superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6789

This may seem like a silly post, afterall everybody knows how to use the minimap:  Its in the upper right corner of your screen and blue dots are your teammates, green dots are squad mates and red dots are enemies.  Yes simple enough but in my experience as commander it amazes me how many people will driving by a flag in a tank will not notice me spotting an enemy trying to cap that flag.

So here are my quick tips to effectively using the mini-map:

1) Map the toggle zoom on minimap to your mouse (if you've got more than three clickable buttons) or to a readily accessible keyboard key.  The mini-map has three zoom levels that show you the map with increasing details.  I cannot stress enough the importance of constantly switching the zoom level to balance between your need to zoom in to assist you in local fighting and zooming out to visualize the entire battlefield and see what the commander is spotting.  When I play I am constantly adjusting this view in order to increase my awareness of the battlefield and thus i have mapped the the toggle zoom button on my fourth mouse button.

2) Set Your Minimap to follow the player (don't use static map).  I have played with both and from my experience the map that follows the player gives you a much quicker perspective.  The reason for this is because the mini-map's main function is to show you other player's position relative you.  If you are playing with the map that follows the player then all dots that are north are in front of you, south behind you etc.  Very simple to see and process.  If you use the static map, you must first identify where your view cone is pointing and then adjust for where the dots are.  The result is that you will always be a step slower using the static map.  As you get better BF2 and start to know the maps the usefulness of the static map to help you find your bearings will become nil...also, if you want to see a static map you can always press capslock to see the big map.

Judging from this post (http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=16033) most people use static so there will be those of you who disagree because you have become accustomed to it and can process its information really quickly.  Well, I was one of you but I gave the follow the player option a try...at first I didn't like it, but then after a week I got used to it and I can tell you there's a huge advantage.  Consider this...You glance at the mini map and there is a red dot about 15 meters northwest of your center dot:
  a) Static: Identify where you view cone is facing AND then turn accordingly.
  b) Follow the Player: Turn 45 degrees to your left.

3) Look at it constantly to:
  a) figure out where people are hiding.  I get soooo many tank kills by looking at the map and then figuring out where people are hiding.  Red dot to my right...building there...must be on the roof but i don't see him...fire at the little water tower on the roof...Superfly_Cox killed GuyWhoWasHidingOnRoof.  Splash damage is a bitch.
  b) make sure you are not firing at friendlies (blue tags will not immediately show up when you target a player).

Additions by posters:

Mj.Blindfisch:
Did you guys know that when you are commander and spot the enemy commander while he is using his "laptop" he is shown as a white dot??

I'm not sure if the normal players see a white dot too,but nevertheless,the moment I spot this white dot I immediately tell every unit in the vicinity to go and kill this soldier because he's the enemy commander,very useful if you wanna mess up his arty kill streak.

Answeller:
4- Empty veichles and static defence posts (Stinger-Tow) show as gray if its suddenly dissapers from your minimap:
a) It blown up
b) Enemy took it (%90)
Now you know your enemy's position without being spotted by commander or uav.

Last edited by superfly_cox (2006-05-16 07:44:42)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6796|Singapore

Heh. I was going to say.

Awesome Guide for using minimap:

1) Look at it
Speelbal
+146|6759|Netherlands
Many people tend to forget their minimap. I think watching for friendly arty is one of the most important features of your minimap.
uber73
+188|6759|Brisbane
dear god....

useless?  i mean, dear, sweet jesus.... 

"3) Look at it constantly to:
  a) figure out where people are hiding.  I get soooo many tank kills by looking at the map and then figuring out where people are hiding. "

this should go into a comedy thread, and is contender for the WANKIEST ever post!
DavidianCox
...from the internet
+60|6665|Birmingham
superfly_cox have you been on the diedlaughing server recently? i swear i have seen you on there! oh and nice guide too
{IKA}Joker
+3|6583
Very good call on the mini-maps ...
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6789

uber73 wrote:

dear god....

a) figure out where people are hiding.  I get soooo many tank kills by looking at the map and then figuring out where people are hiding. "

this should go into a comedy thread, and is contender for the WANKIEST ever post!
my apologies if this wanky post has offended your sensibilities.
Yong-OV
+11|6565
Well, as silly as it sounds.... it is true.
Happened just yesterday... I spotted (as commander) an enemy at one of our flags. A blue dot walks past the flag, and walks, and walks and finaly gets killed by the red dot that he did not even see.....
I have no clue how often I spam-spotted this red dot. Probably a dozen times. this guy was just resistent to any kind of help.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6704|Germany
Did you guys know that when you are commander and spot the enemy commander while he is using his "laptop" he is shown as a white dot??

I'm not sure if the normal players see a white dot too,but nevertheless,the moment I spot this white dot I immediately tell every unit in the vicinity to go and kill this soldier because he's the enemy commander,very useful if you wanna mess up his arty kill streak.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6635|IRELAND

When im flying im looking at my minimap maybe 50% of the time.
Its like driving a car. Every 5-10 seconds you should scan all three mirrors for whats behind you and gives you a safer drive.
Exactly the same with the mini map.
When a UAV is over you and you hit the zoom mini map, you can see who is around the corner and if they have their back to you or not. You can see a whole squad and exactly were they are and lob a grenade over the fence..................it goes on an on. Anyone who dosent use it whould be spanked with a dried seabass.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6698|Devon, England
i would be kinda lost without my minimap. in all games, to be gr8, u hav to use ur minimap/radar effectively
Possum61
+9|6756|Philly PA USA

superfly_cox wrote:

uber73 wrote:

dear god....

my apologies if this wanky post has offended your sensibilities.
lol  lol   Nice fly 
Answeller
Usual Suspect
+16|6706|İstanbul,Türkiye
I would like to add this to your guide:
4- Empty veichles and static defence posts (Stinger-Tow) show as gray if its suddenly dissapers from your minimap:
a) It blown up
b) Enemy took it (%90)
skratch-x
+25|6644|NY, USA

Yong-OV wrote:

Happened just yesterday... I spotted (as commander) an enemy at one of our flags. A blue dot walks past the flag, and walks, and walks and finaly gets killed by the red dot that he did not even see.....
I have no clue how often I spam-spotted this red dot. Probably a dozen times. this guy was just resistent to any kind of help.
I know exactly what you mean.  However, think of it from the infantry's point of view.  You're concentrating on a lot of things, and you hear "Enemy infantry spotted!  Enemy sniper spotted!  Enemy infantry spotted!  Enemy infantry spotted!  Enemy boat spotted!  Enemy infantry spotted!" fucking every five seconds.  It's difficult to notice every time when one of those is near you.  A lot of people tune it out because they find it annoying.  I think it's very useful, but hard to always get the most out of.
uber73
+188|6759|Brisbane
its not a matter of seeing EXACLTY where they are... its the fact that when an enemy is spotted, its ONTO the minimap... so if the spotted enemy is not under the umberella of the uav, they are still blipped on the map...

Last edited by uber73 (2006-05-16 08:08:10)

Torin
+52|6700

polarbearz wrote:

Heh. I was going to say.

1) Look at it
Ditto.
tupla_s
+455|6600|Finland

Speelbal wrote:

Many people tend to forget their minimap. I think watching for friendly arty is one of the most important features of your minimap.
I'll second that...
there would be lot less team kills by artillery if they would just bother to check the minimap sometimes
kaptainflam
+2|6722

Yong-OV wrote:

Hello,
did you notice that you have to wait for the scan is over before spotting otherwise the red dot doesn't appear on the minimap only the message "ennemy spotted"...
Cheers.
KF.
Trooper_Collider
+25|6752
Good Work! You wouldn't know how many times when I command I have to tell the men: "When arty calls watch ur minimap"; coz they simply don't!!

Semper Fi!
gunpiss
+19|6689
For Stinger-Tow-Mounted MG, I don't think they will disppear or change color when ocuppied.

Correct me if I am wrong.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6713|Antarctica

superfly_cox wrote:

This may seem like a silly post, afterall everybody knows how to use the minimap:  Its in the upper right corner of your screen and blue dots are your teammates, green dots are squad mates and red dots are enemies.  Yes simple enough but in my experience as commander it amazes me how many people will driving by a flag in a tank will not notice me spotting an enemy trying to cap that flag.

So here are my quick tips to effectively using the mini-map:

1) Map the toggle zoom on minimap to your mouse (if you've got more than three clickable buttons) or to a readily accessible keyboard key.  The mini-map has three zoom levels that show you the map with increasing details.  I cannot stress enough the importance of constantly switching the zoom level to balance between your need to zoom in to assist you in local fighting and zooming out to visualize the entire battlefield and see what the commander is spotting.  When I play I am constantly adjusting this view in order to increase my awareness of the battlefield and thus i have mapped the the toggle zoom button on my fourth mouse button.

2) Set Your Minimap to follow the player (don't use static map).  I have played with both and from my experience the map that follows the player gives you a much quicker perspective.  The reason for this is because the mini-map's main function is to show you other player's position relative you.  If you are playing with the map that follows the player then all dots that are north are in front of you, south behind you etc.  Very simple to see and process.  If you use the static map, you must first identify where your view cone is pointing and then adjust for where the dots are.  The result is that you will always be a step slower using the static map.  As you get better BF2 and start to know the maps the usefulness of the static map to help you find your bearings will become nil...also, if you want to see a static map you can always press capslock to see the big map.

Judging from this post (http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=16033) most people use static so there will be those of you who disagree because you have become accustomed to it and can process its information really quickly.  Well, I was one of you but I gave the follow the player option a try...at first I didn't like it, but then after a week I got used to it and I can tell you there's a huge advantage.  Consider this...You glance at the mini map and there is a red dot about 15 meters northwest of your center dot:
  a) Static: Identify where you view cone is facing AND then turn accordingly.
  b) Follow the Player: Turn 45 degrees to your left.

3) Look at it constantly to:
  a) figure out where people are hiding.  I get soooo many tank kills by looking at the map and then figuring out where people are hiding.  Red dot to my right...building there...must be on the roof but i don't see him...fire at the little water tower on the roof...Superfly_Cox killed GuyWhoWasHidingOnRoof.  Splash damage is a bitch.
  b) make sure you are not firing at friendlies (blue tags will not immediately show up when you target a player).

Additions by posters:

Mj.Blindfisch:

Answeller:
a) It blown up
b) Enemy took it (%90)
I disagree about the static map.  I have never had problems using static maps, ftp maps are very confusing and disorienting imo.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6700|England

polarbearz wrote:

Heh. I was going to say.

1) Look at it
That's a classic
Shadow893
lel
+75|6700|England

uber73 wrote:

dear god....

Great post
Answeller
Usual Suspect
+16|6706|İstanbul,Türkiye

gunpiss wrote:

For Stinger-Tow-Mounted MG, I don't think they will disppear or change color when ocuppied.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Yup they are also disappearing try it if you dont believe me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard