Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6673|Washington, DC

At age 18 in the USA, you can:

-Buy firearms that can be used to kill people

-Join the Air Force and fly billion dollar planes and blow shit up, or join the Army/Navy/Marines and shoot people

-Have a credit card that can spiral you into debt if you don't know what you're doing

-Buy ciggarettes, which give you lung cancer and all sorts of other nasty ailments

But you can't get a Sex on the Beach.
Roadhog_Uk
Artillery Magnet
+9|6588|Plymouth, England

Masta_Daco wrote:

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Masta_Daco wrote:

lol yeah when the teacher asks them something and they dont respond you start to notice something but when they open their coats and stuff damn!
Ohh when i was still in high school (Middelbare School) i saw more stoned guys then normal ones lol, and when they walked by, damn. never seem to notice whats going on too
LOL thats on my school too you ask them to solve a simple thing and they go like huh... and just react very slow that makes me crack open.
Hmmm, funny that...... My two trips to Amsterdam were very pleasant & relaxing, quite chilled you might say........ I wish it was the same over here!!

As for a drinking age of 21, that sux, I was in the pub drinking good ol warm, flat, British beer at 16 & it didn't do me any harm....... hic!
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6764|Indianapolis, IN
Who needs to wait to 21 for a handgun when you can buy a shotgun at 18?
BoneEnforcer
+4|6790
Underage drinking is a sore subject in the U.S. Air Force right now.  It is fact that 90 percent of the DUIs are caused by people 25 or younger.  And yes alot of them are closer to 21, younger and older.  So they do really enforce the 21 age limit.  Drinking and Driving is why alcohol is a sore subject, and losing people that we have spend money on for all of the training because of it is another reason.

I do remember back when I first came in 18 1/2 years ago, you could drink on the installation in the states at 18.  I will have to say that I was not a saint, and drove when I should not have driven.  But I have gotten older and wiser.  I actually drink very little now because I did not like what I was becoming.  Having alcoholics in the family and seeing what it did to them has shown me what it can do.

But back on subject, it is a hard descision on what the drinking age should be.  As long as you can almost get your drivers liscense in a ceral box, I would say it needs to be at least 20 maybe 19.  I know I will get flamed about the liscense, but if you compare the US with Europe, US is a whole lot easier and cheaper to get one.
BoneEnforcer
+4|6790

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

At age 18 in the USA, you can:

-Buy firearms that can be used to kill people

-Join the Air Force and fly billion dollar planes and blow shit up, or join the Army/Navy/Marines and shoot people

-Have a credit card that can spiral you into debt if you don't know what you're doing

-Buy ciggarettes, which give you lung cancer and all sorts of other nasty ailments

But you can't get a Sex on the Beach.
You can not fly a plane at 18.  You have to have atleast a 4 year degree to do it, so that would put a worst case 20.  But I have seen people wait several years to even get a slot for training also.  But is funny to see the new officers coming in that was in diapers when I first came in.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6689
The drinking age should be when one drink isn't going to kill you. Thanks to "statistics" I'm not a responsible person until I'm 21. Sad part is that it's based soley on drinking and driving.
MorbidFetus
+76|6593|Ohio
I've been drinking since I was 15. Stop being a puss.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6807|Dallas
It's all the Freemason's fault.  They are a bunch of evil bastards who set that age limit to ensure that the half of the people at their "town get-togethers" don't get any beer because they are under 21, giving them more beer to drink.

Freemason's are pure evil.  They are also Nazi's and child rapers.
jamiecracker
+17|6790|Wollongong,Australia
if you are old enough to fight and die for you country you are old enough to drink
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6759|Riva, MD
21 is the legal drinking age, everybodys drinking long before they're legal anyway.  Fake ID maybe, or getting legal ones to give them some.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6762|California

because dying for your country is different than killing other while you drive drunk?
BVC
+325|6738
In 1999 our drinking age was lowered from 20 to 18, with the very argument you present being the main point behind it.  Its a more just situation, but it hasn't come without its pitfalls; theres now more alcohol-related crime, mostly drink-driving and drunken assaults.  Over subsequent years there have been a number of measures designed to stop this, but alcohol-related crimes have yet to drop to pre-1999 levels.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6592|CH/BR - in UK

herrr_smity wrote:

lol 21.
so basically you can go to war and kill people, possibly die BUT you cannot have a beer
I think the age for war should be higher...someone has to stop them
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6783

18 in Aus!!!
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6690
hmm in germany the official age for drinking is 18 ('the hard stuff' - stuff like beer and wine 16 if I'm not mistaken) but aside from that noone really cares. The controlls are not very strict and it's easy to get some alcohol if you are a kid. In fact many underaged (and way underaged like being 14) are drinking at the moment and the tendency is rising. I dont really think that there is a point in raising or lowering the drinking-age since the kids in germany do not care and get their stuff anyway.
how is it in the us? is it easy to get alcohol if you are underaged? (sorry if I missed that in one of the previous posts)
d3v1ldr1v3r13
Satan's disciple on Earth.
+160|6727|Hell's prison
after being stationed in Italy for two years, i can safely say to keep the Legal US drinking age the way it is.  Simply put, Europeans are more "mature" when it comes to drinking, young Americans are not, they grow up with it all around them as a way to relax, not just a reason to party til you puke.  Also alcoholism is not a problem across the pond like it is here.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6689

Eboreus wrote:

how is it in the us? is it easy to get alcohol if you are underaged? (sorry if I missed that in one of the previous posts)
It's damn hard to buy it if you are underaged unless it's a small town where people look the other way. Youngsters between the ages of 15-20 still party it up plenty however. They usually know someone who will buy it for them or fake ID's.
HOLLYWOOD=_=FTW=_=
+31|6594
Im in the us and i think if they can fight for their country then they should be able to drink in fact i think our dod should encourage hardcore drinking.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6704|USA

Cougar wrote:

It's all the Freemason's fault.  They are a bunch of evil bastards who set that age limit to ensure that the half of the people at their "town get-togethers" don't get any beer because they are under 21, giving them more beer to drink.

And the troll speaks again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_troll

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2006-05-30 06:55:43)

konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6592|CH/BR - in UK

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Cougar wrote:

And the troll speaks again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_troll
lol - love the wiki on that
edit: +1 for the wiki

Last edited by Konfusion0 (2006-05-30 07:34:29)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard