Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

I don't know if any of you guys have seen the latest episode of South Park.  It has the whole town trying to stop a cartoon from displaying the image of Islamic prophet Muhammad. I didn't know that they were actually making fun of their own network "Comedy Central". Apparently they would not let them show the image on South Park .. read for yourself...
My question is if they can show Jesus toting around a machine gun, then why can't they show pictures of Mohammed?

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
51 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy — in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians — instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.

In an elaborately constructed two-part episode of their Peabody Award-winning cartoon, "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker intended to comment on the controversy created by a Danish newspaper's publishing of caricatures of Muhammad. Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous.

When the cartoons were reprinted in newspapers worldwide in January and February, it sparked a wave of protests primarily in Islamic countries.

Parker and Stone were angered when told by Comedy Central several weeks ago that they could not run an image of Muhammad, according to a person close to the show who didn't want to be identified because of the issue's sensitivity.

The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said.

Comedy Central said in a statement issued Thursday: "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." Its executives would not comment further.

As is often the case with Parker and Stone, they built "South Park" around the incident. In Wednesday's episode, the character Kyle is shown trying to persuade a Fox network executive to air an uncensored "Family Guy" even though it had an image of Muhammad.

"Either it's all OK, or none of it is," Kyle said. "Do the right thing."

The executive decides to strike a blow for free speech and agrees to show it. But at the point where Muhammad is to be seen, the screen is filled with the message: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Muhammad on their network."

It is followed shortly by the images of Christ, Bush and the flag.

A frequent "South Park" critic, William Donohue of the anti-defamation group Catholic League, called on Parker and Stone to resign out of principle for being censored.

"The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central — that's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad or not — it's Parker and Stone," he said. "Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade."

Parker and Stone did not immediately respond to a request through a spokesman for comment.

It's the second run-in over religion in a few months for the satirists. Comedy Central pulled a March rerun of a "South Park" episode that mocked Scientologists. Isaac Hayes, a Scientologist who voiced the Chef character on the show, resigned in protest over the episode.

"South Park" again got the last word last month with an episode where Chef was seemingly killed and mourned as a jolly guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club," which turns its members into pedophiles.

Only last week, "South Park" won broadcasting's prestigious Peabody. Awards director Horace Newcomb said at the time that by its offensiveness, the show "reminds us of the need for being tolerant."
https://toledolarp.com/higgy/avatars/bunny_mo.gif

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-04-13 22:17:05)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6614
MUSLIMS cant show a depiction of muhummad

funny fucking episode last night
millhous
+39|6607|OREEGONE, USA
This show is great.  It shows what freedom of speech is really about.  Where else can Abraham Lincoln get shot in the head as a statue and a bunch of religeous figures fight david blane in the same episode?
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6668
I didn't think the episode was that great, TiVod it and watched it 2 and a half times then got bored. I'm still sticking with FG
millhous
+39|6607|OREEGONE, USA
I agree that this season so far has gotten off to a slow start. But they always managed to turn around and come up with some great stuff.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado
I wish I would have grown up with them{matt & trey}, they are my heros, if only everyone could tell it like it is instead of sugarcoating it.
IronFerret
+48|6627|Mexico City.
they start in great, but going down late seasons are weak.
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6705|cairns australia
https://x10.putfile.com/3/6311121497-thumb.jpg

Last edited by pokerplaya (2006-04-14 04:32:40)

jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
One of the best programs!

AKA the jeffresons if the best episode!
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6741|AUS, Canberra

jord wrote:

no your ignorant.
jord

the_heart_attack wrote:

jord wrote:

no your ignorant.
Ahehehe!
Come to my wishing tree.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6633|USA
So much for a debate...

I like what they did. Kyle's right. Either its ok to crap on all religion or non....I prefer all. Muslims aren't untouchable...sorry. I'd be damned if after everything that show has cracked on...they are to be on eggshells with the muslim issue.....right.....

They made a great point.
arson
+99|6607|New York
I think it was the right thing to do, not showing the cartoon picture. Anyone with half a brain knows that people got killed in the aftermath of the last cartoon publication.  Thats a big problem with the world today, no one has respect for anything besides themselves.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6808
True however. Anyone who will take to arms and kill his fellow man over a Cartoon episode should be hunted down and Civilized.
Erkut.hv
+124|6706|California
Give Parker and Stone Presidential Freedom awards, if they have them. Any wonder why Muslims are getting emboldened every day? Because this politically correct pussy version of America is being allowed to dictate what people can and cannt see. It all started with not showing bodies jumping off the twin towers, beheading videos, etc... but they'll cover some cracker in Aruba who went missing for a year, because the girls dumb bitch of a mother let her go to a foreign country by herself. Or cover Cindy sheehans fat dyke looking ass protesting like a hypocritical ciznunt.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6742|Atlanta, GA USA

arson wrote:

I think it was the right thing to do, not showing the cartoon picture. Anyone with half a brain knows that people got killed in the aftermath of the last cartoon publication.  Thats a big problem with the world today, no one has respect for anything besides themselves.
That's bullshit.  So it's okay to crack on everybody else, but not on muslims?  Its called Freedom of Speech.  Nobody has the right to not be offended.  That is something we are forgetting in this age of Political Correctness.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6595|Cherry Pie
The reason they can show the Christian symbols on TV and not Mohammad is because Secular Progressives are attempting to wipe away Christianity in this country.  Hence the reason many stores did not say "Merry Christmas" this last holiday season.  They said "Happy Holidays". 

And also because Muslims are crazy mother fuckers and will jump up and down waving flags and killing people if we did that cartoon.  Like a bunch of rabid worthless monkeys.
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6705|cairns australia
in australia they showed the scientology episode.this may spark a debate on freedom of speech.i believe that they have the right to show the image,just as muslims have the right to (peacefully) protest the showing.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6633|USA

pokerplaya wrote:

in australia they showed the scientology episode.this may spark a debate on freedom of speech.i believe that they have the right to show the image,just as muslims have the right to (peacefully) protest the showing.
Fundamentalist Muslims have mental issues. They need to use their brains for Mohammeds sake.

I feel bad for the millions of practicing muslims who conduct themselves like the rest of the world. Civilized, practicing tolerance. I work with many muslims and none of them called for the beheading of those Danish cartoonists.

But now the "free" country is bowing down from a "sensitive" subject? I'm sorry. Do I work for Arabs? Do I pay my dues to Mohammed? I think not and I'll be Mohammed-damned if crazy wacked out muslims are changing the way I live/think/feel....limit yourself....your not going to limit me.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

South Park pales in comparison to MADTV's depiction of a Terminator spawn-camping Judas as Jesus keeps trying to resurrect him. But on topic, the offensive image of Jesus was meant to highlight the sheer hypocrisy that one religious parody would be censored while another is allowed.

In this, the network is accepting by default that it's perfectly acceptable to slam Christianity, but not Islam because the anything depicting the latter in a bad light has an unacceptable level of political incorrectness, and therefor must be censored.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-15 10:06:07)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

TrollmeaT wrote:

I wish I would have grown up with them{matt & trey}, they are my heros, if only everyone could tell it like it is instead of sugarcoating it.
True dat, politcal correctness is forcing us not to be who we are.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
arson
+99|6607|New York

atlvolunteer wrote:

arson wrote:

That's bullshit.  So it's okay to crack on everybody else, but not on muslims?  Its called Freedom of Speech.  Nobody has the right to not be offended.  That is something we are forgetting in this age of Political Correctness.
Theres a bigger picture to think about. Exactly who's age of political correctness are you referring to, the offenders or those being offended?
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6742|Atlanta, GA USA

arson wrote:

atlvolunteer wrote:

arson wrote:

Theres a bigger picture to think about. Exactly who's age of political correctness are you referring to, the offenders or those being offended?
HUH?  Look, there's a little thing called freedom of speech in this country.  This fundamental right is being limited by Political Correctness.  Like I said before, there is no contitutional right to not be offended.
And answer me this question: why is it okay to make fun of Jesus and Christianity, but not Muslims or Mohammed?
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617
Funny how here in America crime happens everyday too. You see murder and all that crap on TV. But the difference is we don't go saying it was for Jesus. We don't hide behind religion like a bunch of pussies.

Anyways, I didn't know that comedy central ACTUALLY wouldn't let them show it. That makes it even more funny and a huge diss to muslim extremists.
jord
Lol,i just saw that carnival episode.I call shinanagons!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard