Mac or PC

Pc89%89% - 162
Mac9%9% - 18
other.... ? (plz state)1%1% - 2
Total: 182
c0mplex1ty
Too X-Core
+100|6552|laguna beach, ca
We've all seen the commercial where the young guy owns the old uncool looking guy in a computer debate.  The younger guy talks about how much Mac's are better then PC's blablabla and the old guy representing a PC makes a silly comeback that is supposed to make the apple look cool.  Anyways... IYO, which is teh better, Mac or PC?

PS i prefer PC's for what i do

Last edited by c0mplex1ty (2006-07-01 19:00:33)

Simon
basically
+838|6650|UK
LOL Macs suck ass, i feel sorry for any dude who plays any game with more than 100 pixels on a Mac lol.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Macs are designed for designing things and watching media, they arent designed to cope with games or design games/computer models.
c0mplex1ty
Too X-Core
i used a mac in my video production class in school.  they're not that bad... just.... so limited.
Brasso
+1,549|6622

lol,

PC - 10
Macs - 0
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
c0mplex1ty
Too X-Core
yeah, this is beginning to seem a wee bit one-sided
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
those vids are wierd... but pc is so much better than the mac, see all programs the mac has, they have it on the pc!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6637|Ohio
macs are so hard. they have one button on the mouse. ha ha
hillarious
Ben>You
+90|6518
22-0
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
Ugh...moving to Tech.  (Macs FTW, by the way...but obviously they will lose out in a forum based around a PC game...)
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6559|NYC / Hamburg

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

those vids are wierd... but pc is so much better than the mac, see all programs the mac has, they have it on the pc!
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Maj.Do
+85|6744|good old CA
ahhh im the second guy that voted for mac, i like my macbook pro ( i hardly play games anymore)
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
Alright...let me do this for the umpteenth time...

It's really a matter of personal opinion.  PCs do some things better than a Mac, and Macs do a lot of things better than a PC.

1.  PCs have games.  PCs have Lots of Games, and thus are quite important in the realm of the computer gamer.  If you want to base your decision that "Macs Suck!" because they don't have as many popular games, or as many games that have inspired such communities as this one (and therefore have never used Macs enough to make an informed opinion) then you are just lost.

Macs actually carry the TOP SELLING games such as the Sims, Civilization, and a lot of the other games that FPS players tend to not play.  After the failure of Pippin, Apple decided to keep the Mac a Production machine, and therefore they aren't too friendly towards games in the first place  (One Apple official, though I don't think it was Jobs himself, was quoted as saying "We are building computer tools, not toys.")

2.  Do you do graphics/compositing/motion graphics/design/print design/editing/cinematography/music/audio editing and production/*NIX scripting/multimedia/web design/use photoshop for more things other than making sigs?  No?  Well, the Mac is specifically designed to multi-task and greatly aid the artist with those actions.  The Final Cut Studio along with Shake or compositing programs such as combustion are fully integrated into the Mac OS and hardware, making it a lot easier for artists to create artwork rather than worrying about compatibility with a plethora of 3rd party hardware or drivers.

Consider that a lot of the movies, TV shows, and commercials you guys enjoy are made with Macs in the production pipeline (Sin City, X-Men series, Hellboy, Citroën dancing robot car, too many more to list right now)

3.  Windows has a huge market share, but also runs on extremely customizable machines.  If you figure yourself to be a tech-head, [H]ardOCP user, then Macs aren't for you.  Macs are built to be production machines...set one up, load your software, and off you go with an extremely minute amount of hardware/software tweaking.  If you want to get your hands dirty with overclocking, hardware modifications, case mods, etc, albeit you CAN do that with a Mac, they aren't machines built on the expectation that users will actually want to do that.

4.  Interoperability.  Macs absolutely trounce Windows when it comes to network interoperability.  A Mac can read any file from Windows, short of .dlls and windows .exes.  Plug a windows box into the Network, and a Mac will instantly recognize it and set up file sharing protocols to match it. 

5.  OS selection comes down to personal preference, but there is nothing stopping you from completely customizing your Mac OS experience.  Once you get into UNIX, OS X becomes just all the more powerful. 

I can add much more to this, but I need to get back to work.  If you are wondering, I am an Apple Developer, and I use both Macs and PCs (including an Intel Mac running Windows XP, which I installed) on an equal basis.  Developing for both platforms, I can safely say that even though both companies have their own forms of hostility towards developers, the Mac is a much easier platform to develop for.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6694|Little Rock, Arkansas
Let me jump in here to help defend the mac a little bit. First off, I'm typing this post on a kick-ass PC. Great allaround specs, badassed gaming, fast, fierce, and lean. Why? Well, I customized the shit out of it, tweaked windows to hell and back, edited my registry, uninstalled and deactivated services, and otherwise tinkered with it for about a month until I felt that it was running to my satisfaction. I love my PC.

Now, I'm a paramedic who makes his extra money as a recording engineer. I do studio audio and some video production work, and I wouldn't go over to a PC for either of those for an extra $1000 a month. I mean that seriously. For real professionals in the digital audio business, there is only one program for recording.... Digidesign's ProTools. I run a protools HD rig in a sweet, SWEET G5 powertower, and love it like I love life itself. Is there a protools that runs with windows? I think so, but there's no way I'd try it. It took them til protools 5.5 before you could run it on a machine that even had a lan card in it (and we're only on 7 now). Its awesome, and literally defines the specs to which other programs hope to match up.

Onto video. Sorry adobe, Final Cut is the only game in town for the pros. My only beef with it is that the learning curve is SO steep, many people get frustrated with it before they actually learn how to use it. Not to mention kids, X-serve is one of the coolest ideas on the planet, and Final Cut supports it. I mean, its distributed computing like SETI at home, without custom written software.... for ANY PROJECT!!!!! I never use it for audio, but man, when you have to render and compress a DVD worth of video, I can do in 4 hours what used to take a full day of single computer processing power. I just have my 2 partners and I plug in our powerbooks, and away they go.

Anyway, the sum of this is that each is good for its own thing. You know a real computing pro by a guy that has one of each, just like a mechanic has both metric and imperial sized wrenches. Different tools for different jobs.
xbrandomx
+9|6642
Its hard to compare Macs and PCs because when you take away gaming what does it come down to?  Compatability- Macs can run all PC programs and then the programs designed for the Mac itself. 

Lets say you're just some joe-shmo trying to buy a comp... I'd tell you to buy a Mac.  Why?  Because they're simple, you can watch videos, you can edit videos, you can surf the web, and you can't break the damn thing...

if you're looking to buy a gaming computer for junior (or perhaps pwn some n00bs yourself) I'd tell you to buy a badass PC.

You cannot compare these two things.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6729

I play BF2 on a Intel Core Duo Mac Imac 20" Ill post some photo's soon, and hell mac's pwn!
I use Windhoes XP to run the game though using Bootcamp.

Last edited by Bernadictus (2006-06-30 02:46:10)

Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6797|Portland, OR, USA

While I'd never own a Mac, let me point out that you're asking on a PC-only game releated forum, so the results are going to be heavily skewed...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6644
For gaming i've got a pc, for a laptop i've got a pc.

When I buy my next laptop it'll be a Macbook (maybe Pro) since they can also boot windows and laptop costs wise to specs they're not all that different from normal pc laptops.

However, for a desktop machine you can build a significantly more powerful pc than a mac for the same price as a desktop mac.

So, if you're getting a laptop get a Macbook (Pro if you can afford it). However, if you're getting a desktop machine then go the route of a pc.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
Well the OS's on Macs are pretty good... its just that before macs were the best for video editing and image things but PCs now are better than macs in that. The good things about PC's is that as marc said u can OC it, mod it and volt mod it.

But windows Vista is to be said better than the OSX series.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
claydawg
Chuck Norris' Homeboy
+85|6615|Oxford, MS
I own both.  I like both.  I love my new MacBook and all my Linux servers, but I couldn't live without my PC for teh BF2.
lukeiamnotyourfather
Joe's Crematorium, You Kill'em, We Grill'em!
+37|6668
who voted other?
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Well the OS's on Macs are pretty good... its just that before macs were the best for video editing and image things but PCs now are better than macs in that. The good things about PC's is that as marc said u can OC it, mod it and volt mod it.

But windows Vista is to be said better than the OSX series.
BUZZER 
Calling you on the whole "now PCs are better than macs in that" statement there...

Final Cut Studio is still the industry standard in video editing, and all of the motion graphics/print design/graphic design houses use Macs for production.  Adobe After Effects and Photoshop were coded to run specifically on a Mac, and John Knoll is still a Mac guy.  They were cutting The Lord of the Rings movies in Final Cut Pro on a G4 laptop while filming on set. 
With the advent of XServe, XSan, and new camera technologies, more studios are now shooting green-screen material via umbilical straight into production G5 machines rather than using film.  This raw footage goes straight into Shake for compositing, and is ready for film export as soon as the artist is finished with the shot...

The new Windows-only Adobe Production Studio is just Adobe trying to open up competition into the mainly Mac-run video/audio production and design market. 

Obviously people are going to say that Vista is better than OS X, but in regards to my point in my original post, a LOT of the "new" technology that Microsoft is putting into it really comes from the industry advances from OS X in general.  Mac OS Leopard is coming out in a few months (we'll be getting our Developer copy in a month or two after WWDC), and Vista just might get pushed back again once Microsoft sees the new competition that Leopard is going to bring up against it.
pndragon26
+23|6678
I think Marconious put it best, great post. But as a mac person I have to type something...
I use a mac and a PC everyday, mac at home and work to make money and get work done. PC to play games. My PC: 2.61GHz AMD 64 FX-55, 2g of ram, 7800 video...mac is only a 1GHz (G4), 256 video, 2G of ram.
The mac still rips large print files just as fast as the PC (not talking about little baby web images in RGB at 72ppi, I mean the REAL files, large format 315MB+ CMYK files with hundreds of layers,masks, plenty of channels... all the fun stuff), handles fonts much better (still use postscript in the design world) shows my color much better, and lets me get done faster than my PC. I started on PCs and can not see how anyone can "work" off them in PRINT design. If I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, any web browser and email software, as well as suitcase, my PC -as strong as it is- crashes or drags along. The same programs running in OSX on my mac, no problem at all.
Ironicly, if I am only using dreamweaver or flash, I actually like my PC better... but I still create all my images on my mac then bring them over. And I am primaraly a print designer, don't do web work often.
I only play with video (on the mac) so I can't comment on that with any real info.
I'm a designer, I don't know computers or care to learn. Its not what I went to school for. I just want to create my artwork and cash my check, so I use a mac. When I want to play games you have to use a PC, the mac has "some" great games, but you have to wait till they get ported (year or two later) but once out they look great! And rarely (in my opinion) do they crash or cause problems. But especially if you want to play online, PC wins. But in order to enjoy all the fun, bills have to be paid and nothing does that better than my mac.
Oh... how do you turn off a Windows PC?... you click on the START button...?

Windows Vista is "said" to be better... Then when can we see it? I bet it looks a lot like OSX. Redmond start your photocopiers...

Last edited by pndragon26 (2006-06-30 12:01:34)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
ok i got it down...

macs for work and pc for games
Sondernkommando
+22|6708
I find it funny how Mac users are almost religious in their fervour, often spontaneously discussing the virtues of their machines.  Almost everyone I know has a PC and we never talk about how much we love our rigs - we just use them.

Finally, there is no argument that, due to their tiny market share and, as such, lack of volume discount, Macs are expensive and Mac parts are expensive.  I bet you could prove that Mac users have a higher per capita income than PC users just because of this.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard