E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6689|UK
I do VTO's all the time.

The other day on a wake server, someone managed to get the plane so it was on its side, stuck on a tree, behind the airfield runway..

I jumped in it, VTO'd that bitch and flew off

I had about 5-6 "LOL good take off"'s appear
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6764

nah, i'm not talking about a normal VTO... this is rocket style; pics aren't shownig.. not for a bit at least. should be up within a week, sorry.
JonskyGBR
+5|6674|England
I'm sure the correct term for the Harrier and F-35B is VSTOL sometimes written V/STOL, as the Harrier was the first aeroplane to have this ability and thus named, I think it should stick really, Vertical/Short Take Off and Landing. (I say VSTOL totally aware the Convair XFY was the first ever VTOL only aeroplane). Writng STOVL to me, indicates that only a short take and vertical landings are possible where in fact the Harrier will lift off vertically.

Both aircraft can lift off vertically with no forward movement whatsoever and maintain a Hovver. I've seen the Harrier do it at airshows (and F-35B test videos), it will fly backward and sideways to a degree obviously for aligning to a landing pad, I'm sure the F-35B will do the same.

The vertical manouvre uses the most fuel so often the Short take-off method will be used, which I assume will also get the aircraft into the air and to horizontal flight quicker. On a Harrier this will involve rotating the nozzles to less than 90deg to the ground depending on the length of the runway available.

For this post however, I don't use any hover mode, just hold pitch up, throttle up, get vertical then afterburner, then with careful throttle control you can hold the hovver while the aircraft is vertical. Not too close to the deck though, seems although nothing is visibly touching the aircraft still takes damage.

Normally in game tho with the F-35 pointing off the side of the carrier a bit of pitch up and full throttle + afterburner is what I use to get airbourne.

You could always try a "Thunderbird 3" type landing and keep the nose up to land using engine to slow down, but I reckon that's gonna be hard.

https://www.ludd.luth.se/~kavli/Thunderbirds/Thunderbird-3.jpg

Last edited by JonskyGBR (2006-02-04 07:07:48)

LOGAN
+0|6779
i too share a passion for the VTO (or however you want to spell it), i do a variation of yours but its not quite the same, mine requires no runway.

short video demonstration: http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/VTO_67961.html - enjoy
EvilJebus
+11|6626
Best Takeoff Ever
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6830|Grapevine, TX
This is also possible VTOL take off from the elevator spawn on the ESSEX. A rolling start is not necessary. Give it a try, too.
R0lyP0ly
+161|6655|USA
Im not sure, but I don't think fuel consumption on Bf2 is a worry. I dont like the fact that the F35 can hover, because I kept getting baseraped by a guy in one that simply hovered over the airfield at Wake, and MG'ed anything moving.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
Nice - just what is with the text at the bottom of every screenshot? It's always the pilot's name. Is this some admin spectate function, or is this a feature of BattleRecorder?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Spark wrote:

Nice - just what is with the text at the bottom of every screenshot? It's always the pilot's name. Is this some admin spectate function, or is this a feature of BattleRecorder?
f10 probly... it changes view, but battlerecorder always does that
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Tempestrix
+3|6682|Gold Coast, Australia

R0lyP0ly wrote:

Im not sure, but I don't think fuel consumption on Bf2 is a worry. I dont like the fact that the F35 can hover, because I kept getting baseraped by a guy in one that simply hovered over the airfield at Wake, and MG'ed anything moving.
Thats why DICE invented the Eryx

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard