beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6799

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

0mg n0 n33d n00b gr4mm3r. !'m s0 1337 ! us3 ub3r ch4t sk!llzz n00bi3s.
ppftz0rs wh0 n33ds gr4mm3r roflol omgz0r.
Ph3r3 |v|y |_|b3r 5k!||z
what he said.
I don't think we're grammar nazis as much as people who 'get annoyed when we can't read things'.  Like the above text ;D
BladeRunner
+5|6762|UK

*TS*tphai wrote:

ok so we are gramer nazi? gosh people make mistakes
I agree that they do, but seeing as how the thread started as a slur on people's bad 'gramer' i thought I'd make the point you just made. I made the point a little more tongue-in-cheek, though.

What's the point of language? Surely, it is to communicate? As long as I can understand what the person is 'saying', I can forgive the fact that they don't know the English language inside-out. Let's face it, most people don't know their past-participles from their elbows but we all managage to communicate to some degree.

By the way, you spelled 'grammar' incorrectly.

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6799

BladeRunner wrote:

What's the point of language? Surely, it is to communicate? As long as I can understand what the person is 'saying', I can forgive the fact that they don't know the English language inside-out. Let's face it, most people don't know their past-participles from their elbows but we all managage to communicate to some degree.
That's the problem!  Proper grammar makes reading things easier;  It's scientifically proven!  It's not so bad when people get a few things wrong, but when you end up trying to decypher every sentence it gets pretty damned annoying.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6861|"Frisco"

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

0mg n0 n33d n00b gr4mm3r. !'m s0 1337 ! us3 ub3r ch4t sk!llzz n00bi3s.
ppftz0rs wh0 n33ds gr4mm3r roflol omgz0r.
Ph3r3 |v|y |_|b3r 5k!||z
My brain just started bleeding out my ears....
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6789|Kansas, USA
I'd like to add Punctuation to this as well. I agree that the sole purpose of language is communication. If I understand what the other individual is saying and he understands what i am saying, then our language has served its purpose. But, when we cannot decipher another person's ramblings then confusion is the result. I see so many sentences/paragraphs with little or no punctuation where the meaning is unclear. Add a period or a comma from time to time (in the correct places) to help get your point across.

However, I know there is a pretty famous writer who NEVER used puntuation (don't recall the name). Apparently he decided to respond to all the criticism in one of his books by adding punctuation. He added hunderds of periods, commas, etc. on the last few pages and invited the readers to use them where they saw fit.
BladeRunner
+5|6762|UK
Think the guy who wrote Trainspotting didn't use punctuation (maybe wrong)
BladeRunner
+5|6762|UK

beeng wrote:

That's the problem!  Proper grammar makes reading things easier;  It's scientifically proven!
I'm trying desperately to find something that may suprise you... I'll keep you updated
BladeRunner
+5|6762|UK
Found it!

Try this dude.....

https://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7600/readingtest6ux.jpg
divided
Clear!
+3|6786
Hehe, I saw that in school one day.
BladeRunner
+5|6762|UK
Awesome isn't it? First time I saw it I read it without really noticing...it was only when my concious kicked-in that I realised it was apparently gobbeldygook.

If I were you, I'd have a look at it now and again...the brain likes to exercise in new and unusual ways. It'll only do you good (if you know what I mean).
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6799

BladeRunner wrote:

Found it!

Try this dude.....

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7600 … est6ux.jpg
thats spelling.  note how the words are still the same length and have the same letters... and puncuation is still there.  We're talking about sentence structure, proper word use, and punctuation.
Supermatt
+1|6762|FL
YOUR STUPID YOU SHOULDENT MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE

I just learned to assume most gamers are the wigger type "your mom" people who were too busy being idiots in school to learn grammar.
BladeRunner
+5|6762|UK

beeng wrote:

thats spelling.  note how the words are still the same length and have the same letters... and puncuation is still there.  We're talking about sentence structure, proper word use, and punctuation.
Absolutely right. The grammar is more important than spelling (in the pic above the apostrophe in 'don't' is still in the correct place, otherwise it would be much harder to read.

I just thought you might find this interesting as you obviously enjoy / have an interest in languages.
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6799

BladeRunner wrote:

beeng wrote:

Absolutely right. The grammar is more important than spelling (in the pic above the apostrophe in 'don't' is still in the correct place, otherwise it would be much harder to read.

I just thought you might find this interesting as you obviously enjoy / have an interest in languages.
Oh I enjoyed it.... the first time ;D
saw that information a year ago.
BladeRunner
+5|6762|UK
Sorry dude...Hey, I recon it's good enough to drag out into the light of day for another look for anyone who missed it.
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6799

BladeRunner wrote:

Sorry dude...Hey, I recon it's good enough to drag out into the light of day for another look for anyone who missed it.
indeed!
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6833|Belgium

Hey cmoe on gyus. I am in the hulbme opioinn taht gmarmar is irtnampot, but 44 psots aoubt it... Taht is srtenichg it a bit. Eialeclspy bcsauee hlaf of the pploee hree dno't hvae Esniglh as maertnal lugnagae... It is imrotpant, but try to cpoe wtih the inalibiites of oterhs...

Ceerhs,
R
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
If anyone posting criticism in this thread of anyone elses use of language were actually a linguist then they wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be posting the criticism in the first place.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2005-11-06 15:56:54)

=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6833|Belgium

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

If anyone posting criticism in this thread of anyone elses use language were actually a linguist then they wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be posting the criticism in the first place.
Uhm… Sorry m8, I've re-read your post 5 times and still don't get it. Most probably it’s just me, but what do you mean?
Someone spotted a linguist? Shoot the bastard
A find myself unable to comprehend your sentence, and kindly ask for some enlightening clarification. That or, I should go home now and stop pretending to work at 1am.

R
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6768

Wowzors, j0 n0obs aught ta |\|o7 be su<H d|_|mb@$$es...

Yeah. While the above is way too common, this site is a forum. Most of these kids don't even know where the USA is on a map (50% of high school seniors cannot identify the US on a map), so why do you expect them to write in grammatically correct sentences on a website? That's asking a bit much, methinks.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

If anyone posting criticism in this thread of anyone elses use language were actually a linguist then they wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be posting the criticism in the first place.
Uhm… Sorry m8, I've re-read your post 5 times and still don't get it. Most probably it’s just me, but what do you mean?
Someone spotted a linguist? Shoot the bastard
A find myself unable to comprehend your sentence, and kindly ask for some enlightening clarification. That or, I should go home now and stop pretending to work at 1am.

R
OOPS! There was an 'of' missing! (now corrected - does that help?)

fikraag7 wrote:

Yeah. While the above is way too common, this site is a forum. Most of these kids don't even know where the USA is on a map (50% of high school seniors cannot identify the US on a map), so why do you expect them to write in grammatically correct sentences on a website? That's asking a bit much, methinks.
And, if that's in response to my post - that's not what I was saying.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2005-11-06 15:59:44)

pfcilng
+0|6780|Northern Illinois University
- Email has ruined by grammar
- I no longer write in sentences
- Sentence fragment is where it is at
- Alot easier to use bullet points
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6768

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

fikraag7 wrote:

And, if that's in response to my post - that's not what I was saying.
It wasn't, by the way. I'm just saying--people are stupid.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6833|Belgium

fikraag7 wrote:

Wowzors, j0 n0obs aught ta |\|o7 be su<H d|_|mb@$$es...
Hmmm, I do believe your kinda over-exampling (if there ever is such a word ). The USA is not the only place where they speak English, and I still have to meet the first 12 year old that cannot point out the USA on a world map and say Texas is the capital city.

Nah, what I think CMDR_Dave meant is, that if your capable of typing some English, make it as comprehendible as possible, to help your potential readers. Moreover, it can help to re-read your post before submitting it. Especially if your native language is blimy Enlgish from the bloody English school of Cairo.
Ascii-constructions (this is hardly a sentences) like “Wowzors, j0 n0obs aught ta |\|o7 be su<H d|_|mb@$$es...” are pretty aggravating…
R

@Scorpion0x17 Aah that's what you mean... Ok, let's place some anti-linguist-say-more's...
@fikraag7: And I honestly admit I pretty stupid

Last edited by =Robin-Hood= (2005-11-06 16:15:37)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard