GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6785

-- Intro: Skip down if you don't have too much time --
I'm sure some of you fellow chopper whores have experienced this at some point or another. The round starts and the mad dash for the vehicles begins. You race as fast as you can to your vehicle of choice, the attack chopper, and can feel the adrenaline pumping, your heart racing, your fingers twitching as you see you're in the lead. You then notice some idiot starts shooting you as he realizes that he will not be able to beat you to the chopper, so you start jumping frantically, hoping that you'll make it to the aircraft before that last bar of health is taken away. Miraculously, you hop into the chopper with .5 of a bar left but someone beat you to the pilot seat so you end up as gunner. No biggie, you can gun just as well as you can pilot, and you might actually even think "Sweet, I'm gonna get to TV some bastards". Just then, your pilot makes his introduction by spamming you with some "Bail out!" and "Get out!" commands. Not a good start. You politelly decline his offer, and begin shooting at random things, tking some teammates on the carrier, team damaging the BH, as the sweet sound of the chopper engine roars through. The adrenaline is still pumping at 100% and you are all giddy about the rape that is about to ensue. Then as you take off, you sense that something is wrong. Your pilot travels in the completelly opposite direction of the PLA transport chopper that could possibly give you 12 points, and you start to taste your fate; In a few seconds, you will be roasted by the fiery out of bounds demons. You are trapped, with no way of getting out, cheaply taken out by a selfish chopper pilot who thinks he's cool cause he can hover in this one special spot.

-- Start reading here if you don't have 5 mins to spare and read my enthralling work of art as I describe the intricacies of the beginning of a round, seen from a chopper pilot's perspective --

-- Start reading here if you don't have 5 seconds to read the sentence above either --

Well I personally despise this, so much in fact that I would never subject any other BF2ian to such fate, no matter how much I wanted to fly alone. I think I hate it most for the feeling of absolutelly no control on how to get back at the retard in the pilots seat, no way of getting back to the carrier, and knowing that once you spawn again you will most likely not be able to get back in to a chopper or retaliate.

So, I finally devised the solution that satisfied me enough so that this course of events no longer takes away from my bf2 experience. I simply place a C4 charge on the side of the canopy, and hop dutifully into my gunner seat. Should my pilot decide that he is gonna try and outtabounds me, I simply warm him in a friendly way that I will blow the chopper to bits if he doesn't go back. Should I start losing health, I simply jump out of the chopper and trigger the C4, ending the douchebags nasty trick, and making him re-evaluate his next move. (Unfortunatelly this means -4 pts for tk, -2 pts for suicide, but it's a price I'm willing to pay to keep this action in check).

I'm pretty sure nothing ruins the players day more than realizing that his little trick will not work with you, and that he simply has no option but to either fly with you, or not fly at all.

Update: Since this thread got very long, and most people don't read it all to get a feel for the argument, I'd like to sum up the general thoughts expressed here. Basically everyone agrees that killing a gunner by hovering him out of bounds is unnacceptable and that my solution is a decent one for the magnitude of the crime. At the same time, these same people that like to kill out of bounds, defend their actions by saying that the skill level of the general BF2 population is nil, and so they prefer to take the chopper by themselves because they are much better gunner/pilot than everyone and they don't want to find out if someone else is skilled. Their claim is that them going solo helps the team more than them having a gunner. I say that's a load of crap and they are just selfish bastards.

On the flip side, us non-solo pilots argue that there is no way that a soloist could possibly be better than even a decently skilled duo of gunner/pilot. They say that we are all just unskilled and full of BS and that we can't speak english because we don't understand them. Who is right here?? No one will ever know, but we can all agree that out of bounds killing is gay (as well as solo piloting when there are would-be gunners around, well at least I can agree to that one).

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-07-25 19:12:34)

Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6661|Montreal, Qc, Canada
loolll 2 long to read... but yea i agree
it is 00:39 just to late to read all that !!!!!!
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6815|Jupiter
Or untill you get banned/kicked out of the server? Or you could just join the EU server, they like to kick people for solo-ing in choppers
Donald O' Brien
+104|6726
Sounds like a plan to me, except it'd be nigh impossible to pull that off in the mad rush you described.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6704|Disaster Free Zone
maybe it should be coded that everyone in the chopper loses health if any part if the chopper is out out bounds... or maybe just the pilot should lose health as they are in control of the vehicle and its not the gunners/passengers fault. To stop solo pilots switching to gunner to stop taking dmg they should take dmg if only one persons on the chopper... In fact maybe you should only be able to switch positions if the thing is on the ground.
BrOk_MoRdU
Psychotic Sniper Inc.
+76|6574|The Land of Claywhore

DrunkFace wrote:

maybe it should be coded that everyone in the chopper loses health if any part if the chopper is out out bounds... or maybe just the pilot should lose health as they are in control of the vehicle and its not the gunners/passengers fault. To stop solo pilots switching to gunner to stop taking dmg they should take dmg if only one persons on the chopper... In fact maybe you should only be able to switch positions if the thing is on the ground.
EA/Dice also needs to fix solo choppering by making the tv missile unusable unless their is someone in the pilot seat.

Last edited by BrOk_MoRdU (2006-07-24 21:51:26)

VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6728|Antarctica

BrOk_MoRdU wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

EA/Dice also needs to fix solo choppering by making the tv missile unusable unless their is someone in the pilot seat.
Why?
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6785

(EUS)Gen.BadSnipaDay wrote:

Or untill you get banned/kicked out of the server? Or you could just join the EU server, they like to kick people for solo-ing in choppers
Well it's 3 punishes to get an auto one round ban, so that gives you enough time to get the pilot to get frustrated and accept his fate if you're lucky. One round ban is worth it for me if it keeps pilots from doing something as cheap as that. If there are admins on, you can explain the situation, it's worked when it's happened to me.

BrOk_MoRdU wrote:

That is my favorite soultion so far, and I don't think it would be too hard for DICE to code. However, every once in a while, I fly alone cause I have no gunner and being able to shoot tv at an incoming chopper has its advantages.

Donald O' Brien wrote:

Sounds like a plan to me, except it'd be nigh impossible to pull that off in the mad rush you described.
Oh yea, I forgot about that. All you do in this situation is hop out once everyone moves away from the chopper and place your C4. If there's some idiot hopping onto the chopper, and trying to get in, well I guess you're still doomed there, but you know what to do next time.

I like to think of this as insurance :-).

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-07-24 22:12:59)

PRiMACORD
+190|6647|Home of the Escalade Herds

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

BrOk_MoRdU wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Why?
To be a good Jet pilot you have to know how to fly well.

To be a good Tank drive you have to know how to drive the tank well.

To be a good Heli pilot all you have to do is know how to use a TV missile, flying is secondary. That is the problem imo.
BrOk_MoRdU
Psychotic Sniper Inc.
+76|6574|The Land of Claywhore

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

BrOk_MoRdU wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Why?
Solo choppering is a cheap selfish way of playing.I'm not an experienced pilot but I'm a pretty good gunner.Most of my helo kills are from the gunner seat.The attack helo's are for two(2)people.You douches are sacrificing teamwork,which is what this game is all about,for your own whorish pleasure.So before you start t/king for your precious chopper,at least give your teammates a chance to prove their worth.

It's also an exploit in a way 'cause most times you can't hear the armor buzzers going off from solo helo missiles.Meaning your gaining an unfair advantage over other players that spent just as much money too play this game as you did.

Last edited by BrOk_MoRdU (2006-07-24 22:25:49)

xWSxCriminalx
+40|6559
Why take a bad gunner when i can do so much better on my own...???

Why take a bad gunner and have the team suffer more...than if i was solo....hmmmm
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6718|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia

xWSxCriminalx wrote:

Why take a bad gunner and have the team suffer more...than if i was solo....hmmmm
the man speaks the truth, i have done this before, to nubs who i dispise and know that bag us, we are like the australian TOP, we get shit from anyone and everyone
Entertayner
+826|6593

DrunkFace wrote:

What if there's like 10 ppl in the server? 2ish tanks, 2 jets... couple of inf, you've got no gunner and now you're only armed with missiles
Not
Great success!
+216|6599|Chandler, AZ

xWSxCriminalx wrote:

Exactly.

The teamwork argument is pretty tough to back up against this. If you're not as good of a gunner as the guy who wants to solo, you're not helping your team, you're taking away kills with your ineptitude. So, do you consider "Teamwork" the art of winning by playing to all of your strenghts, or is there some third grade definition of teamwork that more fits an attitude of "HEY JERK-FACE! LET ME PLAY WITH THAT TOY TOO OR I'LL TELL!!!!".

Hey, if theres a good gunner in the server, damn right I'll pick him up. But if you fire 5 TV missiles at a chopper in the middle of your view, flying straight away from you and fail miserably to come even close...yeah, I'll ask you to jump out and do it myself. The trouble is, since that gunner sucked, their helo just killed 10 people. If I could have nailed it on the first try, that wouldn't have happened. I save tickets, I help my teammates continue their goals, and there's 1 more person on the ground to help cap flags like someone who cared about teamwork would want.

As a matter of fact, a good solo chopper pilot is a fantastic team player. They free up an extra unit to ground pound while taking care of hostile choppers and armor.

Truly, the "Teamwork" argument really only comes from people stuck at age 8 who get bent out of shape because other people aren't letting them have fun with their toys. Am I wrong? Argue with me.
[BBF*EF]Stuka
Junkers Ju 87
+58|6600|Phoenix, AZ

Not wrote:

xWSxCriminalx wrote:

Exactly.

The teamwork argument is pretty tough to back up against this. If you're not as good of a gunner as the guy who wants to solo, you're not helping your team, you're taking away kills with your ineptitude. So, do you consider "Teamwork" the art of winning by playing to all of your strenghts, or is there some third grade definition of teamwork that more fits an attitude of "HEY JERK-FACE! LET ME PLAY WITH THAT TOY TOO OR I'LL TELL!!!!".

Hey, if theres a good gunner in the server, damn right I'll pick him up. But if you fire 5 TV missiles at a chopper in the middle of your view, flying straight away from you and fail miserably to come even close...yeah, I'll ask you to jump out and do it myself. The trouble is, since that gunner sucked, their helo just killed 10 people. If I could have nailed it on the first try, that wouldn't have happened. I save tickets, I help my teammates continue their goals, and there's 1 more person on the ground to help cap flags like someone who cared about teamwork would want.

As a matter of fact, a good solo chopper pilot is a fantastic team player. They free up an extra unit to ground pound while taking care of hostile choppers and armor.

Truly, the "Teamwork" argument really only comes from people stuck at age 8 who get bent out of shape because other people aren't letting them have fun with their toys. Am I wrong? Argue with me.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. +1
DSRTurtle
+56|6708
You solo chopper whores are selfish.  I'm with the guy who said explain it to the admins.  I know servers that will give you a permanant ban for suiciding a gunner.  If your on large map with a low number of people soloing is different and can give your side an advantage as there are plenty of vehicles for everyone. 

With a small number of people the attack can capture flags.   With 2 people in it if the gunner hops out you can capture it much more quickly.  The pilot should be kind enough to let his gunner hop back in.
MorbidFetus
+76|6573|Ohio
I've never jumped out of a helo that was just above the water's surface. I wonder if one would have enough time before they plopped to hit the detonator. If not, there's the pilot's counter.
shice
+9|6537|every1 h8's Germany

DSRTurtle wrote:

You solo chopper whores are selfish.
Ohhhhh dont cry little baby ohhhh dont cry here's your lollypop ohhhhhh
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6674
I had some guy try to do the gunner suicide out of bounds thing to me a few days ago, saw what he was about to do and parachuted out and started a kickvote. He was gone pretty quickly.

I've gotten pretty decent at solo choppering by switching to the gunner to tv missile stuff. However i'll ONLY do that if there is no one else at the heli-pad when I get in the chopper as the pilot. I'm polite enough to wait for people to get in as a gunner.

I have to agree with other people, people who do the out of bounds tk just to get their precious total control of the heli are dicks that deserve to be banned. Also agree about the out of bounds, it should be the helicopter and not the people inside the helicopter that get out of bounds. That way it'd stop these dick tk'ers.

I'm in two minds about the pilot/gunner switching, stopping it would stop a lot of these out of bounds tk'ers. However, there are times when there is no-one else at the heli-pad to be a gunner and you're the only one there. So you need to switch seats to take out other helis and tanks with the tv missile.

EDIT: I just had a thought;

People could note down pilots who do the out of bounds and keep a list on say this forum. Then, people from this forum could track them down to the servers they play on and C4 the helis they get in, making sure to let them know why they're being C4'ed and if they continue doing it in the future they'll constantly be tk'ed until they stop.
I think there was something along the lines of a hitlist for people or somesuch on this forum a bit ago.
We could do something similar, "hitlist for out of bounds heli tk'ers".

What you lot reckon?

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2006-07-25 05:12:24)

Chao2
+8|6737|UK(stats says usa by mistake)
I have no problem at all with someone solo piloting, it takes skill to do it well. But if they do it in preference to taking a gunner its annoying. Thankfully no ones ever tried the out of bounds thing on me. If they did I'd just spend the rest of the round getting them back for it.
l41e
+677|6671

Why do people think people are "nub" gunners if they've never flown with them before? 1 bad gunner = everyone's a bad gunner except me? WTF? At least give them a goddamn CHANCE. "oh, well, he's a n00b gunner." How do you know? Have you flown with him before? "uhhhh...noo...but im l33t. im teh l33t solopilot. so im bettar than him. lolz yeah."

Why doesn't DICE implement this: going out-of-bounds damages the vehicle, not the occupants. That means, besides the obvious implications for TKing, that no one would have to wait for the helicopter whose occupant died, fell to the ground, and is now just sitting on some random mountain 5 miles out-of-bounds.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6675
What I hate most is trying to solo as USMC on sharqi. I'm normally first in the server but not by such a gap that I can spawn, get the chopper, and take off before some other wanker gets in. Should I get the Cobra for myself by some miracle I'll hover about 100 meters off the TV station, very high up, and wait for the Havok to get spotted, followed by a quick TV-guided missle slamming into its side. Then people start complaining that I'm not doing anything Fine, get raped then.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
evo.mumbles
+8|6512|E. Sussex
Jumping between seats in the chopper breaks the aa-lock, that's why its stupid. If it kept the lock-on it wouldnt matter really.
schakl
+21|6711
For me it is a game ! Primary ! And in a game I want a certain amount of fair play especially if you are on the same side. 
I also had such a player in Kubra, but I jumped out and sent him an AT4 so he started with a little disadvantage. I stayed there waiting for the helo and damaged him as far as I didn't get -points for team damage. He started to become angry and TKed me until being banned.
I also jump in my seat when the gunner doesn't fire, but my mental stability is high enough to overcome that. The solo flyers seems to have no self confidence and if the game doesn't work good maybe other important things also don't work .

What also worked quite good is to fire all TV missiles until you are dead and wait at the repair port for him to do that again next time.

Last edited by schakl (2006-07-25 05:33:50)

Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6717|Howell, Mi USA

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

BrOk_MoRdU wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Why?
Yea y brok? Can't u solo tv so u don't want anyone else doing it either? Thats the ghayest thing ive ever heard. u=fail

anyway on topic, last time i was takin ob and killed i switched teams and then ass raped the guy that did it for the rest of the round. It was satisfying lol
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard