Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6828
i would like to purchase a tv tuner card for my laptop, but am mostly clueless about them right now. in addition to doing my own research, i would like your recommendations.

i have windows media center edition on this laptop.

there are three choices of interface. USB 2.0, pcmia, and the new expresscard slot. usb has the advantage of being able to work with both my desktop and laptop. any thoughts on the other two?

i would like the ability to receive HD programming, if possible.

things that i am looking for:

image quality
programming software [interactive tv guide]
good recording quality

things that aren't important:

camcorder compatibility
dvd editing software bundles

anyone with experience in tv tuner cards, please post.
GhenghisRON
+3|6394|Sunny Orlando,Florida U.S.A.#1
Hey K, I too am looking for a card for my PC.  Anyway one thing I found out that you might not know, is that if you have digital cable, a lot of cards are not compatible.

Gonna try to put a link on.

http://ruel.net/pc/tv.tuner.getting.mor … annels.htm

Hope this helps,also would you post what you get or anything else ya learn to help me?

Thanks man.

After reading more stuff at that site , it seems most card are compatible, but you have to use that work-around by changing the channel on the set-top box unless you get a card that has an IR blaster.

Last edited by GhenghisRON (2007-02-15 13:11:52)

MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6378|Pittsburgh, PA USA
Get the best, most expensive one you can afford, seriously. I've been through 5 now in just 2 computers because I kept buying shitty ones.
It's just not worth it when your trying to watch TV but can't because your signal sucks or you can't use rewind or pause or fast forward.
GhenghisRON
Hey Magic do you have digital cable that you use it with? and if so can you watch all the channels?

Oh hey, can you also watch other channels on your t.v. while recording one on your PC?

Last edited by GhenghisRON (2007-02-15 17:21:06)

MagikTrik

GhenghisRON wrote:

Hey Magic do you have digital cable that you use it with? and if so can you watch all the channels?

Oh hey, can you also watch other channels on your t.v. while recording one on your PC?
1) Yes.
2) Yes. (was a bitch to setup for some reason though)
3) Yes. But you need a dual-tv tuner card. It's like 2 cable signals at once & since you only have 1 screen (usually) you can watch one signal while using the other to record a different channel.

It's nice but there's still never anything on
GhenghisRON
Thanks for the info MagikTrik!

Can you tell me the kind of card you have now?

If I could give you karma I would, or if you were a chick, I'd give ya  a smooch

Last edited by GhenghisRON (2007-02-16 07:37:18)

MagikTrik

GhenghisRON wrote:

Thanks for the info MagikTrik!
...or if you were a chick, I'd give ya  a smooch
Please don't ever say that again...

I have this one installed atm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6815116628
but it's kind of jittery with the digi cable on occasion. If I ever get another one I'll probably get another leadtek because I'm not a huge fan of Hauppauge.

*Edit:* I'm not sure if it matters here but I have always used these cards with Media Center operating systems.

Last edited by MagikTrik (2007-02-16 09:30:09)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard