Poll

Who would you prefer to be the dominant superpower in the world?

China6%6% - 25
U.s.a.38%38% - 145
India1%1% - 4
Russia2%2% - 9
Brazil/Latin American Coalition1%1% - 6
E.u.23%23% - 88
Other11%11% - 43
Go Fuck Yourself13%13% - 52
Total: 372
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584
If I'm so easy to prove wrong, how come you aren't actually responding to that?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6667
dude i didnt even read it, its 2 freaking 30 in the morning over here, do you really need an answer to that question

well here it is

Good night, see ya in the morning

GarryOwen

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-06-27 02:39:04)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584
So, it's too late to read, but not too late to just assume the post is wrong and respond on that presumption?  Nice plan there, doesn't make you look stupid at all
easy-skanking
+43|6559
china gave the uk ultimatums to return honk kong. thatcher tried to keep it but conceded to avoid conflict. the govt never made any literal threats but its known that if the uk refused to concede the prc said it would just take it back.. kinda like taiwan...

mongols came from asia at the time there was no mongolia or china...they are an asian race and at the time they invaded were in present day china. china has like 40 races, mongol is one of them .. there is no chinese race ..

ask a taiwanese if they think taiwan is a country? i think about 23 million people would disagree with you
CameronPoe
+2,925|6578

easy-skanking wrote:

china gave the uk ultimatums to return honk kong. thatcher tried to keep it but conceded to avoid conflict. the govt never made any literal threats but its known that if the uk refused to concede the prc said it would just take it back.. kinda like taiwan...

mongols came from asia at the time there was no mongolia or china...they are an asian race and at the time they invaded were in present day china. china has like 40 races, mongol is one of them .. there is no chinese race ..

ask a taiwanese if they think taiwan is a country? i think about 23 million people would disagree with you
Legally speaking - Hong Kong was always a possession of China. The brits would have been 'squatting' had they stayed longer.

PS Thatcher wasn't in power during the handover...?!?!

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-27 02:53:34)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584

easy-skanking wrote:

WTF are you on?  Manchuria was never a part of what might be considered China historically.  I'm not even aware of it ever being a part of the Chinese Empire, although it probably was.  To say that Mongolian actions can be attribute to China is stupid, and even if you could, those invasions were made under the old regime, which had an entirely different political system to China.

easy-skanking wrote:

K, how about we ask ancient Greeks whether the world is flat.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6743|California

China/NK perhaps
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6698|Canberra, AUS

easy-skanking wrote:

So you've asked 23 million people? 1 million? A thousand? How many, may I ask? cyborgninja doesn't count - technically he's an Aussie.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6598
an out of space death star, governed by me Muhahaha.

This is just a childhood dream and shouldnt be taken serioulsy.
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6829|Orlando, FL - Age 43

Bubbalo wrote:

K, how about we ask ancient Greeks whether the world is flat.
Actually, the ancient Greeks knew that the world was round and were some of the first to accurately come up with a number for the circumference of the globe. The most famous effort today is that of Eratosthenes, Librarian of Alexandria, who wrote a treatise On the Measurement of the Earth (now lost) in which he gave a figure for the Earth's circumference of 250,000 stadia. Depending on how long a stadia actually was this is the equivalent of about 23,000 miles, creditably close to the true figure of 24,900 miles.

It was in Europe a couple thousand years later that the myth of the Earth being flat was believed.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6584
So you learn something new everyday.  You take my point, though?
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6860

Wasder wrote:

I say Russia+EU. You have cash, we have nukes -  we're made for each other!
History shows us how well this arragment works for Europe lol.

Remember..  Next time,  You are on your own !

Last edited by Horseman 77 (2006-06-27 05:56:07)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6860

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

dude i didnt even read it, its 2 freaking 30 in the morning over here, do you really need an answer to that question

well here it is

Good night, see ya in the morning

GarryOwen
Keep  in mind his firm grasp of History and world events See below

Bubbalo wrote:

The point was that the US could strike the USSR with nukes, the USSR could not strike the US.
You gotta wonder about age and or education, Is a response worth it?
parthian1000
+8|6683|The Barbary Coast
To be fair nearly everyone on the list has had a crack at it in some shape or form so lets have a look at their form:

1.  China - hmm, tended to be quite isolationist until the Mongols took over and look what happened then.  They would have to be a no vote simply because of the casual attitude to killing/imprisoning anyone who disagrees with them in their own country.

2.  Well, they like the UK but I'm not sure the rest of the world fares as well.  The idea of a nation that powerful being controlled by Christian fundamentalists also fills me with horror simply because they're fundamental in a "burn the filthy sinners" kind of way instead of a "lets love our neighbours" kind of way.  Also, there's the whole issue of Generica - I don't want every place I go to to look, smell and feel the same with a McStarbucks Taco King on every corner.

3.  Fairly isolationist and responsible for Buddism the most pacifist religion in the world.  Then again its also one of the world hotbeds of sectarian strife to the point of nuclear war with its neighbours.  With them as the superpower I would expect Pakistan to last approximately 30 seconds.

4.  Oh dear - not a good track record really - Stalin and Chernobyl (violent tyranny and staggering incompetence) combine to put the Russians out of the equation for me that and the fact the the Russian mafia run nearly everything there anyway.

5.  No previous presence on the world stage but local dominance by the Aztec Coalition in the 16th century resulted in wide spread human sacrifice.  I for one don't want to be the main attraction at a Xipe Totec festival so I'd have to vote no for them.

6.  Some might argue that a lot of the problems in Africa, South America and the Far East are the result of European meddling 100+ years ago.  In any case the European superpowers were responsible for starting both World Wars; that's not really a great track record is it?

7.  Who else?  Islamic Caliphates were remarkably tolerant and open societies originally - its only since religious dogma has taken precedence over enlightment that they've taken a turn for the worst.  For all their pillaging and slaughter, the Mongols were also remarkably fair rulers too.  Nothing like them exists at present though.  That leaves an international body like the UN which, to be honest is a non-starter, unless we're looking for a super power that does nothing beyond debate the world's ills in plush offices before going for a "fair trade" coffee to make them feel good about themselves.

Shit - that's all a bit depressing really
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6725|New York

oug wrote:

Ok I know what I said about the US n all but... my vote goes to mother Russia cause i'd love to see what would 've happened if the USSR hadn't collapsed. Plus there was no Spain option (cameron how could u forget?)

PS: im thinking Spain as it was before that sonofabitch Franco killed all the anarchists...?
SPAIN???? Kidding right? They have Conqured and killed more countries and people than most all other countries combined. That was until the rest of the world put there breaks on for them. Holy shit  SPAIN???FFS
comet241
+164|6788|Normal, IL

CameronPoe wrote:

easy-skanking wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

We will be returning to a multi-superpower world shortly.
define shortly ? 40 years ?
EU shouldnt even be on there you act as if the EU is some sort of cohesive power. The army is NATO ..the EU is little more than a market and currency system.

CmaeronPoe wrote:

At least China aren't imperialistic and tend to leave everyone else the fuck alone...
really? i think you chould ask korea japan hong kong taiwan and vietnam if they think china is a really nice group of folks that leaves "everyone the fuck alone"

ask south korea / japan / every other country we had a conflict with if the united states is an imperial power in thier country. give it a rest with the imperialistic crap..
I think you'll find China haven't done ANYTHING in recent history (~30/40 years at least) to suggest that they have imperialistic deisgns on any of the countries you mention. In fact - weren't China on the RECEIVING end of imperialism in WWII?

I will concede that China have issues in Tibet and Taiwan but I don't think the rest of the world need to be worried.

I put the EU as a choice .... for others - it's a POLL .... I don't believe they are or will be a superpower but hey - things change as time goes by. The EU may someday have an army and a consitution.
poe, have you forgotten about the Korean War and the Vietnam War??? China not only had a part in it, they're the whole reason both ended the way they did, creating the wonderful governments that now exist in those two countries. That's been in the last 40 years or so, and they still have close ties to those governments. To say that China hasn't done anything in recent history to act imperialistic is wrong. I personally know a dozen people that fought in Vietnam that can vouch for the fact that while the chinese weren't directly there, they did more than their fair share for the North Vietnamese army.
CLEVERLITTLETROJAN
I killed you,you just don't know it yet
+18|6637|birmingham,uk
UK all the way lol
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6829|Orlando, FL - Age 43

CameronPoe wrote:

I was referring to European popular opinion, at the outset and throughout, in countries like Italy, Spain, Poland and the UK, countries that did actually send troops (although Italy & Spain have reversed their decisions).
Right, my misunderstanding.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6755|Cambridge, England
What about the British empire??? pah give us back 1/4 of the globe
easy-skanking
+43|6559

CameronPoe wrote:

Legally speaking - Hong Kong was always a possession of China. The brits would have been 'squatting' had they stayed longer.

actually hong kong was a british colony from 1843-1898 after the first opium war. then 1898-1997 they were leased. thatcher wasnt in power in 1997 but throughout the 80's when the lease date was coming up she attempted to negotiate with the chinese.

if you dont find china's many invasions in older history relevant or a reflection upon the prc then theres plenty of military actions in modern times.

theyve sent men and material to korea and vietnam.. and then invaded vietnam thier former ally. theyve had border conflicts with russia and they even invaded india http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

they threaten to invade taiwan every year or so and as they become more capable theyre sure to take more actions.. but you want them to be a fuzzy teddy bear becuase they arent America
rolluf69
+7|6544

easy-skanking wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

actually hong kong was a british colony from 1843-1898 after the first opium war. then 1898-1997 they were leased. thatcher wasnt in power in 1997 but throughout the 80's when the lease date was coming up she attempted to negotiate with the chinese.

if you dont find china's many invasions in older history relevant or a reflection upon the prc then theres plenty of military actions in modern times.

theyve sent men and material to korea and vietnam.. and then invaded vietnam thier former ally. theyve had border conflicts with russia and they even invaded india http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

they threaten to invade taiwan every year or so and as they become more capable theyre sure to take more actions.. but you want them to be a fuzzy teddy bear becuase they arent America
what you say is treu but they cant invaded anymore because there econemy is just as much depended on the us as vice versa
]GoD[JiN
+4|6583
I,v got to be honist my wife pwns me and she tells me thats all that counts o.O
messfeeder
+31|6551|Gotham
I like SPAM.

Did you know that when the Mongols were low on food, they would cut open a vein on their horses and drink the blood, then stitch it back up?  Man, Gehngis Kahn was wicked awesome!
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6779|United States of America
There is no spoon.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6701|Middle of nowhere
CANADA FTW!!

seriously, with their low medical prices, a lot of USAans will probably go to Canada.  Bringing the US knowledge of power their.  And since Canada is so off the radar, they could do some damage

that's my theory anyway

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard