[OvC]_AMD_Man
+2|6816|England
heh, seems my paging fexecutive was already disabled

must have been Tweak XP
d3x74
+14|6647|NY
A couple of suggestions. Dont set pb_sleep all the way too 500 or else right in the middle of the game you time out when it connects to pb.

Also disabling paging is not a good idea. Since the current xp kernel has optimizations for it, it would be better if you set it to a fixed amount say 1024MB min and max. That way it does not invoke any allocation schemes that can chew up CPU time.
[OvC]_AMD_Man
+2|6816|England
yep, bf2 would not run without a paging file, so its back on

seems tweak xp and windows had some conflict in which it appeared to be set to off although it was on, i set it off, bf2 would not run, back on and all is fine

so whats a good figure for pb_sleep?  200?
Typh00n
In Flames
+22|6545|42
i did everything you said but my console looks a little bit crappy now..
Cant see anything in there
Any ideas to bring it back?
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6633|Derby, England

Typh00n wrote:

i did everything you said but my console looks a little bit crappy now..
Cant see anything in there
Any ideas to bring it back?
Should of made back ups like it's asking you to!

Peace Boris
IC_Draconis
+9|6719
The temptation is always great when you have a RAM packed machine to totally eliminate the page file. Don't do it. By design, some components in Windows XP require the presence of a page file, even if they never use it for its intended purpose. You'll likely receive out of memory type errors if you eliminate all page files. Feel free to set the page file to the required minimum (2MB) if you have sufficient RAM, secure in the knowledge that XP won't access the page file unless it's absolutely needed, but again - DON'T eliminate it totally!!!

Thanks for your attention!
jokerhv
+1|6688
tks for the info
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6848|-
Moving this to the BF2 Help section.
Tehme4
+5|6560
That guide thing is great man but I can't do alot of them as I am not very computer savvy. But I do have one problem I need help with, on tip 2 on renaming the BF2.exe file. I know I went to the right place, certain, but I searched the many files but couldn't find it. But I did find a file named, bf2_w32ded. Is this the .exe file? As I know nothing about computers the only conclusion I came to was that the patch I installed, the newest one with vehicle drop and such changed the name of the .exe file but I am no way sure so I didn't touch it. Could anyone give me any help in completing Tip 2? I would really appreciate it as I have awful lag.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6598|Seattle

Just "search" your computer for bf2.exe
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6644|England
Well Me4 the Battlefield 2 icon is the one you want. Some computers (mine) either have BF2 or Battlefield 2 and the red 2 above it. This is the .exe.
Tehme4
+5|6560
But I have two like that. I clicked on one called just plain old BF2 nad that started up the game. Is that the right one? I haven't clivcked on the other one yet....
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6644|England
I believe the plain old one is the one you want. Right click and rename

then send to desktop, again through right click
Tehme4
+5|6560
Thanks Davi.
j5f5ff
+11|6751
great info   +1
SFR-Rooo
+19|6643|portsmouth uk
some very sound advice there and well contributed .Igive some of them ago for sure thanks for the hints,any on playing the damn game?...only kidding.....!
-=Gars44=-
+1|6524|The 10th Level of Hell
i love you
BoomWav
+3|6523|St-Esprit, Québec, Canada
Good guide thnx
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6710|England. Stoke
If I rename the BF2 exe. and shortcut do I have to do the same for Special forces??
KtotheIMMY
+513|6764
Nice job!
KillerYaNk
Hard Case
+11|6682|S.E. United States

badhq wrote:

Thanx Guys I havent writen it I found it and tought people Might be intrested in it Peace Boris
well finding it and posting it has helped many Im sure.I had already implemented the #1 tweak some time ago.think Ill give #2-3 a shot and post the results,if any,later.
thnx
Heffty
+9|6769|Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Do all these fixes apply to Special Forces as well? Do I need to do these twice, once for Vanilla and once for SF? Thanks.

Regarding Tip 4: So do I use this now instead of the changed .exe file in Tip 2?

Last edited by Heffty (2006-06-26 16:19:34)

IC_Draconis
+9|6719
Couple of answers for you guys....

If you renamed BF2.exe to anything else, you have to use the new file name in the command line to set the exe file to high priority or setting the RAM heapsize.
Although you can set the priority to whatever you want by manually as well:

- Start BF2 and wait for the login screen.
- Don't log in. Push Alt+Tab to minimize BF2 to the tray.
- Push Alt+Ctrl+Del to bring up the Task Manager
- Get to the processes page and search for BF2.exe (or whatever you renamed it)
- Right click on it and and choose set priority...there you can set it to whatever you want
Some machines are sensitive to priority changes while the said program is running. So if you experience instability (NOT connection lost) don't change it.
Experience with the command line also...it can cause CTD as well on some machines.

Setting heapsize for BF2 doesn't necessary on every machine and I don't see the point why would you even need it. If your graphical settings require a certain amount of memory than BF2 will use it. If you run out of RAM, Windows will use the page file.
Now if you have 2GB RAM, almost all your processes can run in it but windows will still use ~180MB in the page file. For the kernel and some other processes which won't run in RAM... (That's how it works on my rig with the page file set to a fixed amount of 2615MB...can be slightly different on yours)

Regarding the Windows reserved 20% of my bandwith...
I keep hearing this thing over and over.
I explain to you how it works. Windows has a theoretical 20% bandwith reserve for processes that require internet access. However it is not reserved constantly...it's not an idle part of your bandwith. If there is no windows process that needs access to the internet, than it's free to use to other programs.
It's just a priority matter....and if a certain process require access to it (like svchost.exe) it doesn't necessary use the total 20%.
So I suggest to keep the setting on 20%. You won't run many things while you play BF2 anyway.

Changes to Special Forces as well?
It all depends which desktop icon you run to start the game.
I usually run the original BF2.exe to play the game. If a certain map requires SF the game switch to it but it will run on the same exe.
If you run the game from the SF desktop icon you may want to rename the movies in the "xpack" folder as well. So your machine won't load them in the memory...same way you did it in BF2 vanilla.

I never had any problem with setting pb_sleep to 500. I never been kicked by any server for PB reasons.
Unmodified contents....hmmm...if the manual PB update won't help and you renamed the BF2.exe file to something else, try to rename it to the original...may work...or not...but worth a try.

Hope these helped for some of you.

Have a nice day!

Drac

Last edited by IC_Draconis (2006-06-27 04:22:31)

Lunatic_480
+4|6533
There is also a tweaking guide for BF2 video settings. This article describes all settings as setting all options to max. has no advantage in the game. I need to check where it is... be right back!!!

...secondly badhq: keep up to good work...

Found it: In Game Tweak Guide

Last edited by Lunatic_480 (2006-06-27 04:35:02)

Heffty
+9|6769|Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I did this...

[4578]
LongName=Battlefield 2
ShortName=bf2
Icon=bf2.ico
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electro nic Arts\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\InstallDir
LauncherExe=BF21.exe

But I can't join other peoples games and I they can't see what game I am in.

Last edited by Heffty (2006-06-28 23:15:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard