+186|6530|The real world
Did somebody try this yet?
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6678|NL

elmo1337 wrote:

2.    When you got some professional anti tank fags on the other side
PONCHOOOOOOOOO!!!!111111 lol

also with the ground defense. peace of cake.

edit: nice guide too! +1

Last edited by Poncho (2006-06-17 12:29:39)

elmo1337
Banned
+186|6530|The real world
Vrede met de cake hé
comet241
+164|6735|Normal, IL
my big pet peeve is when my gunners try to use tv's on cars, either travelling or shooting at us.... NOOOO!!!! i always want to scream. use the guns!!!!! glad to see someone else aggrees with me on that. good guide, nice vids
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6709|Finland
That was too long to read when I already know how to use chopper But it looks awesome. Nice job I have to say. +1 for you
JP3
+8|6640|Grammar Land
actually, I think this guide could be a lot simpler.
Summary in 8 words: don't trust your gunner unless you know them
[RSN]FSK.nor
+16|6639
The MEC gun eats APC's.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6622
I've been practicing with the tv missile on single player, seem to have gotten decently used to it.

Also, damn the ai pilot code for the helicopter sucks. Sometimes it crashes into buildings, it likes to fly in pretty much slow straight lines and never goes back to the helipad to get repairs.
Slashed06
+44|6528
Very very nice! +1
tinuzz
lead catcher
+4|6551|The Netherlands
reminds me of =f13=ArmyDocs's video's.

but anyway nice guide
vassili
+66|6494

elmo1337 wrote:

There is only one important thing I should tell you, Do NOT spot targets for your gunner, your gunner was born with eyes
brilliant guide +1

and yes terror is a n00b
he should see his life as a complete failure
Not
Great success!
+216|6547|Chandler, AZ
I'd like to add something if nobody objects, it's a piloting technique that I've not seen mentioned in either this guide or the wiki guides for chopper piloting.

I apologize if this is common knowledge, but given my gaming experience in Battlefield 2, VERY few pilots know how to accurately use their own missiles!

Here's a huge tip to any aspiring chopper pilot. You see that horizontal line that shows your tilt? That's not all it's for. Play around with it and notice that it moves on a vertical axis as well. This is to show you where on the Y axis your missiles will end up. Use the target reticle to position the missiles, but use the bar protruding from it to judge where they're going based on the downward or upward tilt of your chopper. Now, moving horizontally, as any pilot who's used their missiles knows, throws all of this off kilter massively. The key is coming in straight at the target, slinging missiles in is a matter of pure luck if you're turning.

If this is what your reticle looks like

----------------       -----------------

Here is where you should end up landing your missiles.

----------------   X   -----------------

That diagram is about as crude as it gets, but due to CPU cooling issues I can't run BF2 right now to get screenshots .

Anyway, it's not a perfect science, but if you practice with it you open up a whole new dimension for your chopper squad. So many good pilots out there would be great pilots if they were better able to support their gunners with some extra firepower when the guns run hot or a TV guided missile misses its target. Rather than having to set up that shot again, you can finish the job in one pass.

+1 for the guide, good effort put into this one.

Last edited by Not (2006-06-23 22:38:34)

elmo1337
Banned
+186|6530|The real world
Is that true? Never noticed it right, ill try it in a minute
Cheddarmuff
+21|6622
STICKY!!  Excellent!!
[DEI]Bart
fire at will!!!
+76|6683|Leiden, Holland for the n00bs

Not wrote:

I'd like to add something if nobody objects, it's a piloting technique that I've not seen mentioned in either this guide or the wiki guides for chopper piloting.

I apologize if this is common knowledge, but given my gaming experience in Battlefield 2, VERY few pilots know how to accurately use their own missiles!

Here's a huge tip to any aspiring chopper pilot. You see that horizontal line that shows your tilt? That's not all it's for. Play around with it and notice that it moves on a vertical axis as well. This is to show you where on the Y axis your missiles will end up. Use the target reticle to position the missiles, but use the bar protruding from it to judge where they're going based on the downward or upward tilt of your chopper. Now, moving horizontally, as any pilot who's used their missiles knows, throws all of this off kilter massively. The key is coming in straight at the target, slinging missiles in is a matter of pure luck if you're turning.

If this is what your reticle looks like

----------------       -----------------

Here is where you should end up landing your missiles.

----------------   X   -----------------

That diagram is about as crude as it gets, but due to CPU cooling issues I can't run BF2 right now to get screenshots .

Anyway, it's not a perfect science, but if you practice with it you open up a whole new dimension for your chopper squad. So many good pilots out there would be great pilots if they were better able to support their gunners with some extra firepower when the guns run hot or a TV guided missile misses its target. Rather than having to set up that shot again, you can finish the job in one pass.

+1 for the guide, good effort put into this one.
yeah I noticed that when I tried to hit something, but I have to add that it works only if the target is a few meter (mor than 10 i think) away, otherwise the missles will end up lower.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6532|Cheshire, UK
Good guide mate +1
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6530|The real world
Bump!
REDARMYMIKE
+7|6476|St. Louis
ok, st00pid n3wb question...

for tv missles, you left click once to lock where its gonna fire, then right click to shoot?

(and left clicking again resets the crosshairs?)

whats the point of the box then?
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6530|The real world

REDARMYMIKE wrote:

ok, st00pid n3wb question...

for tv missles, you left click once to lock where its gonna fire, then right click to shoot?

(and left clicking again resets the crosshairs?)

whats the point of the box then?
No, u right click once, it opens the box for the tv missile

Then just click away with the left mouse button, updating its new impact point, and when the missiles hit something (or just run out of fuel) bf2 will automaticly go back to the gunners position thing
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6724
Nice guide.
What NOT says is true, as pilot line up your missiles with the horizontal Y axis as well as the reticule.  I noticed that in your video, when you took out the tank head-on.  You were right in his face, so the kill happened, but any further away and the missile would have gone past/over him.

Here's the one thing I try to remember in the attack helo: the gunner is THE MAN.  He has two weapons, the pilot has only one, and pilot's are not as deadly or accurate.  I consider it a good round when I am pilot and end up with three or four kills and forty+ points, because it means I set up my gunner (and he was good at his job LOL). 

I flew last week at Wake with some colonel or captain or something, and he was all L33T with the Cobra.  He was bobbin' & weavin' & circlin'.  I swear he had some sort of fisheye vision, he saw shit BEHIND us that he would swoop around to nail.  It was majestic.  But here's the thing...I couldn't hit anything.  My MG was dragged all over the place, the bullets must have had ten feet between them as they hit the dirt, he was circling so fast with his W-A keys or W-D pressed all the time.  When we lined up a vehicle, he'd empty his rockets and take it out, then do some barrel-roll out to sea while he reloaded, or we'd fly off to rearm.  I got so f*ing dizzy that I switched to TV missiles a couple times just to calm down the screen.  I flew the whole round with him, I think we got shot down once, and I don't think I had ten points.  Next round he was on the screen "I prawn with chopper" but I didn't get in with him again, because he obviously didn't care about his gunner.  He ended up with the Silver, but we lost the round, I think because he was using four missiles per infantry kill and avoided tangling with armor, which meant our boys kept getting mowed down.

Good guide, Elmo.  Thanks for the pics comparing pilot view with TV missile view, gunner is looking slightly below the pilot reticule.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6681|Sweden
i actually have to give you cred for this elmo, nice well-written guide

On a sidenote i would like to see some more friendlyness among the gunners/pilots if i pilot and is utterly crap i won´t go back for the chopper when it spawns that´s selfish, the same when i gun and fail to hit anything then i usually bails out when we goes back for repairs and asks the pilots to take another gunner,

It´s terrible when your flying yourself with a blind and deaf gunner the least they could do is to bail out
PinkTricycle
+1|6491
nice guide
|SoW|BlackFire
C4 WHORE
+67|6687|Colorado
Very nice guide.

I can fly good no matter what, but your guide is good.

+1.
[CF]Snowytheman
+2|6612|California
Nice work. One thing though...the weak spot on choppers for the machine gun is the engine area. Get behind and blast away at that area and the enemy chopper is toast.

Your stats say you have less than 100 points??

My chopper guide from the 1.2 patch: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=14897

Holds true still except for enemy AA hitting enemy chopper...very rare now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard