sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6772|Argentina
After taking part in some threads, in the debate and serious talk? section I was called several times as a liberal populist or leftist.  Well, I'm not american, but you could call me liberal.  I'm certainly not conservative.
But, why do a great number of conservative people in this forum call liberal people this way??
I came to the conclusion they were brainwashed by the neoconservative propaganda that sells that everyone that's not a conservative is a "communist" or terrorist lapdog.  If being a liberal is what it's writen below, then you can call me communist if you are happier, because I'm liberal.
To enlight me a little more, since I could be wrong, I searched in internet what is being a liberal.  This is what I found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
Liberalism is an ideology, philosophical view, and political tradition which holds that liberty is the primary political value. Liberalism has its roots in the Western Enlightenment, but the term now encompasses a diversity of political thought.
Broadly speaking, contemporary liberalism emphasizes individual rights. It seeks a society characterized by freedom of thought for individuals, limitations on power, especially of government and religion, the rule of law, free public education, the free exchange of ideas, a market economy that supports relatively free private enterprise, and a transparent system of government in which the rights of all citizens are protected.  In modern society, liberals favor a liberal democracy with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law and an equal opportunity to succeed.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6705|Tampa Bay Florida
fair enough
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6583|Mountains of NC

a liberal wrote the wikipedia

j/k j/k j/k
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6674|BC, Canada
I've noticed alot of the same on these forums, its why i mostly stay away from the debate and serious talk section. alot of the time its like screaming at a wall. most conservative people on here seem to not be able to accept a good point based on the fact that it does not fit into their view of the world. and when they can no longer argue against a point they retreat into character attacks such as "liberal pussy" or other stereotypical shit.
its not that i blame them for resorting to character attacks, it falls into being a conditioned debate behavior in the states it seems. have you ever noticed the massive smear campaigns in every political race there. it has become a legitimate form of debate to most of them.
Navyholdi99
+4|6500|Virginia Beach, VA

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

I've noticed alot of the same on these forums, its why i mostly stay away from the debate and serious talk section. alot of the time its like screaming at a wall. most conservative people on here seem to not be able to accept a good point based on the fact that it does not fit into their view of the world. and when they can no longer argue against a point they retreat into character attacks such as "liberal pussy" or other stereotypical shit.
its not that i blame them for resorting to character attacks, it falls into being a conditioned debate behavior in the states it seems. have you ever noticed the massive smear campaigns in every political race there. it has become a legitimate form of debate to most of them.
Nicely said.  I consider myself a conservative but one thing I can't stand is total partisan politics.  What's worse is what you mentioned above...when people resort to namecalling when they can't accept a good/legitimate point.  To me, though...it seems like some of the namecalling isn't so much a result of political outlook but one of immaturity...or a combo of both. 

Word.

- Navyholdi99
Hellfire(Fish)
Your Favorite Whiny Liberal
+8|6520|Alabama, United States

Navyholdi99 wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

Nicely said.  I consider myself a conservative but one thing I can't stand is total partisan politics.  What's worse is what you mentioned above...when people resort to namecalling when they can't accept a good/legitimate point.  To me, though...it seems like some of the namecalling isn't so much a result of political outlook but one of immaturity...or a combo of both. 

Word.

- Navyholdi99
The one reasonable conservative out there
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6705|Tampa Bay Florida

Hellfire(Fish) wrote:

Navyholdi99 wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

Word.

- Navyholdi99
ATG is pretty reasonable himself, sometimes.  I'm surprised he won the vote for being the neo-cons representative

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-08-19 16:53:23)

Navyholdi99
+4|6500|Virginia Beach, VA

Hellfire(Fish) wrote:

Navyholdi99 wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

Word.

- Navyholdi99
lol...I do what I can...
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6772|Argentina

Navyholdi99 wrote:

Nicholas Langdon wrote:

Word.

- Navyholdi99
Very adult and mature.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6668

sergeriver wrote:

After taking part in some threads, in the debate and serious talk? section I was called several times as a liberal populist or leftist.  Well, I'm not american, but you could call me liberal.  I'm certainly not conservative.
But, why do a great number of conservative people in this forum call liberal people this way??
I came to the conclusion they were brainwashed by the neoconservative propaganda that sells that everyone that's not a conservative is a "communist" or terrorist lapdog.  If being a liberal is what it's writen below, then you can call me communist if you are happier, because I'm liberal.
In list form that's:

-liberty (i.e. freedom) is the primary polital value
-emphasizing the rights of the individual
-freedom of thought
-free market economy with private enterprise (taxed, of course)
-the power of government should be limited
-the power of religion should be limited
-rule of law
-free public education
-transparent government
-protection of the rights of all citizens
-open and fair elections
-equal rights by law
-all citizens should have the opportunity to succeed

The funny thing is many of the posters on these forums who bandy the term liberal about as though it's an insult would actually probably qualify as liberal themselves.  Just a thought.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6772|Argentina

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

In list form that's:

-freedom of thought
-rule of law
-free public education
-transparent government
-open and fair elections
-equal rights by law

The funny thing is many of the posters on these forums who bandy the term liberal about as though it's an insult would actually probably qualify as liberal themselves.  Just a thought.
Raise your hand if you don't want all these things for you and your family.  This goes to all the conservative people who always is using liberal as an insult or a disease.  Bush 'd be the medicine to all the above?  Thanks to UnOriginalNuttah for putting'em in a list form.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-08-19 17:21:59)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA
Don't anyone talk bad about me, I am watchin' ya. hehehehehe
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6787|PNW

sergeriver wrote:

I came to the conclusion they were brainwashed by the neoconservative propaganda that sells that everyone that's not a conservative is a "communist" or terrorist lapdog.
Probably the same way leftists sell to people that everyone who isn't a liberal is an oil-guzzling (who doesn't take part in that in an industrialized nation?) neo-con Zionazi. The terms "conservativism" and "liberalism" are popularly misused. Just as the US is not a democratic country; it is actually a constitutional republic.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-08-19 20:42:26)

Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6478|meh-land
Sorry, i have to put my part in:
I consider myself strongly conservative, but i am able to take other people's views seriously, and the poster makes a good point.  Liberal and Conservative nowadays do not mean what they meant in the old days, so if you call someone a liberal you really aren't calling them a liberal, but something else, and same goes for conservatives
Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ
See there's a clear problem with the "Evil Liberal" as some of us Conservatives see it. By this definition posted, Liberals seek small government with limited power. That's the complete opposite of the Liberals that Cons like me consider to be the "Enemy". They support massive government and numerous social programs funded by the government. While it's true that they also support individual rights and rule of law, which I do as well, the statement that Libs support small government is only in ideology. In truth they're supporting a much larger government than most Conservatives.
Capt. Foley
+155|6603|Allentown, PA, USA
I realy shouldnt participate in this cause Ill probably just get flamed. But I do not agree with liberals on most things(if you can use that term as it means almost nothing today). I do not like how the fund social programs with the tax payers money, I do not like how the tollerate everything(you have to stand up for something in your life). I guess the main thing is that I can see some of them protesting the war with Japan after Pearl Harbor, just not something I can stand.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

Spearhead wrote:

fair enough
Ditto, oh and hey St.Pete from Tampa.. 
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BVC
+325|6710
You know, as an outsider I can see that US liberals and conservatives seem quite a bit more extreme in their views than libs/cons in other western nations, its little wonder theres always insults and crazy idea flying round.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6680|NT, like Mick Dundee

Capt. Foley wrote:

I realy shouldnt participate in this cause Ill probably just get flamed. But I do not agree with liberals on most things(if you can use that term as it means almost nothing today). I do not like how the fund social programs with the tax payers money, I do not like how the tollerate everything(you have to stand up for something in your life). I guess the main thing is that I can see some of them protesting the war with Japan after Pearl Harbor, just not something I can stand.
Damn liberals and their tax payer funded military forces/defence forces.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

Flecco wrote:

Capt. Foley wrote:

Damn liberals and their tax payer funded military forces/defence forces.
Of which they are bitching about!!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6772|Argentina
I didn't say that all conservative people in the forum called liberals as leftist, communists, terrorists lapdog, but some did.  I know a lot of conservative folks that procede with an attitude of respect when talking about politics.  So, this was posted only for those who doesn't understand the differences between a liberal and terrorist lapdog. 
I feel a great respect for conservative people who can debate with clever opinions.  This is not an attack to conservatives.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-08-20 05:44:37)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6772|Argentina

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I came to the conclusion they were brainwashed by the neoconservative propaganda that sells that everyone that's not a conservative is a "communist" or terrorist lapdog.
Probably the same way leftists sell to people that everyone who isn't a liberal is an oil-guzzling (who doesn't take part in that in an industrialized nation?) neo-con Zionazi. The terms "conservativism" and "liberalism" are popularly misused. Just as the US is not a democratic country; it is actually a constitutional republic.
You see?  This is the meaning of the post.  To explain people like you that being a liberal doesn't imply to be a leftist.  I don't consider conservative people bad, they have different points of view, nothing else.  I fyou find that someone liberal has misusded the term conservative please open a thread like this and mark the differences between a conservative and the insults.

Although America is a federal republic, you may disagree with this definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usa
The United States has maintained a liberal democratic political system since it adopted its Articles of Confederation on 1 March 1781 and the Constitution.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6674|BC, Canada
Yesterday 21:13:33
+1
If you are a liberal you don't need to read this, you already know
You have no idea about American politics, and don't patronize an entire political system with such simple conditions. That coming from a countrymen that believes social systems actually work. 

i wonder if that came from a conservitive...

Last edited by Nicholas Langdon (2006-08-20 05:56:36)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

sergeriver wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

You see?  This is the meaning of the post.  To explain people like you that being a liberal doesn't imply to be a leftist.  I don't consider conservative people bad, they have different points of view, nothing else.  I fyou find that someone liberal has misusded the term conservative please open a thread like this and mark the differences between a conservative and the insults.

Although America is a federal republic, you may disagree with this definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usa
The United States has maintained a liberal democratic political system since it adopted its Articles of Confederation on 1 March 1781 and the Constitution.
Obviously sergeriver, you have forgotten about your little tantrums all over me in that other thread. You are no angel in your tolerance of other opinions.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6772|Argentina

Not wrote:

See there's a clear problem with the "Evil Liberal" as some of us Conservatives see it. By this definition posted, Liberals seek small government with limited power. That's the complete opposite of the Liberals that Cons like me consider to be the "Enemy". They support massive government and numerous social programs funded by the government. While it's true that they also support individual rights and rule of law, which I do as well, the statement that Libs support small government is only in ideology. In truth they're supporting a much larger government than most Conservatives.
Let's see mmm...

-freedom of thought
-rule of law
-free public education
-transparent government
-open and fair elections
-equal rights by law

Where in these sentences does it say that liberals seek a small government?  Here it says govermenment power limited.  Two different things.  While Bush administration seeks a small government (only in domestic issues of course), it has unlimited power.  I don't want to do a step by step review with Bush government, but I can tell you it doesn't fill almost none of these requirements.  If I were conservative, and they'd tell me that a conservative is all the opposite to these sentences I'd feel insulted.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard