Yes - definite cheat51%51% - 158
No - no cheat36%36% - 113
What's a macro?11%11% - 36
Total: 307
sgt_mango333
+31|6654
Here is the original thread...

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=26817

Tried to settle with Karma, but got lost in the crowd.  You decide.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK
This is going to get silly...next people will be asking if using a Z Board is cheating ...or a higher resolution mouse...

FFS its a game play it how you want to....it changes nothing in the REAL WORLD!
Snakestyles
+17|6739|South Africa
Hey im from the old school fo hl1 gamers, bunny hop scripts,pistol scripts, jetpack scripts,grenade scripts. They all good in my book. If the game lets you do it then i say its fine, if the game devs/anti cheat devs dont want you to use it then dont.
sgt_mango333
+31|6654

joker3327 wrote:

This is going to get silly...next people will be asking if using a Z Board is cheating ...or a higher resolution mouse...

If you read part of the thread, you'd see that the guy is spamming the fire key for DAO with the push of a single button...

This isn't a peripheral issue or a key binding issue.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6654
I've got a Logitech G15 keyboard and a G5 mouse.

The only macros I have set on my keyboard for BF2 is to say "Incoming artillery! Move!" (when I notice artillery firing in our direction) which most people usually ignore anyway.

So, macros aren't cheating. At least for me.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6552|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

joker3327 wrote:

It's so true!  Like I said before, my joystick came with an advert for BF2 and my joystick also comes with a macro programme so would EA advertise their product with another if they didn't support it??????
Defiance
+438|6673

sgt_mango333 wrote:

If you read part of the thread, you'd see that the guy is spamming the fire key for DAO with the push of a single button...

So? That's really just lazyness, it doesn't increase the fire rate of the dao and it's only a handicap on him.

If he shoots all his shots at once, you know what he is? Out of ammo.

Last edited by Defiance (2006-05-30 06:27:12)

=OBS= EstebanRey
Damn I'm gonna post a vid later and you will see that my DAO fires no faster than someone spamming it manually, I just don't want RSI!!!
Flonster
Karma Ratio whore
+178|6548|-removed you know why- mod
i think its no cheat. for example.. we got a 16yo with a highend-thanks-to-daddys-visa System und this guy plays fps for years and got reflexes like a cat on extasy.

on the other side, its me. a tired 26year old man who plays 1h a day with a 1800+xp and a geforce 5200.
imagine i have a mouse macro... and i tell u he will kill me. both of us with daos.

if u know karkand like your hometown, and its your enemys first time.... THIS IS an unfair advantage....
you know hitpoints better than your opponent (i.f. 2 tank shells to the tracks 0 boom) this is an advantage...
1 man - PKM
1 enemy - dao (with macro)

you know how it ends..

its just a game boys.

Last edited by Flonster (2006-05-30 06:31:12)

sgt_mango333
+31|6654

Defiance wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

So? That's really just lazyness, it doesn't increase the fire rate of the dao and it's only a handicap on him.

Problem is you don't get the deviance with this like on an auto weapon.  So he, in effect, has created an auto shotty.
Defiance
+438|6673

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Defiance wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Problem is you don't get the deviance with this like on an auto weapon.  So he, in effect, has created an auto shotty.
How does he bypass the deviance? It doesn't interfere with game mechanics, it's just registering alot of button hits.

And the DAO-12 has always been an auto shotty. There's no way around it, you have a dao at close range you're going to be clicking as fast as your fingers can.

Last edited by Defiance (2006-05-30 06:33:12)

Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6586|Finland
Yes definitely macros are cheating, cause the you program your computer to do something. If you buy a new high-resolution mouse, keyboard or joystick, that ain't cheating cause you still play yourself and computer doesn't play for you.
sgt_mango333
+31|6654

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Damn I'm gonna post a vid later and you will see that my DAO fires no faster than someone spamming it manually, I just don't want RSI!!!
Stop playing video games and using a computer then.
P00R_M3
+19|6571|Yorkshire, England

Defiance wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Defiance wrote:

How does he bypass the deviance? It doesn't interfere with game mechanics, it's just registering alot of button hits.

That's like saying your penis gets bigger if you pull on it...
It doesn't? what the hell I have I been wasting my time on for all these years 
sgt_mango333
+31|6654

Defiance wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

Defiance wrote:

That's like saying your penis gets bigger if you pull on it...
Yours doesn't?
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK

sgt_mango333 wrote:

joker3327 wrote:

if you read it.....it is a peripheral issue...he is binding an action to a key....a key is attached to a peripheral....if he can do it then whoopeee I have a Z Board my keys are all bound differently by default .....

If I had a button on a joystick that was autopilot I would use it...

If you could click the mouse button as fast as a macro ..you could loose of a DAO12 mag quick.....if not dont worry ....press alt f4 and move on

And no this is not a flame ...its nothing ....just dont let it bother you...if you want to play it your way do ...if not leave
Defiance
+438|6673

Jussimies wrote:

Yes definitely macros are cheating, cause the you program your computer to do something. If you buy a new high-resolution mouse, keyboard or joystick, that ain't cheating cause you still play yourself and computer doesn't play for you.
By that logic, binding a key to open the chat box is cheating. You're programming the computer to do something, and that something is on said key press, open chat box.

OMGHAX!
=OBS= EstebanRey

Jussimies wrote:

You're making it sound as if I have macros that play a whole round for me whilst I go out for the day.  Try using a macro prog with BF2 and then come back and tell me exactly how much of an advantage it has given you....
chuckle_hound
+32|6669|Edinburgh, Scotland
It's funny to think that gaming is the only "sport" where the use of helping aids is frowned on.

In running, you need some good shoes.  Often, between two players of equal skill it's their shoes that would make the difference.  The same in football, good grip is essential for ball control.

Tennis raquets, badminton, swimming trunks and caps, the whole lot gives people an edge when their normal skills can't get any further.  That's not to say a bad player can suddenly become godlike with a better monitor, mouse or even a set of weapon macros.  If this is a decent hack, then everyone who wants to be competitive will use it.  And eventually it'll be added to some sort of punkbuster blacklist or stopped in some official capacity.

(Additional thought for the day)

And it's not just macros that are stopped.  Let's say you buy a widescreen monitor to get a wide FOV.  That's the same as buying a better pair of trainers isn't it?  And yet most competitive online games don't let you alter the FOV so you lose a section of the top and bottom rather than gaining side views.  Is that really fair for the game maker to say that you can get a benefit from a faster graphics card or processor but not a wider monitor?
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6777|EUR
Im NOT taking sides but can anyone just clarify this, macro are made or used with a program but the ROE says

"...or cheats for the purposes of giving yourself an unfair advantage over other players.

This would include but not limited to:

* § MS/X and other 3rd party software. <<<<
    * § Modification of weapons code, aka Tank turrets exploit.
    * § CVAR hacks which would make players appear Neon
    * § CVAR hacks that let players see thru walls or buildings
    * § Mini-Map hack so all players are visible
    * § Modification of Player Names which would alter their size or colors.
    * § Items not included in this list would be up to EA & DICE to interpret."
Defiance
+438|6673

chuckle_hound wrote:

It's funny to think that gaming is the only "sport" where the use of helping aids is frowned on.

In running, you need some good shoes.  Often, between two players of equal skill it's their shoes that would make the difference.  The same in football, good grip is essential for ball control.

Tennis raquets, badminton, swimming trunks and caps, the whole lot gives people an edge when their normal skills can't get any further.  That's not to say a bad player can suddenly become godlike with a better monitor, mouse or even a set of weapon macros.  If this is a decent hack, then everyone who wants to be competitive will use it.  And eventually it'll be added to some sort of punkbuster blacklist or stopped in some official capacity.

(Additional thought for the day)

And it's not just macros that are stopped.  Let's say you buy a widescreen monitor to get a wide FOV.  That's the same as buying a better pair of trainers isn't it?  And yet most competitive online games don't let you alter the FOV so you lose a section of the top and bottom rather than gaining side views.  Is that really fair for the game maker to say that you can get a benefit from a faster graphics card or processor but not a wider monitor?
That makes alot of sense, good post, but the reason you can't alter the FOV is because if the option is there, hack makers will find a way to give you a 360 degree view on any monitor.

It's best just not to program it in.
sgt_mango333
+31|6654

MuseSeeker wrote:

Im NOT taking sides but can anyone just clarify this, macro are made or used with a program but the ROE says

"...or cheats for the purposes of giving yourself an unfair advantage over other players.

So would you say the guy with a macro to spam the fire button (to avaoid RSI?) has an unfair advantage over the guys manually firing all not long?
[tlv]TDL
+7|6660
Not cheating, but neither fair. Gives you an advantage by making the game easier for you. But so does a joystick, and a macro is also free. But the game is meant for joysticks, not macros. It's your fault if you doesn't go in to a dogfight with a flight stick, but if you go in to a infantry combat with a macro that makes complex maneuvers for you, I would not like it. The skill shall come from the man behind the monitor, not a program. But hey, go on, if it makes the game more fun for you, I don't care.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6600|Cheshire. UK

sgt_mango333 wrote:

MuseSeeker wrote:

So would you say the guy with a macro to spam the fire button (to avaoid RSI?) has an unfair advantage over the guys manually firing all not long?
If EA though using a Macro was cheating surely they would have mentioned it?
Defiance
+438|6673

joker3327 wrote:

If EA though using a Macro was cheating surely they would have mentioned it?
Damnit you beat me. Macros are quite common and are definetly going to come to the minds of the ROE writers. I'm sure EA had a discussion quite like this on the topic of macros.

Macros as a whole are this controversial because there are so many uses, simple and complex.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard