_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
It is a 2.6GHz Intel Celeron processor, I am currently using a 1.6GHz Intel Pentium 4.  Is this new processor worth it?  I am limited to a 400MHz bus speed processor and this is the best I could find for a faster CPU.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe … Code=80547

Edit: I don't have a lot of money so I can't buy a new mobo to get an AMD, it has to be an Intel.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2006-05-28 17:01:34)

XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6648|Chandler, AZ
sure, but get if off newegg...
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6548|Scotland
hmmm...try to get a bigger cache...
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

ddenholm67 wrote:

hmmm...try to get a bigger cache...
What does a cache do?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

XxUNDEROATHxX wrote:

sure, but get if off newegg...
Newegg doesn't have it, I looked through their processors three times.
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6548|Scotland
a long story what a cache does lol......
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Also found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-CELERON-SL6VV … dZViewItem

Note that this guy has sold 138 items with 100% positive feedback.
Richard2000
Banned
+39|6537|England
get a amd 64 its a lot better than than shit
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6548|Scotland
thats excellent value for money..
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

ddenholm67 wrote:

I've got time.
nowbrdr123
Banned
+15|6546
Get an AMD
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

Richard2000 wrote:

get a amd 64 its a lot better than than shit
I don't have a whole lot of cash so I can't buy a new mobo just to get another processor.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6752|San Antonio, Texas

_j5689_ wrote:

ddenholm67 wrote:

I've got time.
OK:

A CPU cache is a cache used by the central processing unit of a computer to reduce the average time to access memory. The cache is a smaller, faster memory which stores copies of the data from the most frequently used main memory locations. As long as most memory accesses are to cached memory locations, the average latency of memory accesses will be closer to the cache latency than to the latency of main memory.

Each location in each memory has a datum, which in different designs ranges in size from 8 to 512 bytes. The size of the cache line is usually larger than the size of the usual access, which ranges from 1 to 16 bytes. Each location in each memory also has an index, which is a unique number used to refer to that location. The index for a location in main memory is called an address. Each location in the cache has a tag, which contains the index of the datum in main memory which has been cached. In a CPU's data cache, these entries are called cache lines or cache blocks.

When the processor wishes to read or write a location in main memory, it first checks whether that memory location is in the cache. This is accomplished by comparing the address of the memory location to all tags in the cache that might contain that address. If the processor finds that the memory location is in the cache, we say that a cache hit has occurred, otherwise we speak of a cache miss. In the case of a cache hit, the processor immediately reads or writes the data in the cache line. The proportion of accesses that result in a cache hit is known as the hit rate, and is a measure of the effectiveness of the cache.

In the case of a cache miss, most caches allocate a new entry, which comprises the tag just missed and a copy of the data from memory. The reference can then be applied to the new entry just as in the case of a hit. Misses are slow because they require the data to be transferred from main memory. This transfer incurs a delay since main memory is much slower than cache memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2006-05-28 17:03:24)

ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6548|Scotland
huhhhh ok lol...... the cache is bassically a place on your computer in which frequently requested data can be stored for ease of access/rapid access.

Understand:P?
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6618|Quebec city, Canada
hmm you will still be with a crap cpu..

celerons are not made for gaming. keep searching for a pentium. Maybe you will be able to find a P4 Willamette socket 478 (thats your socket right ?) or an old northwood. Willamettes and 1st version of northwoods have 400 of fsb but they are hard to find, good luck

Last edited by -=raska=- (2006-05-28 17:08:37)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Found this but I don't think I would win the bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Pentium-4-P4- … dZViewItem
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
They have a buy it now for 149.99, which would leave me with ten dollars left over.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6687|Mountains of West Virginia
First off.

You are not going to find another Celeron with more cache. At least not a regular Celeron. Cele D's have 256k but as far as plain Celerons go, 128 is the max.

And in gaming, Cache is not real important. Not saying that the 128 does matter, it does, but it is not the most important factor in gaming.

Simply put, that CPU is weak. So is your p4. I would save some more money and do more of an upgrade.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Jack Bauer
WWJD - What Would Jack Do
+26|6546
I would recommend to just keep saving your money

No point in upgrading to something whichi is barely better...unless you get it for free.

Good Luck,

Jack Bauer
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
I can't wait anymore, i've been using this 1.6 for 6 months.  If you played with it you would understand.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
Bingo.

That CPU looks like it would work.

You may need a BIOS update in order to get it working.

What brand is your Mobo? If you have no idea, what brand is your PC?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
It's an Asus 4B266LA.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6618|Quebec city, Canada
yep I think you found the right ones...

2,2 and 2,4 ghz are still not enormous but better than 1,6
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
Should work fine. And be a big improvement from the dreadful Celeron.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard