slo5oh
+28|6653
(sorry I posted this in "bf2 - help!" also)

Tring out a 19" wide screen to see if I like it...
I've set my start icon to ""D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1440 +szy 900"
(yes it's on the D: drive)
I've tried changing the video setting in c:\docu...\name\mydocs\profiles\default (and 001)\video.con file.  When I set just the 001 (current user account) it lets me go as far as to try and connect to my online profile.  As soon as it does connect it crashes to the desktop.  If I change the default it crashes before it displays anything.

If I force it to go 1440x900 it crashes to desktop, if not everything is stretched (wide obviously) so I think it's running 800x600 and stretching it or something.

I don't want to switch back to my regular 19" just for BF2.  I'm really starting to like everything else on this widescreen.
-r3-anubis
+73|6529|florida
I have a 19 inch monitor and it can only go to 1280 x 1024, if i tried the thing you did then it would probably destory me 7800 gtx and my monitor.
slo5oh
+28|6653

-r3-anubis wrote:

I have a 19 inch monitor and it can only go to 1280 x 1024, if i tried the thing you did then it would probably destory me 7800 gtx and my monitor.
My new "widescreen" LCD's native resolution is 1440x900.
vjs
+19|6763
Hey slo5oh,

I had this problem before on a regular monitor when I messed witht he video.con files.

There are actually two files which have to be changed to the resolution of your choosing. I think one is under global the other in the profile like you were talkinga bout.

not sure if will help but try it anyways. Don't have my game machine here do a search for video.con on yours change every resolution in every file.

See what happens, I hope it doesn't look like junk, might be tough to fly a plane.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6798|Portland, OR, USA

Hmm, I didn't think you could play BF2 in widescreen mode. I thought it just stretched it to fit.

Hopefully that's the case anyway, else you could cheat by seeing a wider field of view.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
slo5oh
+28|6653

vjs wrote:

Hey slo5oh,
I had this problem before on a regular monitor when I messed witht he video.con files.
There are actually two files which have to be changed to the resolution of your choosing. I think one is under global the other in the profile like you were talkinga bout.
not sure if will help but try it anyways. Don't have my game machine here do a search for video.con on yours change every resolution in every file.
See what happens, I hope it doesn't look like junk, might be tough to fly a plane.
Thanks vjs,
I already found both though.  The reason there's 2 is because one is "default" and the other is for your profile (called 001).  I crash to the desktop with no error as soon as the system trys to load my 1440x900 resolution.  If I only change my profile, I can login to my account (username/password screen comes up), but it crashes after that.  If I change the default it crashes before it shows me anything.
If I leave the res at 1280x1024 it plays just fine, but it's stretching the screen and I know it.

Viper007Bond wrote:

Hmm, I didn't think you could play BF2 in widescreen mode. I thought it just stretched it to fit.  Hopefully that's the case anyway, else you could cheat by seeing a wider field of view.
I think it would be cool to have 2 screens so I could display a view from the back of myhead also!.   
Timelord_
+25|6530
I am running a monitor with the same native rez.

Head over to widescreengaming.com for more info.
vp747
+7|6550|Melbourne - Australia
Try replacing +fullscreen 1 with +widescreen 1

I'm still having issues trying to run mine 1680x1050
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6612|Mhz

If all else fails widescreen monitors should come with some software for it to pretend to be a normal monitor, puts black bars down each side so its basically just normal shaped monitor again (kinda defeats the object of having a widescreen i know) but at keast u'll b able to play.
bubbass
humble
+61|6561

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

If all else fails widescreen monitors should come with some software for it to pretend to be a normal monitor, puts black bars down each side so its basically just normal shaped monitor again (kinda defeats the object of having a widescreen i know) but at keast u'll b able to play.
That's not always a good thing. When I still used VGA cables it couldn't support wide screen and it had black bars on the side and it started to burn lines in my screen. Once I seen that happen I forked out some cash for DVI cables and went wide screen. Never looked back since then.
slo5oh
+28|6653

vp747 wrote:

I will try that, thank you!   (seems obvious... but I never woulda thought...)

bubbass wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

That's not always a good thing. When I still used VGA cables it couldn't support wide screen and it had black bars on the side and it started to burn lines in my screen. Once I seen that happen I forked out some cash for DVI cables and went wide screen. Never looked back since then.
Hope you didn't fork out too much... www.monoprice.com, best site I've found for all those SUPER OVERPRICED computer, tv, etc, cables.  I need to make another order one of these days, I pirated the DVI cable off my normal 19" for the new 19" wide screen.
bubbass
humble
+61|6561

slo5oh wrote:

Hope you didn't fork out too much... www.monoprice.com, best site I've found for all those SUPER OVERPRICED computer, tv, etc, cables.  I need to make another order one of these days, I pirated the DVI cable off my normal 19" for the new 19" wide screen.
Wow, talk about cheap! I paid like $100 for my DVI cables and I bought the cheap ones. Thanks for that link.
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6660|Sydney, Australia

slo5oh wrote:

(sorry I posted this in "bf2 - help!" also)

Tring out a 19" wide screen to see if I like it...
I've set my start icon to ""D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1440 +szy 900"
(yes it's on the D: drive)
I've tried changing the video setting in c:\docu...\name\mydocs\profiles\default (and 001)\video.con file.  When I set just the 001 (current user account) it lets me go as far as to try and connect to my online profile.  As soon as it does connect it crashes to the desktop.  If I change the default it crashes before it displays anything.

If I force it to go 1440x900 it crashes to desktop, if not everything is stretched (wide obviously) so I think it's running 800x600 and stretching it or something.

I don't want to switch back to my regular 19" just for BF2.  I'm really starting to like everything else on this widescreen.
change the fullscreen 1 to fullscreen 0 and see what the error message says when you crash.
Raider29
+0|6614
I have a 17" widescreen laptop that I can run BF2 on if I want to.  My video.com files are set to their default settings.  I can change the resolution in BF2 to 1440 X 900, as that is my screens native.  I haven't had any issues on the occasion I do play on the laptop.

So I would say, try putting your video.con files back to their original settings, deleting whatever folders are in your C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache folder and restart BF2.  Change your resolution in game and go for it.  That folder holds folders of all of your texture files for the particular video settings you have made.  Anytime you change your video settings, a new folder of texture files is made with the new settings. 

Hope this helps!
NMZ.UncleMoo™
+2|6561
My Laptops native Res is 1440 X 900, and everything worked fine until the 1.3 patch came out and killed my game.
slo5oh
+28|6653

slo5oh wrote:

vp747 wrote:

I will try that, thank you!   (seems obvious... but I never woulda thought...)
THAT WORKED!!!  widescreen instead of fullscreen worked!!!
The main screen still seems stretched, but in sniper view (or zoom on any rifle with a scope) the optic is ROUND
WHO HOOO!!!
Thanks!!!  I'm going to karma you to death if I can. 

Here's exactly what I did:
go into the C:\Documents and Settings\X(your user name)X\My Documents\Battlefield 2\profiles\default
open the video.con file and type rem (plus a space) in front of the resolution line
should read:
rem VideoSettings.setResolution 1280x1024@75Hz (or whatever your res was)
Do the same for C:\Documents and Settings\X(your user name)X\My Documents\Battlefield 2\profiles\001
Next set your desktop shortcut to force the correct video settings:
"D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1440 +szy 900"

I checked my video setting in game and it shows 800x600, but I think that's just a glitch since the game doesn't know what to do.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard