ghostdogfitton
+0|6772|Blackpool
I have 1 more unlock available to choose and would like assistance choosing.

I have all weapons except the M95, Jackhammer & PKM

I suppose it's a silly question because it depends on what you do in the battlefield with the selected weapon but I would like to hear other players comments and experiences on the Jackhammer and the PKM.

I think I am leaning towards the PKM because I can kill ok with just a pumpaction shotgun (by jumping in and/or weave while reloding/dodging lead!). Other players state that the Jackhammer Eng guys are not to effective on the assault, though I have have some good runs with just the M11-87 using cover effictivley and only hitting up close.

Thanks All

Last edited by ghostdogfitton (2005-10-26 05:00:48)

Psyken757
+0|6772|Germany
Jackhammer.For me, the Jackhammer is the best weapon in the Game
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6796|The Hague, Holland
I'd go for the PKM, I found it MUCH more usefuller then the Jackhammer. If you whant a weapon like the Jackhammer, go for the DAO.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6855
he has the DAO, what about some sniping?
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6795

jackhammer!!!! ultimately i think the jackhammer is far better than the stock shotgun as compared to the advantage that the pkm offers over stock machine gun.

in close combat the jackhammer is downright nasty.  if two opposing players meet in a closed alley, one with jackhammer and one with PKM, Jackhammer wins 8/10 times.  if two opposing players meet in closed alley, one with pump action shotgun ond one with stock support machine gun, the machine gun wins 8/10 times.  plus, if you run into a room with two guys chances are they ain't walking out alive.

the support weapon is an average weapon short and medium range and sucks long (even with PKM).  i've unloaded in close quarters with a pkm to have the guy take the lead then turn around and shoot me!  never happened with jackhammer.  At least with jackhammer you'll dominate short range and can just avoid medium and long range encounters!
=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6810|Barrington, RI
This is in the wrong section, but i'm sure Trigger or Voodoo will fix that shortly.  now on to your question, which one should you choose? well seeing as that i have all three of the unlocks that you are curious about, i believe I can lend some assistance.

first off the M95: personally i love sniping so that was my first unlock way back at LC, and it has served me well.  a word to the wise however it takes some getting used too before you can become proficent with it.  it is a good choice only if you plan on doing a lot of sniping and want some power.  the only real difference between the M95 and the M24 is that the M95 will go through armored glass on vechicles and it shoots through body armor, delivering maximum damage per shot, whereas the M24 will still cause some damage to targets with body armor, you will not do the full 95 damage per bullet. 

The PKM- the Pkm is a very powerful gun although you sacrifice firing rate for for damage per bullet, which can be the difference between killing the enemy and the enemy killing you.  it has awesome accuracy once you learn to use it right, and is a must if you play support at all.

The jackhammer- i just unlocked this gun for my unlock for 1st Sgt. and it is an excellent Close quaters weapon, and is a lifesaver for the engineer class (USMC and PLA as the MEC already has a semi-auto shotgun) it is great for fending off those pesky Spec. ops that delight in blowing up your artillery, and the full auto feature will save your life. 

out of the three I recomend that you go with the jackhammer for the simple reason that it will save your life when going up against Spec. Ops raiding parties, where as having to bunnyhop or pause to reload a pump-action shotgun is something to avoid.

Last edited by sewermasta324 (2005-10-26 10:17:11)

ghostdogfitton
+0|6772|Blackpool
Thanks for all of your advice!!!!! very interesting read.

It now sounds to me that the jackhammer is the way forward.

I have trouble using the M95(when I can find one of a fallen sniper), just seems to miss! I do like the M24 though.  I tend to only use the sniper class when the opposing force are sniping me. I should do more sniping but I love c4ing tanks and other enemy objects. Maybe if the Claymores were more like real life and I could shoot the M95 well I would play more on the sniper class.

With regard to the claymores please refer to my post in the improvements section http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=3305
=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6810|Barrington, RI

ghostdogfitton wrote:

Thanks for all of your advice!!!!! very interesting read.

I have trouble using the M95(when I can find one of a fallen sniper), just seems to miss! I do like the M24 though.  I tend to only use the sniper class when the opposing force are sniping me. I should do more sniping but I love c4ing tanks and other enemy objects. Maybe if the Claymores were more like real life and I could shoot the M95 well I would play more on the sniper class.
as I said, it takes some getting used to.  When I first unlocked the M95 I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it either, but I slowly learned how to use it and now I hardly use anything else.  then again i ahve over 70 hours as a sniper so I'm probably a bit biased towards the M95. try leading the target with the crosshairs and then fire, or wait until your target is standing still and aim for the head, try out different things until you get it right.  if you want more practice with a particular gun go and play on an unranked server that has all the guns unlocked, and just get a feel for how best to use each one, then when you are comfortable go back to the world of ranked servers and test your new skills.  if you find that you still nedd more work with a particular gun, repeat the process until you feel you are ready.

Last edited by sewermasta324 (2005-10-26 11:12:11)

ghostdogfitton
+0|6772|Blackpool
Nice one Thanks sewermasta324. I have chosen the jackhammer and just had a quick go, I like it!! Thought you could change the rate of fire but it seems to be easily controllable by using controlled single clicks.
Maybe I will consider the M95 over the PKM next on the next unlock?

I will post on the Jackhammers progress.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6855|Cologne, Germany

thread moved to BF2:Help for obvious reasons.
morbesso666
+0|6778|Givataim, Israel
PKM!
You can snipe with it: Aim at target and fire couple of shots while prone - the enemy will be dead quickly even if he lies down.
You can lay supressing fire: Has great punch and if it hits it's deadly for players with partly full health.
Run and gun with it: Nothing to explain, I just win all 1 on 1 close combat fights with the PKM.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6795

how exactly do you snipe with PKM?  i have it unlocked and have yet to see this.  also, i have lost an embarrasing amount of close combat duels with the PKM...a jackhammer, doa or g3 will take you out waybefore you have a chance.  what are you talking about?  pkm is a very good short to medium range weapon when you are prone.  close combat and long range (sniping) and you're shit out of luck.  sure you may hit stuff close/long range but it don't compare to abilty of other weapons.
divided
Clear!
+3|6787
I have every unlock except the jackhammer.  I've picked it up off of dead engies though and I loooooove it.  I can't wait to get it in 13,000 points!
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6774
The Jackhammer and DAO (i kick myself every day for getting a DAO as my second unlock) are only useful in Strike at Karkand. Thats it. No other map really has any use for them, as they just get outranged. And they can only kill one person at a time anyway due to the long reload time which makes you end up switching to pistol and dying.

Yes they are very fun, which is why i got the DAO originally. However, it soon wears off when you dont get any points. Just play MEC or pick one up if you feel the urge for an auto shotgun.
whit0x
Armour Anyone?
+0|6848
Talon - you must be holding the trigger down too long on the Jackhammer. You can take out 2-3 men with the 7 shots or less. On non-infantry orientated maps you have a lot of vehicles so both those classes are going to be required more than the other ones.

Just unlocked the DAO so can't comment too much on it.

Last edited by whit0x (2005-10-28 00:48:09)

pinky_81
+1|6803|Denmark
The PKM is weird... Im always prone and use the iron sights - The first shot is very accurate on every distance, but I never get the kill as the rest of the bullets always miss wether I short-burst, long-burst or hold the trigger in?? I must practice more with it but I often use the saw or RPK74 with much better results...

I have seen the accuracy charts, and it says all support weapons are equally accurate (only difference in damage, rate of fire and number of bullets) but I find the PKM way off different - anybody??
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6774
I fire it in roughly 5 round bursts, which seems to give it mega accuracy when prone and zoomed. A couple of those will drop most people.

About the Jackhammer, i havnt used it too much, but what do you mean about the trigger? Its a shotgun, you cant hold the trigger down, you have to, well, trigger it for every shot. Anyway, what I was trying to get across is that the by the time you've got close enough to hit someone with a shotgun, you could have killed them twice with a ranged gun. Granted turning round a corner and running into someone makes a shotgun effective, but keeping your cool and aiming for the head or going prone and cutting up their feet will achieve the same result.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6855|Cologne, Germany

Talon wrote:

I fire it in roughly 5 round bursts, which seems to give it mega accuracy when prone and zoomed. A couple of those will drop most people.

About the Jackhammer, i havnt used it too much, but what do you mean about the trigger? Its a shotgun, you cant hold the trigger down, you have to, well, trigger it for every shot. Anyway, what I was trying to get across is that the by the time you've got close enough to hit someone with a shotgun, you could have killed them twice with a ranged gun. Granted turning round a corner and running into someone makes a shotgun effective, but keeping your cool and aiming for the head or going prone and cutting up their feet will achieve the same result.
nope. the jackhammer is a gas-operated, full-auto shotgun. hold down the trigger and the bitch will fire until the clip is empty. also, with a little practice, you can take out multiple enemies with one clip. My best was 3 guys with seven rounds. downside is the long reload time.

Jackhammer and DAO-12 are great for CQC, mostly on Sharqui and Karkand. and if you want to go long-distance asd engi or AT, I suggest the pistols. great accuraccy over all ranges. then again, those are no kits to play as a loner anyway. If you are constantly engaged in long-distance fighting as engi or AT, you are doing something wrong...
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6772|Denmark
Back in the good ol' days (before 1.03) i choce the jackhammer when I was corporal... I still use it today even though I have all but one unlock (the other shotgun - but the jackhammer is better and engineers can still take out tanks with mines - thats why )..

But the USMC basic shotgun is REALLY GOOD in close combat! better than the jackhammer i think (because you get to used to just spraying away with it and forget your ammocounting)

When I made sergeant I unlocked the PKM - wich also is a very good weapon.. But it does take a while for it to "home in" on the crosshairs so i mostly give away ammo when im support..

And a little tip for long range usage with the PKM: "zoom in" and use "singleshot".. it works like a charm
McCullough
+7|6852
Will theese threads never ever stop? Use the search function. There is a big bunch of threads about unlocks.
And since it is so easy to get the unlocks now it's not a big deal IF you chose the wrong weapon.

Last edited by McCullough (2005-10-28 05:38:08)

ghostdogfitton
+0|6772|Blackpool

McCllough wrote:

Will theese threads never ever stop? Use the search function. There is a big bunch of threads about unlocks.
And since it is so easy to get the unlocks now it's not a big deal IF you chose the wrong weapon.
I don't know. I chose to create this thread and gained useful information from it. Also I did use the search function for unlocks but wanted more upto date information!

Thanks for the irritating comments! If it's not a big deal for you don't  bother wasting your time reading/posting in this Thread.
onthelam
+0|6781
I'd take the PKM over the Jackhammer simply because if you're an engineer your weapon is a backup to the armor you should be driving. With the PKM you have unlimited ammo (grenades).
Also the reload times are about the same, but with the PKM it isn't as often. I also feel that the default shotguns pack plenty of punch and the Jackhammer isn't much of an upgrade, whereas the default support guns are very inaccurate in comparison to the PKM.
ToiletTrooper
+25|6789|WC
omg u picked the L85A1 omg ur a noob~!! i should pick pkm

Jackhammer also called: Pancor
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6769

If you're consistently fighting close-range as an engineer with no vehicle, then you have a problem because A) the engineer class has no armor, B) either shotgun has a short range, and C) unless you're playing a city map the engineer guns don't work very well. I've unlocked both guns on another account and I find that a skilled player with the PKM gets many more kills than a skilled player with a MK3A1. If you only play engineer, well, go for the Jackhammer. But if you play on foot a lot, the PKM is the better of the two.

As far as the DAO-12 goes on any map, when you're capping a base, there are not many guns I'd rather have than the DAO-12. Unloading 4 shells into a rushing enemy who just spawned is very satisfying and very effective.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6785|Atlanta, GA USA
I think both are good upgrades. 
I got the Jackhammer as my first unlock, and I don't even remember what it's like to use the default shotties.   You can easily empty a clip if you just hold down the trigger, but tapping the fire button will allow you to shoot "semi-auto", which will allow you to conserve ammo a bit.  It is not as powerful as the US and Chinese shotguns, but makes up for it in the fact that if you miss with the first shot, you can fire the second much faster.  It is better than the MEC shotty in all respects.
I got the PKM as my second unlock (right before 1.03 came out).  I really like it also.  It is the most accurate LMG and also packs the most punch.  It took me a little time to get used to, but I really like it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard