Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6811
yet another small thing that DICE overlooked, which would add a lot of authentic feel to the game.

it's fucking stupid that you can play as MEC or PLA, but your rank insignia always looks like those of the USMC. Other armies use different symbols/ranks, it would have taken 30 seconds of googling for them to research this.

enlisted insignia of the PLA [click for complete listing including officers]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4f/Rank-enlisted-1-.gif/400px-Rank-enlisted-1-.gif

add this to the already humongous pile of balls that DICE has dropped.

EDIT:

Today 11:11:21      -1      Authentic Ranks      For thinking anyone but you cares - (ps there is no NAVY in BF2, Numbnuts)

like i give two shits about my karma. don't care about the topic? stay the fuck out.

Last edited by Krappyappy (2006-06-28 08:18:51)

vassili
+66|6514
care?
im fine with it the way it is
BURNT TOAST
+1|6506
yeah seriously I really dont care about the ranks I only care about the guns
chuuby
+19|6609
so it should show both ranks. what about the sf exp. should they show all those ranks also. really dont understand what thie big deal is or how ea dropped the ball on this. why take up more space just show another rank.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6510|Montucky
its not realism and even the USMC ranks are wrong if you wish to get really anal about the subject.

****EDIT*****

Anal.. keyword.. or TECHNICAL..
Oh i served in the Marines, so i know what the fuck i'm talking about to whoever hurt my E-Penis by giving me a -1..

Privates don't have shit on their sleeves, no patch, nothing.
http://ubar.bf2s.com/ranks.php

a Master Gunnery Sergeant has a symbol of bursting bombs, signifying he is the master of his MOS (military occupational specialty)
http://www.dodfire.com/graphics/Insigni … rgeant.gif

Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps has the Eagle Globe and Anchor a star on the left and right
http://www.dodfire.com/graphics/Insigni … _Corps.gif

Last edited by [1FR]S3v3N (2006-06-28 10:52:25)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6557|England

It would just be too complicated.

You'd end up having rank insignia for:
USMC
MEC
PLA
SAS
Spetsnaz
MECSF
Navy Seals
Insurgents
Rebels
European Union

.......is it really viable to have a different ranking system for each army? And so are you saying that whilst you may have 500hours as USMC and be ranked Major, you might only have 30hours as PLA and be ranked a Cpl in their terms.
Its way too confusing and too much to add in. They cant even get their patches to work properly...this would just be too complicated for EA.

Last edited by Snake (2006-06-28 09:55:26)

Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6811

Snake wrote:

It would just be too complicated.

You'd end up having rank insignia for:
USMC
MEC
PLA
SAS
Spetsnaz
MECSF
Navy Seals
Insurgents
Rebels
European Union

.......is it really viable to have a different ranking system for each army? And so are you saying that whilst you may have 500hours as USMC and be ranked Major, you might only have 30hours as PLA and be ranked a Cpl in their terms.
Its way too confusing and too much to add in. They cant even get their patches to work properly...this would just be too complicated for EA.
not at all. if you are a colonel in the USMC, you would be the equivalent rank in another army. all it would do is display a different insignia for you. it's not complicated at all, in fact it's retardedly simple, any beginner programmer could knock it out quickly.

it's not about anal realism, it's about immersion. as someone mentioned above, the USMC ranks aren't entirely accurate, and they don't need to be. it's just for that 'authentic flavor'. so just pick an approximately equal rank that corresponds to the USMC one, and display it accordingly. remember that some of us actually know about things OUTSIDE of the USA, and think it's stupid to be an iraqi with an oak leaf.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6510|Montucky
i don't think they need to be accurate,  they work for all military branches except the U.S. Navy/Coast Guard (the ranks are fucking retarded).. its a form of "standardization" also a way for Dice to cut a few corners instead of spending 3 weeks researching the correct ranks then having then rendered for the game.. its just huge headache to program that crap, if it isn't broken don't fix it.
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6622|New Hampshire, USA
Hey, i think it's a good idea, and would add realism to the game
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6767|Kansas, USA

Krappyappy wrote:

... if you are a colonel in the USMC, you would be the equivalent rank in another army. all it would do is display a different insignia for you. it's not complicated at all, in fact it's retardedly simple, any beginner programmer could knock it out quickly.
And what if there is no equivalent? What if there are less enlisted ranks in the PLA than there are in the USMC? Then they would have to create a fictional rank among the real ones and you would be all over them for that. At least with MEC they could do what they please since it is a fictional army.

It's an interesting idea though. Personally though I would like the option to have the non English speaking teams speak in English with an appropriate accent. If you use the option to have everyone speak in English and you hear "Grenade!" you have no way of knowing if that was a friendly throwing a grenade toward the enemy or the enemy throwing a grenade toward you.

As for the ranks though - it doesn't affect gameplay for me, so I'm ambivalent about it.

Last edited by Psycho (2006-06-28 11:17:17)

S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6510|Montucky

Psycho wrote:

It's an interesting idea though. Personally though I would like the option to have the non English speaking teams speak in English with an appropriate accent. If you use the option to have everyone speak in English and you hear "Grenade!" you have no way of knowing if that was a friendly throwing a grenade toward the enemy or the enemy throwing a grenade toward you.
Good Call.. especially since i dont speak Arabic
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6557|England

^ ^ Exactly that about equal ranks. Take the British Army to the US Army.

US: (all NCO's)
Private
Private First Class
Corporal
Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Sergeant First Class
Master/First Sergeant
Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major of the Army
(10 ranks)
http://www.military-quotes.com/ranks/ar … signia.htm

British (i.e. SAS): (all NCO's)
Pvt (no insignia)
Lance Cpl
Corporal
Sergeant
Colour/Staff Sergeant
Warrant Officer Class 2
Warrant Officer Class 2 (Quartermaster Sergeant)
Warrant Officer Class 1
(8 ranks)
http://www.army.mod.uk/atr/hq_itg/infor … k/rank.htm

The only ranks that even compare are the Officers ranks, all of which are the same.
So, you'd either be adding fictionary ranks or taking out ranks.

Last edited by Snake (2006-06-28 11:38:14)

Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6811

Psycho wrote:

And what if there is no equivalent? What if there are less enlisted ranks in the PLA than there are in the USMC? Then they would have to create a fictional rank among the real ones and you would be all over them for that. At least with MEC they could do what they please since it is a fictional army.

Krappyappy wrote:

as someone mentioned above, the USMC ranks aren't entirely accurate, and they don't need to be. it's just for that 'authentic flavor'. so just pick an approximately equal rank.
also, in bf2, the USMC has a total of 12 enlisted rankes, including a few that overlap, and one that most people will never attain [sgt. maj. of the corps]. if you look at the chart in the original post, there are 14 enlisted ranks shown for the PLA. so your concerns are really unfounded.
Snipingruven
The Anti-Sniper
+12|6528|Las Vegas

BURNT TOAST wrote:

yeah seriously I really dont care about the ranks I only care about the guns
Amen
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6582|Reisterstown, MD

The game is based on the United States Marine Corps ranks(which I think is the best in all the military but I am biased I guess).  I see where you are coming from with having rank from MEC, PLA, SAS, Insurgents, etc., but that would entile too much code that may screw up the game. 
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6540|UK

Suppose, would it work like,

If u spend most of ur time as PLA, your displayes as their equivilent.

OR

Depending on what team you are one, it displays the ranks acordingly

So the americans have their colonels, chines have their (I aint even gonna attempt so say one lol)
FesterTheMolester
BF2s US Server Admin, IRC>Forums
+157|6631|The Mind Of A Cereal Killer
dont like the idea, sounds like a bunch of clutter

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard