UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655
Here's a crazy idea... grade drugs according to the harm they cause to individuals and society:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5230006.stm

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41949000/gif/_41949092_drugs_graph_416.gif

I think as long as alcohol remains legal, everything below it should be legal but supply should be regulated (but not illegal).  I also think everything above it should legal to use, but illegal to supply unless by prescription to those awaiting treatment for addiction to said substance, where no alternative (e.g. methadone) is available. I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions.

So what do you think of the system proposed for the UK: Is it a sensible and balanced proposal or do you think it would it cause more harm than good?
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6553|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Cannabis more dangerous than ecstasy? Bollocks, no one has ever died directly from smoking a spliff, plenty have from taking an 'E'.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Cannabis more dangerous than ecstasy? Bollocks, no one has ever died directly from smoking a spliff, plenty have from taking an 'E'.
No-one has 'directly' died from smoking a cigarette either...

And actually, no-one has died 'directly' from E, it's always been dehydration or water on the brain from excessive drinking as far as I know... please correct me if you can.
alpinestar
+304|6598|New York City baby.
Cannabis is not a drug and every sane person can agree on this, shouldn't be even on that list or replaced by alcohol.  There was one person that died from cannabis but it was because they choked on their vomit. But there is more good to cannabis than bad, alcohol industry would have a serious competition if it was legalized.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky

alpinestar wrote:

Cannabis is not a drug and every sane person can agree on this, shouldn't be even on that list or replaced by alcohol.  There was one person that died from cannabis but it was because they choked on their vomit. But there is more good to cannabis than bad, alcohol industry would have a serious competition if it was legalized.
if i remember correctly Chemicals which affect the central nervous system, resulting in the changing of behavior and/or internal sensory experience is considered a drug.

The chemical in cannabis known as Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC causes this effect.

Cannabis is a Drug you jackass.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
And, by that definition, so is chocolate.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

alpinestar wrote:

Alcohol is on the list already, and was actually found to be more harmful.  Cannabis addiction does have a downside, and many studies seem to indicated that it can induce mental illness in some people.  Not to mention that that studies on the risks of lung cancer and other ailments have not yet drawn conclusive findings (that I'm aware of).  I'd actually agree with it's positioning near the middle of the list, which anyone who knows me might find as a suprise, given how much I used to smoke. 

I'd have to say that cannabis is most definately a drug, and it suffers from many of the same ups and downs as any drug, minus perhaps overdosing of which there are no definite cases.  I still wonder if the concentrated 1000x strength synthetic THC type substance I heard about could cause fatal overdose.  It wouldn't suprise me.

edit:  and chocolate probably could be counted as a drug, if it was on the list I'd put it right at the bottom though....

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-07-31 15:05:22)

ts-pulsar
+54|6505
Chocolate is considered to be a drug by many doctors, though I don't know any doctors that consider it to be a bad drug.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

ts-pulsar wrote:

Chocolate is considered to be a drug by many doctors, though I don't know any doctors that consider it to be a bad drug.
Some people with DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) after their name might disagree though
Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
Some of the rankings in that graph do seem a little out - Ecstacy should either be higher, or it should be renamed 'MDMA' - street E is rarely just MDMA, if MDMA at all. Cannabis does seem a little high. And Ketamine.

Edit: yeah, chocolate would way down at the bottom, but my point was that 'drug' very inclusive term - chocolate, coffee, tea, sugar - all drugs.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-07-31 15:14:22)

UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Some of the rankings in that graph do seem a little out - Ecstacy should either be higher, or it should be renamed 'MDMA' - street E is rarely just MDMA, if MDMA at all. Cannabis does seem a little high. And Ketamine.
I'd agree that it should be called MDMA on the graph rather than ecstasy.  And pure raw pure crystalline MDMA is fairly common available these days.   It looks like the speckles in a speckled dove, brown and very smelly.  Pills are not pure by definition because they would be tiny in size and the substance wouldn't really stick if you compress it, therefore you never know what you get when buy pills, but there are testing kits which tell you if they contain commonly used additives.    And since most of the commonly used additives are on the list then I reckon a fair way to calculate the risk would be adding together the factors on the left of the list for each of the components.  I reckon the relative placement of any drug combination could be worked out that way.

edit: on that basis I've probably reached a 10 or so in my less responsible days.

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-07-31 15:21:21)

gbr.hitman
Fair Play!
+21|6603|Warwickshire, England
Ectacy shouldn't be that high because its a 'happy' pill which causes hardly any problems to society.

As UnOriginalNuttah pointed out, no one has ever died from estacy, only from drinking too much or too little water.
alpinestar
+304|6598|New York City baby.

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

alpinestar wrote:

Alcohol is on the list already, and was actually found to be more harmful.  Cannabis addiction does have a downside, and many studies seem to indicated that it can induce mental illness in some people.  Not to mention that that studies on the risks of lung cancer and other ailments have not yet drawn conclusive findings (that I'm aware of).  I'd actually agree with it's positioning near the middle of the list, which anyone who knows me might find as a suprise, given how much I used to smoke. 

I'd have to say that cannabis is most definately a drug, and it suffers from many of the same ups and downs as any drug, minus perhaps overdosing of which there are no definite cases.  I still wonder if the concentrated 1000x strength synthetic THC type substance I heard about could cause fatal overdose.  It wouldn't suprise me.

edit:  and chocolate probably could be counted as a drug, if it was on the list I'd put it right at the bottom though....
Didin't see the alcohol there, but coming back to cannabis beeing a non harmful yet opposite drug.

Increases Brain cell growth
Reduced Tumor growth (cancer studies)
Is useful in annorexic patients and those suffering from aids
Most powerful natural muscle relaxing medicine known to man to this date.
Helps chemotherapy patients with better recovery
Anti-viral properties
Anti depression medicine ?
I could go on with this list till the end of this forum because scientist studying THC delta-9 are coming up with new results every other week... One that cought my attention the most was the usage of cannabis oils as fuels.
Sure there are pros and cons, and if I was to list cons from my previous usage in teenage years I would say
Red eyes for few hours
Minor cough when inhaling
Lots of money spent on food
temporary memory loss is as temporary as one day.....

Last edited by alpinestar (2006-07-31 15:26:30)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

I reckon a fair way to calculate the risk would be adding together the factors on the left of the list for each of the components.  I reckon the relative placement of any drug combination could be worked out that way.
Only as a very rough guide - some drugs have very bad effects in combination - Alcohol and Ketamine is a near lethal combination for most people.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-07-31 15:24:17)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6703

alpinestar wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

alpinestar wrote:

Didin't see the alcohol there, but coming back to cannabis beeing a non harmful yet opposite drug.

Increases Brain cell growth
Reduced Tumor growth (cancer studies)
Is useful in annorexic patients and those suffering from aids
Only painkiller without long term mental side effects & non toxic
Helps chemotherapy patients with better recovery
Anti-viral properties
Anti depression medicine ?
I could go on with this list till the end of this forum because scientist studying THC delta-9 are coming up with new results every other week... One that cought my attention the most was the usage of cannabis oils as fuels.
Sure there are pros and cons, and if I was to list cons from my previous usage in teenage years I would say
Red eyes for few hours
Minor cough when inhaling
Lots of money spent on food
temporary memory loss is as temporary as one day.....
I would argue with the anti - depression properties. A good friend of mine is a career private practice psychologist, and when I asked him about the subject he told me if anything it probably exacerbates the problem. I imagine he was relying on his personal experience though; if you have a study I'd be interested in looking at it.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6655

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Only as a very rough guide - some drugs have very bad effects in combination - Alcohol and Ketamine is a near lethal combination for most people.
Not in my experience, it's actually quite an agreeable one.  But it all depends on tolerances, some people get k-holed on a single line, other people can put away 5 grams in a night without even blinking or snotting everywhere.  Remember that alcohol by itself can kill, but ketamine is used to knock out car crash and 3rd degree burn victims.  I think that the memory loss with ketamine, coupled with the disassociation from the senses may lead people to drink much more than they realise, in a similar way that cocaine can override the sensation of being drunk and allow people to put away bottle after bottle of vodka.  But anyway, we are all just nitpicking about the placement of specific drugs/drug combinations, so it's time to rerail this thread:

What do you think about the concept of grading drugs by harm as assessed by scientific method, rather than by throwbacks from a past age and popular conceptions?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

What do you think about the concept of grading drugs by harm as assessed by scientific method, rather than by throwbacks from a past age and popular conceptions?
I reckon they should be classified by putting all the names of all the drugs on little bits off paper and drawing them out of a hat - the order they come out defines where in the classification list they should go.

(BTW: Note I'm english!)

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-07-31 15:47:42)

jonsimon
+224|6497
Marijuanna shouldn't even be on there. Its physically impossible to OD on. Only damage it does is addiction and distraction.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6562|Canaduhhh.. West Toast

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

No-one has 'directly' died from smoking a cigarette either...

And actually, no-one has died 'directly' from E, it's always been dehydration or water on the brain from excessive drinking as far as I know... please correct me if you can.
no offence but thats an absolutely ridiculous comment you can say the same with any drug... it wasnt alcohol that killed him it was liver failure or it wasnt a cocaine o.d. it was his heart exploding... bottom line is those ppl died from E...

http://www.lycaeum.org/   <--------- best drug reference site
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6709|67.222.138.85
The fact that cannabis causes addiction means it's bad right there. Show me one example of a good addiction to prove me wrong.
JohnnyBlanco
+44|6573|England
Because of the kiddies all of the drugs should stay illegal except for weed, which is harmless. The only downside to weed is smoking tobacco but some people bong it so thats not always a downside. I'm almost 100% sure that alcohol is the uks biggest killer btw, but like all drugs its the idiots who go ott that are the statistics.
BVC
+325|6698
Lets not forget that you don't have to smoke weed to use it, you can make it into some damn fine food & drink!  Lung cancer as a reason for keeping weed illegal is a bit overstated.

Last edited by Pubic (2006-07-31 16:36:30)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6703

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The fact that cannabis causes addiction means it's bad right there. Show me one example of a good addiction to prove me wrong.
You can get addicted to practically any substance. You can get addicted to caffeine for christs sake, addictive properties do not necessarily make a substance bad.
kuntpunch_37
Banned
+7|6496|Little Rock, Arkansas bitches

gbr.hitman wrote:

Ectacy shouldn't be that high because its a 'happy' pill which causes hardly any problems to society.

As UnOriginalNuttah pointed out, no one has ever died from estacy, only from drinking too much or too little water.
it also completely fucks up your seratonin levels, possibly for the rest of your life.  i know a guy that did so much E that he made himself epileptic.  he was a retard, though.  he did 120 rolls in about 3 days.  no shit.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6709|67.222.138.85

Skruples wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You can get addicted to practically any substance. You can get addicted to caffeine for christs sake, addictive properties do not necessarily make a substance bad.
Exactly. Addictive substances when used in a non-addictive fashion is fine, but over-use leading to addiction is bad. Coffee, for example, is not bad, but can be very bad for someone who is addicted to it, as is Cannabis. However, I would hazard a guess that there are more Weed addicts than coffee addicts.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard