tvmissleman wrote:

i dont drink at all
Same here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ … etfive.jpg
LOL is that you?
Dersmikner
+147|6498|Texas
I might be calssified as an alcoholic.

I binge drink occasionally, as in if we have wine night at my house and I know I don't have to drive, I'm going to have 2 whiskeys while prepping dinner, and probaly 5 or 6 glasses of wine during the evening.

When I am at the country club and I know I don't have to drive home, I'll drink 6 or 8 whiskeys in a day's time.

I might have 5 drinks a night for three straight days, but then I might though go for a week without drinking a drop of any kind of alcohol.

Who cares? I'm never late to work because of alcohol and I don't drink when I should be getting shit done.
Chou
+737|6791

Dersmikner wrote:

I might be calssified as an alcoholic.

I binge drink occasionally, as in if we have wine night at my house and I know I don't have to drive, I'm going to have 2 whiskeys while prepping dinner, and probaly 5 or 6 glasses of wine during the evening.

When I am at the country club and I know I don't have to drive home, I'll drink 6 or 8 whiskeys in a day's time.

I might have 5 drinks a night for three straight days, but then I might though go for a week without drinking a drop of any kind of alcohol.

Who cares? I'm never late to work because of alcohol and I don't drink when I should be getting shit done.
You are not an alcoholic
BVC
+325|6696
I do binge drink sometimes and will often have alcohol with food...beers and BBQ, wine and pasta...but I don't need it or depend on it, thus I don't consider myself an alcoholic.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

The US 'definition' of what alcoholism is a lttle over the top. By their 'definition' practically everyone in Ireland is an alcoholic. Real alcoholism is when you have become dependent on alcohol - when you need to drink every day and find it difficult to cope with not having your fix. We Irish drink to excess on a regular basis but we can take it or leave it - we are still in control.
LOL, in control as long as you have a drink in front of you that is.
Trel
+70|6677
"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all life's problems."
Good to be back.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Major_Spittle wrote:

jonnykill wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

The US 'definition' of what alcoholism is a lttle over the top. By their 'definition' practically everyone in Ireland is an alcoholic. Real alcoholism is when you have become dependent on alcohol - when you need to drink every day and find it difficult to cope with not having your fix. We Irish drink to excess on a regular basis but we can take it or leave it - we are still in control.
STFU , you hate America so much you even talk shit about it's "definition" of an Alcoholic . JUST STFU commie/alcoholic .
Actually this is the only thing I have agreed with Cameron about in 2 months......  I must be wrong.
LMAO!!!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

lowing wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

jonnykill wrote:

STFU , you hate America so much you even talk shit about it's "definition" of an Alcoholic . JUST STFU commie/alcoholic .
Actually this is the only thing I have agreed with Cameron about in 2 months......  I must be wrong.
LMAO!!!
Or was jonnykill being sarcastic?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

LMAO!!!
Or was jonnykill being sarcastic?
Oh I am sure he was but, I was laughin' at spittles comment about him agreeing with Cameronpoe. that was funny!!!!
BVC
+325|6696
Too much jagermeister and beer last night, even a feed of fish'h'chips couldn't cure it!  God damned drinking games!
Sn4kestyles
+1|6466

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Reminds me of a South Park episode. Alcoholism is not a disease. You are not born with alcoholism, nor is it an incurable and progressive illness, as Alcoholics Anonymous would have you believe, but rather a self-harming behavior problem. It is simply a matter of willpower. If an alcoholic is willing to identify and thoroughly address their issues, then there is no reason why he or she should not be able to consciously change their problematic behavior patterns. Calling alcoholism a disease is as stupid as calling addiction to World of Warcraft a disease. Futhermore, any of you alcoholics who attempt to refute this are simply looking for an excuse to justify your lack of willpower. Hypothetically, let's assume alcohol, is, in fact, a disease. All one would have to do to cure that "disease" is NOT DRINK. With that in mind, how rediculous does labeling this a disease sound?
Actually there seems to be stong support in medical circles for the theory of genetic addiction, usally towards alcohol, living in South Arfica and seeing the negative effects of the DOP system i think there might be truth, i mean after five or six generations of full blown alcoholics in family, apart for alcohol fetal syndrome there offspring of said familys are said to genetically addicted.

The Dop system refers to the historic practice on South African wine farms, whereby workers were paid with the alcoholic produce off the estate. This led to widespread alcohol dependence and set in motion a cycle of poverty and misery – including malnutrition, alcohol-related trauma, tuberculosis and other diseases as well as a range of social problems

more about the dop system
http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&am … DcountryZA

Genetic addiction
The genetic model posits a genetic predisposition to certain behaviors. It is frequently noted that certain addictions "run in the family," and while researchers continue to explore the extent of genetic influence, there is strong evidence that genetic predisposition is often a factor in dependency. Researchers have had difficulty assessing differences, however, between social causes of dependency learned in family settings and genetic factors related to heredity.

http://www.bodyandmind.co.za/healthweb/ … rview.html
or read more about it at the link abouve
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6491|Menlo Park, CA

CameronPoe wrote:

That is a fallacy. . . .OUR DEFINITION??? Alcoholism is alcoholism, you are either dependent or not! Not all alcoholics drink to excess everytime they drink! It is a complex disease that is cunning and baffling(a little AA sample for you).  Alcoholics come in many forms, all races, and economic backrounds!!

And YES, the alcoholism rate in Ireland is alarming considering the size and population of the country!! I am Irish, and I have alcoholism in my genes FOR SURE!! Now I have taken classes on alcholism, because I AM AN ALCOHOLIC, and was forced to due so by the courts of California!!  I can say that not all alcoholics drink everyday, they can go days and days without drinking, but they are still alcoholics!!  I dont drink everyday, and I know that I am an alcoholic, I dont necessarily need my "fix" as you call it.

Its a very complex definition that people struggle with grasping on a daily basis!  Its not a black and white subject at all. . . You may be "in control" but that is an alcoholics thinking!! Bottom line is an alcoholic can be a functioning control freak, it just takes one slip up to realize that alcohol can sneek up to you at ANY MOMMENT to effect your life!!

Like I said before, if negative things continue to occur as a result of alcohol usage, and that person continues to drink despite those negative things/reactions etc. they are an alcoholic!!!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

The US 'definition' of what alcoholism is a lttle over the top. .
I know absolutly no American that thinks that. I wen't threw a period where I drank quite frequently.
College years, imagine that. I had a few bad incedents and now I rarely do.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-08-20 03:40:58)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Budo7
+2|6773

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Reminds me of a South Park episode. Alcoholism is not a disease. You are not born with alcoholism, nor is it an incurable and progressive illness, as Alcoholics Anonymous would have you believe, but rather a self-harming behavior problem. It is simply a matter of willpower. If an alcoholic is willing to identify and thoroughly address their issues, then there is no reason why he or she should not be able to consciously change their problematic behavior patterns. Calling alcoholism a disease is as stupid as calling addiction to World of Warcraft a disease. Futhermore, any of you alcoholics who attempt to refute this are simply looking for an excuse to justify your lack of willpower. Hypothetically, let's assume alcohol, is, in fact, a disease. All one would have to do to cure that "disease" is NOT DRINK. With that in mind, how rediculous does labeling this a disease sound?
Lack of will power? No, once a person becomes a full blown drunk, he/she has to have the booze, if they do not, they could die from not having it. Why do you think there are so many rehabs? It's to detox drunks so that they live. Yes after that is done, its a choice they have to drink or not to. Once they drink, its over. Also keep in mind their are folks who are tools, and think its funny to put booze in a drunks soda, yes I have seen it happen. Folks trying to prove a point. If you don't know about a illness then don't comment on it. I have cancer and I am a recovering drunk. If you ask me it's easier to have cancer then being a drunk. As far as a cure to the disease their is not one, it can be arrested, much like cancer, but they will always have the disease. By not doing something, say drinking, does not cure the disease, nor once you have cancer, does stoping smoking cure the disease.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6647

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

This is why I love South Park.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

I'd rather have a drink in front of me than a frontal labotomy. 
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6743|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
24 tin's of beer in a tray, 24 hours in a day, coincidence? I think not..
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6702|New York
Funny you mention this.

I don't drink any more, Because of my medications from my broken back. But heres the kicker about Booze.
You hear all the hype about Second hand smoke Killing, thats been the argument for years now right? Now, Just walking outside you will breath in more pollution 2 fold than second hand smoke. Also, I haven't heard of a smoker Smoking and driving, thus resulting in killing anyone. I haven't heard of Smoking causing domestic violence, nor divorce, murder, or racial violence while smoking a cig. Quite the opposite is true for Booze though.

BUT will the Anti's go after Booze? Would the Govt ever get behind Going after  Big Booze companies? Nope. Think about it, Who Smokes? Middle class and Poor. Who Drinks? Most everyone Social drinks or just flat out drinks for the sake of it. Most people think just because its Beer, Its safe, it does no harm, WRONG. The implications from the lack of tax dollars from alcohol and the lack of tariffs on imported booze would be staggering to the economy.

With better education of the harmful effects of tobacco, Kids are getting the message, If the big tobacco companies were to go away tomorrow it wouldn't have as profound of an impact as would say a Ban on Booze. Think about it, Alcohol kills more people every year, including Innocent people than cigarettes, yet you'll never see a campaign against booze any time soon. I can agree, people have the right to breathe clean air, In public, But when you start banning it from Open air parks and in the outdoors, Thats when you infringe on ones personal choices and lifestyle. Yet Booze is accepted even at Kids soccer games. Go figure.
Uberge
Sigs are for n00bs
+17|6438|Sydney, Australia
It is considered healthy for a man to drink upto 4 standard drink everyday in a 7 days cycle with 2 AFD's (Alcohol Free Days) So basically 4 beers 5 out of 7 days a week, i think that is a level that anyone can adhere too.

(It changes for women to be upto 2 standard drinks a day)
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6782

BUDFORCE wrote:

Just wondering is anyone else an alcoholic?

I know I say it in quite a jokign mannor, but I have been drinking nearly every evening for about 3 years now.

I dont get drunk every evening, sometimes just a few beers, infact I very rarely get drunk now, because I know all too well the side effects of waking up the next morning feeling like shit.

Most nights I will drink about 4 - 6 cans of beer  (1 can is 500ml at 4%  so about 2 units each)

I can do this and wake up feeling absolutely fine.

I dont drink in the day, only after work. I havnt gone a day without a drink now for a long time, and really Im not to sure if I still could, nor do I particularly want to try.
I exercise regularly, eat reasonably healthy and I dont smoke

I love alcohol, I liek the way its relaxes you in teh evening, makes music sound better and makes it easy fall asleep and get a good nights sleep.

So, for me at this stage in my life, I dont really think it is a problem at all, although I know I am classed as an alcoholic.

Anyone mind sharing your own thoughts about alcohol and you?
don't really think you are an alcoholic.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6631|USA
i think hugo chavez is the real authority on deciding who is or is not an alcoholic.  give him a call and he can tell you.  i think if you ask cameronpoe he will give you his number.

j/k cameron...i know you dont have his number.

Last edited by smtt686 (2006-09-26 16:27:01)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6550|Southeastern USA
I was the only person I know to be smart when making new year's resolutions

Kr@cker- I'm going to become an alcoholic

If you're going to make one, make it attainable, this year alone I've had no less than 5 nights, possibly 8 (can't remember honestly), in which I've needed others to tell me what the fuck I did.........................that being said, they were all at either mine or my neighbors place (we live in the same building), so I'm at least reserving it for when I have a controlled environment, makes me wonder if I'm a true alcoholic, I honestly don't think I can bring myself to binge drink in a situation that might put others in danger.

I'm drunk now actually, Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Cherry Wheat kicks ass (had about 4 of each tonight), 5.5% or so, not the piddly 3-4 % of most macro brews, though I usually stick to wine at about 12-15% alcohol, liquor is a weekend only option for the kr@cker.

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-09-26 19:16:28)

iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6546
It's all about moderation. If your really concerned, just cut back on how many you drink in a sitting. I rarely drink, but I have friends who are hardcore alcoholics(like crap your pants and run from the cops with handcuffs on and pants around your ankles) and I tend to binge drink when I hang out with them.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6782

Alcoholism is a disease.  Its a common mistake to assume that a person who drinks alot is an alcoholic.

To be clear about this, consider the following: You can be a sober alcoholic or you can be a heavy drinking non-alcoholic.

Even if an alcoholic has been sober for 10 years, he is still an alcoholic because alcohol affects that person differently than it does non-alcoholics.  Its the physiological reaction to alcohol that is different for alcoholics.  Even after 10 years, once an alcoholic has that one drink they will quickly spiral back into uncontrolled drinking.

On the other hand, there are many people who consume large quantities of alcohol on a regular basis without losing control of their lives.  They are able to hold down jobs, maintain normal relationships, not get in trouble etc.  They may be drinking too often and too much for their health, they may get to a point where alcohol is a normal and integral part of their lives, but the alcohol doesn't wind up controlling them (even if they do crave it). 

If you drink alot, the tricky part is knowing in which category you fall.  Early stage alcoholics and heavy drinkers can be virtually indistinguishable because the early stage alcoholic is also able to lead functional lives.  The only problem is that the alcoholic will develop into later stages where alcohol takes control of their lives...other things are secondary.

If you drink alot, ask yourself whether the alcohol is starting to get the better of you...and you need to be brutally honest with yourself cause one of the problems of alcoholism is the ability to rationalize your problem behavior.  Are you having blackouts?  Hangovers?  Work Problems?  Social Problems?  Legal or financial problems?  Drinking in the morning or during the workday?  Are people around you telling you that you drink too much?

If so then you may have a problem.

From what you write BUDFORCE, I would say that you're probably not an alcoholic.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard