Poll

Rate AF bombers compared to vanilla ones...

They're so much better!13%13% - 18
They're not better, they fucking suck when compared!45%45% - 61
They're alright/about the same.17%17% - 24
I dont have AF so wouldn't know23%23% - 32
Total: 135
eagles1106
+269|6589|Marlton, New Jersey.
Guys, whenever I play Armored Fury and fly the bombers it sickens me.  The make a booster pack thats all about armor and ATTACK jets for taking armor out easily yet, lets say I go play Kubra Dam in the F-15 or Su-34, ill fucking own armor 20 times harder then I will in AF.  I think the AF bombers need a real improvement, theres so much more room on those planes.  I don't know about the Q-5 and Frogfoot, but I know for a fact that the A-10 can have 8 hardpoints under the wings for armaments and at least 2 under the fuselage, the least EA and Dice could do was fill up the whole wing, I mean, all you fucking get is four fucking lousy bombs?  I would defineitely fly the F-15 or Su-34 on AF maps if I had the choice because I think the AF attack jets just fucking blow.  Lets see, the A-10 can hold about 16,000 pounds worth of armaments, and the four bombs it can carry would only equal about 2,500 pounds at most....At least add one more fucking weapon to the plane!  The bombers in AF can carry so much more then they have...
Sure, you can tell me that I just suck flying in AF, which your probably right, but IMO they should at least have one more weapon, if not more.  4 Lousy bombs, pfft.
My picks would be:
Add at least TWO guided bombs or 1 to 2 rocket pods....

Or (this ones only in my dreams) 1 or 2 cluster bombs

What do the rest of you think about the Af Jets when compared to the vanilla bombers?

Last edited by eagles1106 (2006-08-02 15:48:30)

mUnKi_UnKel
+7|6705|State of Confusion
Hard for me to say if they are better or worse bombers since I did not fly much at all on vanilla, but I will say that I liked learning how to fly on AF.  My reason is because it has simpler controls so I could concentrate on learning the mechanics much better.  No afterburner and no air to air missles so no switching between them and bombs.  The AF planes forced me to plan my attack and escape routes well because there are no afterburners too so I am hoping that skills learned here will translate well to vanilla planes with more tools.  I could see how coming from those vanilla planes, the AF ones would be difficult since you cannot simply fly away from stingers, IGLA, etc.

If I had to choose between the two though, I'll pick vanilla bombers because they have a co-pilot with laser guided bombs.  That encourages teamwork.

P.S.  Eagles1106, did you vote in the poll?  The only other vote was for "I don't have AF so I don't know."  Seems kind of funny that someone would start this thread but not even have the product.  Would you be using this poll to decide whether or not to purchase AF?  If so, it is worth the $10 bucks.

Last edited by mUnKi_UnKel (2006-08-02 16:01:32)

eagles1106
+269|6589|Marlton, New Jersey.

mUnKi_UnKel wrote:

Hard for me to say if they are better or worse bombers since I did not fly much at all on vanilla, but I will say that I liked learning how to fly on AF.  My reason is because it has simpler controls so I could concentrate on learning the mechanics much better.  No afterburner and no air to air missles so no switching between them and bombs.  The AF planes forced me to plan my attack and escape routes well because there are no afterburners too so I am hoping that skills learned here will translate well to vanilla planes with more tools.  I could see how coming from those vanilla planes, the AF ones would be difficult since you cannot simply fly away from stingers, IGLA, etc.

If I had to choose between the two though, I'll pick vanilla bombers because they have a co-pilot with laser guided bombs.  That encourages teamwork.

P.S.  Eagles1106, did you vote in the poll?  The only other vote was for "I don't have AF so I don't know."  Seems kind of funny that someone would start this thread but not even have the product.  Would you be using this poll to decide whether or not to purchase AF?  If so, it is worth the $10 bucks.
no, i voted on the AF jets suck when compared, it was just sort of a delayed vote...I do own AF
And I see what your saying above, it is kind of harder.  Its harder for me because theyre so fucking slow

Last edited by eagles1106 (2006-08-02 16:05:21)

Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6714|Wilmington, DE, US
I don't think the issue is really number of bombs. I think it's bomb damage. The F-15/Su-34/27 bombs hit HARD, regardless of where you drop them, but the A-10 and all drop the normal jet bombs which really don't do much. Not to mention the AF planes tend to toss them at awkward angles. I like the planes a lot, especially the Frogfoot, but for bombing the vanilla planes are far better.
Crazy-Madness
+8|6489
i think at Road Rage its easy to make kills with  A-10..     but    i need 4 bombs for 1 kill   and sometimes i make 2 ^^    (tank and  AA stand together)   

just fly high   dive down    drop bombs    boom kill    back and reload and do the same  all the time

the Chinese AF bomb-jet is the biggest SH*$$§$%§ IVE ever seen... thats so nightmare
the bombs drop slow as f$%"     and  if you will   get the plane up   i ALWAYS crash into a tree...   

maybe they thought

HRHR HRHR HRR THATS COOL   J-10 GOOD       (chineseAFbomber) BAD HRHR   FAIR RHRHRH THATS COOL

only good is the MG   but  if you shoow something  UNARMOURED  on AF  (^^)   then  there is a lovely tree that makes me crash
Greenspan
Fed. Chairman (Ret.)
+12|6492
Vanillia planes are 10x better. Even the fighters are better, yea they have 2 less bombs but they drop closer together, and it's easier to evade AA and use guns.

I also love how people end up being forced to do Air-to-Air combat with the AF jets, that's a lot of fun.

Last edited by Greenspan (2006-08-02 16:38:25)

Cobra4545
Jizz in my pants
+54|6484|Vancouver, USA
I'm not an expert or anything on flying jets, but it is absolutely impossible to bomb with the warthog or that damn MEC jet.  Plus they are so un-maneuverable, it is like flying a bus with wings.  I was disappointed with EA when they came out with that mod.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6658
I flew in AF for 3 days, and going back to a MiG and being able to zoom around the map doing all my old maneavres at 500ft high is like driving a formula 1 car after being in a London bus.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6678|Houston, Texas
They suck in a way. If you are on a headon approach to a Mobile AA and you are somewhat low altitude, and he's got 4 missles in the chamber... all he needs to do is back up while firing at you and you die everytime. They are fun to fly though. I hate roadrage but I love midnight. Well for US.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6554|Southeastern USA
I didn't even start flying til AF, but have to say the bomb dynamics are better with the AF birds, just wish the guns weren't useless
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6699|Vancouver BC Canada
The AF bombers spread the bombs to the side way too much, fly too slow, can't manuver, have flares that don't work, lack weapon guidance systems, have useless MGs, and generally just suck. I'd rather fly a F35.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6712|67.222.138.85
Speed? AF slower

AA? AF has none

Machine Gun? same

Bombs? Vanilla

Winner? Vanilla
Phrozenbot
+632|6620|do not disturb

They don't come up well from dives (especially steep dives). The bombers in Vanilla have air-to-air missiles, are faster, more mobile, have better guns, and have better payloads. They pack the best bang of any jet, and are still fairly mobile.

It does take a lot of skill to master them though.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6745
Vanilla bombers alot better than the AF ones, but its nice to play on maps with planes and not have them owning game.

So I think the planes AF are fine just how they are, apart for the chinesse one which sucks.

Plus its nice to not have Air-to-Air missiles and get back to using the guns to shoot each other down.
DerGraueWolf
aka Nekrodamus
+52|6737|Germany, near Koblenz
I'm missing the option "fair", so I can't vote.
mUnKi_UnKel
+7|6705|State of Confusion
It is becoming obvious to me that people that think the AF bombers suck earned their wings with the vanilla maps/planes.  Their main complaints are the planes are too slow and do not flares that work.  That is why I thought AF planes are the best trainers since they force you to learn good tactics without too many buttons to learn.  Then go to vanilla and incorporate the afterburners and air-to-air missles intro the mix.  My suggestions to the vanilla flyers is this....

Midnight Sun -  Come in from high up (250+), descend at a sharp attitude, drop ordinance, then fly to the mountains and try to stay near their surface until you can get back up to height.  Fly high to base and swoop down to runway for bombs then back up to height for another run.

Road Rage - Again come in from high up (250+),  descend at a sharp attitude, drop ordinance, then fly VERY LOW to the surface of the water back to base for more bombs.  If you dropped them all the way at the enemy base, it is worth it to climb back up to around 300 - 400 meters since you can increase your velocity from around 700 to 900.

On either map, since you do not have afterburners, you cannot just drop the flares and be protected.  When you are locked, you need to already be flying towards your safe zones (map borders).  Drop the flares while in a sharp turn.  This will cast them out in an arc ant this seems to break the missle lock.

Hope this helps out the vanilla guys since it is hard to go from something you have mastered to suddenly sucking again.  That is what I like about this game though.  Once one area is mastered, there is another waiting to be learned.  It has kept me playing for over a year now!

mUnKi
Doggehspike
~Ð~
+41|6498
I prefer flying on AF, the a-10 is amazing and it's so easy to take people out, even tanks and AA.
And like munki said you need to be up high so no AA can lock on then noise dive down and attack or your just going to die.

Also a person said the guns are crap, I really don't think they are.... I hardly use them but when I have they get the job done.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6727|Eastern PA
Honestly I find it easier to bomb in Vanilla with the fighter jets (J-10, MiG-29, F-18), even with only 2 bombs. I think the ability to attack at a steeper angle with the vanilla fighters allows you to place your two bombs within a smaller target area and thus make those two bombs count for more...or maybe I just suck with the A-10...but bombing just feels better in vanilla BF2.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum
i hate how the cannons on the new jets were built up to be awesome and so on, and all they appear to be are the same as the cannons on vanilla, with a different sound. ive seen videos on the A10 in action, and those cannons deserve to be 10x better.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6525
I like that they aren't overpowered.

fatherted13 wrote:

ive seen videos on the A10 in action, and those cannons deserve to be 10x better.
If they had put in the real A-10 cannons, no one would stand a chance. They had to be reduced, but maybe not as much as they were.
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6678|Houston, Texas
I wish the A-10 did more splash damage on midnight. You get those tanks that hide under the pipelines or an AA by a tree, and the tree's/pipes blow up the bombs. I mean come on now you laced the area but he's still got time to jump out and it was a direct impact? bah
Aquastorm
Last of the Uchiha
+4|6717|Hong Kong, China
...The reason behind is that like the pre patched AA missiles, they were brought from Ikea, which resulted in more duds than buying bombs from...like..Wal-mart.
Bozaloshtsh
Не пытай
+39|6512|51:33:24N 01:47:03W
Those cannons are not that soft - I usually play AA in AF, and if the jets shot the guns at me as they approach, its does quite a bit of damage - I agree that they're not as powerful as the real thing, but too few people use the cannons.
Brasso
+1,549|6635

Where's the option for a little bit better?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
blacksheepcannibal
+24|6757
The A-10 can carry a variety of air to ground munitions, including AGM-65 Maverick TV or IR guided anti-tank missles, 500lbs Mk82 bombs (including their laser guided variants), 2000lbs Mk84 bombs (including their laser and GPS guided variants), rocket pods, and Mk20 Cluster bombs. The 30mm cannon is capable of killing a tank in less than 10 rounds; its normal firing rate is in excess of 4000 rounds per minute. 13 Hardpoints.

The Su-25 can carry a variety of air to ground munitions, including laser guided missles and bombs, TV guided missles and bombs, rocket pods, laser guided rockets, cluster bombs, submunition dispensers, Anti-radiation missiles, and iron bombs. 10 Hardpoints.

What does DICE arm the attack craft with? 4 dumb bombs. That leaves 6! slots open on the Su and 9! slots open on the A-10. They dont even have an alternate fire!!

Last edited by blacksheepcannibal (2006-08-18 21:00:04)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard