Hemperor420
+0|6612
So what do most people use to fly a joy stick or the keyboard and mouse.

I'm having a hell of a time flying i wanted to know if a joy stick would help?

thanks
$kelet0r
+16|6682
keyboard only works for me
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6620|Mhz

Joysticks r pretty limiting, get much faster manouvres from KB and mouse, that said turning a plane round with a mouse is more like a workout for your right arm than playing a game lol
junkpi1e
Captain Input
+4|6628|Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Most definately. I picked up a cheap logitech joystick from the local electronics store for AU$30 and it's a bundle of fun if you enjoy flying helicopters and jets.

As for joysticks helping, most definately. A joystick with a Z-axis (twistable sideways) is uncomparable for using rudders in planes and turning in helicopters, and a throttle for smooth slowdowns and lowspeed constant flying (although this isn't recommended) is essential in my books.

Try before you buy though, even though theyre cheap, make sure you get one thats comfortable with everything you need. I myself use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, but I wish I bought the cordless upgrade variant simply becuase I just don't have enough room on my desk.
LG-MindBullets
+10|6721|Kirkland, WA
I really only fly helicopters, but I seem to do alright with just the keyboard and mouse. If I was more serious about fling planes I would probably get a joystick though.
Torin
+52|6692

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Joysticks r pretty limiting, get much faster manouvres from KB and mouse, that said turning a plane round with a mouse is more like a workout for your right arm than playing a game lol
How do you figure? Even with sens turned up, how can a mouse be any faster for banking than the half second it takes me to yank the joystick to the right and hold it there? At very best, a mouse can be equally as fast as a joystick, if not a little awkward, but how do you reason that it can be faster?
Hemperor420
+0|6612
I find the mouse very awkard to use while flying but again i havnt practiced much with it.  I need to play single player and just practice flying.
Jarheadz
+2|6633|Austin, Tx
i fly chopper and plane with mouse, its really a pain in the ass to do that, but what can we do?
its really easy to control choppers with mouse but really hard to fly planes with mouse.

oh the really hard part is to drop the bombs down precisely without makin tks. that i havent be able to figure it out completely.

any know any program/website to teach u how to drop bombs and such?

Last edited by Jarheadz (2006-03-21 10:13:34)

SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6722|Toronto, ON, CAN
I am using a game pad, so it is sort of like flying with a keyboard, but I do feel more in control. The only complaint is the throttle control. I have it mapped to one of the analog 'sticks', so it is usually full tilt, or no thrust for me. It's pretty hard to keep a constant 60% throttle with an analog gamepad control.

I am getting better at it though, as my stats are starting to show.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6700|England, UK
Joystick for jets. Keyboard and mouse for helicopters. A joystick is definitely needed for piloting jets; using keyboard and mouse will put you at a disadvantage, especially when dog fighting. Keyboard and mouse control for the heli's gives a more stable flight as opposed to using a joystick.
pokerplaya
want to go heads up?
+11|6734|cairns australia

Jarheadz wrote:

i fly chopper and plane with mouse, its really a pain in the ass to do that, but what can we do?
its really easy to control choppers with mouse but really hard to fly planes with mouse.

oh the really hard part is to drop the bombs down precisely without makin tks. that i havent be able to figure it out completely.

any know any program/website to teach u how to drop bombs and such?
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=5321
http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides
somewhere to start.

Last edited by pokerplaya (2006-03-21 10:28:05)

(*Cusa*)craig
+2|6612
i have found that flying a plane with a joystick is much better than the mouse cause you can respond quicker, but you do have to get used to it first though as for the helicopter i stick with mouse and keyboard cause its only small precise movements in heli so a mouse is more accurate, thats how i do it

https://www.bf2player.com/sig/57404921-934.png
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6653

General_CoLin_Tassi wrote:

Joystick for jets. Keyboard and mouse for helicopters. A joystick is definitely needed for piloting jets; using keyboard and mouse will put you at a disadvantage, especially when dog fighting. Keyboard and mouse control for the heli's gives a more stable flight as opposed to using a joystick.
No.

Don't listen to negative comments about joysticks, as they must be talking about the bargain basement $10 kind or they don't have throttles...I tried to master keyboard and mouse chopper flying, and it CAN be done.  But there is a better way my friend.

I bought a measly $20 Saitek ST290, but it is actually quite effective, and it is loads better than keyboard and mouse.  Once you get a joystick, all you have to master is setting throttle at the right level, and once you get it down you can hover and manuever with ease.  I can get level in the chopper, set my throttle so I'm staying at constant altitude, and take my hands off the joystick...it just sits there hovering.  I can go to the bathroom, smoke, eat a damn sandwich if I want, and as long as I set it right, it should still be hovering.  You can't do that with a keyboard & mouse; that's stability. 

If you've ever been a gunner for someone who wobbles side to side, kind of like a boat in a lake, that's most likely NOT someone with a joystick w/throttle...and although keyboard & mouse pilots can overcome that shakiness, my friend (who is one of those good keyboard/mouse pilots) has even said he wished he had just bought a joystick b/c the learning curve of flying that way gave him a lot of deaths via crash-which I cut back on by buying one.

If I could choose between owning BF2 and Special Forces, or owning BF2 alone with my joystick, I would choose the latter in an instant.  Joysticks make chopper flying a lot more fun, and are essential for true jet ownage.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6646
I'm good at flying choppers and I use a keyboard/mouse combo. A joystick gives you no more advantage in attack choppers. That's not to say they can't be equally effective. Just depends on your own preference. Jets on the other hand need a joystick. Unless you want your right arm to fall off.
Hemperor420
+0|6612
I guess i'll go out and find a fairly good joystick and give it a try.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6700|England, UK

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

No.

Don't listen to negative comments about joysticks, as they must be talking about the bargain basement $10 kind or they don't have throttles...I tried to master keyboard and mouse chopper flying, and it CAN be done.  But there is a better way my friend.

I bought a measly $20 Saitek ST290, but it is actually quite effective, and it is loads better than keyboard and mouse.  Once you get a joystick, all you have to master is setting throttle at the right level, and once you get it down you can hover and manuever with ease.  I can get level in the chopper, set my throttle so I'm staying at constant altitude, and take my hands off the joystick...it just sits there hovering.  I can go to the bathroom, smoke, eat a damn sandwich if I want, and as long as I set it right, it should still be hovering.  You can't do that with a keyboard & mouse; that's stability. 

If you've ever been a gunner for someone who wobbles side to side, kind of like a boat in a lake, that's most likely NOT someone with a joystick w/throttle...and although keyboard & mouse pilots can overcome that shakiness, my friend (who is one of those good keyboard/mouse pilots) has even said he wished he had just bought a joystick b/c the learning curve of flying that way gave him a lot of deaths via crash-which I cut back on by buying one.

If I could choose between owning BF2 and Special Forces, or owning BF2 alone with my joystick, I would choose the latter in an instant.  Joysticks make chopper flying a lot more fun, and are essential for true jet ownage.
My joystick is a Saitek Cyborg Evo force and when I've used it for choppers I'm forever correctly left and right where as, keyboard and mouse gives me stable flight. I hear what your saying but I can fly a chopper very well with keyboard and mouse. No problems with hovering at all.

Last edited by General_CoLin_Tassi (2006-03-22 10:17:20)

SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6722|Toronto, ON, CAN

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

If I could choose between owning BF2 and Special Forces, or owning BF2 alone with my joystick, I would choose the latter in an instant.
I had the same debate myself,, and I figured my gamepad would be enough. I already had one for NFS:U2, and found it better than the keyboard controlling of either the plane or chopper. I never used the mouse control. I would rather use the WASD / Arrow keys for controlling the chopper (even with the 3 key press maximum).

Being left handed, I can't use the Logitech joysticks very effectively, so I was would be limited to the Saitek Wireless (I prefer wireless, for when I need to go back to keyboard/mouse, I'm not pushing cables out of the way). I just bought a plasma TV, so I am keeping spending to a minimum to keep the wife happy. Until then I am using a gamepad. My stats have been improving in the heli / jets, so it is working, but a joystick is still better.

I have also used a force feedback sterring wheel (with the pedals acting as throttle). The gear paddles were the rudder control, and the buttons were the weapons / flares. It was fun to try, but I wouldn't go into battle that way! =P
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6694|Howell, Mi USA
I use keyboard on the rare chance i do fly. i would use a joystick for jets if i could find it.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6700
I can't comment on flying airplanes, because its not something I do very often. However, I would recommend the keyboard/mouse combo for helicopters. I havent actually flown a helicopter with a joystick, but every expert chopper pilot I've come across has told me they use the mouse. I've also had a few joystick pilots ride in the gunners seat and I get comments like "How are you doing that?"

You may be able to get the same kind of performance out of a joystick, but I doubt it.
Torin
+52|6692
Someone please explain what type of flying in a heli is not possible with a joystick? I have a very hard time believing that someone with just a keyboard and mouse can fly a heli anywhere near as good as I.
General_CoLin_Tassi
+-2|6700|England, UK

Torin wrote:

Someone please explain what type of flying in a heli is not possible with a joystick? I have a very hard time believing that someone with just a keyboard and mouse can fly a heli anywhere near as good as I.
I can. Set the sencitivity correctly and its all good in the choppers. My Saitek Cyborg evo force joystick is excellent for the jets but when used for heli's, I'm forever correcting left and right. I've heard some people say they have stable flight with different types of joystick but, I like the keyboard and mouse. Very stable flight. No problem out maneuvering other choppers aswell.
CrazeD
+368|6672|Maine

Torin wrote:

I can. Set the sencitivity correctly and its all good in the choppers. My Saitek Cyborg evo force joystick is excellent for the jets but when used for heli's, I'm forever correcting left and right. I've heard some people say they have stable flight with different types of joystick but, I like the keyboard and mouse. Very stable flight. No problem out maneuvering other choppers aswell.
I can control the heli perfectly with a joystick. I think your sensitivity on the stick is a bit too high, if you're wobbeling back and forth. A joystick is more stable than a mouse, because it has a constant action, where as to maintain a certain action with a mouse you must keep moving it. With a joystick, you just hold it there. Much easier, much more effective.

That's not to say people with mouse/keyboard can't be effective aswell, but a joystick is more stable than a mouse/keyboard.

Like said above, I can put my throttle at about 25% and go do whatever I want, cause that chopper is gonna stay right where I put it. I'll come back, it will be in the exact same spot. Try that with a mouse/keyboard.

I can whip my chopper around quite quickly with my joystick. Not only can I whip it around, but as soon as I'm back in my direction it's instantly stable again.

I can always tell when my chopper pilot is using a stick or a mouse. The ones that I've flown with that use a mouse, are never steady.. they're constantly correcting. Maybe not a lot, but just a little wobbling around up and down, left and right. Those that use the joysticks are pretty much always steady.

I know there's a lot of good mouse/keyboard pilots out there, but there's also a lot of good joystick pilots out there..like myself.

I guess in the end, it's down to personal preferance and what feels right.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Lefties need to learn to adapt to right-handed gear. I'm not ambidextrous by any means, but I control the joystick with my right hand (which leaves my left hand to use the mouselook functions for cockpit view). But if you are going to use a joystick, make sure it's one with a "twist" axis and a throttle (for acceleration).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-24 08:02:15)

JimKong
+31|6642|Ohio
Helo: mouse
Jet: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
Eckzack
The east-german Fuxxer
+37|6844|Germany / Saxony
I fly everything with mouse and KB...
I´ve got the vet. aviator/chopper and a nice K/D ratio...
No need for Joysticks...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/384f5f7318c23ecb5909f14b157d6d31e8b5a332.png

IRNV-Field 3... New School Shit...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard