Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
dogpile1487
Member
+4|5638
if you watch the news for 5 minutes you will probably see something about the conflict between Israel and Lebanon.  Whether that Israeli attacks are a good idea or not is not the issue i am trying to bring up.  what i'm trying to point out is that why is it the job of the US to step in and try to initiate a cease fire between the two countries?  shouldn't that be the job of the UN?  granted that nobody listens to the UN but still that's not the point.  no one sent a representative to try to initiate a cease fire between the US and Iraq.  It just seems that the US has been stepping over its boundaries and mingling in the business of other countries and this may be part of the reason that not too many people think highly of the US.  They may be one of the strongest nations in the world but they can't do anything they want.  i just want to bring this up for debate.  i am a US citizen and a registered republican but i still don't agree with everything that the US goverment is doing and i feel that is the right of the people to question what it's government is doing.  so let me know what you think about this subject.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|5845|California

False sense of dominance
[email protected]
Member
+32|5838|Wherever the F**k i feel like
Let see when ur the worlds only superpower and everyone blames u for EVERYTHING then u kinda have to force urself into conflicts
sonneillon
Member
+4|5757|where the fuck am i?
It's called imperialism baby!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5841

[email protected] wrote:

Let see when ur the worlds only superpower and everyone blames u for EVERYTHING then u kinda have to force urself into conflicts
word. do you really think Israel would listen to the UN?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
[email protected]
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|5674|Southeastern USA
I don't recall the US ever being involved in any conflict it wasn't asked to (kuwait/saudi arabia) or challenged to (japan)

Last edited by [email protected] (2006-08-02 20:55:08)

Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|5655|Sydney, in 1978
erm the vietnam war????
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|5703|Florida
why does the US inforce inself into almost every situation?

1. Its spelled enforce, with an E
2. see below

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

word. do you really think Israel would listen to the UN?
[email protected]
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|5674|Southeastern USA

Mongoose wrote:

erm the vietnam war????
france, free vietnam

Last edited by [email protected] (2006-08-02 20:56:53)

Cobra4545
Jizz in my pants
+54|5604|Vancouver, USA
I think it is because we think we can bring peace to the world.  All these little conflicts have been going on for years now, and the U.S. believes we can stop them.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|5703|Florida

Cobra4545 wrote:

I think it is because we think we can bring peace to the world.  All these little conflicts have been going on for years now, and the U.S. believes we can stop them.
word
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|5819|San Francisco
Little conflicts?  Vietnam, Iran Contra scandal, all of the behind-the-scenes power politics Reagan played with Central and Southern America...hardly conflicts I'd call "little."

America believes it can bring peace to the world, and whether it can or not is quite debatable.  When you consider a 200 year old country attempting to force its own Imperial manifest destiny all over the world with complete disregard to the consequences of such actions, it tends to cause a lot more problems than not.

Even though we are a superpower, we are NOT the world police.  Claiming to be so is hegemonic and inherently goes against our so-called ideals of "democracy."
[email protected]
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|5674|Southeastern USA
https://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5007/photo28hiresph6.jpg
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|5703|Florida
LMAO, fuckin a man.......thats awesome kracker
ATG
Banned
+5,233|5654|Global Command
The idea sometimes is that if other people weren't being oppressed, we wouldn't.
Some jobs are just too horrible and involve too much slaughter, like when we bailed in Somalia.
We went there because it was the right thing to do, not because of oil. We left because the cost in blood to those people would have been too great to make a change.
     Still going there was the right thing to do. Just like Iraq.
[email protected]
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|5674|Southeastern USA
a basic principle behind the declaration of independence:
In CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security

while in this context it refers directly to seperating from colonial oppression, it has somehow been passed down through countless generations and spread through the families of innumerable immigrants, and basically means that, as Nic Cage said in Nat Treasure "If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action". To stand by and not do something while countless lives are taken or oppressed is just as bad as doing it yourself, each situation is handled differently, all begin with diplomacy.

edit: used the wrong part of the Declaration

Last edited by [email protected] (2006-08-02 21:39:58)

TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|5797|Colorado
It's because we almost lost the war to the Germans by being isolationists, we cannot let another one like him{Hitler} rise to power. That has been the driving force in American intervention, we intend to stop any such threats. The way we go about it isn't always the best way though. If Americans actually got involved in their government you would see the nation as a whole but alas they only see half of it, as the other half is too lazy to do anything about anything other than filling their face with the next stuff crust pizza.
Our system doesn't work if everyone doesn't participate, it leaves unmended holes that only get bigger, everyone wants to yell about the hole but no one wants to repair it.
[email protected]
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|5674|Southeastern USA

TrollmeaT wrote:

But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security
Our system doesn't work if everyone doesn't participate, it leaves unmended holes that only get bigger, everyone wants to yell about the hole but no one wants to repair it.
To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
Ronald Reagan

I swear, no more quotes
horny_trojan
Member
+39|5836|Los FUCKING Angeles
because if we didn't do anything the world would cry " oh noes, US isnt doing anthing!  The bastards hate sunshine and puppies! They can try to stop it but why wont they!"  Because the US is the world's sole superpower (china isn't there, yet), the rest of the world will always pay attention to its stance on pretty much every thing.  Its a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|5654|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia

[email protected] wrote:

I don't recall the US ever being involved in any conflict it wasn't asked to (kuwait/saudi arabia) or challenged to (japan)
Iraq? Iran? Afghanistan? Vietnam? Mexico? Guatemala? Grenada? Cuba? Nicaragua? Chile? Venezuela?

A couple of those you've actually created the conflict!

For the last 60 years America has got itself involved in soooo many places that it hasn't been challenged to or asked by that country's government.
CameronPoe
Member
+2,925|5680

[email protected] wrote:

I don't recall the US ever being involved in any conflict it wasn't asked to (kuwait/saudi arabia) or challenged to (japan)
Vietnam, Iraq II, Grenada, Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, El Salvador, Guatemala, Cuba (Bay of Pigs) - to name a few....
CameronPoe
Member
+2,925|5680
The advent of the nuclear bomb, absolute military superiority and actions such as trade embargos generally no longer make it necessary to go dabbling in the politics and affairs of other countries. The primary reason USA does dabble is economic imperialism. I mean why choose to 'liberate' Iraq and not Sudan or Zimbabwe? Oh that's right - Sudan and Zimbabwe have nothing of value to the US. The US vehemently pursued the right to attack Iraq but when it comes to the plight of say, the Burmese, then it's a case of 'what's in it for us?'.

PS The reason USA is so pivotal in the Lebanon conflict is because Israel and USA are practically one and the same.

PPS I give Tony Blair one month in office after his latest exploits in USA. The UK press are crucifying him and rightly so - his cabinet and party are in open revolt. He is for the chop VERY SOON. He's like a dictator - he doesn't give a shit what his party or the people of the UK think - he is just doing everything he is told by Bush. And swanning around with celebrities in Hollywood whoring his CV for post-PM director positions has made him look completely shallow and insidious.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-08-03 02:48:08)

PekkaA
Member
+36|5789|Finland

Alexanderthegrape wrote:

The idea sometimes is that if other people weren't being oppressed, we wouldn't.
Some jobs are just too horrible and involve too much slaughter, like when we bailed in Somalia.
We went there because it was the right thing to do, not because of oil. We left because the cost in blood to those people would have been too great to make a change.
     Still going there was the right thing to do. Just like Iraq.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry.... Isn't there too much slaughter in Iraq? But of course knowing how much oil there is helps to kill the pain.
PekkaA
Member
+36|5789|Finland

[email protected] wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security
Our system doesn't work if everyone doesn't participate, it leaves unmended holes that only get bigger, everyone wants to yell about the hole but no one wants to repair it.
To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
Ronald Reagan

I swear, no more quotes
Maybe something from Arnold Schwarzenegger, Joseph McCarthy or some other great philosopher?

Last edited by PekkaA (2006-08-03 02:25:25)

KuSTaV
noice
+947|5636|Gold Coast
I was thinking this to myself the other day. Lets see...

WWI
WWII
KOREA
VIETNAM
Cuba - I think that was the only smart move the US did
Serbia..
South American drug supplying to other countries
Iraq
Iraq II
Israel-Lebanon.

That, from whats on top of my head i can remember.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard