Oh, look a chopper, for me its one of the most powerful vehicles in the Battlefield arsenal, can take on tanks with ease, infantry are just obstacles, and slowing down planes are a charm to take down. Damn I love flying those things
• Getting your settings right
Getting your settings right
I myself play everything on low, because my computer overheats anyway, graphics don’t really matter to me, as long if you crank your viewing distance to the max!
Oh noez, the joystick / mouse issue, really it doesn’t matter, as long you get some practice with both of them, there is no difference, I play with mouse myself because I find solo-chopper easier then.
I’ve got a Logitech MX1000 mouse, got my sensitivity for the helicopter on 10, pitch and yaw factor you should figure out yourself. I’ve got my sensitivity on 10, so I don’t find my self eating earthworms after some stupid ass maneuvers dodging a TV missile..
And please have a view to the controls before you start flying, if necessary put the flares key a bit closer to your WSAD section.
Many people think this gets boring after a while, I think otherwise.
(I am not going over the basics here, helicopter flying isn’t hard, they handle like sweets in Battlefield 2, practice in single player if necessary.)
You and your gunner
First of all, the gunner does NOT have to see your retarted “OMFG I CAN DO A LOOPING SHIT” its completely useless, most shit is easy to pull of in a helicopter, just stick to flying normal and you will have a much better relationship with your gunner.
Many pilots get don’t give their gunner the change to blow something away, or simply don’t have any brains. Are you one of those pilots (in the AH-1Z) that think: OMFG he misses everything, what a nub.
This is simply because you cant keep the chopper steady enough, honestly, the choppers gunner guns are (almost) equal each other, when in the right hands.. The key to killing all infantry is flying steady, like in the video below, probably you are thinking, aren’t you a target for anti tank missiles then? I will go over that in the next chapter.
If necessary you can even hover, like OMG HOVER? Yes, hover; there is nothing evil about hovering, when you do it in the right spot, on the right time. Like on the back of the TV station in Sharqi. There are mainly two things factors for hovering:
Finding a good spot!
A spot like this is perfect, it gives you great cover from the building against the stinger on the other side, when the hummer tries to drive off, he is toast and probably some fags will come with their AT rockets, on the roof, try and gun you down, dodging them is easy because they have to travel a long time, and when they got one shot fired, your gunner guns them down 90 percent of the time.
Another brilliant spot, the building on the left is a spawn point, under the arches is a spawn point, and inside the building on top of the arches is a spawn point. Same in dodging AT missile, nice distance, and if some fag tries and run to the stinger, gunner sees him with ease and blows him to shit.
Keys in finding a brilliant spot:
1. Keep your distance!
2. Give your gunner a maximal view of the area (especially spawn points)
3. Must be enough room to dodge incoming missiles.
4. You must NOT be engage able from the side!
When you shouldn’t hover
1. When the enemy chopper is in the air (duh)
2. When you got some professional anti tank fags on the other side
3. Armor in the area
Dodging anti-tank missiles:
Dodging missiles is easy, when as easy as 1, 2 ,3.
1. Watch, are there multiple missiles coming at you? Probably teamwork!
2. Dodge, only use your mouse for dodging, just go vertical about 30 degrees
3. Stabilize, speaks for itself!
That sums it up about hovering.
Another key to flying is, know where the anti air is, both mobile AA and stationary AA. There are 3 types of locks,
This is shit, you’ve got a stinger on you, 2 hits usually get u down to 3 bars of health, so if there is a transport with a gunner in the area, you will almost certain die. Dodging these things can be quite tricky (Especially on Gulf of Oman)
They key to getting away is, fly low, tree top level at highest! Still get locked? Try and find out who the fag is, go low and approach him from the back. And if you almost know for sure, fly away about 400 meters, go high and let your gunner take a shot on him with TV missile, that should teach him
The BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
Ah a plane, these are easy to dodge, very easy, they fly to fast, they can get 2 rockets at you, max. Wait for the long beep to sound, and face the plane. This way the rockets will go under you and you are harder to hit with the machinegun mounted on the front.
But what then the fag slows down to hit you? That’s no problem at all, get some lift and fly straight at them while barraging a full load of missiles at them, 2 hits is enough to teach those nubs a lesson!
The almost instant BEEEP
EA promised they would fix that, they didn’t, you get the Cool it, cease fire! Message immediately. It’s a friendly rocket up your ass, dropping your flares on reflex will help get rid of them, but then again, if you hate your team, just don’t drop the flares.
That’s some things about AA, now I’m going to teach you what the gunner sees.
Most people think, OMG gunners view that must be the center of the TV rocket, wrong I’m going to tell you about the gunners view importance after this. Found some great screenshots, lining the TV missile view up with the cockpit view of the pilot, here we go:
American Chopper (AH-1Z)
The gunners view is just centered, under the pilot’s crosshairs
PLA Chopper (Z-10)
The gunners view is like the cobra, only a bit lower.
MEC Chopper (Mi-28)
The gunners view is centered, in between the pilots crosshair and gunners view
So man, now you know how to line your gunner up (So he can’t miss anymore, or he has to try very hard)
This makes your gunner happy, and it makes you happy to!
The gunners view
So what exactly is this gunners view, simply said, the way your gunner is looking, so if the thing is all the way at the right, and the guy is shooting like mad, it means you must have missed something! Turn your ass right immediately, so he can gun the little worms down!
This is another interaction between you and your gunner, listen to your gunner, he is your best friend, if you guys both got microphones, squad up and chat with each other (doesn’t matter how gay your voice is)
I prefer Teamspeak for communication, just a tad bit faster and my voice is kind of soft in BF2.
So now you know little things and important things, if you hold a bit too these rules, your gunners will adore you, for sure!
There is only one important thing I should tell you, Do NOT spot targets for your gunner, your gunner was born with eyes (although some people have glass ones 00.Terror.00)
Just fly and dodge missiles, when you get sucked off in the car, you aren’t watching your girlfriend (I hope it’s a girl for you to be honest), you are watching at the road. Keep that in mind and you wont get pissed if your gunner misses another target.
Oh and please use the Control key to have a look around and see the area better
Oh hell yes, you are going to get a lot of kills if you sign up for gunning, but only after a while.
You got 2 different things in your arsenal:
The Machine Gun: You maybe think, the MEC gun is much better, actually it is, but not a lot better if you learn how to handle the other guns,
the keys to gunning properly are:
• Don’t overheat! (Don’t just blast away constantly)
• Fire in bursts!
• Fire in lines (From point A to point B, in a straight line)
These three things will reduce your recoil a lot, and instead of blasting away at infantry and overheating, keep your cool and you will demolish most of the infantry walking around. A good place to try this technique out is on Sharqi, in the American Helicopter, loads of peons walking around there.
And if real nubs are reading this guide, the machine gun DOES NOT work, on tanks, APC’s or any other kind of armor. So don’t try unless you want your gunner to get pissed.
You got another sweaty for that, we will talk about that one later. There are some things the gun works on very good, those are:
1. Light armored cars and Heavy armored cars
3. Enemy Helicopters
1. Cars, use your machine gun on these, it does major damage, if your pilot fly’s steady, just aim a bit in front of the car, and you destroy it in a instance, also if you get shot at from the car, blaze at the top-middle of the car so you kill the gunner faster.
2. Boats, Most people use TV guided on these babes, dumb, if you realize how light armored they are, just blaze away with your machine gun. Guaranteed kills in 4/5 seconds.
4. Enemy Helicopters, many people underestimate the damage of machine guns on a enemy chopper, the actually do quite a lot of damage, but blazing a full health chopper is a bit hard.
But when your little friend is smoking (white or black) don’t be afraid to gun away, he will get on fire in a matter of seconds, again here, aim in front of the helicopter, and if he is right in front of you, aim for the rotor blades (since a helicopter always get lift, everyone is pressing the W key like mad)
Solo-gunning is something different, using the machine gun when your alone in your chopper, this isn’t real hard but demands some practice, always swing your chopper to the left will nosing down about 10 degrees, switch seats, blast in burst, switch back and steady out, repeat this till all the targets are history.
The TV Guided
If you master this babe, you will be one of the most devastating forces on the battlefield, there are some tricks to master it.
First of all know WHEN to use them
And sometimes stinger sites, if your pilot gives you a clean shot of it.
So you see a tank, you spot it and the pilot notices, he turns around and lines you up perfectly, what should you do?
1. Press the right mouse button once to enter the guided missile screen (duh)
2. Watch if the tank is moving, stationary? One click anywhere on the tank is enough, moving? Aim for the front of the tank, and if it moves a little faster then you had expected, no worries, if you click left mouse button the missiles impact point will be updated, so if you keep clicking on the center of the tank
3. Miss or hit? Did you miss or hit it? Doesn’t matter if you miss, the pilot will most likely turn around, and if he is a fag, he will shout at you: nub! Ignore that shit, they act like they learned it right away, everyone must learn sometime!
That’s for tanks, same counts for APC’s, only they move a tad little faster, so you must guide it a bit more, now for the most advanced subject, helicopters..
Really hitting choppers, flying, or hovering isn’t really hard, practice and tactics count here. This is going to be the biggest section in this guide, since I haven’t really seen a good guide about these things against choppers.
You need to know some things to hit choppers:
Range of your missile, its 450 meters, nothing more, nothing less, unless you hit a tree.
What type of chopper, black hawk or attack chopper, different speed, different tactics.
Heading of the chopper, flying fast? Hovering? Flying fast in what direction?
And most people don’t really know, where to hit choppers, I cant really tell you that, because every computer/bf2 is different, I need to hit my targets on the tail the most time, otherwise it will just go clean trough, in this factor.
The key to hitting choppers, is predict, predict and predict again, smoking chopper? He is going to repair, and what do choppers do when they repair? Yes land, or hover, so try and keep quiet until the enemy landing pad, then send a TV rocket right up their arse!
If you have a look at this movie
I will try and give you some tactics that improve your change of hitting a chopper, first I take down a plane, Ill give you some tactics for that in the next chapter.
Then a good example of predictability, their pilot sees me, and lines the gunner up for a clean TV shot right away, I’m a tad bit faster, but my gunner doesn’t align me up right at all, so I have to take my shot early, I guide it in by the side, for a larger surface for my missile to hit, and if you shoot it right at the chopper, chances are it will scratch the surface of the chopper, not exploding.
The next example is of a flying chopper, who doesn’t notice me, this guy fly’s like a straight line, so its very easy for me to guide the missile to in front of the chopper, Notice I keep clicking in front of the chopper. I hit it right in his side, close to the tail section where I need to hit it.
Next you see a chopper taking off; many people miss these, because they don’t realize it’s a stationary object! Click once man!
The tank speaks for itself, flying slower means your rockets will hit closer to the target marker.
The chopper way above me, I saw him because he missed the TV guided and I heard a big bang behind me, also someone spotted the thing so I knew where to turn, you see I aim for the tail right away, since this chopper isn’t really moving, I am not predicting as much as in example 3.
Next is a slowing down plane, these are easy to hit, go to the next chapter if you wish to know how.
Another chopper, I see him do stupid stuff like barrel rolls, you are harder to hit that way, but once you need to fire your missile you will have to go steady, so I am just waiting for that moment, the guy lines his gunner up for a shot of the chopper right of me, I give him a missile against the rockets pods.
Another target that doesn’t expect me to hit them, element of surprise ftw! I’m above him so I can decide where to hit him, how to hit him and when to hit him.
So, I fire it against its tail, kill.
This is an example of solo-gunning, explained in the gunners section.
Its going down to 3 basic rules here:
1. Surprise if available
2. Fire, predict, hit tail (in my case)
3. Enjoy the wreckage falling down, teabag if necessary
And don’t expect to be a TV guided professional immediately, I miss occasionally, I’m on
a kill / fire ratio on 6 / 10 now (6 kills out of 10 shots)
So actually I am a nub too. Yes I AM A NUB AND IM PROUD OF IT.
Credits going out to [KNTL] liquidat0r for helping me with aligning and stuff!
If you have something too add, please tell me in this a thread, feel free to add me to xfire, and remember, I never said I’m the best, never will.
Major credit going out to http://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/ for the images about the choppers!
Email: [email protected]
Dude what are you doing here! GO ON THE BF AND PWN!
Mobb wrote a little article how to evade pro jet pilots, very usefull
I found this tactic to be usefull to to evade jets:
||3rb||MOBB wrote:awsome post and I think a complete guide is few and far between and this is one of the most thorough I've seen. I'm mainly a jet whore and just wanted to bring up certain issue regarding what you wrote about turning and firing your missles at jets. this is effective against rookie pilots but I highly recommend you DO NOT do this against seasoned fighter or bomber pilots.
I usually take down helicopters on the first pass 4 out of 5 times, and when I do this there is no warning lock I aim for your canopy (since I sometimes shoot out the pilot) because it does more damage than anywhere else and boom the helo falls out of the sky, I'll initially come from your 4 oclock to 5 oclock position or 7 to 8 oclock position WITH NO LOCK TONE. If you see a pilot doing this or variation of this, take note and counter, heres what I found makes a hard target for me when engaging an attack helo and if you want to survive at least some of the time when in a helo against a veteran jet pilot here's what makes life harder for us(assuming your fighter pilot is not doing his job, shooting down jets)
before I go into these maneuvers which I know for a fact evade most pilots THEY WILL NOT WORK ON VERY GOOD PILOTS WHO KILL ON ONE PASS WITHOUT GIVING YOU A MISSLE WARNING!!! only your fighter jet can stop this. now if he needs two passes to take you down keep reading, this is how your going to survive...
1. youll only have about 6 to 7 seconds to do this so be quick about it, right after he makes his first pass, drop between buildings or other solid objects (IE. hills, mountains, hangers ect) so your covered by at least 2 sides, like between two buildings. Your going to have to literaly drop close to the ground about 10 feet off of it and wait about 10 seconds and pray you dont get towed, tv'd ect. This works mainly because I cant spot you visually and I cant scan with anti air on and turn it off the second I see you.
***IMPORTANT*** PILOTS CAN SCAN WITH ANTI AIR ON, ONCE THEY SEE YOU TURN IT OFF AND YOU WONT HEAR A SINGLE TONE ENABLEING THEM TO SNEAK UP ON YOU!!!
after the ten seconds go by you should be clear to get your ass to the helo pad for repairs but again, you want to keep your head on a swivel, alot of times if I engage a helo and for some miracle evades me I know where your going (the helo pad for repairs...Duh), and yes I'll be waiting, If you have two helipads like on gulf of oman, I highly recommend you change up which helo pad you repair and rearm at time to time, IT WILL SAVE YOUR ASS. IMPORTANT!!! if you see him fly by you after you take cover between the buildings, assume he saw you and is coming back for a third pass, and change location...QUICKLY. believe me when I say this, If I have to take 3 passes to kill you I leave myself open at low altitude for a very long time to the enemy fighter getting on my ass and shooting me down or enemy ground AA shooting me, which brings up another very important issue, if Im up in the air and your being engaged by an enemy jet or attack helo....SPOT THE SOB!!!! even if your totally off on location I'll check my map for whos flashing after jet or helo spotted sounds and I'll be coming to your location within 10 seconds,
***if no cover available go to option 2 below***
2. Some maps like WAKE have no building to hide between or very sparse cover, PALM TREES PROVIDE NO COVER AND VIRTUALLY NO CONCEALMENT VS JETS!!!! the concealment might work against other attack helos or ground forces but not jet pilots who know what they are doing...period. How do I evade jets if I cant duck between buildings or duck in between hills? you might ask? Assuming he didnt kill you the first pass, you just want to start gaining altitude as fast as possible go straight up and face away from the direction you think he might be coming from (explained below in what not to do), alot of times you can gain enough altitude that the jet will lose you entirely or youll at least screw up his second attack run (yes this has even caught me off guard once or twice). again aftter pass #2 you want to change location, now you want to nose the helo down and take it as low as you can go as quickly as possible, this willl take the jet pilot to attack run #3, hopfully your spotting the hell out of this guy because like I said before, if you have a pilot on yoru side with any ounce of skill, he will engage the enemy jet and clear your six. Change this up though, If you get lit up again on the third pass sometimes keep climbing to prevent being predictable ( also jets go a little faster at around 300 feet) However, DO NOT keep climbing after the third pass ever though, if hes determined to kill you, he'll come up under you or If hes smart and determined to kill you, he'll climb to 700 feet and come down on you which is lethal ( i'll explain why later)
the above two tactics are further enhanced if you can do them above known freindly aa stations, (explained later in this guide)
these two evasion tactics are for if you are getting shot down like clockwork BUT... very important but, it takes at least two passes for him to kill you, a single pass helo kill is very difficult to counter for a helo. On that note I want to bring up a few things I've seen that dont work and just make you look outright bad before you die.
1. Dont do flips and loopty loops, why you might ask? I just have to aim at your base of the rotor, that spot is your pivot point and you will still die the second pass since I only have to adjust slightly with guns to hit that spot, secondly, your going to run out of altitude or better yet smack something stationary,(I see the latter alot) and kind of shrug and move onto the next target chuckling.
2. DONT face the helo!!!, you present the highest damage portion of the helo which is the cockpit, the cockpit takes the fewest hits to take down the helos, I've seen alot of posts from other helo pilots recommending to face attacking jets, omg!!! dont do it if the pilot of the jet knows what he is doing, your making his job easier, you actually want to maneuver so your rear is facing him if possible but dont fly away from him, it gives him more time empty rounds into you, instead pull back ward a bit, this will make it so the jet has to empty rounds into a smaller target thats not as vulnerable as your cockpit for a shorter time. When I know a pilot will consistantly face me and fire missles, One tactice that works very well on attack helicpoters is this, I climb high above him, I then come down on him with guns blazing, and time my missle to actually lock at the last possible moment and fire, the missle always hits. I'm not sure if it's the same situation when your just sitting on the helipad and the flares just fall down away from the helo but the missle just always hits, ever since the game came out for all the patches. so if you want to face me and fire, go ahead but youve been warned. reason why I dont do the last method as the most preferable is because it uses a missle and I like to save those for other jets,
***KNOW THY ENEMY***
as a jet fighter pilot, I have a targeting priority this is it and yes it is very simple yet flexible.
1. Kill jets
2. kill AA/KILL HELICOPTERs (interchangeable depending on map and circumstances)
when I shoot down the enemy fighter jet, I know I have 30 seconds (on most maps) to find the attack helo and shoot him down before the enemy fighter gets back up, why is this important you might ask? because you now know that when being engaged by a GOOD FIGHTER PILOT that he is aware that he needs to shoot you down quickly to be able to reengage the enemy jet, also if I get locked on by enemy AA while engageing an attack guess who I'm going to go after?(the aa if you didnt figure it out) since he is actually a threat to me, that buys you enough time to get out of the hot zone.
these are some things you can do to evade the better pilots, and this guide is written specifically to evade better pilots, not noobs, yes there plenty of evasion tactics that work on green pilots and they are not hard to evade also green pilots also smack the ground alot of times if I just lock onto them going in for a bombing run, so if nothing else, just put this in your toolbox and use it if you want but know this, I value a good attack helicopter on my team because I know how effective they are on armor when they are not dodging other jets, other attack helos and enemy AA, so I facilitate their mission with my targeting priority (see above) hence, I want them to survive, so they kill the maximum amount of armor, so we win. I hope this helps, If you have any specific questions for me I'm more than happy to answer, If I dont know Ill be honest and tell you that. I hope If your on my team that you use this and you do your job, kill armor and infantry. thanks for listening,
What I do when I get damaged by a jet (goes very fast with no lock tone, faster then a 50. cal, go low indeed, what I also find helpfull to do, it face the jet, and make a hard right, like in the following movie:
you see I go 90 degrees on my side, which makes me a harder object to hit, and a faster since my throttle is faced to the right to.
The fourth manouvre I use against slowdown jets, the biggest noobs in the aviator history, what do you think of them MOBB?
fifth is just some flying low, which I not very often do only if there are 2 good jetwhores on the other team, to give my gunner a better shot
and hey to be honest flying 6 feet above the ground, at 300 kmph, takes some practice so dont sweat it when u crash into a latern (I avoid those for a reason )
oh and Cactusfist I use a mouse and keyboard, with the mx1000 as a mouse
Last edited by elmo1337 (2006-07-22 02:16:56)