S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6488|Montucky
this is me bored at work.....................

[start rant]

No other song in the world can make me so insane with rage that could force me to stop by a local store and start randomly stabbing innocent people with a rusty spoon than; Black Eyed Peas "My Humps." A close second that forces me to shake uncontrollably with thoughts of rage is well anything played on "MTV"

[end rant]

What songs make you go insane?

and begin..
JON.ANTONSSON
+51|6662|Sweden
MTV is crap, Eminem Is crap. Rap is Crap!
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6519|Southeastern USA
MTV is to music what Mcdonalds is to steak, anything Idol sux, sure they can sing, but it's flat, emotionless, preformulated crap in a can written by teams of writers and producers to appeal to the lowest common denominator, mainly children with allowances that have not developed any discernable ear for talent or have no life experiences with which to relate to a "real" song like say "ring of fire" by Johnny and June Carter Cash. The documentary Punk: Attitude portrays a rather complete picture of the punk movement from the late 60's to today, with everyone in it from Iggy Pop/the Stooges to Bad Brains to Sonic Youth, though it could have shown it's influence on hip-hop (the good kind of rap) a little better. Fuck all that fake Urban shit, how many songs about someone else's spinners do you really need? Give me Blitzkrieg Bop and London is Calling anyday. Who the hell is going to be sitting down 20 years from now and say, "Damn, those Pussy Cat Dolls were such well rounded artists". BTW, if any londoners see this, is King's Road still a punk hot spot? I'm hoping to go to london soon.
JON.ANTONSSON
+51|6662|Sweden
kr@cker.

God damn right.
spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6612|Burmecia, Land of the Rain
kr@cker.. the pussy cat dolls ARE pretty well rounded...

if ya know what i mean
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6756|Bulgaria

JON.ANTONSSON wrote:

+1
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6516|Doncaster, UK

Nikola Bathory wrote:

JON.ANTONSSON wrote:

+1
Word
tehmoogles
Don't touch the pom-pom!
+7|6680
Fo' Sizzle ma Nizzle Grizzle y'all!

No. Rap is crap. The only music is in the background.

Weird Al did a good parody on Eminem.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6568|Cheshire. UK
Following the thread...

My insane song

Nelly furtardo--- Maneater....

Makes me want to stick red hot needles into my ears.....then stab her in the face!!!

S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6488|Montucky
please notice that ALL.. repeat. ALL RAP videos have the same bullshit

1. The Tokken Blonde Chick (the only white person in the whole video)
2. Wads of Cash.. either counting it or throwing it at the camera
3. Stupid looking Vehicles..
4. Some reference to "Rims or DUBs"

and this is what i noticed this morning while at work..

....And you can't spell Crap without Rap, speaking of which:

Retards
Attempting
Poetry
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6762|Jupiter
My leg, my back, my mhm just like that, my leg, my back, my mhm just like that. OMFG L33t song.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6561|Scarborough Yorkshire England

[1FR]S3v3N wrote:

this is me bored at work.....................

[start rant]

No other song in the world can make me so insane with rage that could force me to stop by a local store and start randomly stabbing innocent people with a rusty spoon than; Black Eyed Peas "My Humps." A close second that forces me to shake uncontrollably with thoughts of rage is well anything played on "MTV"
totally agree
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6790
fuck you, rap is kickass.

get off your high horse and enjoy it for what it is - a beat to dance to, occasionally with some good lyrics thrown in.

oh and for the record, rap/hiphop > punk. punk is antimelodic musical nonsense. take away the 'cooler than you' political undertones, and punk loses all of its appeal. i've yet to hear a punk guitar player who knows how to play more than three chords in a row.

the more you learn, the more you learn to appreciate.
']['error
Banned
+630|6614|The Netherlands
this kind of music is what I hate the fucking most! whieeee i can't handle  it anymore :@

just click windows media player/winamp/realplayer and you really want to kill yourself after 1 minute of listening lol!: http://www.radio-vhr.eu/

Last edited by ']['error (2006-07-10 07:14:03)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Krappyappy wrote:

get off your high horse and enjoy it for what it is - a beat to dance to, occasionally with some good lyrics thrown in.

oh and for the record, rap/hiphop > punk. punk is antimelodic musical nonsense. take away the 'cooler than you' political undertones, and punk loses all of its appeal. i've yet to hear a punk guitar player who knows how to play more than three chords in a row.

as opposed to what, an MTV music generator beat loop, when punk is anti-melodic it is purposefully so, rappers can't be that because melody would have to exist for them in the first place, at least they know how to play an instrument, show me a rapper who can, like the Beastie Boys or Kid Rock, (both with extensive punk and rock backgrounds) and I'll show you an exception, not the rule, and you stereotype of punk is indicative of someone with limited musical background, you should be thankful for punk, since it (with the Beasite Boy/rick rubin/run DMC explosion) gave market cred to rap

30 year old punk records are still selling like condoms on prom night, when was the last time you saw someone really wanting to go get the sugarhill gangs first CD

the more you learn, the more you learn to appreciate. - I am a former radio station music director/talent scout/ record rep contact, for ALL genres, you may want to take your own advice, for the record hip hop=punk>rap=pop=urban

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-10 07:25:24)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6516|Doncaster, UK

Krappyappy wrote:

Yeah, because rappers play their instruments so well! Oh wait, no instruments!
=TFF=Omen_NataS
+60|6510

JON.ANTONSSON wrote:

WOOHOO!!! we have a believer HE is saved You are truly Blessed young man Truly Blessed xD
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6488|Montucky
they play keyboards.. the peice of shit 9 bucks Cassio Style..
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6516|Doncaster, UK
Nearest I've seen to a rapper that plays instrument is the video for Hey Ya by Outkast!
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6790

kr@cker wrote:

as opposed to what, an MTV music generator beat loop, when punk is anti-melodic it is purposefully so, rappers can't be that because melody would have to exist for them in the first place, at least they know how to play an instrument, show me a rapper who can, like the Beastie Boys or Kid Rock, (both with extensive punk and rock backgrounds) and I'll show you an exception, not the rule, and you stereotype of punk is indicative of someone with limited musical background, you should be thankful for punk, since it (with the Beasite Boy/rick rubin/run DMC explosion) gave market cred to rap

30 year old punk records are still selling like condoms on prom night, when was the last time you saw someone really wanting to go get the sugarhill gangs first CD

the more you learn, the more you learn to appreciate. - I am a former radio station music director/talent scout/ record rep contact, for ALL genres, you may want to take your own advice, for the record hip hop=punk>rap=pop=urban

i have been listening to music since before i was born [my dad played mozart for me while i was still in the womb]. i play 5 different instruments, am in an orchestra and a metal band, and have been a vocalist for more than a decade. but i'm not here to list credentials.

punk is purposefully antimelodic, fine. then it's purposefully not enjoyable music. while i have much respect for musicians who are able to play their own instruments [especially with any degree of virtuosity] i don't presume to think that only people who can play a guitar are real musicians. besides which, punk music is far from a technically demanding style.

rap=pop=urban? wrong. rap is spoken word to a beat, it makes no distinction as to subject matter or musical style. for every rap about 40s, blunts, and bitches, there's one about poverty, discrimination, and the black experience.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
look up the words "Punk Poet"  and maybe a name like "patti smith" punk was putting spoken word to a beat long before rap started, so what if rap has no melody at all then it can't be enjoyable either by your standards, I also have played several instruments (lost interest once I got into production), have been in bands, orchestral and otherwise, but didn't list them as it didn't provide nearly the insight to the developement of modern music as my experience on the informational/historical side of the industry
I never said that only guitarists are real musicians, when I saw the beasties in concert, they walked around the stage and swapped instruments on a regular basis and are probably the best freestyle artists that I have ever seen, but then they were playing funk, jazz, and punk songs, mostly when they did that. Nor did I ever say that there was no genre of rap that was respectable, that was why I made a distinction for the more funk based style of hip-hop like Jurassic 5, Ozomatli, Outkast, the Roots, and such, the basic rap and gangster rap is what sucks. That's what's literally formulated, like the black-eyed peas for instance. The whole reason that Fergie is in there was because a team of record reps and producers said they needed a female to appeal to a certain market, this was also about the time they started losing all their cred in artistic circles.

Don't limit your definition of punk to the likes of Suicide or James Chance yelling at a mic, there are also people like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Chrissie Hynde (the pretenders), Chris Cornell (punk with soundgarden, now  more rock with Audioslave), Maynard James Keehan (most notably of tool, though it may be hard music he has an amazing voice), hell even blondie got her start as punk before her label sent her to the new wave category. As well as punk being replete with great instrumentalists, which rap can't really claim to have at all (again with most exceptions belonging to hip-hop), like Melissa Auf Der Mar, D'arcy, even Jeordie White of MManson (all bass players), Kim Thayil, Tom Morello, Cobain (guitarists), just to name a very small percentage to both keep it short and since most people don't know drummers and such by name (if tool isn't the pure embodiment of technical drumming then no band is).

Pick up " the directors series" of DVD's by Palm Pictures. They are all great with a broad selection of the most innovative songs and music vid's from all genre and continents from Massive Attack to White Stripes (lego video) to Cibbo Matto. A great investment for anyone, you will not be disappointed no matter what you like. The Spike Jones one illustrates my point exactly, loads of great music accompanied by outstanding videos, Pharcyde's "Drop" which was filmed entirely in reverse with them rapping backwards, then played back so they were falling up stairs and such, Fat Boy Slim Praise You and Walken's dance vid, Chem Bro's, Beastie Boys Sabotage, Weezer's Buddy Holly, Bjork's Oh So Quiet,  then it gets to Notorious BIG, and the amazing twist he and Doody, I mean Diddy, can come up with is to have the standard rap vid, cars, pools, wheels, expensive clothes, and the most artistic thing they can do is replace all the rappers with children, wow.  If you only get one to try them out on get the Michel Gondry one. I'm sure since it's not software most stores will let you return it if you don't like it.

BTW, I live where the KAZOO was invented, this makes me TOTAL FUCKING GODHEAD OF MUSICAL OPINION.

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-10 08:30:25)

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6568|Cheshire. UK
Just + Karma for Kr@cker and Krappyappy for an Intelligent argument and an intersting education thanks...
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6790

kr@ker wrote:

lots of words
who did what first is completely irrelevant to our discussion about definitions. there have been people using speaking word in chinese folk music for more than a thousand years, it has nothing to do with what rap is or isn't.

anyway i tire of this pointless banter. you can list lots of band names, you are hotshit.

this isn't about punk vs rap, it's about people blindly saying things like 'all rap sucks' and 'anything on MTV sucks.' you have a sophisticated musical vocabulary, i don't see how you could agree with anything so all-encompassing.

Last edited by Krappyappy (2006-07-10 08:35:22)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Krappyappy wrote:

kr@ker wrote:

lots of words
who did what first is completely irrelevant to our discussion about definitions. there have been people using speaking word in chinese folk music for more than a thousand years, it has nothing to do with what rap is or isn't.

I thought you meant rap was better because it was spoken word, and I was referring to the fact that punk came out of the spoken word movement, with people sick of spoken word hippies, hippy jam music, and deep purple style rock

Krappyappy wrote:

you can list lots of band names
in this case band/artist names = references

Krappyappy wrote:

you are hotshit
YES

seriously though, you are lumping all punk bands into a very narrow field, but you should really try that Michel Gondry DVD, anyone even half as into music as you would love it, it even has French rap vids!!!

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-10 08:44:08)

zFeinT
+35|6639
Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry  ---- annoying song.  Can't stand it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard