spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6732|Michigan
Ok, I have to ask. I see allot of posts on tweeks and people making changes to code to get things working smoothly.
Has anyone figured out a way to even slightly speed up the Verifying Client Data thing? (other than upgrading ram)
Am I missing something? What exactly is it verifying?

I searched to no avail. If I missed it along the way, sorry.
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6651
im pretty sure the only way u can get this time down is by increasing ram. sorry to state what you already knew., but how much ram do you have? i just bought a new computer with 1.5 gigs of ram (a huge upgrade from my old 512) and it cut down the time from minutes to less then 10 seconds.
rootbeer73
+24|6586|in a small dark place
i have 2x 512 ram
how do i know how many slots i have and how much  $ for more ram. say another gig?
MarkPuppets
+16|6694|from my PC
It's taking pretty long for me with this "verifying client data" thing. Before this patch, I was the first guy who was in the map but now, it takes up to 30 sec and many times, it CTD. I have 3GB ram with AMD 64 @3200+.

Last edited by MarkPuppets (2006-05-30 22:15:02)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6761|San Antonio, Texas

rootbeer73 wrote:

...how do i know how many slots i have...
Open up the case and look.

rootbeer73 wrote:

...how much  $ for more ram. say another gig?
About 50 USD. (1 GB of DDR 333)

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2006-05-30 22:15:30)

Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA
or use CPUZ to find out how many slots you have

edit: wait up on that
edit again: nvmcpuz should know

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-05-30 22:20:08)

spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6732|Michigan
Well, I have 1gig ram my wait is at least 1-2 min. I have not timed it. It may be more. I have time for a pee break when it's doing its thing!!!
rootbeer73
+24|6586|in a small dark place

spacebandit72 wrote:

Well, I have 1gig ram my wait is at least 1-2 min. I have not timed it. It may be more. I have time for a pee break when it's doing its thing!!!
lol me too
o yeah and make a smoke
uber73
+188|6753|Brisbane

MarkPuppets wrote:

It's taking pretty long for me with this "verifying client data" thing. Before this patch, I was the first guy who was in the map but now, it takes up to 30 sec and many times, it CTD. I have 3GB ram with AMD 64 @3200+.
i hear u... i have 2gig.
not sure its a ram issue..
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6732|Michigan
oops, I found the thread... it was in search. I swear I did'nt see it the first time! (was at work and did'nt want to get in trouble)

admin welcome to delete this!
doneyone
+30|6557|Holland Hardcore
Sorry but i want to reply, i have 2Gb of ram and it seems that verifying takes just as long as my other cpu with just 768mb of ram... how's that possible????
SuB
+50|6677
because not EVERYTHING relies on your ram..
i have 2gb and it takes a matter of seconds
.. why.. RAID 0 array of sata discs... fast ones
what've you guys got in relation to hard drive speed/model/brand/fragmentation ?
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6633|Derby, England

spacebandit72 wrote:

Ok, I have to ask. I see allot of posts on tweeks and people making changes to code to get things working smoothly.
Has anyone figured out a way to even slightly speed up the Verifying Client Data thing? (other than upgrading ram)

Problem - Taking along time to login
Cause - Many
Fix - First of it could be slow internet connection or a problem with the account server. However try this to see if it reduces the login time. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000*, In there find the file called general.con and make a copy of it on your desktop as a backup. Now open the general.con file in my documents with notepad, and delete all server-history and server-filter.
GeneralSettings.setServerFilter ""
GeneralSettings.addServerHistory

Peace Boris
bennisboy
+829|6647|Poundland

badhq wrote:

spacebandit72 wrote:

Cause - Many
Fix - First of it could be slow internet connection or a problem with the account server. However try this to see if it reduces the login time. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000*, In there find the file called general.con and make a copy of it on your desktop as a backup. Now open the general.con file in my documents with notepad, and delete all server-history and server-filter.

Peace Boris
Not being rude, I'm gonna try it, but why should this work?

Last edited by bennisboy (2006-05-31 06:57:54)

MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6776|EUR
Does the verification speed depend on RAM or Internet connection?

Thanks

Last edited by MuseSeeker (2006-05-31 06:37:36)

iCeMaN[USA]
+82|6576|Eastern USA
I'm pretty sure its internet connection.  I went from 512 MB of RAM to 2 GB and didn't notice a difference on verification.  I load 4x faster though
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6776|EUR
Nice, Do you think adding an extra gig with 2 xtra 512mb is a good idea? (i have 3 slots max)
DrM
+33|6622
I'm pretty sure that iCeMaN[USA] is correct and the verify of the client data is largely based on the internet connection [this said I have used a 512 DSL connection and not peaked it while loading or playing BF2].

But the entire load time between maps is not.
If you run task manager in the back ground and use the networking tab you will see the network activity [note that when BF2 is not the active window it gets very little CPU and runs very slow, use ALT+Tab to flick between windows to get and idea of what is going on].

In between maps the network activity is basically 0 [except for the verify]. On my PC the CPU is very quite during the loads as well.
I believe that most of the work is done by the hard disks and ram, taking the compressed games files for the next map and loading them into ram.
If you have at least 2Gb of RAM then the entire BF2 game can use ram rather than hard disk space used as pagefile. If you have less than 2Gb of ram I would recommend getting more to play BF2.

Ie if you have fast hard disks [I use a pair of Western Digital Raptors in RAID0] and fast RAM [Corsair 3500LL] then you are likely to be one of the first people into the new game [it is very rare for me to not be in the first 5 players of a map].

I hope this helps.

DrM

Last edited by DrM (2006-05-31 07:11:38)

^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6739|The Hague, Netherlands

Merged the two topics together
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Breez
+937|6633|Derby, England

bennisboy wrote:

badhq wrote:

spacebandit72 wrote:

Cause - Many

Peace Boris
Because I know it workes No more needs to be sead. try it if I'm wrong I will +1 you I'm prety sure I'm right.

Peace Boris
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6634|USA

Trigger_Happy_92 wrote:

im pretty sure the only way u can get this time down is by increasing ram. sorry to state what you already knew., but how much ram do you have? i just bought a new computer with 1.5 gigs of ram (a huge upgrade from my old 512) and it cut down the time from minutes to less then 10 seconds.
i did the exact same thing! same results!~
Breez
+937|6633|Derby, England

bennisboy wrote:

badhq wrote:

spacebandit72 wrote:

Cause - Many

Peace Boris
Because of this http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=388808#p388808 ( on note 2 )
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6777|Kansas, USA

badhq wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

badhq wrote:

Cause - Many

Peace Boris
Because of this http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=388808#p388808 ( on note 2 )
That fix, so it stated, was to speed up the time to connect to the account server. The OP was about speeding up the verification process. And the verification process is not related to your internet speed, it is hardware dependant. When I upgraded from a 2.4 MHz P4 & 1GB RAM to a AMD66 4000+ & 2GB RAM I had a significant increase in the verifying client data. I used to be one of the last people to load a map, now I am one of the first. My internet connection did not change.

Some things I would suggest: defrag your hard drive, kill any unnecessary background applications, get more RAM.
xaven
+25|6734|Berlin
Ok, to make clear what Verifying Client Data means:

It creates MD5 checksums of all files in the BF2 folder and compares the results with MD5 checksums of server files to make sure that you are using the same file version as the server. That's all. Sending these checksums doesnt take any time, but creating it does. So it is a hardware issue for sure.

Before 1.3 I had to wait 2-3 mins on Win and 64 servers, on linux based servers it took 10 seconds (weird, isnt it?). After 1.3 even on linux servers it takes 3 mins to finish. Nothing changed for me after increasing RAM from 1 to 2 GBs. It could be a CPU / harddisk issue in addition (I got XP 3200+ and one IDE HD, maybe AMD64 3800+ with SATA HDs woud be much better).
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6668

For me:
Linux Servers: 3 second verifcation time.
Windows Servers: 15-20 seconds verificaton time.

Dedicated gaming rig
2GB OCZ Platinum
Raptor as primary drive
AMD64 3200+ Venice (old, but fast enough)
Windows XP64

No other unnecessary apps installed.  Just firewalls, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware apps.

When upgraded from 1.21 to 1.3 (incremental install), didn't have to reformat or clear the BF2 cache/filters/history/etc.  Same verify timing as before.

Check how much Available Physical Memory you have left before and after you load/run BF2.  A good part of that 2GB might be consumed by other apps, like spyware.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard