M2412%12% - 61
M9515%15% - 75
L96a158%58% - 276
Type885%5% - 26
Svd7%7% - 33
Total: 471
Impaqt
+37|6636|Chicago, Il
Unless your hacking and have the Fog turned off, 800-1000m Kills are immpossible.  I'd like to see someone drop a supply crate and go 800m away from it and post a screenshot of you being able to see the Supply crate(With the little 800m icon above it)

Personally, I dont believe the 500m claims around here.  350-400 is about the max you can effectively see onmost maps.

EDIT: Opps, forgot the poll..

Still partial to the M95 myself.  I play a lot of SF where the L96 isnt available.....  Just got used to the way the M95 feels.....  Stick with it most of the time.

Last edited by Impaqt (2006-04-10 16:02:20)

Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6692|Mountains of West Virginia
800m sniper hit? Bullshit

Try and place youself 800m away from a flag. I think there are about only a few places in the whole game where 800m is accesable. (minus the essex)
Books_DCDF
+80|6656

?? wrote:

PLZ vote

i used the ghost unlocks before the EF came out now im regretting it i want ot unlock the L96 soo bad cause i always get killed by it i use the M24 now man its sweet but L96 has better scope and reload time
While I like the L96 a lot and use it nearly exclusively when playing MEC or Chinese, I prefer the M24 and use it most often when playing U.S.  It's probably just me, but I've found I'm a bit more accurate with the '24 than the '96.  I'll agree with EvilMonkeySlayer, though, that it's largely a matter of personal preference and play style, as well as what works best for the situation you find yourself in.  If I'm being pestered by a chopper, I'll either respawn with an M95 or (preferably) I'll kill an enemy sniper who's kitted out with one and switch kits.  Kill a chopper pilot a few times with a '95 and they tend to stay away from you.  All of the rifles can be extremely effective weapons if implemented properly.

?? wrote:

also whats the farthest u killed someone form mine is 500meters
Some of this was noted on a previous thread ("Longest Confirmed Kill by a Sniper"), but I have no problem restating it here.  My longest single-shot kill on an unwounded soldier is 399 meters on Kubra Dam, from the cliff above the Refueling Station to the Supervisor's Base.  A headshot on the 12.7  gunner in an FAV.  He'd just spawned at the Materials Station and drove up the trail to cap the flag, then jumped to the 12.7 to shoot at a Blackhawk.  One shot with an M24.  I've taken down a target at over 450 meters on Kubra, too, but I don't know his previous health condition and I couldn't see the individual soldier because of draw distance limitations.  Again, he was in an FAV on the 12.7 firing at something, and all I could see were the tracer rounds going out.  I could see the rear machine gun's pintel mount on the FAV and fired at it, hitting him (or the FAV) on the second shot.  I missed with the next two rounds, but finally scored another hit with my fifth shot and received the kill message.  I witnessed [GDC]SinnFein make a headshot on an unwounded soldier from 502 meters (over three months later and I'm still awestruck by this shot).

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

I'ma fair Sniper and I like the l9 alot.  As soon as i unlocked that weapon, i was playing on dalian plant and i took a blackhawk to the huge mountain next to the mec airfield (chinese?).  Anyways i was upwards of 800 meters on top of a friggin 500 ft. mountain.  BOOM HEADSHOT!  dropped the guy, i was so proud.
I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm not sure that mountain is 500 ft. tall, and no one I've spoke to can see anything more than 550 meters away, let alone a single individual soldier.  I've got a fairly middle-of-the-road vid card (128 meg 6600GT) and I can't see individuals beyond 420 meters even on extremely clear maps like Kubra or Dragon Valley.  A few close friends of mine have recently upgraded to NVidia 7900 cards and they lose sight of individuals circa 550 meters on those same maps.  I guess I'd have to know more about your settings and your equipment before I'd be inclined to be unskeptical about that distance.  I'd encourage you to recheck that measurement; if you still come to the same conclusions, then my congratulations to you--that's an impressive shot.

Impaqt wrote:

Personally, I dont believe the 500m claims around here.  350-400 is about the max you can effectively see onmost maps.
I stand by my claim about [GDC]SinnFein.  He made the kill from the ridge above the Bridge Base on Kubra to the high crane above the Lower Dam.  The commander had a UAV up and spotted an enemy sniper on the end of the crane boom.  Two seconds later, I heard the crack of an M24, saw the kill message "[GDC]SinnFein (M24) {some poor surprised bastard}.  We weren't sure of the distance at the time, so I logged on later and checked the distance.  From where Sinny was at to the flag at the dam is 502 meters, and it's at least that distance to the crane boom.

Last edited by Books_DCDF (2006-04-10 16:18:14)

MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6594

Books_DCDF wrote:

?? wrote:

PLZ vote

i used the ghost unlocks before the EF came out now im regretting it i want ot unlock the L96 soo bad cause i always get killed by it i use the M24 now man its sweet but L96 has better scope and reload time
While I like the L96 a lot and use it nearly exclusively when playing MEC or Chinese, I prefer the M24 and use it most often when playing U.S.  It's probably just me, but I've found I'm a bit more accurate with the '24 than the '96.  I'll agree with EvilMonkeySlayer, though, that it's largely a matter of personal preference and play style, as well as what works best for the situation you find yourself in.  If I'm being pestered by a chopper, I'll either respawn with an M95 or (preferably) I'll kill an enemy sniper who's kitted out with one and switch kits.  Kill a chopper pilot a few times with a '95 and they tend to stay away from you.  All of the rifles can be extremely effective weapons if implemented properly.

?? wrote:

also whats the farthest u killed someone form mine is 500meters
Some of this was noted on a previous thread ("Longest Confirmed Kill by a Sniper"), but I have no problem restating it here.  My longest single-shot kill on an unwounded soldier is 399 meters on Kubra Dam, from the cliff above the Refueling Station to the Supervisor's Base.  A headshot on the 12.7  gunner in an FAV.  He'd just spawned at the Materials Station and drove up the trail to cap the flag, then jumped to the 12.7 to shoot at a Blackhawk.  One shot with an M24.  I've taken down a target at over 450 meters on Kubra, too, but I don't know his previous health condition and I couldn't see the individual soldier because of draw distance limitations.  Again, he was in an FAV on the 12.7 firing at something, and all I could see were the tracer rounds going out.  I could see the rear machine gun's pintel mount on the FAV and fired at it, hitting him (or the FAV) on the second shot.  I missed with the next two rounds, but finally scored another hit with my fifth shot and received the kill message.  I witnessed [GDC]SinnFein make a headshot on an unwounded soldier from 502 meters (over three months later and I'm still awestruck by this shot).

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

I'ma fair Sniper and I like the l9 alot.  As soon as i unlocked that weapon, i was playing on dalian plant and i took a blackhawk to the huge mountain next to the mec airfield (chinese?).  Anyways i was upwards of 800 meters on top of a friggin 500 ft. mountain.  BOOM HEADSHOT!  dropped the guy, i was so proud.
I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm not sure that mountain is 500 ft. tall, and no one I've spoke to can see anything more than 550 meters away, let alone a single individual soldier.  I've got a fairly middle-of-the-road vid card (128 meg 6600GT) and I can't see individuals beyond 420 meters even on extremely clear maps like Kubra or Dragon Valley.  A few close friends of mine have recently upgraded to NVidia 7900 cards and they lose sight of individuals circa 550 meters on those same maps.  I guess I'd have to know more about your settings and your equipment before I'd be inclined to be unskeptical about that distance.  I'd encourage you to recheck that measurement; if you still come to the same conclusions, then my congratulations to you--that's an impressive shot.

Impaqt wrote:

I stand by my claim about [GDC]SinnFein.  He made the kill from the ridge above the Bridge Base on Kubra to the high crane above the Lower Dam.  The commander had a UAV up and spotted an enemy sniper on the end of the crane boom.  Two seconds later, I heard the crack of an M24, saw the kill message "[GDC]SinnFein (M24) {some poor surprised bastard}.  We weren't sure of the distance at the time, so I logged on later and checked the distance.  From where Sinny was at to the flag at the dam is 502 meters, and it's at least that distance to the crane boom.
Ok, well.
My estimate of 800 meters is probably wrong because I'm not a good judge of distncae, honestly I'm horrible with directions as well.
Ok if someone would like to measure from the top of the highest mountain next to the MEC arifield to the helo pad...that's the shot i made.  I could barely see the guy but i saw his head and gave about an inch of onscreen bullet frop and hit him in the head.
Probably 400 or so meters, my mistake.
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6670|A sunburnt country
I voted for the L96A1 but still have a soft spot for the M24.  I only choose the L96A1 because of the 1 second quicker reload.  Doesn't seem like much but it has definitely saved me a few times.
Rizen_Ji
+41|6733|200m out and smiling at you.
Type 88 will always have a place with me, but if i'm on city maps M95, L96A1 is my all purpose rifle
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6726|Louisiana
I voted M24, it just feels the best to me. The L96A1 is functionally pretty similar except it does less damage, so if I can't use the M24 I use the L96A1.
R0lyP0ly
+161|6651|USA

xintegrityx wrote:

I voted M24, it just feels the best to me. The L96A1 is functionally pretty similar except it does less damage, so if I can't use the M24 I use the L96A1.
The L96 does the same damage - one shot to the head, 2 to the torso = You [L96] Him

The L96 has quicker reload and an easier to use scope (due to thinner reticules)
Books_DCDF
+80|6656
I think the damage caused by th L96 varies according to hit location.  I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but there have been times when, as a sniper, I've been hit by an L96 and it only reduced my health by ~40-45%; at other times I've been hit by it and it reduced me to 2 bars (the same as the damage caused by an M24 or an M95).  That's never happened to me when I've been hit by an M24.  The only conclusion I could come to was that I was hit in the arm/leg or some other non-vital area.  An extremely experienced fellow soldier in the 38P (a BF2C army that [GDC]SinnFein, MantisboySniper/Death to Bunnies, and I are in) informed me that it was because the L96 and the M24 have different "shot boxes" so some hits with the L96 will cause less damage.  I trust his information, but I have no direct evidence to support or refute it.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?
R0lyP0ly
+161|6651|USA

Books_DCDF wrote:

I think the damage caused by th L96 varies according to hit location.  I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but there have been times when, as a sniper, I've been hit by an L96 and it only reduced my health by ~40-45%; at other times I've been hit by it and it reduced me to 2 bars (the same as the damage caused by an M24 or an M95).  That's never happened to me when I've been hit by an M24.  The only conclusion I could come to was that I was hit in the arm/leg or some other non-vital area.  An extremely experienced fellow soldier in the 38P (a BF2C army that [GDC]SinnFein, MantisboySniper/Death to Bunnies, and I are in) informed me that it was because the L96 and the M24 have different "shot boxes" so some hits with the L96 will cause less damage.  I trust his information, but I have no direct evidence to support or refute it.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?
actually, now that you mention it (plus with a few notable experiences earlier today), i have to say that that has happened. It may have been from a non-vital hit area, or even from a richocet, which I believe (as in possesing no tangible evidence) can and does occur. Although Books, how do you know if one of those -45% health shots was indeed from an M24 (if it didn't kill you, you wouldnt know); the kill shot may have then been delivered via L96
R0lyP0ly
+161|6651|USA
PS - what is that 38P thing, i had been meaning to ask you earlier...

EDIT - are you looking for any new members?? bc i...ummm....have a....have a... friend, you see...and...he..ummm..he was looking....for....ummm....yea

Last edited by R0lyP0ly (2006-04-10 19:58:07)

[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6784|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
It was I who pulled the trigger:)
R0lyP0ly
+161|6651|USA

[GDC]SinnFein wrote:

It was I who pulled the trigger:)
lol yea and Sinny likes you so much that his bullets have a rubber nose when they hit you, yielding only a damnable bruise...

lmao
Books_DCDF
+80|6656

R0lyP0ly wrote:

Books_DCDF wrote:

actually, now that you mention it (plus with a few notable experiences earlier today), i have to say that that has happened. It may have been from a non-vital hit area, or even from a richocet, which I believe (as in possesing no tangible evidence) can and does occur. Although Books, how do you know if one of those -45% health shots was indeed from an M24 (if it didn't kill you, you wouldnt know); the kill shot may have then been delivered via L96
That's a good, legitimate question, ROly, but I believe you're actually asking me if it wasn't possible that one of those -45% hits was from an M24, right?  Well, that may have happened and I only suspected that I was hit by an L96--I'll admit that.  But I suspect that that hasn't been the case, because I've only noticed it occurring since the L96 was made available with the release of 1.21; it never happened to me prior to that.  And in at least two cases that it's happened, I heard the shot, spotted the sniper, and was killed shortly later by the same individual, so I know that in those instances, the hits came solely from an L96.  Again, that sort of situation has never occurred when I've been up against someone with an M24.  But that may just be a coincidence too.

Regarding the possibility that it was a ricochet . . . well, I'd never considered that, but I really like that idea and think there might be something to it.  But if so, wouldn't all other rifles also produce ricochets (with the attendant reduced damage)?  And if so, what sort of damage would be caused by the ricochet from an M95?

With respect to your question about the 38P's recruiting, I believe that it's always looking for good and dedicated troops.  The $3.00 per month it costs is a pittance compared to the enjoyment you'll get from the two 10-hour battles that are held each week.  I'll warn you though, it will strongly affect the way you approach your BF2 gameplay; it's extremely team-oriented and focused on timing, strategy and tactics, and teamwork.  Communication is paramount, and everyone has specific jobs and duties that they're expected to perform.  In short, it's everything that BF2 was meant to be (and could be, with players who we're focused on cooperating for the betterment of the team as opposed to individual glory).  It's addictive and incredibly invigorating, and a very high level of camaraderie develops between members of the individual units (and to a lesser extent, between most members of a given army).  In summary, it's professional.  But that will make you frustrated when you go on public servers because you'll come to expect and want that level of professionalism whenever you play BF2, and you're unlikely to find it on a public server.

I could go on, but I don't want to hijack this thread; if you're interested, PM Sinny or me and we'll be happy to provide you with more info.  A new 3-month tour of duty starts next week (the 38P were the champions of the last tour, racking up the best battle record of any of the U.S., MEC, or Chinese armies in BF2C).

Last edited by Books_DCDF (2006-04-10 20:58:48)

Sniper007
+1|6601
I voted for all 5 because you fucked up the poll.

I hate the M95. Can't hit the carrier from 2 feet away with it.
The M24 is nice because it can be used in organized matches, so it's good to get used to it. Its awesome accuracy and power are just a nice bonus.
The L96 seems weaker to me (I've been hit by it and not been taken down to 2 bars), but I hit much more often with it.
I am even worse with the SVD/Type 88 than I am with the M95. I have achieved only 1 headshot with the SVD, versus several with the other rifles (I only have about an hour with the Sniper Rifle; I chose to get my Sniper badges in a jet:)).

M24 is the best because it can be used on any server under any settings.
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6784|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
LOL, first off, was a 96' tobesure.. secondly, books? are you implying that I missed? a ricochet? ricochet? we don't need no steekin' rico-chet's. Always loved 'blazing Saddles'.
Books_DCDF
+80|6656
I'd never imply, infer, suggest, or state that you missed any target you were aiming at, Sinny; I've seen you make too many kills that I thought were impossible shots, and--so that everybody doesn't think you've always taken it easy on me--I've been on the receiving end of your sights enough times when I thought there was no way anyone could hit me.  You sir, are an expert marksman, as most anyone who's faced you can attest.  I'm merely suggesting that an unanticipated gust of wind or poorly balanced bullet may have affected your rifle's MOA, thus resulting in only a wound rather than what otherwise would surely have been an instant and messy death .

And damn! man, when are you going to find some time to snipe with me again?!  Saturday night was great, but I'm in need of some inspiration--I've got to see a master at work more than once a week if I'm going to learn anything!
??
+32|6597
ok challenge accepted ill try for 800meters ill show screen shot of before and after i dont know how to make movies im also goiong to post my NEW MEDAL
good conduct go it with my m24
Kontrolfreq
+50|6602|Cambridge UK
Just recently unlocked the L9, i'm loving it. The M95 is cool too but it's usefulness is more limited. (hitting damaged choppers, picking peeps out of humvees.) Once you have the L9 i see no reason to use the M24 at all. The Type88 / SVD have some merit in mid-range combat, but i'll still generally pick the L9, plus i love that noise it makes... "phoom, fffzzzzz"

L9 ftw
see-pie
+1|6674|Denmark
Lol i remember once i killed a person who was further away than they BF2 eye can see... but that was PURE luck haha dunno how far that is though...
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6692|Howell, Mi USA
The L96a1 pwns all.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
TodErnst
It's not a bug, it's a feature
+38|6626|Muenster, Germany
L96A1 ! I love it for its great sound

M95 to get the heli down in peninsula !
I love to do that
The Buzz
Hired to kill... you... and you...and you
+8|6728|Québec, Canada
M95 is by far the better gun... in my humble opinion, but it would be nicer if it sounded and reloaded like the L96...sweet !!!
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6593|Toronto-Canada
the m24 is the best no doubt!
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6644
Seeing as how you just have to take your pistol out after one hit, the SVD and Type 88 suck. As far as the M95, M24, and L96 go it's all about preference. Accuracy against more damage.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard