RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6584|Oxford
Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance.  So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room.  A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5.  He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in.  The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends.  He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day!  Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night.  We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent.  Where did the other dollar go????
broncobullfrog
Extra Tender Juicy SPINY
+58|6766|The 70's
three 'friends' in a room..hmmm
Three men in a room=Gay
Two men + one woman=still too gay for me
Two women+one man=Hot
Three women in a room=V.Hot!
rustynutz
I am British!
+124|6698|England and damn proud

broncobullfrog wrote:

three 'friends' in a room..hmmm
Three men in a room=Gay
Two men + one woman=still too gay for me
Two women+one man=Hot
Three women in a room=V.Hot!
Couldnt have said it better myself
DavidianCox
...from the internet
+60|6673|Birmingham
this has been posted before
Snafu_CrplKruz
+2|6643|Western Australia
1. the person who originally made this must have been a stoned magician or something

2. if they were given back "$5". they all together payed $25, add the $3 they were given back =$28, + $2 the retard took = $30

WOW!! that was hard
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6775|San Antonio, Texas

Snafu_CrplKruz wrote:

1. the person who originally made this must have been a stoned magician or something

2. if they were given back "$5". they all together payed $25, add the $3 they were given back =$28, + $2 the retard took = $30

WOW!! that was hard
LOLWTFBBQHAX!
Someone who can do math...
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6557|Texas - Bigger than France
The bellhop is one the three friends.
Snafu_CrplKruz
+2|6643|Western Australia
im in year 9 maths extention
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6566|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
The "extra dollar" is with the clerk.  It's hard to explain but I'll try....

At the end of this scenario the clerk has $25, bellboy has $2 and the friends have $3 which is $30.  The reason is looks like a dollar has gone missing is because it is worded so that you concentrate on the fact that the friends effectively paid $9 each for their room. 

If the clerk made a mistake and overcharged them by $5, it means they should have paid $25.  Now, $25 divided by 3 doesn't go (8.33 recurring) which is why this riddle works. 

It hard to explain but because the riddle is only using whole numbers it means that 3 lots of 0.3333333333333 are being kept by the clerk.....
uber73
+188|6767|Brisbane

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

It hard to explain but because the riddle is only using whole numbers it means that 3 lots of 0.3333333333333 are being kept by the clerk.....
exactly

they paid $25/3 + $3, which is $9.333333 each

$9.33 x3 = $28
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669
Originally Paid $30 - refund $3 - nicked bit $2 = $25.  Whoever wrote this adds the nicked bit to the $27 left after the refund, when they should deduct it from the $27 to find out how much was spent ($25).  The clerk doesn't have any missing dollar, and it's nothing to do with fractional numbers.  Listen to Snafu_CrplKruz.
uber73
+188|6767|Brisbane

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Originally Paid $30 - refund $3 - nicked bit $2 = $25.  Whoever wrote this adds the nicked bit to the $27 left after the refund, when they should deduct it from the $27 to find out how much was spent ($25).  The clerk doesn't have any missing dollar, and it's nothing to do with fractional numbers.  Listen to Snafu_CrplKruz.
its everything to do with the fraction of $1...  $25 cant be split evenly 3 ways..
go thinkl about it, and read my post above.  and fyi, im an accountant...

UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669

uber73 wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

its everything to do with the fraction of $1...  $25 cant be split evenly 3 ways..

You've missed the point.  They paid $27 on the room, and $2 went missing to the middleman between them and the clerk.  Nothing to do with fractional numbers.

EDIT: And the clerk was wrong anyway, they could have taken $1.50 each and put 50 cents in the love-o-matic vibrating bed which a dive that cheap is bound to have

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-06-02 07:29:04)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6775|San Antonio, Texas

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

uber73 wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

You've missed the point.  They paid $27 on the room, and $2 went missing to the middleman between them and the clerk.  Nothing to do with fractional numbers.
Has everything to do with fractions. Think about it...
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

uber73 wrote:

Has everything to do with fractions. Think about it...
$28 can't be split evenly either, so what?
uber73
+188|6767|Brisbane
someone throw him a life-ring, he is drowning here

UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669

Darth_Fleder wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

uber73 wrote:

You have a hard time with math.

3*$10=$30  Orginal amount paid
$30-$5=$25 After refund to bellhop
$25+$3=$28 Cost of room plus returned three bucks.
$28+stolen $2=$30 <---- no missing money

FYI, I am an engineer and have taken math past diffEQ and have taught math at the University level. The riddle is based upon misdirection.
Why are you saying I have a hard time with maths?  We just said the same thing that there is no missing dollar and the question is at fault.  I hope you are talking to Mr. Accountant when you say that.

$27 paid by customers-stolen $2=$25 with clerk<---- cost of room

Same outcome, different route
Erkut.hv
+124|6750|California
I agree with guy above... 3 guys sharing one room = uber-dee-doopity ghey.
2 guys + 1 girl = ghey, they just want a girl in the room to make them look straight
1 guy + 2 girls = big pimpin
3 girls = GGW wild video, w00t
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669
Mr. Accountant : Quit right now.  Seriously.  I know old accountants never die, but you have seriously lost your balance. 

EDIT:  Do you seriously still maintain that the clerk is in possession of the missing dollar, btw?

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-06-02 07:40:58)

Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6822|Orlando, FL - Age 43

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Why are you saying I have a hard time with maths?  We just said the same thing that there is no missing dollar and the question is at fault.  I hope you are talking to Mr. Accountant when you say that.

My bad....that's why I deleted the orginal post.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669

Darth_Fleder wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

My bad....that's why I deleted the orginal post.
Engineers FTW!  (I'm a Software Engineer, since everyone seems to want to state their credentials with their answers).
uber73
+188|6767|Brisbane

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

Mr. Accountant : Quit right now.  Seriously.  I know old accountants never die, but you have seriously lost your balance. 

EDIT:  Do you seriously still maintain that the clerk is in possession of the missing dollar, btw?
no.
i am not.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669
Here's a website with the answer for children for Mr. Accountant and his friends. 

http://www.naute.com/puzzles/puzzle1.phtml

QUIT YOUR JOB!!!!!!!!!!!
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6669

uber73 wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

exactly

they paid $25/3 + $3, which is $9.333333 each

$9.33 x3 = $28
ORLY?
uber73
+188|6767|Brisbane
dude, i might have picked up the riddle like everyone else, and u may be right, but u are making an almighty knobend of yourself...

see?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard