How do you pronounce "Pwnage"?

Ownage (Oh-nej)28%28% - 97
Poneage (Poe-nej)44%44% - 151
Pawnage (Paw-nej)27%27% - 94
Total: 342
Home
Section.80
+447|6847|Seattle, Washington, USA

I was watching myself some Pure Pwnage when I realized something. In that show, they pronounce "Pwnage" as "Ownage" and then someone else suggests it is pronounced "Poneage". I personally pronounce it "Pawnage". What do you pronounce it as?
T0rr3nt
+54|6576|Michigan
P-own-age
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6705|Antarctica
owned>pwned.  nuff said.
[RTC]invaderzim69
+19|6555|newcastle australia
either way its a gay word but oh-nej if any
CoconutBlitz
I've had the diarrheas since Easters
+145|6589|California U.S.A
erm the second one (poe-naj)
Defiance
+438|6670

It depends on the spelling. If you pronounce it differently then it's spelled, your retarded.

Ownage: Owe-nej
Pwnage: Poe-nej
Pawnage: Paw-nej
C.Schaffer
+19|6597|Sweden
hehe pwnd....
HEY, I need help!!
I want one of those namethings stuff that shows your medals, ribbons and everything, u know the ones that everyone have...please help me?
message me
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6823|St. Louis, MO
How do you pronounce "Pwnage"?Simple,you don't .A dumb ass word like that should never actually be spoken.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6655|Brisbane, Australia

Then what do you scream at your clannies over TS when you own them...........hard?
ckaplan
+7|6596
What are all of you silly hooked on phonics kids arguing about now?  Just because you 1337 something doesn't mean you pronounce it that way.  Any way you spell it, it is still pronounced "ownage."

Pwnage is also short for "Pure Ownage".

Last edited by ckaplan (2006-05-20 00:49:20)

Home
Section.80
+447|6847|Seattle, Washington, USA

YoBabysDaddy wrote:

How do you pronounce "Pwnage"?Simple,you don't .A dumb ass word like that should never actually be spoken.
Well, yeah, I know, but you kind of pronounce it in your head when you read it.

Or maybe I'm just insane.
CoconutBlitz
I've had the diarrheas since Easters
+145|6589|California U.S.A

Sarrk wrote:

Then what do you scream at your clannies over TS when you own them...........hard?
"SOoooo what are YOU wearin!?" 
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
Odd. I pronounce it 'pawnage' but my friends pronounce it 'ownage'.

Somehow I think ownage is right - the word 'pwned' was never intended for verbal use.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
tthf
Member 5307
+210|6757|06-01
meh,

potehto/ potahto
tomehto/ tomahto
5.56HaleStorm
Gangsta Crizza
+10|6582|Sydney, Aus
Wasn't pwnage initially a typo? I thought this was the case, seeing as the 'o' on a keyboard is situated directly next to the 'p'. Not sure though.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

5.56HaleStorm wrote:

Wasn't pwnage initially a typo? I thought this was the case, seeing as the 'o' on a keyboard is situated directly next to the 'p'. Not sure though.
Exactly my thoughts.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6558|The real world
How retarted are you when u try to type: ownage

but type pwnage, the guy who got pwned then think: "zomg wtf he sp3lls teh w00rd rong LOL LOL XD"
[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6727|Honolulu, HI
There are a couple theories for how "pwned" came about, here they are in order of retardedness (more plausible theories are listed first)

1) As mentioned above, "O" is right next to "P" on the standard QWERTY (U.S.) keyboard.  In the heat of FPS battle, "pwned!" looks enough like "owned!" to not necessitate deleting/retyping, especially considering that if you spend more than a second or two typing into the in-game console, you'll probably end up shot in the back of the head.  (This theory is most plausible because of "teh" or even "t3h", two (sort of) common typos that also may have turned up frequently in the early days of the Internet.)

2) It evolved as a portmanteau (contraction) of "pure" and "own(age)".  Sorta believable.

3) In Warcraft II, a special screen was programmed for use on TCP/IP games where the loser would be presented with a splash screen with the caption, "You were owned."  Trouble is, some sloppy programmer accidentally typed "You were pwned" instead.  Not that plausible, and since it also borrows from Theory 1 above, not all that original either.

4) The letter "P" comes right after the letter "O" in the alphabet.  A semi-popular fad in the mid-to-late 90s was the use of the instant-messaging shortcut "gr8", of course meaning "great".  "Gr9" became somewhat popular as a superlative form of "gr8", since 9 comes after 8.  Perhaps "Pwned" evolved from "Owned" in the same way--9 comes after 8, P comes after O?  Interesting...but about as realistic as BF2 with graphics set to Low.

Last edited by [QXJZ]Capt_Kefra (2006-05-20 01:16:01)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6664|NT, like Mick Dundee

[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra wrote:

There are a couple theories for how "pwned" came about, here they are in order of retardedness (more plausible theories are listed first)

1) As mentioned above, "O" is right next to "P" on the standard QWERTY (U.S.) keyboard.  In the heat of FPS battle, "pwned!" looks enough like "owned!" to not necessitate deleting/retyping, especially considering that if you spend more than a second or two typing into the in-game console, you'll probably end up shot in the back of the head.  (This theory is most plausible because of "teh" or even "t3h", two (sort of) common typos that also may have turned up frequently in the early days of the Internet.)
Wikipedia has an article on this subject..... Why it has an article on the source of an online gaming term I will never understand.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6727|Honolulu, HI
Wikipedia, as far as I know, also at least briefly discusses other Internet neologisms, such as the origins and pronunciation of "ZOMG", 13375p34k, OMGWTFBBQ, etc.

Hell of a lot more trendy then the Encyclopaedia Britannica, a lot lighter, and free.  You won't see me complaining.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England
i h8 the word pawnage, and hate even worse the word poonage. they jsut sound so crap. i only use the word own, all the rest jsut kinda suks. i also spell just like jsut, cos... it jsut comes out like that on my keybord lol
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6774|Noizyland

I like saying 'Pawnage'. I mean, if you're going to re-write the english language you may as well do it phoeneticaly.
I know it's meant to be 'ownage' but 'ownage' is a stupid ugly word, and since there is room for interpretation, for me it will always be pawnage.

Not that I like this gamer/1337-speak language.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Haxorsist
Snoring drooler
+3|6737|Snoreway
I pronounce it ownage, because i r ownz j00.
uber73
+188|6751|Brisbane
its pronounced, "dont allow me in your squad, because im 15"
Username II
+3|6632

5.56HaleStorm wrote:

I agree, tlol.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard