alpinestar
+304|6587|New York City baby.
It is relatively very new discovery in reverse engineering the evolution, this discovery is one of the biggest in our lifetimes.
Aug. 7, 2006 - University of Utah scientists have shown how evolution works by reversing the process, reconstructing a 530-million-year-old gene by combining key portions of two modern mouse genes that descended from the archaic gene.

http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=073106-1
(large pictures of lab mice on the website)

I think it is now safe to say that evolution is a fact ?

https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9996/imageresize2phpxv0.jpg

Last edited by alpinestar (2006-08-18 10:41:19)

Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6700|Wilmington, DE, US
Liar. I hunted the dinosaurs to extinction.

I'm surprised it came from the University of Utah though. While I was out in Salt Lake the place had a reputation to be slightly religiously skewed, not nearly as much as BYU though.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6653|USA
The Prez says intelligent design is fact. So it MUST be true. /sarcasm

Evolution is what needs to be taught. The state of Kansas should be ashamed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/11/08 … debate.ap/

just my opinion. I know what I would want my child taught.

edit: Evolution FTW

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2006-08-15 09:24:31)

Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6637

Ikarti wrote:

Liar. I hunted the dinosaurs to extinction.

I'm surprised it came from the University of Utah though. While I was out in Salt Lake the place had a reputation to be slightly religiously skewed, not nearly as much as BYU though.
https://www.criticalmassinteractive.com/images/Covers%20and%20Small%20Covers/Turok.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
Damnit Pollux. That game sucked. I always got stuck behind like a fence or something and could never pass that game when I rented it. It was a waste of my time being BS especially when Goldeneye was so much more fun.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6653|USA

DesertFox423 wrote:

Damnit Pollux. That game sucked. I always got stuck behind like a fence or something and could never pass that game when I rented it. It was a waste of my time being BS especially when Goldeneye was so much more fun.
All Turok games sucked.

I would still play goldeneye if I had it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

And Americans wonder why the rest of the world think they're stupid. It's because things like this get publicised. The most outspoken Americans seem to be the stupid ones (I know you're not all stupid, I know several very intelligent Americans) and they're giving the rest of you a bad name.

Shame on them, with their crazy backwardsness - teaching that sort of crap to their kids is hardly going to help matters either.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6686|Mountains of West Virginia

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

DesertFox423 wrote:

All Turok games sucked.

I would still play goldeneye if I had it.
I Still play it. Fucking top notch game.
JaMDuDe
+69|6768
Evolution can never be a fact because we cant go back and look if we have a common ancestor.
Sgt.Todd_3465
+22|6495
Due to the fact that Humans and Apes have almost identical DNA and that bones of a creature that matched half man half ape were found to be a few million year old.. suggests that we came from the same place.

Also, why would god have had dinosuars on earth for a few hundred million years and decide to get rid of them and put us here? Did he get tired of the Dinosaurs and killed them off for his next "game"? 

Does that mean he will get tired of us and get rid of us for his next creation?

Think about it.
R3v0LuT!oN
+22|6657|United States
I'm actually a student at the University of Utah, and it pleases me very much that my school, in the middle of this very religious state, is making such headway in the field of evolutionary biology.  The U of U actually manages to operate fairly independently of religious influence considering how much of an influence the Mormon church has on almost everything else in this state. 

Cool stuff, though.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

R3v0LuT!oN wrote:

I'm actually a student at the University of Utah, and it pleases me very much that my school, in the middle of this very religious state, is making such headway in the field of evolutionary biology.  The U of U actually manages to operate fairly independently of religious influence considering how much of an influence the Mormon church has on almost everything else in this state. 

Cool stuff, though.
That's reassuring to hear.

JaMDuDe wrote:

Evolution can never be a fact because we cant go back and look if we have a common ancestor.
You don't need to go back and look, you can prove things by other methods. But since you don't believe in evolution I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Do you even know what evolution is? It has been proven - any changes made by species to work better with their environment are evolutionary and those can be seen. It has been proven, totally and conclusively any one who doesn't believe in it is just ignorant/stupid.

There are many commonly accepted theories in science I can understand people not believing - the Big Bang for example (although that is a virtual certainty) has not been proven absolutely and therefore people don't need to believe in it - but not believing in evolution is just idiocy.
herrr_smity
+156|6619|space command ur anus

JaMDuDe wrote:

well can you go back and prove that the world was created in 7 days, and that women is created of the rib of man.
JaMDuDe
+69|6768

herrr_smity wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

well can you go back and prove that the world was created in 7 days, and that women is created of the rib of man.
Is this a question? No you cant go back.

I know what evolution is bertster. Evolution can never be a scientific fact. It may be able to be a very well proven theory but since we cant watch it from the beginning and test everything about it along the way it cant be fact.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6546

JaMDuDe wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

I know what evolution is bertster. Evolution can never be a scientific fact. It may be able to be a very well proven theory but since we cant watch it from the beginning and test everything about it along the way it cant be fact.
It's just as well we can test the theory the earth was created in 7 days then.
Mike_J
+68|6660

Bertster7 wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

And Americans wonder why the rest of the world think they're stupid. It's because things like this get publicised. The most outspoken Americans seem to be the stupid ones (I know you're not all stupid, I know several very intelligent Americans) and they're giving the rest of you a bad name.

Shame on them, with their crazy backwardsness - teaching that sort of crap to their kids is hardly going to help matters either.
I don't think it has anything to do with how outspoken a person is.  It relies on what the media feels would make a money making headline.  Bad news and ridiculous news is good news...sadly.
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6513
mormons ftl
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6531|The Lost Highway
Yeah, evolution is a fact. Everything evolves, anyone can see that. But I still refuse to think we're "Highly evolved apes."

We share DNA with them, but according to something I read, we share even more with dogs.

Basically, some of our "building blocks" are shared with other creatures, but that doesn't mean 600000 years ago we were apes. Nor does this disprove an existence of 'God' or a higher power.

Last edited by mKmalfunction (2006-08-15 12:17:28)

fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6482|Menlo Park, CA

herrr_smity wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

lol! ribs are delicious!!
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6700|Wilmington, DE, US

CameronPoe wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

It's just as well we can test the theory the earth was created in 7 days then.
Well Cameron, that's faith. And you can prove faith by
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6676|Espoo, Finland
Don't flame the mormons, they are funny
Colfax
PR Only
+70|6635|United States - Illinois

Sgt.Todd_3465 wrote:

Also, why would god have had dinosaurs on earth for a few hundred million years and decide to get rid of them and put us here? Did he get tired of the Dinosaurs and killed them off for his next "game"?
Most dinosaurs were believed to have died because of a meteor hitting earth (am i right).  Therefore God had no hand in that.  Because he doesn't just throw them at planets for fun.

herrr_smity wrote:

Is it to hard of an idea that man can not comprehend what a day is in God's eye.  A blink of an eye in God's eyes could be 100 hundred years.  So a day could be millions of years.  That idea is no more bizarre or incomprehensible then any other scientific theories.

I believe in evolution and intelligent design.  I think they happened together.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

JaMDuDe wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

Well clearly you don't know what it is, based on the statements you have just made. mKmalfunction seems to understand that evolution is fact without believing that we have evolved from apes:

mKmalfunction wrote:

Yeah, evolution is a fact. Everything evolves, anyone can see that. But I still refuse to think we're "Highly evolved apes."
He does understand what evolution is. I think he's wrong about a lot of points but at least he has bothered to learn about the FACTS. He has his own opinion, which is fair enough based on current research into the subject.

There is a massive amount of evidence that man has evolved, not from apes, but from the ancestors of apes.

JaMDuDe I don't think that you actually believe all the nonsense you post on here. I think you're just doing it to get a reaction. Because no one educated in the western world could possibly present such stupid opinions as logical arguments.

I don't believe in any sort of intelligent design. Although I am perfectly willing to concede that the events set in motion by the Big Bang could have been initialised by a higher power (creator) and a being of such immense power could have set the stage for humans to evolve as they have done - which I suppose is somehow akin to intelligent design.
JaMDuDe
+69|6768

Bertster7 wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

Well clearly you don't know what it is, based on the statements you have just made. mKmalfunction seems to understand that evolution is fact without believing that we have evolved from apes:

mKmalfunction wrote:

He does understand what evolution is. I think he's wrong about a lot of points but at least he has bothered to learn about the FACTS. He has his own opinion, which is fair enough based on current research into the subject.

There is a massive amount of evidence that man has evolved, not from apes, but from the ancestors of apes.

JaMDuDe I don't think that you actually believe all the nonsense you post on here. I think you're just doing it to get a reaction. Because no one educated in the western world could possibly present such stupid opinions as logical arguments.

I don't believe in any sort of intelligent design. Although I am perfectly willing to concede that the events set in motion by the Big Bang could have been initialised by a higher power (creator) and a being of such immense power could have set the stage for humans to evolve as they have done - which I suppose is somehow akin to intelligent design.
The THEORY that everything evolved through a common ancestry isnt fact. I know you would like it to be but it is a scientific theory. There are massive amounts of evidence for it but its still not a fact. Its still a theory that everything is made of atoms, even though we know they are there. Evolution cannot be a scientific fact unless we watch it from the beginning and do tests along the way.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

JaMDuDe wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

The THEORY that everything evolved through a common ancestry isnt fact. I know you would like it to be but it is a scientific theory. There are massive amounts of evidence for it but its still not a fact. Its still a theory that everything is made of atoms, even though we know they are there. Evolution cannot be a scientific fact unless we watch it from the beginning and do tests along the way.
That's not what I said. Evolution in itself and the FACT that things evolve and can be seen to evolve is FACT. Common ancestry has nothing to do with this.
Re-read what I have written. Look at the quotes I use from others who do not believe humans evolved from apes. It is FACT that things change dependent on their environment to become more successful.

There are ways of proving things without going back and doing tests along the way. Although the history of human evolution is still unclear, it is highly probable based on current evidence that we are descended from the ancestors of apes, if you don't believe that, fair enough - that is not just what evolution is about, it is about species changing over time based on what is successful - which HAS BEEN PROVEN.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard