, how you should react to a close range encouter, should we use grenades etc etc.
It would make the guide 10 times better

Last edited by zimmer92 (2006-08-24 02:38:44)

Talon
+341|6752
Thx to the guy who PMed me, MG36 doesnt kill in 1 headhsot. edited
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51
A: Use them in this order of preference: 1. PKM, 2. RPK, 3.Other defaults, 4. MG36
Yeah I would have to say that your order fails, (sorry for that word, couldn't make up an other word..) Anyway I love the M249 Saw I shot people over 200+ meters with this thing, even won in from PKM on a distance, and on close range. My Order would probably be : 1. RPK 2. M249 Saw 3. PKM 4. Other defaults/Mg36.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2006-08-24 02:46:10)

Talon
+341|6752

RDMC(2) wrote:

Yeah I would have to say that your order fails, (sorry for that word, couldn't make up an other word..) Anyway I love the M249 Saw I shot people over 200+ meters with this thing, even won in from PKM on a distance, and on close range. My Order would probably be : 1. RPK 2. M249 Saw 3. PKM 4. Other defaults/Mg36.
Just my 2 cents.
Thats fine for unarmoured, but 7 shot kill is too much for me. I assume it was a sniper or medic you killed.
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6711|Melbourne, Australia
rpk is ownige..
Sambuccashake
+126|6602|Sweden

Talon wrote:

Thx to the guy who PMed me, MG36 doesnt kill in 1 headhsot. edited
You've got it!

Nice guide by the way.
Eyeshooter
+3|6449|uh.. good question..
lol support was the only thing i ever loved since i got into this game way back in august last year..

one thing to do is..

make sure you have a good reaction speed at point blank

your PKM may own.. but with a slow reaction and the amount of head shooting and trigger happy G36E players out there..

single shot with the pkm at far range..
awesome thing to do..

i camped out at the furthest building at construction site in sharqi once.. and was killing people all the way at hotel..

never zoom with a PKM unless its for sniping..

never spray your pkm unless its an area congested with easy to hit enemy..
cuz seriously.. once you do.. you're dead..
lets say.. if you see a dude with a much more accurate gun than yours..
and the moment you see him.. he goes prone and so do you.. and you start blaring your weapon like mad..
you're gona miss him just as madly..

always zoom with the RPK.. man..i loooooove this gun.. and zooming with it helps heaps ..
frankly.. the deal with support is...
give shit to accuracy..

you've gotta spray your weapon like mad when you dont see single targets..
a shower of bullets.. the enemy's worst fear at times..

to me.. there aint much of a diffrence among the guns..
anything that's wrong with fire power is made up with rate of fire. .and vise versa
Eyeshooter
oh yeah.. when at close range spray your bullets like mad even on single targets.. BUT DONT RUN PRONE AND FIRE IMMEDIATELY when the target is less than .. about 20 m away..

all those i gave up there was with the assumption that the intended targets are at quite a distance away..
MrE`158
+103|6615
Good, informative guide.

I'd suggest the following changes:

First, there's little point in talking about the Type 95 being used on Karkand or Sharqi.  Anyone doing that has managed to end up playing a very, very lost and confused Chinaman.  I'd just keep your references to the SAW and make a note somewhere that since the Chinese have yet to get an infantry map, their anti-infantry weapon is a bit pointless...

Secondly, I think that the order of preference list should always be map-dependent.  Yes, the PKM is very powerful, but it's slow(er) rate of fire means that at very close quarters (particularly with multiple enemies) the faster-firing guns are better.  The SAW and RPK are awesome in the corridors of Iron Gator or Warlord, for example, while the PKM is better for the really open maps (especially those with helicopters you can take a few points of armour off) like Mashtuur or Wake.

Following up on that thought, the PKM's power deserves special mention.  A guide like this should include a note that if a PKM-wielding soldier spots a helicopter heading off for repairs, he should open up on the thing.  The 45 damage and (relatively) high rate of fire means that a couple of seconds is all it takes to drop a helo from "smoking" to "burning".  Even if you don't get the opportunity to finish off a damaged chopper, rattling rounds into the cockpit area of a Cobra or Havoc with the PKM may be enough to make him piss off home for repairs, giving your men on the ground a breather.

Lastly, typo:  third sentence of PKM entry should read "In the beginning it couldn't hit a thing..."

Good guide!  +1 for you!

Last edited by MrE`158 (2006-08-24 05:01:53)

Eyeshooter
oh yeah.. just to address someone's question on where to place yourself..

well..

after awhile.. you get the idea of a support's job..

its to support..

wut i normally do is..

follow the action.. when the battle gets intense.. i find a nice safe spot..

and start blaring my guns on enemy movement..

this should normally provide your team with an easier time getting rid of enemy..
note if you do this you'll get more damage assists than kills some times..

good spots to shoot at are spawn points ( man this can be so un-gamesmen like ) and areas where the enemy go to alot ( e.g roads that they HAVE to cross or areas they HAVE to cover to get to another flag )

although sometimes.. you just miss being IN the action.. and end up running right thru the enemy defences.. nailing 10 dudes and getting pwnt.. and then repeating the whole cycle again..

EDIT

one amazing spot for a support player is that lil ditch in the middle of the road.. on karkand
somewhere along the lines of market and suburb and on the level of square..
its a great place for support guns.. i dunno why but people rarely ever see you there from far off and your kills are easier to see ( you've got two spawn points covered)
oh yeah.. thats a good spot to hit people when they're on the hill top at suburb and as i said.. the two spawn points at square

Last edited by Eyeshooter (2006-08-24 05:18:24)

iPoon.be
Internet Poon
+145|6521|Belgium
I agree on the MG36 bashing.. I unlocked it sadly.. The bullets never seem to go to the top of your aiming point when zoomed, they aim halfway makes it really hard to hit anything at all. It sounds like plastic popcorn and the damage sucks too

Anyway, the guide helped

Last edited by iPoon.be (2006-08-24 05:59:56)

imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6761|Human Meat Shield
MG36 is crap.

I have a guide for the Support:

Primary weapon - grenades
Best tactic - dolphin dive macro
Primary Goal - spawncamp

Only give ammo to yourself and model your pixel after Volx.
ChyneseGUY
+20|6477
yeah good job on the guide, took me awhile to find it lol until i just searched for it. i started using the rpk cause i had to when my friend made me play with him in sf. I think its my new favorite lmg next to the pkm. it has a good rate of fire and it is pretty accurate compared to the other guns if u dont go full auto. I wouldnt say the MG36 is crap although im inclined to say so. I once killed a sniper on wake from the bunker to the edge of the beach (id say around 30m?) with one 3 shot burst standing. But id agree that once u start spraying with the mg36, your bullets seem to be hitting everything but the target.

another thing you might want to add is NEVER switch out of your lmg when you are capping a base. if someone spawns and they see you, you wont have time to switch it out. i got caught several times with my ammo bag out or grenades and an enemy took me out before my lmg was half way out.
Talon
+341|6752
Good, informative guide.

I'd suggest the following changes:

First, there's little point in talking about the Type 95 being used on Karkand or Sharqi.  Anyone doing that has managed to end up playing a very, very lost and confused Chinaman.  I'd just keep your references to the SAW and make a note somewhere that since the Chinese have yet to get an infantry map, their anti-infantry weapon is a bit pointless...
Its there already, at the end.

Secondly, I think that the order of preference list should always be map-dependent.  Yes, the PKM is very powerful, but it's slow(er) rate of fire means that at very close quarters (particularly with multiple enemies) the faster-firing guns are better.  The SAW and RPK are awesome in the corridors of Iron Gator or Warlord, for example, while the PKM is better for the really open maps (especially those with helicopters you can take a few points of armour off) like Mashtuur or Wake.
That may be your experience, but I find the PKM better for close range maps, as you get more assault/support players. Also, its always best to practice with one weapon and sitck to it. Valid point though.

Following up on that thought, the PKM's power deserves special mention.  A guide like this should include a note that if a PKM-wielding soldier spots a helicopter heading off for repairs, he should open up on the thing.  The 45 damage and (relatively) high rate of fire means that a couple of seconds is all it takes to drop a helo from "smoking" to "burning".  Even if you don't get the opportunity to finish off a damaged chopper, rattling rounds into the cockpit area of a Cobra or Havoc with the PKM may be enough to make him piss off home for repairs, giving your men on the ground a breather.

Lastly, typo:  third sentence of PKM entry should read "In the beginning it couldn't hit a thing..."
Thx for the typo. For the chopper thing, I'll have to download the unlocks mod and test it. I'm not sure if its any superioir vs vehicles than other LMGs.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

Support, isn't that the class with the '~give_all 1' cheat?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Bernadictus wrote:

That would be medic.
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6686|Howell, Mi USA
I love how u compare the Pkm to sniper rifles,  lol classic 
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

That would be medic.
No medic is '~heal'.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Bernadictus wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

That would be medic.
No medic is '~heal'.
Well, I don't cheat, so I have no idea.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6637|Ohio

Talon wrote:

The PKM is fine at medium/long range and can be sued for pretty much any map.
Yes, Im totally gonna sue the PKM, then i can get Jalalabad!
Talon
+341|6752
Thx - I can spell, I just type to fast...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard