G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6049|Sea to globally-cooled sea
hello

I've been playing BF2 since last summer.  I love the game, and never thought much of my performance until I played on my friend's computer.  Then I realized, WOW my game is so choppy!!!

I have all my graphics on low, which is a bummer but it's ok.  I don't need to up my detail.  mostly, I'd just love to get my game a little smoother, without spending much moolah.

Here's what I have:

Windows XP  SP2

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1.46 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
Motherboard: ASUSTek Model A7V8X and I don't know anything else, I don't think.

My memory is in Slot 2 (says CPU-Z, that program the sticky told me to download) and it's DDR


My video card is Radeon 9500 Pro (woot) hahaha
tupla_s
.
+455|6015|Finland
Buy more RAM and it runs lot smoother

Last edited by tupla_s (2006-05-22 07:45:32)

metal1215
Member
+18|6068|Varsseveld, Netherlands
id upgrade the video card, 9500pro is too weak
Ive got a 9600xt in my pc, runs ok and an 7300 go in my laptop, runs much because its got a better processor etc (pentium M760, 1024mb ddr-II)
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6049|Sea to globally-cooled sea

tupla_s wrote:

Buy more RAM
I kinda figured, from reading the other posts...but is it true that not all RAM goes with all Mobo's?  how do I know what to get?
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6046|Camp XRay

From what I can tell about your board it supports ddr333 up 1.5 gb. Like someone stated above I would purchase a one gig stick of ram to max it out. Newegg.com has a gig stick of ocz value ram for 77 dollars. There is cheaper ram but I would strongly recommend going with a little bit more expensive ram.  At this stage with out knowing much else about your machine this would be the best bet. If your will to spend about three hundred, and assuming you up to the task of replacing your motherboard, I think you could purchase a low end asus board and 2 gigs of dual channel ram for about three hundred dollars. If the second option is something your interested in pm me and I will help get you some more info.

Here is the link for the ocz ram on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820227070
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
slo5oh
Member
+28|6084

Marlboroman82 wrote:

From what I can tell about your board it supports ddr333 up 1.5 gb. Like someone stated above I would purchase a one gig stick of ram to max it out. Newegg.com has a gig stick of ocz value ram for 77 dollars. There is cheaper ram but I would strongly recommend going with a little bit more expensive ram.  At this stage with out knowing much else about your machine this would be the best bet. If your will to spend about three hundred, and assuming you up to the task of replacing your motherboard, I think you could purchase a low end asus board and 2 gigs of dual channel ram for about three hundred dollars. If the second option is something your interested in pm me and I will help get you some more info.

Here is the link for the ocz ram on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820227070
I agree on adding ram, but strongly disagree on spending more money (new motherboard) to use with a dead tech (xp chip).
G3,
You can buy a semperon 3100 with motherboard from fry's for $79 (sale occurs every couple weeks) and should be able to get 2 gigs of ram (ddr400) for another $100 to $120.  There's currently a deal on a socket 754 a64 3000 chip with an ecs nforce3 motherboard for $99 at fry's.  I didn't recommend this deal first because I know the semperon 3100 is a very good overclocker, but I don't know about the 754 a64 3000 chip.  You can turn it up to 250Mhz fsb and it will run better than the stock a64 chips in the the low 3000s.  Both these combos come with a board that has AGP, not PCI-exp, so you'll be able to keep your existing video card although I really think you should upgrade.
Jack Bauer
WWJD - What Would Jack Do
+26|5977

G3|Genius wrote:

hello
I've been playing BF2 since last summer.  I love the game, and never thought much of my performance until I played on my friend's computer.  Then I realized, WOW my game is so choppy!!!
I have all my graphics on low, which is a bummer but it's ok.  I don't need to up my detail.  mostly, I'd just love to get my game a little smoother, without spending much moolah.
Here's what I have:
Windows XP  SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1.46 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
Motherboard: ASUSTek Model A7V8X and I don't know anything else, I don't think.
My memory is in Slot 2 (says CPU-Z, that program the sticky told me to download) and it's DDR
My video card is Radeon 9500 Pro (woot) hahaha
First thing I'd do is put as much ram as possible into the machine (ideally 2GB+).  That seems like your weakest link, currently.

Good luck,

Jack Bauer

*EDIT* To slo5oh:

slo5oh wrote:

.. and should be able to get 2 gigs of ram (ddr400) for another $100 to $120. ..
I am uncertain what planet you're living on, but 2GB of "value" (RE: crap) memory from at least a name brand will set you back at least $150USD (this would be a reasonable price, if I remember correctly).  I wouldn't recommend getting the type with no manufacturer listed on the stick, especially for higher densities like 1GB/stick.
Even if you could get it at 2GB for $120USD, that's currently going to be a gamble unless it's some kind of super nice sale.  With memory, you get what you pay for, in most instances -JB/out

Last edited by Jack Bauer (2006-05-22 13:18:06)

slo5oh
Member
+28|6084

Jack Bauer wrote:

*EDIT* To slo5oh:

slo5oh wrote:

.. and should be able to get 2 gigs of ram (ddr400) for another $100 to $120. ..
I am uncertain what planet you're living on, but 2GB of "value" (RE: crap) memory from at least a name brand will set you back at least $150USD (this would be a reasonable price, if I remember correctly).  I wouldn't recommend getting the type with no manufacturer listed on the stick, especially for higher densities like 1GB/stick.
Even if you could get it at 2GB for $120USD, that's currently going to be a gamble unless it's some kind of super nice sale.  With memory, you get what you pay for, in most instances -JB/out
Hi Jack,
I love your show!    I do live on earth... I just search out good deals.  In the past 4 or 5 months I've seen 2 gig kits come down in price quite a bit.  I've seen patriot 2 gig kits go for $119 at fry's or outpost, the same patriot at newegg for $121 after rebate, and lately single gig corsair "value" ram has been going on sale for $49 at Fry's.  While these might not be super tight timing ram, they will do their job just fine and the price is right.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6046|Camp XRay

Well do not fill his head with lofty ideas of two gigs because like i said above his board only supports 1.5.

Last edited by Marlboroman82 (2006-05-22 17:09:12)

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
WormGuts
Member
+17|6217|Dayton, Ohio
I have a system that's very similar to yours.  My processor is a 1.6 Ghz that's overclocked to 1.7, the big difference in our systems is my ATI radeon 9800 pro video card (128mb/256bit) and the corsair dual 524mb of ram.  A small upgrade in RAM and Video card will do wonders for you.  My game runs smooth as butter.
Arch-35
Member
+1|6132

G3|Genius wrote:

hello

I've been playing BF2 since last summer.  I love the game, and never thought much of my performance until I played on my friend's computer.  Then I realized, WOW my game is so choppy!!!

I have all my graphics on low, which is a bummer but it's ok.  I don't need to up my detail.  mostly, I'd just love to get my game a little smoother, without spending much moolah.

Here's what I have:

Windows XP  SP2

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1.46 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
Motherboard: ASUSTek Model A7V8X and I don't know anything else, I don't think.

My memory is in Slot 2 (says CPU-Z, that program the sticky told me to download) and it's DDR


My video card is Radeon 9500 Pro (woot) hahaha
G3,

You have a wealth of knowledge here and you have to do what is best for you, good luck brother.

I read suggestions of RAM upgrade and someone even checked your board. Good on that, check your manufactures web site and see if there is a new bios out that might let you upgrade to RAM that has a faster clock speed, but you will not get out of the 1.5ghz range by the read of things here. If you shop around the online stores, Newegg, Zip Zoom Fly, MWave, Tiger Direct, Monarch Computers....to name a few, you can find deals. Some run for a weekend, a day, some only for hours. I lucked up and got a deal on RAM and picked up a hard drive which made a difference for me. I was running 1 gig of Corsair  XMS DDR 400, PC 3200 c2pt and a Maxtor SATA-150, 250 Gig hard drive w/8mb cache, along with the other components below. I found that I was late arriving in-game at launch and that BF2 was a little slow when using a coms program combined with a lot of action/explosions in-game; my settings were at medium at 1024x768x85 hrz. I was looking for another gig of memory when I ran across a great price for 2 gigs and scooped it up and got the bigger cache hard drive to boot.

I have to say the upgrades have made a difference in load time and playability for me.

My system: AMD 64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI w/GV-3D1-C Dual GeForce 6600GT 256MB Dual 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16, 3 Gigs of Corsair XMS DDR 400, Maxtor UATA 250 Gig HDD w/16 mb cache.
nowbrdr123
Banned
+15|5977
I feel ya, I've got an fx5500 and was in aww of my friends computer.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6185
You need to use a minimum of 1.5 Gb.
vjs
Member
+19|6194
MY god sempron one dead tech to another...

Read the stick post on propose a new stick there is alot of info in there for someone like yourself.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6143|California

complete rebuild if you want to play ANYTING that comes out in 2k7
Brasso
member
+1,549|6053

gblanco wrote:

You need to use a minimum of 1.5 Gb.
i use 1, damnit! i personally think you need a better CPU, it seems a *little* slow.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
SuB
Member
+50|6099
naw bf2 uses upwards of 900Mb of ram usually 1gb gives u no margin, 1.5 will do it but 2gb just keeps it sweet
JE3146
Member
+109|5994|Oregon
I have a 2800+ and it runs fine.

Processor speeds are a little overrated when it comes to anything but PC Mark.

Hell, i got bored today and gave my 2800+ a 200mhz overclock and noticed no FPS increase.


Get more RAM, and a possibly cheap, but better graphics card, then see if you can sell your old one to a friend of the family or something... basically someone looking to get some better fps on solitaire or something

Last edited by JE3146 (2006-05-22 20:52:06)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|5994|USA

metal1215 wrote:

id upgrade the video card, 9500pro is too weak
Ive got a 9600xt in my pc, runs ok and an 7300 go in my laptop, runs much because its got a better processor etc (pentium M760, 1024mb ddr-II)
bah. i'm running a 9550 FLAT and i don't have any choppiness. its just RAM.
gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6185

haffeysucks wrote:

gblanco wrote:

You need to use a minimum of 1.5 Gb.
i use 1, damnit! i personally think you need a better CPU, it seems a *little* slow.
there is a big difference between 1 and 1.5 Gb.
I was using 1 too.
and when I started using 1.5Gb, there was a big difference with graphics performance.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6049|Sea to globally-cooled sea

stryyker wrote:

complete rebuild if you want to play ANYTING that comes out in 2k7
yeah well I went out and bought two - 512mb sticks of ram, and opened up my machine and put them in and went to turn on my computer andddddddddddd

nothin.

restored it to original hardware.

nothin.

I read that tutorial sticky!  I made sure I wasn't static.  I read that you shouldn't apply pressure because these things are built to sit and click (so to speak).

no clue what happened.

so I took my computer to my college roomate's house cuz he's the one who built it for me, and we tried everything, but it seems as though the mobo is gone.  I'm 100% certain I bought the right RAM.  I double checked your suggestion and you were absolutely right.  333mhz max 1.5gb.  That's what I put in!

anyway, we ordered all new shit from newegg.  Thank you for all your help, everyone.  Here are the specs to my new machine:

newegg.com wrote:

CPU AMD|A64 3500+ 2.2G 939 512K R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$185.99)
SHIRT GENERIC|AMD SHIRT - GREEN % - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$24.99)
MB ASUS A8N-SLI NF4SLI 939 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$106.99)
VGA ASUS N EN7900GT/2DHT/256M R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$292.99)
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$188.00)
HD 250G|WD 7200 SATA2 16MB WD2500KS - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$89.99)
Discount FOR 19-103-603&00-998-003 (Qty=1, Price=$-24.99)
DISCOUNT FOR PREFERRED ACCOUNT (Qty=1, Price=$-2.99)

Extended Warranty Fee: $0
Subtotal: $860.97
TAX: $51.84
Shipping and Handling Charge**: $34.21
Rush Order Fee:$2.99
Total: $947.02
as you can see I got a free tshirt out of this, so I'm pleased.  I made the choices I made because I don't have much money, but I didn't want to get a computer that in a year I will be frustrated with.

on a side note, considering the performance of my old machine, I have half decent stats, no? 

Thank you, again, everyone for your help!
JE3146
Member
+109|5994|Oregon

G3|Genius wrote:

stryyker wrote:

complete rebuild if you want to play ANYTING that comes out in 2k7
yeah well I went out and bought two - 512mb sticks of ram, and opened up my machine and put them in and went to turn on my computer andddddddddddd

nothin.

restored it to original hardware.

nothin.

I read that tutorial sticky!  I made sure I wasn't static.  I read that you shouldn't apply pressure because these things are built to sit and click (so to speak).

no clue what happened.

so I took my computer to my college roomate's house cuz he's the one who built it for me, and we tried everything, but it seems as though the mobo is gone.  I'm 100% certain I bought the right RAM.  I double checked your suggestion and you were absolutely right.  333mhz max 1.5gb.  That's what I put in!

anyway, we ordered all new shit from newegg.  Thank you for all your help, everyone.  Here are the specs to my new machine:

newegg.com wrote:

CPU AMD|A64 3500+ 2.2G 939 512K R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$185.99)
SHIRT GENERIC|AMD SHIRT - GREEN % - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$24.99)
MB ASUS A8N-SLI NF4SLI 939 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$106.99)
VGA ASUS N EN7900GT/2DHT/256M R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$292.99)
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$188.00)
HD 250G|WD 7200 SATA2 16MB WD2500KS - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$89.99)
Discount FOR 19-103-603&00-998-003 (Qty=1, Price=$-24.99)
DISCOUNT FOR PREFERRED ACCOUNT (Qty=1, Price=$-2.99)

Extended Warranty Fee: $0
Subtotal: $860.97
TAX: $51.84
Shipping and Handling Charge**: $34.21
Rush Order Fee:$2.99
Total: $947.02
as you can see I got a free tshirt out of this, so I'm pleased.  I made the choices I made because I don't have much money, but I didn't want to get a computer that in a year I will be frustrated with.

on a side note, considering the performance of my old machine, I have half decent stats, no? 

Thank you, again, everyone for your help!
Nice specs, but I have a question


"DISCOUNT FOR PREFERRED ACCOUNT (Qty=1, Price=$-2.99)"

I've spent well over 12k$ with them.... I assume this is for free rush delivery????

Wonder why I don't get this option....
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,277|6139
Get AM2 setup since it has been released today, or if u dont have the money, get a better socket 939 mobo like a sli premium or deluxe (one w/ heatpipes) since its got better overclocking options. a better heatsink for cpu and gpu may help...

gpu= get a zalman vf900cu preffere,d vf700 if ur on tight budget
CPU: tuniq tower 120, or a zalman 9500 series. tuniq tower is cheaper btw and is much better.

those two heatsinks can be found on www.frozencpu.com
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
cdogmn
Banned
+4|5973
you need to upgrade evything, speed at least 2.4 ghz, at least 1.5 mb ram,at least a new nv6800 or ati 800 128 mb video card, and update ya bios,and get comcast 8.0 mb of internet speed,,then you'll have a clean smooth no lagg gaming,,
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6049|Sea to globally-cooled sea

JE3146 wrote:

"DISCOUNT FOR PREFERRED ACCOUNT (Qty=1, Price=$-2.99)"

I've spent well over 12k$ with them.... I assume this is for free rush delivery????

Wonder why I don't get this option....
yeah i think it did have to do with rush delivery...I think actually it's because I tried to get it super rushed and they said they'd refund the difference if they could not in fact do it that way.

not entirely sure.  But in the grand scheme of things...  $2.99 is only .025% of $12,000 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard