wanderlost
+20|6562|Des Moines, IA
As I've mentioned before, I've been viewing these forums for almost 8 months now, and about 1 month ago I decided to stop lurking...  One thing (of many) that drives me nuts, but makes for amusing reading are threads like this one:  http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=28321 

Fancy Pollux wrote a nice little "tongue in cheek" guide to the lighter side of a major problem in BF2 - chopper stealing.  If you actually read his post, I don't think it could be any more obvious that he was joking, making light of, and highlighting how stupid many chopper / tank whores can be.

BUT THIS ISN'T THE FUNNY PART!

The funny part happens when the smack tards start coming out of the wood work thinking he's actually advocating that people do this! They say things like, "ummm, people like you ruin the game," or "you're an asshole", or my favorite, "try that on my server and I'll ban you!"  I'm sure they even give the poor bastard negative Karma. 

Please read the following definition of "sarcasm" here - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm before posting in the future.  Wait - on second thought, don't bother... It's pretty funny for those of us who understand the humor behind the original post.

edit: spelling

Last edited by wanderlost (2006-06-07 11:39:04)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6660
Such people are everywhere, and will always exist. There is nothing you can do about it, really. they are the people who've made everything from runway blocking to cheating (hacking, for the misinformed) come into existence.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Pappy2
+18|6673|Chicago
come with an attitude, sarcasm and dictonary on my server buddy , you'll be perma ban!
wanderlost
+20|6562|Des Moines, IA

Pappy2 wrote:

come with an attitude, sarcasm and dictonary on my server buddy , you'll be perma ban!
Now THAT's funny...  Good example. 
-r3-anubis
+73|6544|florida
I use sarcasm everyday, I find nothing wrong with it. Its funny and even funnier when you piss off some person you don't even know on BF 2.
Hacial
404 - Not Found
+107|6627
Have you ever thought, that here are people who don't speak english naturally? Like me, I'm finnish. So if it's not one of my mother tongues, I think it's hard to find sarcasm on foreign language! I know sarcasm when I see it (in my own language) but I can't identify sarcasm on other languages, just because I don't speak it so good! I have english abilities to communicate with people but I'm not good enough to understand sarcasm on english!

Like this was really hard to explain because it's no so common language.
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6845

wanderlost wrote:

smack tards
That is pretty much all you had to say.

They are every were and the internet lets them crawl out from under the rock they live under.
wanderlost
+20|6562|Des Moines, IA

Hacial wrote:

Have you ever thought, that here are people who don't speak english naturally? Like me, I'm finnish. So if it's not one of my mother tongues, I think it's hard to find sarcasm on foreign language! I know sarcasm when I see it (in my own language) but I can't identify sarcasm on other languages, just because I don't speak it so good! I have english abilities to communicate with people but I'm not good enough to understand sarcasm on english!

Like this was really hard to explain because it's no so common language.
You're right, I didn't think of that.  However, if a person doesn'tunderstand the colloqial nature of a web-forum - you shouldn't flame a person for what (could be) a joke...  Most of the people on the forums that do the flaming speak English as their first language (rather poorly actually).
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6774|UK
I am NOT being anti american, but the majority of your country dont get quite a few forms of humour and thats why alot of british humour isnt funny to you.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6753|Houston, TX
I can understand why Fancy_Pollux is easy to misinterpet from an ESL* point of view.  But some of the flaming from other forum members in the aforementioned post are alittle excessive. 

I replied here.  People definitely need to take their finger off the trigger, or at least loosen their grip.  Fancy even goes so far as to say that he doesn't advocate TK's later in the thread.  C'mon people, laugh alittle!

KJ

*ESL = English Second Language (for all you EOL's out there)
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6701|San Francisco
Sarcasm is extremely hard to get across in a written medium such as an online forum.  Usually, people who are native English speakers will be able to notice it:

"Wow, you are SOOOOOOOO Awesome "
"Air is overrated."

Usually you can designate it by exaggerating your text or adding emoticons...but the breadth of people who will actually not identify sarcasm in forum prose seems to generally be growing.  You just have to be wary about that, and understand that this is not AIM nor IRC...it's a diverse written board that can be checked at all times of the day from all around the world, but not necessarily in the same sense as if of the users on here were in a big room talking to each other.

Perhaps you could try using the sarcasm tags:

<sarcasm>Marconius is the best knifer in the world!  I loves him!</sarcasm>
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6739|Peoria, Illinois

Marconius wrote:

Sarcasm is extremely hard to get across in a written medium such as an online forum.

Bingo! How is one to know? Sarcasm is much easier to pick up in the tone of voice. In text, there is no way of knowing without some kind of a hint. Claiming he does this all the time will not sufficiently cover those who do not know him nor have read his posts before.
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6736|Louisiana

Marconius wrote:

Sarcasm is extremely hard to get across in a written medium such as an online forum.  Usually, people who are native English speakers will be able to notice it:

"Air is overrated."

Usually you can designate it by exaggerating your text or adding emoticons...but the breadth of people who will actually not identify sarcasm in forum prose seems to generally be growing.  You just have to be wary about that, and understand that this is not AIM nor IRC...it's a diverse written board that can be checked at all times of the day from all around the world, but not necessarily in the same sense as if of the users on here were in a big room talking to each other.

Right, sarcasm is hard to convey in simple text. But adding "sarcasm tags" would ruin the effect of the joke. I use sarcasm a lot and personally I find it hilarious when people don't pick up on it
TurDlich
Recovering Karkand Addict
+8|6660|Bottom of the bowl
<sarcasm> I will never use fake html tags for things I say. </sarcasm>  Oh wait, that's irony.   
TurDlich [semantics] TurDlich
=|A mere Shadow|=
The Anarchist
+121|6634|Britain and Damn proud of it!

xintegrityx wrote:

Marconius wrote:

"Air is overrated."

Right, sarcasm is hard to convey in simple text. But adding "sarcasm tags" would ruin the effect of the joke. I use sarcasm a lot and personally I find it hilarious when people don't pick up on it
True using sarcasm tags somewhat neutralizes the joke unless your making it REALLY obvious like 'ZOMGZZZ CH337Z ARE TEH L337!! /end sarcasm'
SaladForks
/ph34r
+129|6589|Eastern USA
What's sarcasm?

[/sarcasm]
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6613|Greenwood, IN
Wanderlost, most people do know sarcasim but they don't know how to read it on the internet.  Its a totaly different way of communication than when face to face with a person.  And about that thread you posted I did'nt even realize it was sarcasim till you just said.  I thought it was just some idiot coming on here trying to start shit cause it would'nt be the first time.
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6739|Peoria, Illinois

xintegrityx wrote:

Marconius wrote:

"Air is overrated."

If you don't want to use sarcasm tags, try being a little more obvious with it like in this thread.
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6772|Toronto Canada
i AM sarcasm
wanderlost
+20|6562|Des Moines, IA

Brizzzer wrote:

Wanderlost, most people do know sarcasim but they don't know how to read it on the internet.  Its a totaly different way of communication than when face to face with a person.  And about that thread you posted I did'nt even realize it was sarcasim till you just said.  I thought it was just some idiot coming on here trying to start shit cause it would'nt be the first time.
I agree, however, I think in general my point is that some people on this forum (not necessarily this post) have FAR too tight a grip on life and seem to be waiting to jump on people that are trying (some say obviously) to make a joke.

The example I picked seems pretty clear he's joking.  I'd just like to see people read something and think for about 10 seconds (but I'd settle for 5) before getting their zippo and lighter fluid out.  It's almost as bad as some 12 year old paging down after running out on the runway of their own airbase on foot...
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6634|Warlord
Humour is not universal so please don't lecture us on what 'should' be funny. Assuming one wants to be sarcastic, lowest form of wit though it may be, without tone of voice as a guide it needs to be made obvious by some other means.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6769

Didn't know sarcasm was a subject.
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6772|Toronto Canada
i was "taught" what sarcasm was this year. that and satire. not that i really had to have it explained.
sharpshot19
Copenhage master
+30|6704|minnesota

Vilham wrote:

I am NOT being anti american, but the majority of your country dont get quite a few forms of humour and thats why alot of british humour isnt funny to you.
god damn brits...always think they're better than us. we showed you fuckers once (in the revolution ), we'll sure as hell show you again!.......

see second page............

Last edited by sharpshot19 (2006-06-07 18:58:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard