Poll

How many Americans know of the burning of Washington D.C.?

Yes, you do know about the event.75%75% - 109
No, you didn't know.24%24% - 35
Total: 144
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6769|67.222.138.85

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

The embargoes were lifted before the war was declared, it's just that the US president hadn't heard about it by that time.

The trading vessels that you are refering to were 'stolen' under these embargoes, since they were lifted before the war began they cannot really be counted amongst the achievements of the war, can they?
Would you trust a country that had been kidnapping your citizens and putting them in their armed services when they said they'd stop?
They did stop. Trust was not even an issue as the Americans hadn't even heard of the cessation, the embargoes had been officially ended, they were over.

Towards the end of the war, at which point you seem to think the British were losing, the British had just triumphed over Napoleon (a dangerous adversary, not like the US) and sent reinforcements to the Navy, who then won every engagement they were involved in. More troops had been freed up to go and fight the US, but they couldn't be bothered. So they burnt down your capital and went home. I've never heard anything about the Americans marching on London.

You lost - face it.
My point is why the hell was the impressment ever official in the first place. That's complete bs, taking people form other countries and forcing them into your navy. And, back to the beginning, if we were such pushovers, why did britain request a treaty?

Seriously, I've already stated that Britain would have won had all its resources been dedicated to the war with America, however, they weren't. You have ot ask what the objectives of the war were, and whether they were met or not.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6829|UK

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

That doesn't matter to my point. I'm saying any victory where your country still works is a victory.
The British accomplished their goals though. I fail to see how they lost. Thier invasion wasn't repelled by the Americans, a treaty was signed for peace.
If I remember correctly I think it was repelled, and I know the US won a series of naval battles as well. The US didn't sit on their duffs asking Britain to sign a treaty.
Well the americans nearly lost about 10 times. Just gunna get my book about it and ill list them.
Flaming_Maniac

Vilham wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

The British accomplished their goals though. I fail to see how they lost. Thier invasion wasn't repelled by the Americans, a treaty was signed for peace.
If I remember correctly I think it was repelled, and I know the US won a series of naval battles as well. The US didn't sit on their duffs asking Britain to sign a treaty.
Well the americans nearly lost about 10 times. Just gunna get my book about it and ill list them.
How about just listing all the battles and who won/lost?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6644|SE London

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

My point is why the hell was the impressment ever official in the first place. That's complete bs, taking people form other countries and forcing them into your navy. And, back to the beginning, if we were such pushovers, why did britain request a treaty?

Seriously, I've already stated that Britain would have won had all its resources been dedicated to the war with America, however, they weren't. You have ot ask what the objectives of the war were, and whether they were met or not.
American Objectives of the War :

1. To gain territory in North America.

2. To stop British violations of US sovreignty.

OK, do we agree so far?

Good.

(Sovreignty violations stopped 2 days prior to the start of the war)

What the Americans Achieved in the War :

Nothing.

They gained no territory at all and they could not stop the British violations of US sovreignty in the war because they had already stopped.

Sounds like they lost to me.

"That's complete bs, taking people form other countries and forcing them into your navy."

Oh yes and taking people from other countries and forcing them into slavery is fine.
One of the main points the Americans were pissed off about after the war was that the British did not return liberated slaves, because the British did not consider them property, they were free people - since slavery had been abolished in Britain.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-08-07 08:40:35)

Flaming_Maniac
The United States declared War on Great Britain on June 12, 1812. The war was declared as a result of long simmering disputes with Great Britian. The central dispute surrounded the impressment of American soldiers by the British. The British had previously attacked the USS Chesapeake and nearly caused a war two year earlier. In addition, disputes continued with Great Britain over the Northwest Territories and the border with Canada. Finally, the attempts of Great Britain to impose a blockade on France during the Napoleonic Wars was a constant source of conflict with the United States.

From http://www.historycentral.com/1812/declares.html

Sounds pretty accurate to me

The War of 1812 is one of the forgotten wars of the United States. The war lasted for over two years, and while it ended much like it started; in stalemate; it was in fact a war that once and for all confirmed American Independence. The offensive actions of the United States failed in every attempt to capture Canada. On the other hand, the British army was successfully stopped when it attempted to capture Baltimore and New Orleans. There were a number of American naval victories in which American vessels proved themselves superior to similarly sized British vessels. These victories coming after victories in the Quasi War (an even more forgotten war) launched American naval traditions.

From http://www.historycentral.com/1812/
Flaming_Maniac

Bertster7 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

American Objectives of the War :

1. To gain territory in North America.

2. To stop British violations of US sovreignty.

OK, do we agree so far?

Good.

(Sovreignty violations stopped 2 days prior to the start of the war)

What the Americans Achieved in the War :

Nothing.

They gained no territory at all and they could not stop the British violations of US sovreignty in the war because they had already stopped.

Sounds like they lost to me.
"That's complete bs, taking people form other countries and forcing them into your navy."

Oh yes and taking people from other countries and forcing them into slavery is fine.
One of the main points the Americans were pissed off about after the war was that the British did not return liberated slaves, because the British did not consider them property, they were free people - since slavery had been abolished in Britain.
And?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6829|UK

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Ok if we put it that way the British won nearly every single battle that there was. Anyway give me time im still writing up this long responce.

Last edited by Vilham (2006-08-07 08:48:20)

Flaming_Maniac

Vilham wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Ok if we put it that way the British won nearly every single battle that there was. Anyway give me time im still writing up this long responce.
Ok, thanks for writing it up.
manitobapaintballa
+32|6681
i'll admit i didn't read the 3 pages so i'm sorry if i repeat anything

the us invaded canada and with a pretty small force of british regulars, drunken farmers, angry natives, and certified crazys (officers) we reppelled the american maifest destiny.

the americans invaded us because they thought that it was thier destiny to control all of north america.

the first 3 forts that canadians took we didn't even fire a shot the american brass didn't even get around to telling alot of their own military about the war before they told the canadians about it.  hell the first fort we took they let us in and we told em that they were surunded and to surrender with about 50 natives "wooping" just to scare em they layed down arms.

the next 2 we took knew that they were at war and one fort had already been taken, so they same force that took the first base just sat around and "wooped" for a couple of days then one guy walked up and told em to surrender and they did.

long story short is when we burned down washington it was a mistake, we took the whitehouse and when we celebrated fire insued.
Flaming_Maniac

manitobapaintballa wrote:

i'll admit i didn't read the 3 pages so i'm sorry if i repeat anything

the us invaded canada and with a pretty small force of british regulars, drunken farmers, angry natives, and certified crazys (officers) we reppelled the american maifest destiny.

the americans invaded us because they thought that it was thier destiny to control all of north america.

the first 3 forts that canadians took we didn't even fire a shot the american brass didn't even get around to telling alot of their own military about the war before they told the canadians about it.  hell the first fort we took they let us in and we told em that they were surunded and to surrender with about 50 natives "wooping" just to scare em they layed down arms.

the next 2 we took knew that they were at war and one fort had already been taken, so they same force that took the first base just sat around and "wooped" for a couple of days then one guy walked up and told em to surrender and they did.

long story short is when we burned down washington it was a mistake, we took the whitehouse and when we celebrated fire insued.
Yep, Canada wasn't one of our finest moments, had some pretty stupid leaders there. Though I'm pretty sure manifest destiny was coast to coast, not much to do with Canada...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6644|SE London

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The United States declared War on Great Britain on June 12, 1812. The war was declared as a result of long simmering disputes with Great Britian. The central dispute surrounded the impressment of American soldiers by the British. The British had previously attacked the USS Chesapeake and nearly caused a war two year earlier. In addition, disputes continued with Great Britain over the Northwest Territories and the border with Canada. Finally, the attempts of Great Britain to impose a blockade on France during the Napoleonic Wars was a constant source of conflict with the United States.
OK, British policy had changed on the 10th of June, 1812. These changes included, but were not limited to, stopping the impressment of American sailors and lifting the trade embargoes on France.

The only disputes left after you take those out of the equation, as they had been before the war began, are territorial and the US gained NO territory at all during the war.

I have heard it said by many Americans, who seem remarkably badly informed, that the Battle of New Orleans was the deciding factor that caused the British to sign the Treaty of Ghent - it was not.

*edit*
That History Central website is very professional, did you make it yourself?

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-08-07 09:10:09)

Flaming_Maniac
On January 8, 1815, American forces, under General Jackson, decisively defeat the British forces trying to capture New Orleans. The battle, which takes place after the Treaty of Ghent has been signed, is the most decisive American victory of the war.

From the same site.

I agree that many were misinformed, but it is easy to see why they were incorrect.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6644|SE London

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

On January 8, 1815, American forces, under General Jackson, decisively defeat the British forces trying to capture New Orleans. The battle, which takes place after the Treaty of Ghent has been signed, is the most decisive American victory of the war.

From the same site.

I agree that many were misinformed, but it is easy to see why they were incorrect.
Very true.

I can see why a lot of Americans who don't know the facts behind it seem to think the war was a resounding success. The only success of the war as I see it, was the enhancement of the reputation of the US military, who had proved themselves to be better than most thought they were. The British did underestimate the Americans, but they did beat them.

So far as the British were concerned the war was about keeping the Americans out of the territories they had tried to invade. The invasion was repelled. The war, for the British, was a success.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6612|Southeastern USA
yes they also teach us about the various losses as well, keep in mind that few people hate america as much as the american liberals, who have an iron grip on the american educational system, however they do not ignore the fact that another purpose of the war was to end disputes over the borders, sure if we can grab a few extra acres why not, we didn't, but then it also put an end to the constant raiding that the norther borders had been experiencing even before the Revolutionary War had ended.

Can't wait for that revised battle history to get posted
Flaming_Maniac

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

From the same site.

Very true.

I can see why a lot of Americans who don't know the facts behind it seem to think the war was a resounding success. The only success of the war as I see it, was the enhancement of the reputation of the US military, who had proved themselves to be better than most thought they were. The British did underestimate the Americans, but they did beat them.

So far as the British were concerned the war was about keeping the Americans out of the territories they had tried to invade. The invasion was repelled. The war, for the British, was a success.
Yeah that's pretty much right, it was a victory for the U.S. because they proved they could be an annoying fly to what was then still a major world power, and Britain succeeded because the swatted the fly to make it go away. As I quoted in the summary from that site, it ended in a stalemate, both sides getting what they really wanted.
redhawk454
+50|6610|Divided States of America

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Nope, Brits asked for the treaty.

Pearl Harbour was bombed, the mainland of the US of A wasn't invaded by Japan at any stage in the war. I do believe Canada asked for independence, just as Australia did.
Yeah, the Brits asked for the treaty, proving my point. If they were not losing and/or wanted their resources directed elsewhere, why would they have asked for a treaty? The U.S. never asked for a treaty, and was ready and willing to keep fighting.

What do you term as an invasion? Japan violated U.S. airspace without permission, I'd say that's invading.
That's not invading.
To invade you need to conquer, that's just attacking.

The Americans technically lost the war of 1812, they started it and didn't achieve any of their original goals. Their invasion was repelled by the British - I don't see what's hard to understand here. The British were involved in more important wars and didn't really care about the US, so they pulled out and got on with more important matters as soon as the American invasion was thwarted, but before they left they marched on DC and burnt it to the ground in retaliation.

Wikipedia wrote:

The War of 1812 (in Britain, the American War of 1812 to 1815), was fought between the United States and the British Empire from 1812 to 1815, on land in North America and at sea. The United States, which declared war and attacked British colonies and shipping first, ended the war without gaining any territory, its invasion of British North America having been defeated by British, Canadian and aboriginal forces; however, the British ceased the sovereignty violations, to which the United States had objected, two days prior to the start of the war.
I don't get why Americans brag about the war of 1812, they lost - it seems like a stupid thing to do.
This guy contradicts himself. Above he says "to invade you need to conquer",  then says Americas invasion was repelled?
jonsimon
+224|6557

redhawk454 wrote:

This guy contradicts himself. Above he says "to invade you need to conquer",  then says Americas invasion was repelled?
He isn't contradicting himself. What he meant is that an airplane flying over land is not invading. Where as a soldier marching over land is. The plane can't stop wherever he wants and set up a basecamp, the soldier can.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6644|SE London

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

From the same site.

Very true.

Yeah that's pretty much right, it was a victory for the U.S. because they proved they could be an annoying fly to what was then still a major world power, and Britain succeeded because the swatted the fly to make it go away. As I quoted in the summary from that site, it ended in a stalemate, both sides getting what they really wanted.
Although the Americans did not achieve any of their original goals (the only goal remaining even when the war began was to gain territory in the North, the war probably wouldn't have happened if the US President had known of the British Foreign Ministers announcement on the 16th of June). Whereas the English did achieve all their original goals, which were not to invade America, but to defend Canada.

The American successes from the war were incidental - which does not make them any less real. But they cannot be counted as achievement of goals.

Those basically are my reasons for saying the British won the war (I'm not saying the Americans didn't do well), because they achieved their primary objectives and the Americans did not.
redhawk454

James-m wrote:

plastic_budgie wrote:

England owns seen the size of us we conquered nearly half the world and even America for one stage . but remember england is only a tiny island and to be able to have done this is a massive achievement
very well said lol
That was also the excuse people give as to why they were defeated. "We had too much stuff going on"
redhawk454

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

The embargoes were lifted before the war was declared, it's just that the US president hadn't heard about it by that time.

The trading vessels that you are refering to were 'stolen' under these embargoes, since they were lifted before the war began they cannot really be counted amongst the achievements of the war, can they?
Would you trust a country that had been kidnapping your citizens and putting them in their armed services when they said they'd stop?
They did stop. Trust was not even an issue as the Americans hadn't even heard of the cessation, the embargoes had been officially ended, they were over.

Towards the end of the war, at which point you seem to think the British were losing, the British had just triumphed over Napoleon (a dangerous adversary, not like the US) and sent reinforcements to the Navy, who then won every engagement they were involved in. More troops had been freed up to go and fight the US, but they couldn't be bothered. So they burnt down your capital and went home. I've never heard anything about the Americans marching on London.

You lost - face it.
Ok, you got us. Our government is yours. Come and get it. Reeeealy come and get IT. lmfao
redhawk454

Vilham wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flecco wrote:

The key word is "nearly".  Hitler NEARLY bombed the bloody hell out of London didnt he?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6644|SE London

jonsimon wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

He isn't contradicting himself. What he meant is that an airplane flying over land is not invading. Where as a soldier marching over land is. The plane can't stop wherever he wants and set up a basecamp, the soldier can.
That's exactly what I meant, thank you.

(Definition of invasion from dictionary.com "The act of invading, especially the entrance of an armed force into a territory to conquer."

Invading :
in·vade   Audio pronunciation of "invading" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (n-vd)
v. in·vad·ed, in·vad·ing, in·vades
v. tr.

1. To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage.
   2. To encroach or intrude on; violate: “The principal of the trusts could not be invaded without trustee approval” (Barbara Goldsmith).
   3. To overrun as if by invading; infest: “About 1917 the shipworm invaded the harbor of San Francisco” (Rachel Carson).
   4. To enter and permeate, especially harmfully.)

A Japanese sub attack does not constitute an invasion - which is what I was pointing out with that first statement.

Indeed I did say that America's invasion was repelled, because it was. It was not a successfull invasion, but it was an invasion, a large armed force taking land that belongs to someone else - thats what it was and that's what an invasion is.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6536|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

plastic_budgie wrote:

England owns seen the size of us we conquered nearly half the world and even America for one stage . but remember england is only a tiny island and to be able to have done this is a massive achievement
couldnt have put it better myself!
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
you're applying bf2 "win/lose" black & white logic to warfare, there are many possible outcomes to entire wars and individual battles, each acheived goals they set out for, not all of them, as the US did not gain territory, and the treaty of Ghent put the US on the fast track to becoming a world power, which was less than desirable for......king george was it?, that status being all but written in stone with the louisiana purchase
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
side note: I'm not sure about today but at least until the 90's I believe, Parliament still sent a bill to the US for the cost of the Rev war

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard