ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6515
Noob, slang for a newbie refers to a new, inexperienced, or ignorant gamer. The term is generally regarded as an insult, although in many cases more experienced/knowledgeable people use it in purposes of negative reinforcement, urging "newbies" to learn more about the field or area in question. The term "newb" itself is usually used to refer to a person who is new to the field in question, whereas "noob" is used as an insult.

Variations include: noob, newb, knob, nub, noOB, nOOb, nib, nibblin, Frodo Nibblin, fruity noob, newblet, nub sauce, nubz, nubcakes, nublich, nubzorz, Nibli, nob, nab, naab, or nublet.

When a player calls another player a noob, it is normally an insult toward the player doing something ignorant, stupid, or in some cases, for merely pwning the name-calling player.

Of course the slang term "pwn" (past tense: pwned, pwn3d, pwnd, pwnt, or "p00n", is means to defeat an opponent in a video-game. In this context, to be pwned can be defined as "to be defeated," with the strong connotation of also having been "made a fool of." It is generally used for "friendly taunting" of a player's in-game enemies, and rubbing in any victories, no matter how fleeting. Most gamers hold the view that to "own" someone is to defeat them well, but to "pwn" them is to hand them a decisive defeat where you clearly dominated, and thus, the word "pwn" is seen as the next step above "own".

Researchers believe individuals who engage in frequent name calling suffer from deep sociological and pyschological issues. It is generally agreed that individuals who refer to other players as "noobs" or who brag about "pwning" other gamers, are attempting to compensate for fragile egos, a lack of self-worth, or a sense of failure in there own lives.

Researchers have labeled participants of this ritualistic degradation, especially younger members of the gaming culture, as the "soft" generation. Members of this generation have yet to establish an identify, such as "baby boomers" or "X Generation". This "soft" generation, raised on electronic media, such as computers, DVDs and console games, lacks the experiences that define their generational identity, when compared to earlier generations that experienced varying levels of stresses, such as the vietnam war, cold war, and the oil crisis of the 70's. These experiences and physical hardships of experiences of earlier generations, "hardened" generation members, better preparing to cope with personal and professional challenges.
Today's gaming generation is believe to be plagued with a wide variety of pyschological problems as a result of lacking mental toughness and durability. When forced to deal with challenges of their self worth, members of the "soft" generation are forced to revert back to childhood behavior to find references for dealing with these issues. This regression not only produces an unhealthy reaction to stress, but further compounds the development of pyschological problems stemming from lack of self-worth and shattered ego.
So, when a player calls you a "noob" or says you were "pwned", consider it a cry for help rather than an insult.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6590|Seattle

My name is Downy and I'm a noob.

Great definition bro-
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
aLi3nZ
+138|6499|New Zealand
So, when a player calls you a "noob" or says you were "pwned", consider it a cry for help rather than an insult.
Not the case in all situations when such terms are used.

Did you write this yourself? If not have a source?

What is the purpose of this thread? Looks like you're trolling.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6744|Chicago.
I beg to differ.

There are a few of us there who meerly use this kind of talk as a joke.

Like pwnt. I say that alot. It dosen't mean that I'm crying out for help.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6713|California

i prefer the silent alternative to calling someone a noob, teabagging.
maestrium
+13|6478|Arizona
You're such a noob and I could pwn you anyday..

lol great post.
Arkhon
FullMetalHead
+20|6493|Canberra, Australia
It's obvious people don't read the majority of other people's posts and just summarise it hence some of the stupid posts above mine. But heh I agree that the word 'noob' is way to overused and most people wouldn't know what it means anyway. It really does show your age.

Last edited by Arkhon (2006-08-07 15:59:07)

Tushers
Noctwisaskfirtush
+224|6677|Some where huntin in Wisconsin
calling suffer from deep sociological and pyschological issues. It is generally agreed that individuals who refer to other players as "noobs" or who brag about "pwning" other gamers, are attempting to compensate for fragile egos, a lack of self-worth, or a sense of failure in there own lives.
insult.

who ever wrote thats probly a 80 year old man tired of hearing his grandkid say it while playing CSS on christmas when his whole family is over...

and beleave me i aint soft, after seeing my girlfriend half naked < lost her top while we where both wake boarding she tried lol
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6712|Las Vegas
Your post sounds like a "cry for help".   Is everything ok man?
Arkhon
FullMetalHead
It's obvious that he didn't create the post so I don't know why you bother posting stupid shit like that... you guys really show your age sometimes.
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6769
BRAVO....i like it
SoC./Omega
+122|6534|Omaha, Nebraska!
yay!
vanmani
Unintentionally Verbose
+26|6584|Australia
Definition is fine and all. What I don't necessarily appreciate is when the "older" generation decides that the current generation isn't "tough" enough, because they don't have enough "hardships" anymore. The reality is, they always think their lives were harder than yours. And they always have, their parents thought the same of them, and their parents parents thought the same of their parents, and their parents parents parents thought the same of their parents parents. Quality of life may be improving in some parts of the world, but that doesn't make people weak. The world's still an awful place.
Arkhon
FullMetalHead
And you'll do the same thing to your kids get over it.
TXVeteran512
+16|6485
wheres the cliff notes
deadawakeing
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm
+145|6475
and urrrrrr gay
Zilla
Killa of threads
+122|6634|7th level of hell

stryyker wrote:

i prefer the silent alternative to calling someone a noob, teabagging.
or dry humping
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6692|NCFSU2
Sack of puppies.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6698|Antarctica
@ topic starter, Your a n0ob for posting this rubbish definition.
cablecopulate
+449|6731|Massachusetts.
Am I on wikipedia? did somebody just literally just out what noob meant?
Impaqt
+37|6631|Chicago, Il
Great post.....  Only thing that is stopping me from +1ing ya is the nagging in my head that this is NOT original work..... 

Entertaining with subtle hints of truth.....

EDIT:  Well, heres a LOT of it...
http://www.answers.com/topic/newbie

Last edited by Impaqt (2006-08-07 17:12:35)

manitobapaintballa
+32|6612

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

@ topic starter, Your a n0ob for posting this rubbish definition.
no he hit the nail on the head lol
Lazzars
+4|6640

ig88 wrote:

researchers believe individuals who engage in frequent name calling suffer from deep sociological and pyschological issues. It is generally agreed that individuals who refer to other players as "noobs" or who brag about "pwning" other gamers, are attempting to compensate for fragile egos, a lack of self-worth, or a sense of failure in there own lives.
or a small e-penis

anywho

researchers?

damn people actually spend time researcing this stuff?

seriously that must be a waste of a degree
RD_The_Dog
+87|6530
I would have to agree that people who continously resort to name-calling (faggot, for example) do have deep-seeded emotional issues, and resort to name-calling as a way to make themselves feel better (or equal).  So, i concur.

However, Calling people n00bs doesnt necassarily mean what the original post suggests.  I often call fellow clan members and buddies noobs, but all in gest.  I find it promotes healthy competition.  Most of the time it's actually a joke. 

The same applies for using the term "pwn".  I use it all the time, but in sentences like "Damn, n00bcake88 is pwning my ass with that g36e tonight"  or "noob-saibot just knifed me again! p00ned!".

But, alot of the post is true, and it was a good read, so fuck the people who said it was useless
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA
LOL, now ya did it, ya upset all the name callers...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard