CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6833|Missoula, MT
I thought it would be interesting to hear who's Grandpa was in what war...

Both of my grandfathers were in wars.  My dad's dad was in WWII (Army) and my mom's dad was in Korea (Air Force).  My dad's dad never talked about his experience with me, but my dad mentioned he talked with him once about losing one of his best friends right next to him.  I guess that was pretty horrible and he didn't want to relive it anymore. 

My mom's dad had 4 brothers, all were in wars as well.  One was in WWII, two in Korea and the youngest in Vietnam.  And they all came home!  In the small town their from down south, they have their names engraved in memorial bricks at the courthouse square.  I think that's pretty cool. 

My dad just missed being drafted for Vietnam himself and I just never joined (almost did Marines, but decided to do the work/college thing instead).  It makes me so proud to think of the heritage I've come from. 

Anyone else have any good "Grandpa" stories?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6839|-
My dad was in the Air Force in Vietnam. My grandpa was in the Korean War.
Guruz
Sir
+20|6830|government yard in trenchtown.
My mom's dad was a field medic @ the Winter War (little Finland kicked big Russia's ass!)

Frontline medics were quite rare in here, so I'm proud
I even have some badge he gave me his last days..

But unfortunately he passed away at 1998.. no more stories..

HAKKAA PÄÄLLE SUOMIPOIKA !

I'll dedicate my "medic day" (see sig) to him.

Last edited by Guruz (2005-10-14 06:52:00)

Britishbeef
+0|6792|Err...Britain
My grandfather (mothers dad) was in WW2.  He fought with the polish army at the age of 17 until he was captured and put into a POW camp.  Luckly, he and a friend managed to escape into a nearby wood as they were taken out of the camp for execution (the old take a walk in that direction).  They found a farm and the owners hid them from the nazi's.  After the war he moved to England where he met my grandmother and everything else is history. 

Sadly he passed away July 2004 and my other grandfather died before i was born so i never knew him.

Last edited by Britishbeef (2005-10-14 07:14:56)

oh-godzilla
+0|6783|Germany
my grandfather lost a leg in Russia
and the other one managed to not get involved
SpanktorTheGreat
Bringer of slight pain and mild discomfort.
+1|6806
My grandpa was an Army sergeant 5th infantry division, 11th infantry regiment, company-M (Heavy Weapons) in WWII.  He landed at Utah beach in Normandy, he was shot in the chest two different times, suffered frost bite, witnessed the death of his entire squad in one day, was demoted for refusing orders that killed many people, repromoted for saving lives, awarded the silver star, fought in the European theater until Germany surrendered, and after that he went back to the USA to train for the Pacific theater. Fortunately Japan surrendered before he could finish training and ship out.

Here is the story of the entire division during WWII, which is pretty interesting if you like war history. http://www.societyofthefifthdivision.co … War_II.htm

And here is a map showing where they went. http://www.societyofthefifthdivision.com/WWII_Map.htm
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6825
My Grandfather(Dad's dad) was in the Korean War
And my other grandfather was not in any wars.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6822|USA! USA! USA!
Both my grandfathers were Full Birds in the U.S. Army. 

Mom's Dad:  Joined the Army Air Corp to fly.  Became a test pilot and got to fly all kinds of cool stuff.  Later the Army Air Corp turned into the U.S. Air Force...  At one time my grandfather, along with his entire unit "was Honorably Discharged."  They all ended up "working" for the same "company."  The "company" took lots of "supplies" to Africa.  Shortly after they got all their "supplies" to Africa the U.S. joined WWII and revealed that those guys were still in the Air Force.  He flew bombers during WWII so you can guess what those "supplies" were. 
Not a war story, but still cool:  My grandfather flew his plane back from WWII, because it was too beat up and he refused to let anyone else take the risk and somewhere near Tinker AFB one of the engines fell off.  He landed the plane and none of his crew were injured.
War Story:  My grandfather was originally selected to drop one of the nukes.  For fear of what might happen, they decided to send a different plane, because my grandfather did not want his crew's families to be without their fathers, husbands, brothers, etc.

Dad's dad:  Joined the U.S. Army Infantry.  He started as a Private.  During his career he worked his way up and during WWII he got a battlefield promotion to Colonel.  Years after WWII the Army was down sizing and decided there were too many officers.  He decided to stay in, but then they demoted him back down to Sergeant Major.  Instead of being upset he busted his ass until he made it all the way back up to Colonel again. 

I'm not sure of the rest of my family's involvment in wars, but I do know that I am the only one in my family to still be an enlisted soldier (and damned proud of it!) and all that have been in have retired at no less the Leiutenant Colonel.
Home
Section.80
+447|6840|Seattle, Washington, USA

My Grandpa lived in Berlin during WWII. He did not believe in what the Nazis were doing, but he could not leave because of the Berlin Wall. Then the Nazis lost, and Russians moved into Berlin and treated Germans very badly. He has many stories from this Russian occupation time. He was strafed by a fighter on his way home from school one day, and had to jump off a bridge. He finally was able to escape Berlin via an underground railroad, and came to America and joined the USA army. He was never in war, but got to the rank of sergeant and operated the BAR. He also won many marksman awrds.

Oh, and @Spanktor: Holy crap. Your Grandpa is very courageous, and hopefully very respected and honored. Not to say that everyone else's Grandpa's shouldn't be respected.
SpanktorTheGreat
Bringer of slight pain and mild discomfort.
+1|6806

Homeschtar wrote:

Oh, and @Spanktor: Holy crap. Your Grandpa is very courageous, and hopefully very respected and honored. Not to say that everyone else's Grandpa's shouldn't be respected.
Thank you for your kind words. I wish I could say he came back to the US and everything was great, but there is a very dark side to the story.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6822|USA! USA! USA!

Homeschtar wrote:

... Not to say that everyone else's Grandpa's shouldn't be respected.
Agreed.  I think most people who live to be grandparents should be respected.  They have lived a long and hard life in one form or another, as is discussed elsewhere...
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6766|NRW,Germany
My fathers father was in the Afrikakorps and became a POW quite early. He often told us stories from the life as an POW in the US where he worked on a peanut farm.

My mothers father fought at the eastern front. He was an Unteroffizier (Lance Corporal) and became a russian POW. Till today he never told any war stories as he doesn´t wants to be reminded.
I only know that he was hit in the arm (he still has a hole in his elbow) and got a Verwundetenabzeichen (Purple Heart).

Each of them lost a brother and my fathers grandmother was killed in a bombing raid so they were glad when the war ended and everything became normal again.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6822|USA! USA! USA!
Tigg, you bring up an interesting point.  I didn't really thing about the German community here.  It is interesting to hear about a different point of view...
SrA_Shady
Slimshady -- The Real Medic
+0|6757|Sumter, South Carolina
Indeed it is;
We Americans for the most part dont realize that the Germans lost fathers brothers and husbands just like we did in the big war.  It is very interesting to percieve it from the other side of the fence.

As far as my grandfather, my dad's dad worked on experimental radar during WWII.  I found that really interesting.. he used to tell my dad about being up in the nose of bombers, and he'd feel heat on his back, turn around only to find a bright red beam trained on him.. He later died of cancer.. go figure? ;p
I think my dads dad's brother flew transport aircraft in the war, if I remember.

Shady
GTKtino
+0|6762

SrA_Shady wrote:

Indeed it is;
We Americans for the most part dont realize that the Germans lost fathers brothers and husbands just like we did in the big war.  It is very interesting to percieve it from the other side of the fence.

Shady
yes very true, a lot of Americans saw the Germans as ruthless Nazis, yet they were also human
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6762|AUS, Canberra
my dads dad was in aus navy in ww2, got shot in the hand by one of the guys on his ship!!
Badcomp
+2|6780|U.S.
Both of my grandfathers served in the military during WWII.
My maternal grandfather served on the USS Yorktown (the 2nd one). He was originally the backseat gunner on a TBF-1 divebomber. After a landing mishap that put his plane in the drink he was then a mechanic on the Corsair and Hellcat fighters. The Corsair "00" that he worked on is still on display on the Yorktown in Charleston, SC along with some of his old naval stuff that he donated. He could recount every square inch and everything he did on and to that plane. He doesn't recount too much of what happened but described life on the Yorktown and mostly boredom and then being "scared shitless."
He is the epitome of an old salty-dog if there ever was one.

My other grandfather was a tank commander in the European theatre. I don't have many tales from him because quite frankly I never knew the man.
My grandmother interestingly enough was in the army as well in the Nurse Corps and met my grandfather. She recounted tending to some of the sick POWS that came thru Ft. Benning in Columbus, GA.

Tigg, did your grandfather happen to be on one of the peanut farms near Columbus, Georgia??? There were several areas around Ft. Benning that had POW camps.
Prodie
Moderator Emeritus
+270|6766|Nova Scotia, Canada

My grandpa was in WWII. According to what my family tells me, he was one of the best snipers from around where I live. That means he was one of the best snipers out of half a million people or so.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6766|NRW,Germany

Badcomp wrote:

Tigg, did your grandfather happen to be on one of the peanut farms near Columbus, Georgia??? There were several areas around Ft. Benning that had POW camps.
I have no clue where he was exactly. The only thing I know is that he once visited San Francisco before he was shipped back to Germany so maybe he was in California?
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6747|The Netherlands
my grandfather was in the Dutch army when the germans attacked in ww2. later he went in the resistance (and survived)
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
my grandpa on my dad's side was in WW2 and received the purple heart.  he passed away before i was born though.  its really a shame the purple heart has such a negative connotation in BF2 because in real life its a great honor to receive.
TrevorP
+0|6785
My Mom's Dad worked with radar towers in the UK in WW2. And my dad's uncle or great uncle  (can't remember)  was in the german navy in ww2 and was on I believe 3 or 4 ships that were sunk...one being the Bismark. He survived to tell about it too. And I had another uncle on the Hood as well...also survived. And my dad also knew a british commando from ww2 who found a pair of german field binoculars in a locker. Ill even post some images of it when I find it.
TrevorP
+0|6785
Ok here we go:

https://www.soubra.ca/Trevor/Images/binocs_001.jpg
https://www.soubra.ca/Trevor/Images/binocs_002.jpg

Last edited by TrevorP (2005-11-09 13:58:29)

Possum61
+9|6740|Philly PA USA
My dad was in the Vietnam war he was a B-52 pilot and done 2 tours. And now he is fixing to retire from Delta. That is were i got my BF2 name from he named his Bomber Possum61. 61 was the year I was born. I never got the flying bug that he did but i do have my private pilots .
BladeRunner
+5|6741|UK
My Grandfather served in the tanks in North Africa and fought Rommel and his boys.

When I was at school I had an interesting experience...I went on a school trip around WWI sites, Ypres, The Somme, Paschendale (speling?). One thing that drove the message about war home was the endless cemetaried and graves. Endless. Thousands of white headstones. They go on for ever everywhere....and I was the only kid they'd ever had on the trip who could identify relatives in both the English AND German graves.

The biggest blow, though was watching the ceremony of remembrance at the Mennin Gates (spelling). They wheel out some proud old heros, play the last post, and poppy petals fall from above you.

STILL sends a chill down my spine

Fight for freedom and justice....not oil and cash

Last edited by BladeRunner (2005-11-09 14:55:22)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard