The Buzz
Hired to kill... you... and you...and you
+8|6731|Québec, Canada
Nyte plays on servers where most are newbies, cause his guide applies only when playing novice players.

lmfao

muuuaaaaahahahhahaa

I've been hired to kill you... and you... and Nyte
NeoCommander
Banned
+15|6644|USA
Good post mate.

Last edited by NeoCommander (2006-04-08 19:14:26)

WarrioR.WithiN
+1|6599
NyTE:

Great guide, question about something you could add...

What sort of hardware do you have?

What sort of in-game settings do you think work best for a sniper?

i.e.    Mouse Sensitivity
        Which shadow/lighting settings work best for sniping/what do you use?
        etc. , etc.

keep it up
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

The Buzz wrote:

Nyte plays on servers where most are newbies, cause his guide applies only when playing novice players.

lmfao

muuuaaaaahahahhahaa

I've been hired to kill you... and you... and Nyte
What servers are you talking about?

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2006-04-08 12:06:37)

JS-L1Wolf
+0|6680|Netherlands
I gotta agree on TrueArchon's comments about this being a crappy guide. Some of the rules Nyte gives, totally don't work in the game. And regarding the Buzz's post, i couldn't agree more man.
[MAA]MI2
+3|6773

TrueArchon wrote:

Some interesting comments on the "guide" but too strict in feel for my tastes on a few issues.  I'm gonna comment on some stuff, but keep in mind I'm an avid sniper player.  However, I've also put a decent amount of time in the other "kit" roles to see the other side of things, as well.

Nyte wrote:

RULE 2: Find a good hiding spot
This is BS.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Not entirely but still a worthwhile point.
Gotta agree with Todd.  It's not BS if it's still practical to be in a good sniping position that happens to:

A.  Provide cover on at least two sides for you.
B.  Provide concealment from passive enemy searches.
C.  Is a spot that an enemy is not going to immediately assumed as a "usual" sniping environment (i.e. building tops, mountain tops, etc.).

Nyte wrote:

RULE 5: Snipers don't capture flags
Fuck you yes they do. ....
Good point, but a sniper shouldn't be stupid about it, either.  Honestly, most of my deaths as a sniper can be attributed to lone flag capture attempts, and not for the lack of trying or decent tactics.  Plain and simple in this game...

Unless you're facing complete rookie players, three machine gun toting enemies are very likely gonna gun you down AND keep their flag... like it or not.

Nyte wrote:

.... Snipers are the 2nd most powerful unit for capturing flags losing only to Armor users. ....
Gotta disagree with you on both accounts.

Snipers and armor should be covering from a distance, and supporting a fire team to take the flag.  Sorry, but snipers, up close, without body armor, without a decent close range weapon, are looking to get killed (if not by enemy fire, but friendly fire as well).  A good sniper covers from a moderate distance, waits for the flag to neutralize, THEN moves in to finish the capture.  Not to mention he can spot out hidden enemies that he can see from his vantage point to the squad making the capture.

Likewise, the turrets of armor turn too slowly to avoid becoming a C4 sandwich to a sneaky spec-ops guy (let alone a mine-totting engineer) who just happened to spawn in behind you limited view.  Wasting valuable pieces of team equipment in such a manner doesn't help the team.

Nyte wrote:

.... You have 2 claymores which are basically going to push out any opposition advancing to kill you.  Just set it and forget it, while you are there holding your sniper rifle taking down farther targets advancing in.  A rule of thumb though, NEVER place claymores facing the same way near each other, else both will get set off.
Good points on the claymores... if you got them.  Same with taking out distant enemies looking to RETAKE a flag.  However, what about the enemies that just happened to spawn before you neutralize the flag?  Claymores are good, but not the end-all, be-all in reliability.  That's the problem with "fire and forget" munitions over a reactive squads, with heavy firepower, that are covering separate directions.

Nyte wrote:

RULE 6: Snipers should always stay in the back
While this may be true in some games, it isn't in here.  Doing this will not only make you useless for the team, but it make you bored real damn fast. Why useless?  Because in the end, you don't accomplish alot for the team; no flag capping, no flag holding (maybe a little), most likely less kills than half of the team, and not enough fear being put in the enemy.
I must reiterate my above comments to this.  A good flag-capturing sniper is one who supports a squad from a moderate distance... until flag neutralization.  A bad flag-capturing sniper is the lone Rambo that contributes to the team's ticket losses because he got outgunned.  From the other, above mentioned, extreme: if you're not making kills at a distance, at least you're not contributing to deaths either.  There has to be some middle ground and thought put into flag-capturing tactics.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Course they should, unless all you're playing for is kills and you don't care about the team's goals.
Kills are just as important in the game as flag captures, because both take away from the ticket totals.  However, as you pointed out, overall team goal of winning is still important.  So, a sniper who ISN'T making kills isn't contributing to the overall team goal of winning.

Trust me, there are plenty of times that I've sat somewhere terrorizing a spawn point with kills that often resulted in a sniper-manhunt that ended in at least three enemy troops (and commander artillery strikes against lil' ole' me) gunning for me instead of capturing flags.  That's just as important a role as taking the flags, AND is often not even noticed by the rest of the team.

Nyte wrote:

To be effective, you want to lower the morale of the enemy by being CRAZY AGGRESSIVE...
Interesting, but very likely gonna get you killed against any good player who happens to get a quick three or four accurate rapid fire rounds against you.  Snipers aren't the only ones with "skills" out there, and meeting your nemesis who happens to be good with a G3 or SCAR can end you day just as easily.

Nyte wrote:

see a 6 man squad? Run in their with your claymore!

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Well, maybe at short range but at anything longer, against players of even average skill, you might be facing two M4s, an MG36 and a SAW, an M16 and an L85A1 - and you're toast.
Couldn't have said it much better, Todd.  Oh yeah, there's also that claymore "arming time" thing too.  Don't know how many claymores I've ran past, gunning down the sniper, without any reprisal.  Even if there happens to be a reprisal, what's the best you got in the end?  He got you, and you got him?

Nyte wrote:

RULE 6: Be the predator, not the idiot ...
HELL YEAH!!!  Following you so far...

Nyte wrote:

... Hit someone with an M95 but they ran away? Hunt their ass down with your pistol junior! ...
Huh?  You're starting lose me as reality rears it's ugly head in my peripheral.  You want me to give up the fact that I have position AND first strike initiative to get in closer to his machine-gun that lays down at least 600 rpm?  No thanks, I'll take the likely kill assist from safety, or a patient second shot kill, over the chance of rambo-like battle charge that ends in a possible death.  Heck, it's not even rambo-like... at least Rambo had dual M60s! 

Nyte wrote:

.... It's a psychological effect for people to run and hide when they have 2 bars of HP left.  They are SCARED of you, they are most likely shaking their hands while holding the mouse. ....
Honestly, it's not the rookie/newbies I'm worried about in your above "rule."  It's the G3 assault veteran who happens to realize that all he has to do is dodge around a bit until he deploys his smoke grenade in the general direction that he was hit from.  You're overall conclusive opinion that someone who is running around, dodging, and hiding as "scared" isn't taking into the simple account that a moving target is a harder target to hit.  ESPECIALLY when the sniper you're dodging against has position and first strike against you!

As amusing as it sounds, the person you may be assuming as "shaking their hand while holding the mouse" may just as likely be buying himself time to formulate a plan to take himself out of a dangerous disadvantage, and possible reverse the roles against you.  That's at least what I'd be doing.  :shrug:

Nyte wrote:

.... See 5 snipers in the distance aiming at you? That's why M95 has 5 bullets! ....
... And the 1.8 second bolt reload action vs. the needed two bullets (out of five shots) to kill you isn't a factor in your arithmetic? 

Nyte wrote:

... I've seen many a player spraying for no apparent reason in the distance when I hit them in the body with my M95, I call that PHEAR. ...
... And I've seen many a player (myself included) switch his G3/SCAR/AK-47 to semi-auto, drop to a crouch, fire one shot, take a side step, crouch, fire a second shot, and rinse-repeat until a kill was achieved.  Besides, if spraying happens to be your only option, would you rather foregoe that in favor of rolling up and exposing your soft underbelly in defeat?  Not I.  I'd rather at least go for a half-way lucky head shot instead.

Honestly, Nyte, for anyone to take you seriously on a "sniper guide," you need to make it seem less of a public gloat session.  No one's dismissing your talent with the sniper kit, especially if they look at your scores.  However, it's also not like you're going out there and smiting the infidels with your mighty sniper rifle without reprisal, either.  You make good points, but cheapin' them with comments like the last two I rebuttled too.
OWNED! *ahem* In all seriousness though, Archon here is making some great points here, Nyte, swallow the ego if you actually want to make a proper guide.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

"OWNED! *ahem* In all seriousness though, Archon here is making some great points here, Nyte, swallow the ego if you actually want to make a proper guide."

Nice.
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6760
Another reason to use the SVD/Type 88 - sniper shotgunning. I discovered this when jumped by an assault class at close range. Stood up and fired all 10 shots in about 2 seconds, and he drops dead. Fun, and useful.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6752|Toronto, ON

WarrioR.WithiN wrote:

NyTE:

Great guide, question about something you could add...

What sort of hardware do you have?

What sort of in-game settings do you think work best for a sniper?

i.e.    Mouse Sensitivity
        Which shadow/lighting settings work best for sniping/what do you use?
        etc. , etc.

keep it up
I use:
AMD Athlon64 4000+ Clawhammer @ 2.6 GHz with Thermalright XP-120 Heatsink
2x1 GB OCZ PC3200 Gold Plated Dual Channel
Asus A8R32-MVP Motherboard
ATI X1900XT Master (Crossfire)
ATI X1900XT Slave (Crossfire)
SoundBlaster Live! 24-Bit Sound Card
BenQ FP937+ 19 Inch LCD
(Plantronics Audio .90 Headset for Games that require it) otherwise
Grado SR-125 Headphones (at night) otherwise
Logitech Z-3 2.1 Speakers
Logitech G5 Laser
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
fUnc 1030 Mousing Surface

I'd say for a sniper, the best in-game settings are: No shadows, no dynamic lights, farthest drawing distance, and as high AA as possible (else you might be hitting only jagged edges rather than the actual model).
Alpha as fuck.
dshak
+4|6813
I just noticed... one of his rules is to always take out choppers/vehicles... something like "you have a weapon that can take out choopers." I can only assume this means the M95... then later he says never to use the M95.

What gives?
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

my suggestion, practice accuracy with svd on 1 player, or get the euro force weapon test mod and practice with the m95 on single player, get your accuracy good with that type of rifle, then go online and use m95, it is more useful than m24 or l96a1 if used properly, many people hate it for it's accuracy, you just have to learn how to use it.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
LivelyToaster
+60|6720|Sacto, CA
as much as i hate Nyte's personality, i cant deny that the guide that he wrote is a good one for one of the many play styles that a sniper can choose from (Although IMO the play style he outlined is the best one). I think there's a lot of stuff to be learned from this guide, but poeple can't stop hating him because of his attitude.
dshak
+4|6813
I don't hate the guy at all... he's seems a bit full of himself but this is an internet forum, big surprise. I just don't get why people take the time to write things which, honest to god, any moron could figure out in 10 minutes. I also found some of the contradictions amusing.

I have two accounts, "dshak" and a sniper only account "H.O.O.K.F.I.N."... I think if you looked at either one you'd see I'm a decent sniper, especially the second one, but the LAST THING I'd ever want to do is post my tactics all over some forum. Hell, here it is:

DSHAKS SNIPER GUIDE
- FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS AND HOPE NOBODY ELSE FIGURES OUT WHAT YOU'RE UP TO

see, now I've contributed.
lord_tyler_486
+54|6752|Upper Franconia

senor_fulff wrote:

guide from someone who is hardly god-like.
M95 is powerful but is inaccurate and noisy.
M24 or L96A1 are deadly accurate and still only require 1 extra pistol shot than M95 if you miss the headshot.
Type 88 and SVD are for people who can't hit headshots regularly. Pop guns.
L96A1 contrary to popular belief has less bullet drop than all other rifles.
OMG the M95 isnt fucking inaccurate!! [!!] You cant shoot or you cant estimate bullet drop
Damn Ive tested its accuracy with a friend on Dalian plant, and it can even nail headshots at 300 meters while standing
Defiance
+438|6671

Nyte, your good, but not that good. You are not god.

Although, thanks for making the 9023829104520984130958192849013852943768493758
1273497130493719857235491732572698732573209571563275327512375th sniper guide for noobies.

The reason people think the M95 is innaccurate is because they don't know how to line up shots with thicker x-hairs.

Cmon folks, get with the program. It's not hard to figure out.

Last edited by Defiance (2006-04-09 02:49:33)

VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6673|A sunburnt country

dshak wrote:

I just noticed... one of his rules is to always take out choppers/vehicles... something like "you have a weapon that can take out choopers." I can only assume this means the M95... then later he says never to use the M95.

What gives?
He means use whatever you have in your hands.  If a helo is smoking, hit it with anything you can, throw rocks if you have to (If you could that is).  If it crashes, whoever hit it last gets the kill.

So if it's smoking, put a round or two into it with whatever you can, you might just get the kill.
TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6594|Las Vegas, NV USA

Defiance wrote:

Nyte, your good, but not that good. You are not god.

Although, thanks for making the 9023829104520984130958192849013852943768493758
1273497130493719857235491732572698732573209571563275327512375th sniper guide for noobies.

The reason people think the M95 is innaccurate is because they don't know how to line up shots with thicker x-hairs.

Cmon folks, get with the program. It's not hard to figure out.
In response to the underlined section, this is exactly the reason why the M95 is difficult to fire accurately (especially for extreme distance headshots).  Despite that, it is still less accurate than the M24 or L96, and noticeably so to dedicated snipers.  Honestly, the L96 was, and still is the best unlock I could have gotten, IMO.  At least for my preferred genre of bf2.  The other sniper rifles have their uses, but the L96 is definitely my favorite.
lord_tyler_486
+54|6752|Upper Franconia
Okay now, you are in standing with your L96A1 in Dalian Plant and ya run over to a chopper. Now one of these Chinese dudes gets into it b4 u do. now you are LOST with that thing!
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6760
So you toss a grenade under the cockpit...
TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6594|Las Vegas, NV USA
Hmmm.... I'd have to say that personally, I've got about 8 hours in a chopper, and out of those 8 hours, about 90-95% was for transportation or gunner time.  I think I'll live with those odds that the baddie would have had the chopper anyways. 

Now if it were a tank.... 

Oh wait, I'd be screwed anyways... 
senor_fulff
+25|6760|Yorkshire, UK.

lord_tyler_486 wrote:

senor_fulff wrote:

guide from someone who is hardly god-like.
M95 is powerful but is inaccurate and noisy.
M24 or L96A1 are deadly accurate and still only require 1 extra pistol shot than M95 if you miss the headshot.
Type 88 and SVD are for people who can't hit headshots regularly. Pop guns.
L96A1 contrary to popular belief has less bullet drop than all other rifles.
OMG the M95 isnt fucking inaccurate!! [!!] You cant shoot or you cant estimate bullet drop
Damn Ive tested its accuracy with a friend on Dalian plant, and it can even nail headshots at 300 meters while standing
Actually i can shoot and estimate bullet drop. It is just not as accurate as L96A1 or M24. As for nailing standing headshots at 300m, that is not crash hot, I've nailed headshots on moving targets by north village from arty island on wake and that is 400m.

At the end of the day though weapon choice is a personal preference.
ReDmAn_ThE_uNiQuE
oh hai :D
+156|6651|The Netherlands
Nice guide Nyte. looking foreward to snipe your ass of
dont_be_ss
+312|6594|selby, n. yorkshire, UK
nyte your a fucking bigheaded twat, wat servers do u go on?
Newmy
+17|6602
OMG Somebody get me a needle STAT. This ego needs to be deflated before it ruptures!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard