Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6602|Derby, England

First of all I would like to say thank you to. EA and it's community For finding out this sollution.
Also would like to say thank you to BF2s Community

Contents

General Battlefield 2 Issues

1. Memory Sanity Errors
2. If you don't have a microphone, and your getting connection problems at the start of round
3. All Radio Voices in English
4. Modified Content Error
5. How do i see my in game Frames per Second
6. CD/DVD drive not recognising disc
7. Battlefield 2 Play Now Shortcut
8. Can't uninstall/re-install BF2 (includes EF)

General Special Forces Issues

1. CDkeycheck.exe error when installing/playing
2. Can't uninstall/re-install SF.

General Euro Forces Issues

1. It stays i have not brought Euro Forces, but i have!

Account Issues

1. PC Freezes of Connecting to Account Server
2. I have forgotten my password
3. I need to change my User-name
4. I need to Change by password/email address on my account
5. My Stats are all messed up!
6. I earned x points or badges, they not showing in BFHQ
7. I got my missing medals, but i have not been promoted
8. How do i delete my account
9. Connection Refused at login to account server
10. Taking along time to login

Patch Issues
1. What Order do i Install patches?
2. Patching Failed
3. Not Enough Space

Performance Issues

1. Lag or Constant Disconnects from the Sever
2. Slow/Stuttering performance in Battlefield 2

Crash to Desktop Issues

1. Crash to Desktop on starting Battlefield 2
2. Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server.

CDKEY Issues

1. Invalid CDKEY when trying to join a server
2. I've lost my CDKEY

EA Downloader Issues

1. "CORE" Error is displayed when starting EA Downloader
2. I paid for my Game, but its not showing up for download in the EA Downloader
3. Workaround for using on a non Windows XP Operating System
4. Unable to authenticate download
5. EA Desktop Client has encountered a problem and needs to close

Punkbuster Issues 

1. How to Update PunkBuster
2. Reduce the Number of Punkbuster Checks
3. Inadequate O/S Admin Privileges Error

Problem not listed, Help!   

If your problem has not been listed above, read this section on common list of solutions to try to see if it will resolve your issue.

Community Recommend Maintenance Programs 

1. Adware/Spyware Tools
2. Defrag Tools
3. Registry Tools
4. Diagnostic Tools
5. Anti-Virus
6. Firewall
7. Graphic Card Drivers

Solution Explanations   

Quick explanation about some of the more well used solutions for those that are interested.

Official EA Support

See End of Post

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warlord's Warnings wrote:

WARNINGS

In parts of this FAQ it does mention changing files, this can cause unwanted problems if done incorrect and some still even if done correctly. Therefore you should always back up files before editing. One reason why you move your Battlefield 2 Folder from My Documents to your Desktop, instead of deleting it. If anything in the FAQ requires you to change a file, first back it up somewhere safe so you can replace it if necessary!

The Main warning, Registry editing can be dangerous so as with everything, you should make a backup before changing it! To do so, open RegEdit, by type in regedit in the run box from the start menu. Then click file|export, save the file somewhere save with a suitable name, this is a backup of your registry.

In addition on some Windows operating systems you may create a System Restore Point. by going to Start Menu|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|System Restore

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Battlefield 2 Issues

Problem - Memory Sanity Errors
Cause - Serial-ATA drives and Wrong Drivers
Fix - The "Memory Sanity" error seems to be being caused by Serial-ATA drives not having the correct motherboard drivers installed. Please check your drivers if you are having this problem. This is the only known fix but i do have reason to believe it does not always help, if so you could have faulty RAM, try running a program called Memtest86 to test your ram for errors. Also try removing a stick of RAM from the machine to see if it helps running on just 1 stick of RAM.

Problem - If you don't have a microphone, and your getting connection problems at the start of round
Cause - No Microphone
Fix - Will happen on servers with VOIP enabled. Turn off your VOIP, in BF2 Audio Options.

Problem - All Radio Voices in English
Cause - Option in Battlefield 2
Fix - Should be a simple fix, go into your Battlefield 2 Audio Options, and uncheck English only voices.

Problem - Modified Content Error
Cause - Your Battlefield 2 Files differ in some way than the servers
Fix - Few things to try and get this Fixed.
1. Move your Battlefield 2 folder from My Documents to your Desktop

2. Make sure you have the latest battlefield 2 patch installed

3. Try and update PunkBuster, to do so use the program, pbsetup, found at this website http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

4. Try re-downloading the latest patch from a different website and install it again, maybe several times tyring each time to see if it has worked.

5. Do a manual uninstall of battlefield 2, instructions on how to do this can be found here http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … faqid=8986
Then reinstall Battlefield 2 and apply the latest Full Patch.

6. You could have faulty RAM, try running a program called Memtest86 to test your ram for errors. Also try removing a stick of RAM from the machine to see if it helps running on just 1 stick of RAM.

Problem - How do i see my in game Frames per Second
Cause - n/a
Fix - There is a in-game command to show your FPS, Press ` key (next to number 1) type in, renderer.drawfps 1
(Don't forget the space.) Alternatively you can use a 3rd party program called FRAPS.

Problem - CD/DVD drive not recognising disc:
Cause - Mostly likely Nforce4
Fix - nforce IDE SW Driver issue, either clean Hard-Drive of nforce drivers, install new and select 'No' when prompted to install the IDE SW Driver or if you go into your device manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLER, most likely under here anyone with an NFORCE 1, 2, 3, 4 board will have Nvidia Nforce* ATA CONTROLLER - pick update driver and pick NO and pick Install from List then DON'T SEARCH and in the list you should see all the Nvidia items and STANDARD DUAL CHANNEL PCI IDE CONTROLLER. Choose STANDARD DUAL CHANNEL PCI IDE CONTROLLER and you should be good to go.

If it does not show in the Window then you can UNCHECK Show Compatible and then you'll see the Standard on the left choose this and that's it

Problem - Battlefield 2 Play Now Shortcut
Cause - n/a
Fix - Not a fix, just a warning. never use this shortcut, not only does it search for a server straight away in many cases a empty server. It can lead to battlefield 2 been very slow to load up. just use the normal Battlefield 2 shortcut to play the game.

Problem - Can't uninstall/re-install BF2 (includes EF)
Cause - Unknown
Fix - Only advice that can be given is to do a manual uninstall, full instructions on how to do this can be found Here

General Special Forces Issues

Problem - CDkeycheck.exe error when installing/playing
Cause - bad File
Fix - Download this http://files.ea.com/downloads/eacore/BF2SFRegFix.zip and make sure EADownloader isn't open, then re-install BF2/SF with the latest patch.

Problem - Can't uninstall/re-install SF.
Cause - Unknown
Fix - Only advice that can be given is to do a manual uninstall, full instructions on how to do this can be found Here http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … faqid=8986

General Euro Forces Issues

Problem - It stays i have not brought Euro Forces, but i have!
Cause - Need to Assign Euro Forces to Your account.
Fix - Detailed Diagrams Here http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … aqid=11636
You need to open EA Downloader, click on Euro Forces, then Click on Change gamespy Nickname. In The following screen that appears, enter in the name your Battlefield 2 Account which you would like to play Euro Forces on. There is a limit to the number of times you can change the account Euro Forces is assigned to per week.

If on WIN2K and hence the downloader does not work try this

http://www.pogo.com/hotdeploy/eago/eaco … round.html

Click on the link that says 'Edit GameSpy Nickname', log in with your EA.COM account that you used to buy EF and change the BF2 login to whatever you like.

Account Issues

Problem - PC Freezes of Connecting to Account Server
Cause - Firewall
Fix - Either disable your firewall(s) or allow BF2 to have internet access. Zone-Alarm is notorious for been the cause of this as its allow/deny message is hidden under Battlefield 2 where you cannot accept it.

Problem - I have forgotten my password
Cause - ...
Fix - If you go to www.gamespyid.com, you should be able to use your log-in details to retrieve your password (more details soon)

Problem - I need to change my User-name
Cause - Many
Fix - None, the user-name is not changeable, from the 1.03 patch and onwards it is possible to add a prefix but your user-name cannot be changed, without starting a new account.

Problem - I need to Change by password/email address on my account
Cause - Many
Fix - Go to www.gamespyid.com and log-in to that website with your battlefield 2 log-in details. You will be able to use that website to update your account details including email address and password.

Problem - My Stats are all messed up! - Example http://www.geocities.com/paulcarr011/stats.JPG
Cause - Usually just a glitch in Battlefield 2
Fix - Restart Battlefield 2, this usually fixes this problem, if not move your Battlefield 2 folder from my documents and put it on your desktop. Reload Battlefield 2, retrieve your account and see if your stats are now correct.
If not, it may be a matter of waiting a while as the stats server may be down.

Problem - I earned x points or badges, they not showing in BFHQ
Cause - Lag, server failed to report them, slow updates
Fix - There is no fix, you basically have to wait. If you have not received the missing stats within one week then the server you played on failed to report them to EA and hence you will not get them, an annoying issue indeed but the situation has improved vastly since the release of Battlefield 2.

Problem - I got my missing medals, but i have not been promoted
Cause - Many
Fix - The ranks in Battlefield 2 are not progress as it has been put. You earn your rank based on your points and medals at that time, you will then only next be promoted when you reach the next point bracket. For example, if you are a Master Sergeant and earn the missing awards required for First Sergeant, upon getting them you will not be promoted. The next promotion would be at Master Gunnery Sergeant (50,000 points), but if you have the needed badges you would be Sergeant Major. For more information on Ranks visit - Ubar Ranks at BF2S http://ubar.bf2s.com/ranks.php

Problem -How do i delete my account
Cause - n/a
Fix - You can delete the profile from your computer by selecting the account at the login screen and pressing delete.
However if you want to delete it some the gamespy system there is a untested method you can try.
1. Open up Gamespy Arcade and click login wizard.
2. Then put in you various details for you BF2 account
3. It should show you the account name etc
4. Select it and click next and login
5. Then logout and select your account/profile form the drop down menu
6. Then click in top left of screen Gamespy/Delete Profile
7. Fill out the stuff and it should delete you BF2 account and your various Gamespy accounts.

Problem - Connection Refused at Login to account server
Cause - Access blocked
Fix - First thing to check is your firewall and anti-virus and make sure they are allowing the connection. You can try disabling them for a short period of time to see if it allows the connection. If not re-enable them.
This issue might be your ISP switch/routing may be blocking access to www.gamespyarcade.com, if this is the case you may need to ring your ISP to check this.

Problem - Taking along time to login
Cause - Many
Fix - First of it could be slow internet connection or a problem with the account server. However try this to see if it reduces the login time. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000*, In there find the file called general.con and make a copy of it on your desktop as a backup. Now open the general.con file in my documents with notepad, and delete all server-history and server-filter.
GeneralSettings.setServerFilter ""
GeneralSettings.addServerHistory

Patch Issues

Problem - What Order do i Install patches?
Cause - N/a
Fix - Going as 1.22 is the current patch you do as follows for the simplest route;

Battlefield 2
Special Forces
1.22 Full Patch
Eur Forces
1.22 Full Patch

Please ignore expansions and booster packs you do not have, in addition the reason for the 1.22 Full patch been installed twice is that, before you can install Euro Forces you must have the 1.2 patch or higher, but since the 1.22 Patch fixes bugs in Euro Forces its necessary to reapply it after a Euro Force install, as the Euro Force install will override fixes from the first 1.22 Patch install.

Problem - Patching Failed
Cause - System Dependant
Fix - The Exact cause is not really known in most cases, some people have more success in patching when using the FULL patches instead of the Incremental ones. In addition, the patch may be corrupt when downloaded so if you have problems try downloading it from several different sites to see if it works with any of them.

You could have faulty RAM, try running a program called Memtest86 to test your ram for errors. Also try removing a stick of RAM from the machine to see if it helps running on just 1 stick of RAM.

There is a possible fix Here http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9586 which you may wish to try.

Additional information can be found here http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2327

Problem - Not Enough Space
Cause - Need more space on your System Drive
Fix - The patches now require roughly 3GB of free space on your Hard-Drive, it will not usually look where Battlefield 2 is installed but on the drive where your operating system is installed.

But there's a workaround, (Important, Before changing the registry, read Warlord's Warnings just below the contents page at the top of this FAQ)

Open regedit.exe and search for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

It points to "C:\Program Files" by default. If you change the value to "E:\Program Files", the patch will look for 3000 MB free space on drive E instead of C.

So Change it to look on a Hard Drive that has enough space for the patch to run. After the patch is completed, change the registry key back to what it was before you edited it.

Performance Issues

Problem - Lag or Constant Disconnects from the Sever
Cause - System Dependant
Fix - Since this is system dependant or could be cause by several issues, i will list possible fixes.

1. If running a Dual Core processor, load up Battlefield 2, press alt-tab to go to your desktop. Open up task Manger by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL Once! Then right click on BF2.exe and set its Affinity to 0, Basically this tells it to use only processor 0, not 0 and 1.

2. Go to your BF2 Audio options, and disable VOIP. This can help in some cases.

3. Run Adware/Spyware Scans on your PC to remove unwanted software running in the background. Recommended tools for this are;
Adaware
Spyboy : Search & Destroy
Windows Defender
Spyware Blaster

4. Check your firewalls are not the cause of the problem. Try disabling them such as Windows Firewall, Zone-alarm, and ones inbuilt into Anti-Virus programs. You could also try disabling your Anti-Virus as well to see if it increases performance. This should only be done as a test to see if it helps and that if the Firewall/Anti-Virus is the cause of the problem, once you have tried it remember to turn your firewall/anti-virus back on.

5. If on a Wireless router try plugging it directly into the internet, to see if your lag is been cause by a bad router or interference.

6. In BF2 Audio Options, try running software mode instead of hardware mode.

7. if on a wireless connection this may make it better/worse, or do no change.
Once a connection is established go to run and type "services.msc". Scroll down until you see "Wireless Zero Configuration" and click stop.

8. Try updating PunkBuster, Use the program, pbsetup, found at this websitehttp://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php  to update Punkbuster

9. Change your BF2.exe file and rename it to BF.exe, or basically something different than BF2.exe (Update shortcuts if necessary) On some systems this can provide a performance increase as the graphic card will treat it as a normal game and not run any special optimizations which can actually reduce performance

10. Reduce number of PunkBuster checks

To do this you need to:

1. OK, the first step is very simple, join any BF2 online server which is running Punkbuster, preferably a ranked one.
2. Once you are in, and re-spawned somewhere, press the ` key. This key is located on most keyboards above the tab key and to the left of the 1 key
3. Once you have pressed this, a large white box should drop down with a load of text in it. Type pb_sleep500 and hit the enter key
4. Once you have done this, make sure the box is still up and type pb_writecfg to save your settings

11. [Advanced Users Only] - (Important, Before changing msconfig startup or services, read Warlord's Warnings just below the contents page at the top of this FAQ) Type in msconfig in the run box, and disable unnecessary start up items to try and free up more ram/CPU, this can be more effective than using task manger to close them after start up. In addition check your services in Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services and use this guide http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12 to determine what is/not needed. Do note that editing services is about as bad as editing the registry so use extreme cation!!!

Also you can disable the Windows XP visuals to reduce ram/CPU usage, although Windows will look more like Windows 98 you may want to try it.
Right click on My Computer|Properties|Advanced|Performance|Settings for Best performance. This disables all the neat Windows XP looks and makes the PC that little bit faster.

11. You could try upgrading your internet to a faster speed, or connect to servers closer to your location

Problem - Slow/Stuttering performance in Battlefield 2
Cause - Several possible Causes
Fix - This can be caused by several things so here are a list of things to try and improve its performance.

1. Check that your PC can handle Battlefield 2 at your current settings. Graphical lag can often be caused by not having enough RAM to play the game.

Low Settings - 1GB Ram
Med Settings - 1.5GB Ram
High Settings - 2GB Ram

In Addition you will need a processor and graphic card capable of handling the game at the higher settings.
So try lowering your settings to see if performance improves.

2. De-frag your Hard-Drive

3. Try cleaning out your shaders and cache, to do this, go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2 and delete the shaders,
next go to C:\Documents and Settings\username*\My Documents\Battlefield 2\LogoCache and delete the cache.
Try Battlefield 2 again to see if it is better, if not, move your battlefield 2 folder from my documents to your desktop, this put the game onto default settings, as well as cleaning out its cache and shaders again.

4. Run Adware/Spyware Scans on your PC to remove unwanted software running in the background. Recommended tools for this are;
Adaware
Spyboy : Search & Destroy
Windows Defender
Spyware Blaster

5. Use this Program - PCI Latency Tool. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951 Download and install it. Use it to try setting your graphic card latency to 64 or 128 if it is at a higher number. This can help Improve performance on some systems.

6. Use task Manger to close down unnecessary background tasks, also turn off/disable you anti-virus and firewalls to see if they are the cause of the problem.

7. Re-Install the latest version of Directx from the Microsoft Website,( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx ) then move your battlefield 2 folder from my documents to your desktop, and see if it helps.

8. Use Driver Cleaner to remove your old graphic card drivers and install a new set for your graphic card, then move your battlefield 2 folder from my documents to your desktop, and see if it helps.

9. Check the bios to see if you have given the correct about of Memory to the AGP slot if on a AGP card, i.e. 256mb of Memory if its a 256MB card.

10. In BF2 Audio Options, try running software mode instead of hardware mode.

Crash to Desktop Issues

Problem - Crash to Desktop on starting Battlefield 2
Cause - Several Possible Causes
Fix - There is no fix known to work for everyone, merely a list of possible things to try to resolve the issue;

1. Rename the Movies folder in your Battlefield 2\mods\bf2 folder to Movies2, to skip the start up Movies which can be the cause of the Problem.

2. Move your Battlefield 2 folder in My documents and put it on your desktop. When loading BF2 Again it should force it to create a new one using default settings.

3. Check you have no software forcing a set refresh rate, if you do disable it.

4. If on a AGP card, try running at 4x speed instead of 8x speed. I believe ATI users can change this in there ATI control panel, or use the ATI panel in display settings. You can access display settings by right clicking on your desktop, then clicking properties.
For Nvidia users it may be necessary to set it in the bios.
By doing this the loss of FPS is very small, but you can significantly improve the systems stability

5. Check on your graphic card control panel that everything is set to application controlled to see if it helps.

6. Re-Install the latest version of Directx from the Microsoft Website http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

7. Use Driver Cleaner to erase your old Graphic Card drivers, then update to a more recent or stable version of graphic card drivers for your graphic card.

Problem - Crash to Desktop on Joining a online Server.
Cause - No CDKEY in Registry / Uninstalling BF1942 on a system that has BF2 on it.
Fix - If you have the Uninstalling BF1942 issue, skip this bit and read the part below.
Use battlefield2_code.exe to re-enter your CDKEY, this can be located in the support folder of where you installed battlefield 2 on your Hard-Drive.
After re-entering your CDKEY you must then reapply the latest patch in order for it to be encrypted into the registry.
This Program can also be used. ftp://ftp.ea-europe.com/UK_Support/EAGA … yCheck.exe

If you have the Uninstalling BF1942 issue, read on from here.

You must remove BF2 manually and reinstall it. Here's how: (modified slightly from EA's instructions to preserve settings/config):

Save your settings/configs:
* Open My Documents, rename "Battlefield 2" folder to "Battlefield 2 previous"

Delete the game files:
* Find your installation of Battlefield 2 (default: c:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2) and delete it.

Remove registry entries:
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on Run.
3. Type regedit in the text field.
4. Click File and then choose Export.
5. Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
6. Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
7. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
8. Click the plus sign next to Software.
9. Click the plus sign next to DICE.
10. Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
11. Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
12. Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
13. Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
14. Click the plus sign next to Windows.
15. Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
16. Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
17. Right-click on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} and choose Delete.
18. A Confirm Key Delete window will appear, choose Yes.
19. Close the WindowsRegistry Editor.

Battlefield 2 is now completely removed from your system.

Re-installation:
1. Reinstall Battlefield 2
2. Apply latest patch
3. Open My Documents, Rename "Battlefield 2" folder to "Battlefield 2 old" (this is the freshly installed settings directory which you may want to keep just in case).
4. Rename "Battlefield 2 previous" (your settings before BF2 stopped working) to "Battlefield 2"

CDKEY Issues

Problem - Invalid CDKEY when trying to join a server
Cause - Unencrypted CDKEY or bad Key
Fix - First Try this Program ftp://ftp.ea-europe.com/UK_Support/EAGA … yCheck.exe
If that does not help, Use battlefield2_code.exe to re-enter your CDKEY, this can be located in the support folder of where you installed battlefield 2 on your Hard-Drive.
After re-entering your CDKEY you must then reapply the latest patch in order for it to be encrypted into the registry.

Problem - I've lost my CDKEY
Cause - ...
Fix - There is a way for you to get a new CD Key/CD Disk. All you need to do is to call EA Support on 0870 243 2435 (thats if you are in the UK). If you are not in the UK then please follow this link to find your local EA Support Center. http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24

In addition have your Battlefield 2 CD at the ready, as there is a number on the CD which you can tell the tech support team and they should be able to retrieve your CDKEY from that.

EA Downloader Issues

Problem - "CORE" Error is displayed when starting EA Downloader
Cause - Internet Explorer 7 Beta
Fix - You must uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta, as only Internet Explorer 6 is supported by EA Downloader.
To do this,
Open Control Panel
Open Add/Remove Programs
Click "Show Updates" at the top
Scroll down the list and Find Internet Explorer 7,
Uninstall it.

Problem - I paid for my Game, but its not showing up for download in the EA Downloader
Cause - Ordering Error
Fix - This is a very rare error, and can only be addressed buy the official EA tech support staff. Please check the details on how to contact them at the bottom of this post.

Problem - Workaround for using on a non Windows XP Operating System
Cause - n/a
Fix - Ok folks...it's long and messy but at least it works !

1. On a computer with XP, download EF.

2. Once done, hit the 'Install Now' button in EF. This will decrypt the downloaded files.

3. Once you see the 'Choose install language' screen don't continue with the install.

4. If you go to \\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Downloader\cache\*EA LOGIN*\eagamesbf2-2006online_map_contentbf2euro\

you'll find the setup files for EF. Copy these to a CD/DVD/USB key (352mb].

5. Copy the files to your W2K machine and install EF

6. Browse to this web address

http://www.pogo.com/hotdeploy/eago/eaco … round.html

Click on the link that says 'Edit GameSpy Nickname', log in with your EA.COM account that you used to buy EF and change the BF2 login to whatever you like.

7. Play EF

NOTE :

a) You need access to a PC with XP so you can download and install the EA Downloader.

b) This PC with XP doesn't need to have BF2 installed.

c) You don't need the E-AD to change the login associated with EF as all it does is open up a webapage. The Downloader is just a 'front' for IE6.

d) I hope I haven't forgotten anything but if it doesn't work then just reply !

Problem - Unable to authenticate download
Cause - Anti-Piracy measure
Fix - If you get this error "Unable to authenticate. Please try again, if the problem continues then server might be unavailable try again later"

Then wait 48 hours from the last time you had it before trying again,

Problem - EA Desktop Client has encountered a problem and needs to close
Cause - Unknown
Fix - No real fix, but something to try to see if it works for you.
Log out of the internet (may need to plug it out from the PC physically)
Install EA Downloader
Run the Downloader, hopefully you will not get a error, but may take some time to load. Enter your username and password, You will get a server unavailable message. Now, reconnect to the internet. Then it should log you in ok.

Punkbuster Issues 

Problem - How to Update PunkBuster
Cause - n/a
Fix - Use the program, pbsetup, found at this website http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Problem - Reduce the Number of Punkbuster Checks
Cause - n/a
Fix - Punkbuster, as you probably know, is the anti cheating software which comes bundled with BF2 and is required to play on all ranked servers and most public servers. Punkbuster scans your hard-drive for problems every 20 seconds. As you may have guessed, this causes a lot of lag. What we are going to do in this fix is to increase the amount of time in between punkbuster checks to 500 seconds (the maximum amount so don't try anything higher). By the way, in case you were worried, this is 100% safe with punkbuster, and will NOT cause any problems with Punkbuster thinking you are a cheater. Punkbuster even recommends this fix on their website.

To do this you need to:

1. Ok, the first step is very simple, join any BF2 online server which is running punkbuster, preferably a ranked one.
2. Once you are in, and respawned somewhere, press the ` key. This key is located on most keyboards above the tab key and to the left of the 1 key
3. Once you have pressed this, a large white box should drop down with a load of text in it. Type pb_sleep500 and hit the enter key
4. Once you have done this, make sure the box is still up and type pb_writecfg to save your settings

Problem - Inaduquate O/S Admin Privileges Error
Cause - Limited Windows Account
Fix - You need to play Battlefield 2 on a Windows Account that has administrator privileges.

Problem not listed, Help!   

So you worked your way down to here, got a problem and its not listed above. First thing to check is EA Support http://support.ea.com/ to see if it is listed over there, if not. try these below to see if it resolves the issue.

1. Move your Battlefield 2 folder from My Documents and place it on your Desktop

2. Re-apply the latest Full Battlefield 2 Patch

3. Try disabling your firewall/anti-virus and try playing again to see if the problem has stopped, if not re-enable your firewall/anti-virus as its not advisable to leave yourself unprotected.

4. Re-Add your CD-KEY by using battlefield2_code.exe located in your Battlefield 2 support folder. After re-adding your cdkey run this program ftp://ftp.ea-europe.com/UK_Support/EAGA … yCheck.exe or reapply the latest full Battlefield 2 patch.

5. Battlefield 2 is memory heavy, lots of reading/writing so faulty RAM can easily cause Battlefield 2 problems, try running Memtest86 to check your RAM for errors, in addition you can try taking out RAM and have just one stick in the machine to see if it helps, or move them around the RAM slots.

6. Do a manual uninstall of Battlefield 2 http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … faqid=8986 (and Specail Forces http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/ph … aqid=11150 ) and reinstall Battlefield 2 then apply the latest patch, see if you still have the issue.

7. Use Driver Cleaner to remove old graphic card drivers, and install a more stable graphic card driver.

Community Recommend Maintenance Programs 

A small list of maintenance tools, recommended by the community to help not just improve Battlefield 2 performance but overall PC performance as well.

Adware/Spyware Tools

Adaware (Free)  http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
Spybot : Search & Destroy (Free) http://www.safer-networking.org/
Windows Defender (Free) http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit … fault.mspx
Spyware Blaster (Free) http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Defrag Tools

Diskeeper (Pay) http://www.diskeeper.com/

Registry Tools

Registry Mechanic (Pay) http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

Diagnostic Tools

Memtest86 (Free) http://www.memtest86.com/
Driver Cleaner (Free) http://www.drivercleaner.net/
PC Pitstop (Free online diagnostic scan) http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Anti-Virus

AVG Free Edition (Free) http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
Avast (Free) http://www.avast.com/

Firewall

Zone Alarm Free (Free) http://www.zonelabs.com/

Graphic Card Drivers

ATI Drivers http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
Nvidia Drivers http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
Omega Custom Nvidia/ATI Drivers http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Solution Explanations   

Some information on how some of the more well used solutions work.

Why reading your CDKEY can help, well basically a lot of stuff can depend on it, enough that if you don't have one in your registry the game will crash if you join a Multiplayer server.

A commonly used fix is moving/deleting your Battlefield 2 folder from My Documents. This is a good solution as in here is stored your settings and cache. if you delete/move it then starting Battlefield 2 cause the game to create a new one, completely new and on default game settings. As some settings especially resolution and refresh rate can cause problems, as well as corrupt files can do some damage to.

Lowering your AGP speed to 4x from 8x can help increase stability, no need for the full reason why but it does help with minimal loss to FPS as 8x is about 5-15% faster than 4x

PCI Latency, why does lowering it on the graphic card help. basically it stops it hogging all the time and taking it away from other demanding hardware, reducing it can reduce FPS i guess, but if you have a problem with other hardware been blocked out this will actually increase FPS overall or not give much of a change. Set your graphic card to 64 or 128 latency.

For now, that will do.

Official EA Support

There is a FAQ Topic Here http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3647

You could also try contacting you local EA Support Center or go to http://support.ea.com/

Special thanks to the community and EA for finding this solution to the problems of Battlefield 2

Original sorce EA forums

I have addit colur chart for easy findings of the section's. If your problem is not listed above please PM me or post below

Originaly Writen By Warlord

Peace Boris

Last edited by badhq (2006-05-28 04:46:23)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6600|Washington, DC

Didn't read it, but from scanning through it seems like a very in-depth piece of reading for fixes. Excellent post as always boris
k1LLr_M
Prone to Own
+118|6563|Houston, TX
Sweet...thanks boris, now we have an official place to reroute all the nubs that don't search .
oberst_enzian
+234|6712|melb.au
yep, its good to have a bunch of common problems and fixes in one place. gw m8.
M_Harrower
Will code HTML for food
+114|6543
That's the longest post I've ever seen... I was REALLY tempted to quote the entire thing, lol.

Really great work mate!

+1!!
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

M_Harrower wrote:

That's the longest post I've ever seen... I was REALLY tempted to quote the entire thing, lol.

Really great work mate!

+1!!
lol I dont blame people if they choose not to read it all the way, 

Peace Boris
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6756|Bulgaria
great, man!
It simply sux that EA didn't take care of all this, 'cause it's THEIR job to do so, not yours

Last edited by Nikola Bathory (2006-05-26 01:33:34)

Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

Nikola Bathory wrote:

great, man!
It simply sux that EA didn't take care of all this, 'cause it's THEIR job to do so, not yours
https://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-016.gif
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6708|The Hague, Netherlands

Well I'm sure its a great story with facts but if i am going to read it all with my reading speed, i would be 80 by the time I'm done
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Well I'm sure its a great story with facts but if i am going to read it all with my reading speed, i would be 80 by the time I'm done
lol
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
So, when are they going to make the movie, Boris? trilogy or not?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Possum61
+9|6718|Philly PA USA

M_Harrower wrote:

Really great work mate!

+1!!
Amen That
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6659|London, UK
i run on high settings with 1GB fine :S
l41e
+677|6618

badhq wrote:

Nikola Bathory wrote:

great, man!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/mitte … ey-016.gif
That thing scares me. O_O
mattajohnstone
+15|6758
THXS FOR THIS M8 GREAT WORK +1

i dont no if u can help but today i got sent EF but a m8 for my bday but i cant get it to work so far i have downloaded it installed it and put it to my accont name on bf2 and im up to the stage where it says play now but when i click on this and log in2 bf2 and find a EF server after i click join it chucks me out of bf2 to desktop and shuts the game down.
plz could you help as this a bday present and i need to confirm its all ok with the sender

thxs matt
Souljah
+42|6637
good lord someone has alot of time on their hands. nice post though
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

mattajohnstone wrote:

THXS FOR THIS M8 GREAT WORK +1

i dont no if u can help but today i got sent EF but a m8 for my bday but i cant get it to work so far i have downloaded it installed it and put it to my accont name on bf2 and im up to the stage where it says play now but when i click on this and log in2 bf2 and find a EF server after i click join it chucks me out of bf2 to desktop and shuts the game down.
plz could you help as this a bday present and i need to confirm its all ok with the sender

thxs matt
If you read the above post it will tell you how to resolve nearly all your BF2 SF2 EF2 ( and other general BF problems )

When you installed new game did you repach ? or it will not work bro

Peace Boris
Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

Updated add-it colour chart for easy finding of the sections.

Peace Boris
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6666|Germany

badhq wrote:

Cause - No CDKEY in Registry / Uninstalling BF1942 on a system that has BF2 on it.
Fix - If you have the Uninstalling BF1942 issue, skip this bit and read the part below.
Use battlefield2_code.exe to re-enter your CDKEY, this can be located in the support folder of where you installed battlefield 2 on your Hard-Drive.
This Program can also be used. ftp://ftp.ea-europe.com/UK_Support/EAGA … yCheck.exe
I got those CTDs when trying to join a server 2 times already in the last 3 days,right after patching(with the incremental) it didn't happen at all.
Seems I gotta make a fresh reinstall some day anyway,but until then I just try your fixes.

When you say reapplying the patch(for encrypting the key in the registry),how exactly does this work?
Because when I try to patch an already patched version 1.3 I just get a message which says "you must have BF2 1.22 installed in order to install this patch."
So,how to reapply a patch without reinstalling the whole thing?

EDIT:And another question:I have 2 different CD-keys,one for BF2,one for SF.Do I have to register both keys and if so how does the key-check distinguish between the 2?Is it just a matter of which CD is in the drive?

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-05-31 09:17:11)

Breez
+937|6602|Derby, England

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

badhq wrote:

I got those CTDs when trying to join a server 2 times already in the last 3 days,right after patching(with the incremental) it didn't happen at all.
Seems I gotta make a fresh reinstall some day anyway,but until then I just try your fixes.

When you say reapplying the patch(for encrypting the key in the registry),how exactly does this work?
Because when I try to patch an already patched version 1.3 I just get a message which says "you must have BF2 1.22 installed in order to install this patch."
So,how to reapply a patch without reinstalling the whole thing?

EDIT:And another question:I have 2 different CD-keys,one for BF2,one for SF.Do I have to register both keys and if so how does the key-check distinguish between the 2?Is it just a matter of which CD is in the drive?
I dident understand your CD key question Bro sorry ? can you repost please?

Thanks

Peace Boris
alpinestar
+304|6566|New York City baby.
from russia with love
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
nice!
Vin
+1|6511
Thanks!!! I've read it all and hopefully I'll solve some of my patch 1.3 issues. Great work.
Delphy
+45|6555|Bristol, UK
Well that calls for a tl/dr
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6591|Gold coast, Aus.
Feature?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard