irok100
+114|6648
aye... thankyou
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine
I use a G5 aswell. You said you use 400DPI for sniping, but what is your BF2 mouse sensitivity on? Mine is on .7, because the G5 is so incredibly sweet/fast.
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6720|Indianapolis, IN

Nyte wrote:

I try my best to diversify across maps but almost all servers out there rotate Karkand like every other game.
But yet what percentage of your total time played is at Karkand?
Nearly 27% of the time you play karkand, how is that diversifying.

I know, I know, all I play is karkand but for someone to say that they try to diversify and then play over a quarter of their time at one map is kind of hypocritical.

Edit: Sorry I read that phrase wrong.  But still you can find 24/7 maps elsewhere or if you look hard enough maps where karkand isnt there much.

Last edited by The_Mob_Returns (2006-06-07 11:44:27)

Main_E_ak
That sky looks like ground...
+6|6548|UK

Nyte wrote:

- Putting a dot in the middle of your monitor (You can use a small sticker). You might be thinking about non-scoped kills. HELL NO.  The dot in the middle of your monitor is solely for zooming in on the target without much deviation.  Most snipers usually zoom in close to their target but never ON the target, they therefore waste time trying to center their reticule on the enemy.  By using the dot, you can zoom in fairly close to your target every single time and thereby reduce line-up times.  I probably have the fastest line-up time in the world due to this strategy alone.
You actually do this??

Considering the amount of time you've spent looking down a scope you should know where the centre of your monitor is by now. The scope should be scarred into your retinas.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
No, mouse doesn't matter.
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6786|Barrie Ontario
The only thing u need to do while playing bf2 is have fun and dont be a retard, if you do that you will own face.
TurDlich
Recovering Karkand Addict
+8|6651|Bottom of the bowl

CrazeD wrote:

I use a G5 aswell. You said you use 400DPI for sniping, but what is your BF2 mouse sensitivity on? Mine is on .7, because the G5 is so incredibly sweet/fast.
I am interested in this as well.  I do switch DPI in game for sniping and tank gunning.  My in game sens. is 1.1 at the mid DPI setting, any higher seems a bit fast.  Ill try the lower 400 DPI and crank the in game up and see how that works.  Thanks for providing a pretty good guide Nyte.  No matter what proclamations are made about Nyte's skills or personality, the guide is a good start for anyone wanting to better their sniping.
I would also add that when capping a flag as a sniper, know the cap area well.  Find a small spot that's in the zone but out of the way.  EX: SF Mass D. Train yard under the front stairs...don't know how many times the enemy have run right in front of me and never see me there.  Another big tip, people are more likely to see you when you move.  So if you are capping a flag and are using cover (ground shadows, bushes, boxes, etc.) try not to move too much.  I try to be very still and patient, which has worked well for me.  Close quarters sniping can be just as sweet when you are stealthy.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6626|Warlord

Nyte wrote:

A short guide on how to be a player close to my calibre
You know most of the time I'm convinced you don't take your own rep seriously and you're just posting for the fun but if I'm wrong, seriously, as good as you undoubtedly are get over it already.

There are better players than you.
There are better snipers than you (by any number of standards).

Nyte wrote:

M95... Lowest bullet drop.
Achem, lowest bullet drop??? You don't use it at range much do you?

As far as DPI goes I snipe with just one setting and I know there must be a bunch more people who do but I'm willing to be convinced that dropping it from high to low will help, just never had the chance to use a mouse like that.

Nyte wrote:

...the hotel at Karkand (The smallest flag cap area in all the maps)
Wrong.

Nyte wrote:

If you are facing the latter sniper, they normally have amazing accuracy (This is how you should play)...
Easier said than done

Nyte wrote:

...these snipers tend to do the 180 degree turn during a jump to fool you but when they land-prone, they are facing you and have the perfect shot lined up.  The only counter I have for this is you do the same thing.  The other 2 types of snipers are easy kills as they tend to be living in the breathe-shoot mindset, just do a jump-prone-shoot-crouch-repeat and they will miss 99% of their shots.
Nice... if you have the computer and connection to do this. With my connection, especially since 1.3, there are almost no servers with little enough lag to do this sort of thing effectively. I was playing last night with a ping pretty consistently around 24 and some guy with a ping about a hundred higher was outsniping me in pop-up contests because I had to pause so long to let the aim settle.

Nyte wrote:

...fairly accurate guns and they do not rely on proning so headshots are a bit harder.  In these situations, it is ok to hit them in the body with the sniper rifle, just switch to pistol fast and fire some shots at them to take them out.  Most... players will run when they have 2 bars of health, this is the perfect opportunity to take out your pistol.  Some... players will actually continue to try and kill you even with 2 health bars, a pistol or grenade will do in this case.
As a general observation, not limited to one class: if you're up against even moderately-skilful players by the time a sniper has pulled the pistol, much less even gotten a grenade out (forget tossing it), he's dead because they're shooting continuously and they only have to hit us three or four times.

Delphy wrote:

And yeah Nyte is arrogant, but have you seen his vids? He is good.
True but not a few of the opponents are pretty noobish.

A mere Shadow|= wrote:

Come on one of our TV2 24/7 servers we got most maps 24/7 with 20 rounds a game, its pretty fun.
I play on them a fair bit and there's a good range of players but the ping would be pretty awful for Nyte.

Hyper wrote:

GermanLegionaire wrote:

the only thing i like in nyte's stats is his sniper rifle acc. the rest seems very average to me.
and we all know accuracy with a sniper rifle is a joke
Not really if you examine the related stats with care it's clear if the person is only doing safe shots to get artificially-high accuracy.

Main_E_ak wrote:

Nyte wrote:

- Putting a dot in the middle of your monitor...
You actually do this??

Considering the amount of time you've spent looking down a scope you should know where the centre of your monitor is by now. The scope should be scarred into your retinas.
LOL
marty
+2|6564
Snipers is usless in 1vs1 close combat, and usless in overall.
bennisboy
+829|6645|Poundland

irok100 wrote:

Nyte... all i have to say,l is your acuracy is high because u don't take alot of risky shots....Most of the people who praise ur vids don't snipe much. Yes you get alot of kills, but the way you play alone doesn't make u a sniper idol, and god.. pft, ur not THAT good, i think we can reserver the god position for a better sniper out there... and i can't wait for your montage, set the bar, so i cn make a better one im much less time
I've seen this guys videos they do wipe the floor wid most of your shots
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6620|Gold coast, Aus.
marty. that where you are wrong. You haven't seen a sniper that plays like this obviously. Well, not a half decent one. We kill one shot. they don't.  I reckon this should be a feature.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6677|Middle of nowhere

Chillin&killin wrote:

lets face it the i wont argue you cap alot of flags and kill alot of people but if your style of gaming works on the servers you play on then the oppostion are noobs being consistantly killed by close range snipers is a sign that you should not play. i havent capped many flags but i play methodically not attack gung-ho like you my k/d ratio proves it.
i think THIS guy should write a guide....

+1 for awesome sniper stats m8
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6751|Toronto, ON
One thing also is that everyone thinks close-ranged sniping is so easy.  I'd like for someone to make a video demonstrating how "easy" it is.

When you are sniping close-ranged, you have to take into consideration:
- Superior Line-up time (The most crucial)
- Headshot capability (Important nonetheless)
- Movement/Dodge (Definitely crucial if you miss your shot)
- Leading targets/prediction
- Superior knowledge of the surroundings
- No need for bullet drop prediction
- No need for bullet speed prediction

This is VASTLY different from the 400m+ sniping which involves:
- Leading target/prediction (Which in another thread of mine, I state that there is more luck to this due to hitbox issues).
- Bullet drop prediction (Crucial)
- Line-up time (Not as important as it is in close-ranged sniping)
- Bullet speed prediction (At 400m, it takes a shot to get to its target in about 0.5 seconds as opposed to instant at close range)
- Average knowledge of the surroundings
- Artillery consideration
- Nearly no Movement/Dodge consideration

My gripe with long range sniping is that sometimes you can never be sure your target is fully dead... A medic will run along and revive him/her and both run away while you miss your 2 targets.  With close-range sniping, you can be waiting for a medic to come and now the enemy has 2 less tickets.  Lots of other points I'd like to make but can't think of them right now.

Two different ideologies, two different snipers.
Alpha as fuck.
gene_pool
Banned

irok100 wrote:

Nyte... all i have to say,l is your acuracy is high because u don't take alot of risky shots....Most of the people who praise ur vids don't snipe much. Yes you get alot of kills, but the way you play alone doesn't make u a sniper idol, and god.. pft, ur not THAT good, i think we can reserver the god position for a better sniper out there... and i can't wait for your montage, set the bar, so i cn make a better one im much less time
I take it you mean that his KDR isn't that high. Well maybe if you look at the WAY he snipes then you get teh answer......
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6619
you could not be stupid pop him once and get the pistol kill
Jackabo
+127|6557|Dublin, Ireland
stop showing off
ssonrats
+221|6644
"just do a jump-prone-shoot-crouch-repeat and they will miss 99% of their shots"

WTF are you a fucking bunny? They can kill you with the pistol or knife quite easily even with your bullshit evasion techniques.

You won't beat a good assault player close up, never.
dont_be_ss
+312|6592|selby, n. yorkshire, UK
long range sniping involves "Average knowledge of the surroundings", i disagree with you there if you don't know the map well you won't know where to hide, finding the right hiding spot is crucial to get a respectfull k/d ratio.
gene_pool
Banned
Father, Father, Father help us
Send us some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love (Love)

Where is the love (The love)
Where is the love (The love)
Where is the love
The love, the love

[manly voice] ok. enough love

Seriously guys. stop flaming. these forums are just flaming now. No mre of the usual "oh congrats man. wesome stuff" and when someoen does make a thread/guide like this they get flamed. Why do people ven bother?
I might go to bed. I am tired and a it pissed off at a useless team on wake. I mean come on. our squad single handedly cappd airfield. then the entire team stands around for a fuckign jet. and we lose it then get raped to oblivion again and tehn...ARRR!!!![/manly voice]

Last edited by gene_pool (2006-06-07 12:41:53)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

"CLOSE RANGE SNIPING" is an oxymoron fool.

SNIPER: the definition

The term sniper is attested from 1824 in the sense of "sharpshooter". The verb to snipe originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India in the sense of "to shoot from a hidden place", in allusion to snipe hunting, a game bird known for being difficult to sneak up on. Those who were skilled at the hunting of this bird were dubbed a Sniper. It is supposed that said title followed the hunter home, entering some conversation, and became common slang for one who is a skilled marksman.

The term thus emphasizes field craft and skills of camouflage as well as marksmanship, and is typically used of infantry soldiers so skilled, specializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distances.

The term thus emphasizes field craft and skills of camouflage as well as marksmanship, and is typically used of infantry soldiers so skilled, specializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distances.specializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distancesspecializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distancesspecializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distancesfucking read up on material before you think. close range sniping is not sniping, its assault
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6709|Sweden
if you are close up and using a sniperrifle.. it sure sounds like sniping for me.
and this is a game it´s not the kit it´s the player....
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6832
Why are snipers so conceited? We had a guy in our clan that was ALL sniper and he was the biggest ass of all time. Needless to say he got on our nerves and we kicked him out. He wasn't even that good.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

stryyker wrote:

"CLOSE RANGE SNIPING" is an oxymoron fool.

SNIPER: the definition

The term sniper is attested from 1824 in the sense of "sharpshooter". The verb to snipe originated in the 1770s among soldiers in British India in the sense of "to shoot from a hidden place", in allusion to snipe hunting, a game bird known for being difficult to sneak up on. Those who were skilled at the hunting of this bird were dubbed a Sniper. It is supposed that said title followed the hunter home, entering some conversation, and became common slang for one who is a skilled marksman.

The term thus emphasizes field craft and skills of camouflage as well as marksmanship, and is typically used of infantry soldiers so skilled, specializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distances.

specializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distances
specializing in killing selected enemies from concealment with a rifle at long distances
fucking read up on material before you think. close range sniping is not sniping, its assaultBut most of the kills on Tom Berenger's Sniper movie were done at close to medium range.

But how about the Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) and their SAM-R's.  If this was possible in BF2, this would be my preferred "Assault" role.    Gimme an SVD/Type88/M4 and armor, and forget the claymore/guile suit.

Last edited by Ilocano (2006-06-07 14:01:53)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

madmurre wrote:

if you are close up and using a sniperrifle.. it sure sounds like sniping for me.
the definition of sniper is a skilled, LONG RANGE killer
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6832

stryyker wrote:

madmurre wrote:

the definition of sniper is a skilled, LONG RANGE killer
qft

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard